logo

Projects Abroad
No adult supervision!
3. (43 mins ago)
Booking.com
never give your credit card details to booking.com
4. (1 hr 7 mins ago)
EXACTUS INFOTECH SOLUTION PVT LTD
Fraud placement service
5. (1 hr 24 mins ago)
Oneplan Medical Insurance
Not authorizing my sons operation

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Magic Jack

Posted:    dontbuymagicjack

magic jack

California
Magic Jack is a pure scam as far as my experience goes. It doesn't work. Their "support" is a total joke. I feel like such an idiot having bought a piece of junk like this. If I had clicked a few times on internet, I'd have found out the truth about this junk. Buyer beware! It doesn't work.
Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Apr, 2009 by   kate 0 Votes
we bought the magic jack and when we plugged it into the computer nothing appeared. A registration page or dial pad was suppose to appear, but it didn't. I tried to figure out what was wrong but i couldn't. so i went to their website and looked for tech support. they had this live person chat feature and i tried it. for four hours, i've chatted with about 6 different tech agents and asked for help. they gave me steps on what to do and i followed it all but none of them worked. i finally gave up. i am just going to return this piece of crap. and they better not have charged me.
 19th of Aug, 2009 by   Elsie Douglas 0 Votes
I BOUGHT THE MAGIC JACK FROM WALMART, WE REALLY THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE AWESOME, BOTH MY HUBBY AND I HAVE OWN HOME BUSINESS, THIS I THOUGHT WOULD SAVE US MONEY, UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE SPENDING MORE MONEY, WE ARE HAVING TO USE OUR CELL PHONE TO CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER WHICH AUTOMATICALLY WE ARE USING MORE MINUTES ON OUR CELL PHONES THIS IS AWEFULL YOU CAN'T MAKE OR TAKE CALLS, I HAVE NOT HEARD MY PHONE RING IN A LONG TIME, I WOOULD REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL CAN WE DO? DESPERATE FOR SOME ANSWERS.
 26th of Aug, 2009 by   Don Prohaska 0 Votes
Contact the FCC
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   greg66 0 Votes
on april the first of 2009 i purchased a magic jack. i have had trouble on and off with it ever since. they will not refund my money for the magic jack or the unused months on the five year calling plan i purchased. so if any of you out there are thinking about purchasing a magic jack all i can say is don't.
 23rd of Nov, 2009 by   CamelMan 0 Votes
thats your computers doing, not the product, I had a similar issue where the registration screen would not show and online techs are retarded but I just went to the library and plugged the magicjack in on their computer and everything worked and was able to use it on mine after I registered my number, just try to register it on another comp then you should be able to use it on yours. That was my experience anyways. I have had it for about 4 months and for me its a godsend and havent had any issues since save for the rare choppy or drop call
 24th of Dec, 2009 by   Kasese 0 Votes
Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Paris'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419090696595X

Paris: Hello, how may I help you?
Francis: Cannot load more time for international calls coz of a 5 time stipulation...is this true? Called your india nuimber 2814041551
Francis: and was given that info
Francis: Now there is nowhere on your site when loading minutes and it says you only have 5 times to load.
Francis: per month
Paris: Francis let me inform you that you can purchase a Ipp /minutes 5 times a month this is being done to avoid some System Errors on your end as well as ours
Francis: Now instead of me loading 5 and 10 dollars in my five (5) chances, I would have loaded 40 dollars every time for those 5 times
Paris: Okay
Francis: that comes to 200 dollars for magic jack
Francis: fine
Francis: but you MUST have that pasted on the LOAD funds page
Francis: Now it is XMAS
Francis: have to call all over the world
Paris: I apologize
Francis: guess who is not getting my funds today?
Francis: You got it..MAGIC JACK
Paris: as I checked here you still have a pending $5 purchase of IPP minutes Francis which was purchase last December 27, 2009
Francis: you must be in the future
Francis: 27th dec???????????????????????????
Paris: I mean 23rd of December sorry for the wrong typo
Francis: now we got to work around this
Paris: what do you mean?
Francis: so if I add another credit card, that should give me another 5 times? Huh? or go buy another magic jack and ?
Francis: start the process all over again and twiddle my thumbs for the month to go by so I can load this 415 number
Paris: I apologize but you still cant add minutes on your account on that Francis
Francis: Get another magic jack hdware from target and start process again?
Paris: it will still be the same
Francis: how?
Paris: you can purchase again in January
Francis: I guess in your world of "Magic"
Paris: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Francis: Xmas will still be around and New Year to wish folk well! HUH?
Paris: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Miriam'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419090696595X

Miriam: Hello Francis. My name is Miriam To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat. Thank you.
Francis: I guess in your world of "Magic" Xmas will still be around and New Year to wish folk well! HUH?
Francis: Miriam...Paris, Rome Italy... thanks!
Miriam: Thank you for waiting, when I checked on your account, you purchased 5 times IPP balance on the month of December:
Miriam: TS02283850 12/17/2009
Miriam: TS02289354 12/17/2009
Miriam: TS02302375 12/20/2009
Miriam: TS02321858 12/23/2009
Miriam: TS02321865 12/23/2009
Miriam: This means, you may again purchase an IPP by next year (January).
Miriam: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Francis: well...
Francis: I guess I am the only one with this problem today..I will take my funds and buy a calling card...next issue
Francis: I want to remove my cell number from being able to call usin magic jack
Francis: Miriam
Francis: Make sure for this not to happen, ...5 times ..mess...till another month ability to purchase...is put in clear writing when we order. If I knew that, one more time, that I have 5 times only, I would have bought in multiples of 40 USD
Francis: not in 5s and 10s as I did
Miriam: Please login to your online account and in there, you may remove your cellphone from able to call using the magicJack.
Francis: I am a new user and to find this out this far close to xmas and new year...well...you tried...THANKS. It is not you policy but magic jack policy...now remove my cell number for ability to use magic jack, moving on to another carrier until January as you suggested
Francis: Tried that it has no where to do so
Miriam: You are referring to call forwarding, right?
Francis: nope
Miriam: Or International calling?
Francis: ability to call13058489999
Francis: enter number press#
Francis: international
Francis: Magic Jack goes to sleep now, they already made their money, another sucker like me will come around
Francis: Magic Jack Complaints - The Worst Customer Service / Magicjack ... Oct 14, 2009 ... Magic Jack Complaints: The Worst Customer Service / Magicjack what they don't tell you. Telecommunications. http://www.complaintsboard.com/.../the-worst-customer-service-magicjack-what-they-don039t-tell-you-c266654.html - Cached
Miriam: Okay, I will request to remove your cellphone number on your online account.
Francis: thats on google
Miriam: Okay.
Miriam: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Francis: My advice...
Miriam: Yes?
Francis: Put clearly on web site...that one has five times a month to buy airtime...so we can buy in higher multiples.say 40 dollars. thats again 200 USD for magic Jack...
Miriam: Okay, I will send your request.
Francis: Wish Malik, Jake Paris and You Miriam a Happy XMas and a Prosperous New Year.you have all been great customer service reps...but magig jacks policy regards this issue should be revisited...again, THANKS!
Miriam: Thank you and you are welcome.
Francis: Bye
Miriam: Goodbye.
Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.
 24th of Dec, 2009 by   steve tsoukalis 0 Votes
well? anyone there ?
 23rd of Jan, 2010 by   Red_Foxx15 0 Votes
For the life of me i cannot understand why you would pay for 5 years of service with a product you havnt even experienced yet. Ive owned my magic jack for 4 months now and have yet to have an issue at all. Having bought mine from a local retailer, I have also yet to give the company any credit card information so i dont have to worry about a refund.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   MrsJackieG 0 Votes
After seeing all the ads on television about how great, easy, and best of all, cheap Magic Jack was we decided to check it out because money is tight and we need to cut bills wherever we can. We do not have cell phones, only a home phone and our home phone bill was in a bundle with our internet coming to over $80.00 a month. That was ridiculous! So Magic Jack sounded like a great solution. We ordered it and it came days later. It was easy to install and we got our new number, set up our contact list, and started making calls. At first it seemed to work well. I could hear the other person clearly and they could hear me. I could finally call my friends long distance. I thought it was great and was very pleased. A few days later the bugs started to show themselves. Now being on the phone is a major pain in the butt and I have come to detest it. Having Magic Jack is like having the worst cell phone service in the world, but worse.

The problems I've experienced are as follows: Calls get dropped mid conversation. The person on the other end constantly hears what sounds like someone pushing buttons or dialing numbers. The other persons voice breaks up a lot and I have a hard time understanding what they are saying. Sometimes when I dial a number I get nothing but a dial tone. Sometimes when I pick up the phone to dial out I don't have a dial tone. It often sounds like someone is eavesdropping on the conversation. There is often times a delay of about 30 seconds and that gets really annoying to both parties on the phone. When I get another line while I'm on the phone, sometimes magic jack clicks over even when I've done nothing to get the other incoming call (all of a sudden the person calling in starts talking to me when I didn't even click over to answer!!!). When I do click over to answer the other line the person I was talking to either hears music or hears me talking to the other person I can hear both of them. That gets very confusing and I have to hang up with both people because they both think I'm talking to them when I'm not. I can hear both of them and they can both hear me but they can not hear each other. It's gotten to the point where when I call my friends they tell me that they want to buy me a cell phone because they can not stand to be on the phone with me if the only phone I have is through Magic Jack.

Their customer service is bogus and none of the issues I have are addressed in any of their FAQ's. But the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings true time and again with this product. If you are poor or money is tight, Magic Jack is better then nothing, but if you can afford a different service, then I highly suggest it. Magic Jack is a terrible product that does not work as advertised. We will definitely not be renewing Magic Jack when our year of service is up with them!
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   redawn 0 Votes
if you want a phone where every second word is dropped Magic Jack is your
kinda phone

It's the pits

A very angry customer
Dawn
 15th of Jan, 2011 by   marshap.740 0 Votes
YIKES !!! 31/2 hours of trying to figure out how to change my number-ended up having to open up another browser to get the page to fully open up. After that I only got static and broken up conversations only to hear from the live chat that is you have satellite for your computer-they don't recommend it. Where was that in all the commercial hype????????????????????? Noticed they already have taken the money for the 30 day free trial. Am sending this crap back and is I don't get it resoved-I will notify the BBB because they do not mess around. There statments are false. They do not tell you they are taking the money until you have placed your order. Whoever says this is a fine product are full of crap and do work for their company. Seen one submitted praise on here for this product-see it on every co9mplaint board I ever read.
 16th of Feb, 2011 by   Milton Nazario 0 Votes
This was my bad experience with Magic JACK AKA MAGIC CRAP

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Heather'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43609636107X
Heather: Hello, how may I help you?
Milton Nazario: two things i am using a mac when i first set it up the magic jack gave an area code i did not want and on top of that it disconnects from the computer at least 3 times a day and i do not feel that i should have to pay to get my home town area code
Heather: May I know your magicJack number please?
Milton Nazario: i am not that happy that ii have to leave my pc on so that i can have a phone
Milton Nazario: 321-220-8678
Heather: Ideally, the power saving options of your system should be disabled when the device is plugged in. We have purposely designed our updated software that way because when a system goes into power save, most likely its USB ports and internet capabilities are limited which is a requirement for our device to function correctly.
Heather: There have been instances wherein customers missed important calls thinking the device is enabled while on power save. We want to prevent that from happening to you, which is why we disabled the power saving options of the system while the device is plugged in. If the device is unplugged, your power options will kick back in. Of course any calls that comes while the device is unplugged will go to your voicemail or to the number you have set up to forward it to.
Milton Nazario: if the owner was smart enough he would have created a device to coonect to the router and it would run through the network or create his own router with the system in it
Heather: Please be informed that magicJack will work on a computer that is behind a router.
Milton Nazario: im aware of that i am computer tec so i have to run the computer 24-7 days a week
Heather: Yes, I understand Milton.
Heather: Is your magicJack currently plugged in with the blue light on?
Milton Nazario: ok what about about my area code i do not feel i have to pay the get my 954 area cod
Heather: You mean you want to change your number?
Milton Nazario: the system choose the 321 the computer detected the mouse click to quick
Milton Nazario: yes i would like 954 without having to pay
Heather: Please be informed that changing numbers is $10.
Milton Nazario: the install choose 321 i did not even use the system at first but i am using this now often now i dont want to pay i did not choose that area code
Heather: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Milton Nazario: ok i am getting the hint this company's is good at avoiding customers and just wants to sell sell sell at least with vonage you dont have to leave your computer on
Heather: One moment please...
Heather: I am just verifying your account Milton.
Milton Nazario: wait till i start reporting the company the BBB and i will take out time to write reviews about my bad Experience with magic jack
Heather: You mean you are not the who registered your magicJack?
Milton Nazario: no i did it is mine
Milton Nazario: i paid for a subscription
Heather: Please wait while I check that for you
Heather: One moment please...
Heather: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Dover'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43609636107X
Dover: Welcome to the higher level of support.This is DOVER, and I will be assisting you on your concern today.
Dover: Please give me a few moments to read your previous conversation and be able to give you further assistance about it. Thank you.
Dover: Thanks for waiting
Milton Nazario: Where are you based? I’m sure the owner does not want to be bother with the problems or show interest in making his product better so he hired you company to be his support.
Dover: You want to change your magicjack phone number, right ?
Dover: PLease correct me if I'm wrong
Milton Nazario: yes free of charge
Milton Nazario: since it was not my mistake it gave me a 321 area code i want 954. please dont make me repeat this again
Dover: Can I have your magicjack phone number that you would like to change ?
Milton Nazario: can you make that happen?
Milton Nazario: 321-220-8678
Dover: PLEase click HERE and log in.
Milton Nazario: then what? i said i have a problem having to pay to change it
Dover: YEs, changing phone number cost $10
Dover: Did you able to logged in there now ?
Milton Nazario: oh my god all this time i repeated my self over and over . i just knew i was waisting my time thank you for nothing.
Dover: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I would like to ask permission to end this conversation with you. Thank you.
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat

i am logged in i am not going to pay 10 dollars i am now not going to renew and i will start write bad reviews
 28th of May, 2011 by   peeved22 0 Votes
Magic Jack 's advertising is false. You cannot call New Brunswick, Yukon or Saskatchewan. (last I heard, they are a part of North America). Also, there is no 911 service available to Canadian customers. I was told I needed a Canadian number for 911 services and paid $10 for that number plus $10. to change my number and 911 still does not work. Good luck when seeking Customer Service...there is none. Do not buy this product...and tell your friends.
 27th of Jun, 2013 by   jeraldine alford 0 Votes
I live in ten. I can not get any body to help me to fix my phone and I get serve to 5/1/2014 left on my phone magic jack let me know want to do I take care sick hus. I need my phone

FBI Raid on Foreclosure Scam Artists