logo

Long John Silvers
Undercooked fish
2. (2 mins ago)
Sheridan Labs
Charging my Debit CArd without Auth.
3. (47 mins ago)
Rogers
Overcharge on bills
4. (58 mins ago)
3vuecs.com
cutting money from the bank`
5. (1 hr 15 mins ago)

Posted:    H Holmgren

Scam and cheating

Magic Jack
www.magicjack.com
I ordered this from a TV ad on 5/15/08 which stated that you had 30 days to use it before being charged. I was charged immediately in the amount of $47.90. I finally received the Magic Jack and it does not work on my computer. There is not a telephone number for the company with the package nor is there one provided on their website.

Please advise smb!
Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Jun, 2008 by   Marie 0 Votes
Please do not call that number above it is not Magic Jacks phone nor address. The phone and address needs to be taken off. If you need contact info for Magic Jack please email me at Carolina1023Marie@yahoo.com
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   clouds 0 Votes
Magic jack has no contact phone# and won't even give you their shipping address, but you are lucky at least you got yours I have been waiting 3 mos and nothing and only way to contact is chat representative. All they do is make excuses and give you a run around!
 18th of Jun, 2008 by   Judith Bennett 0 Votes
I recieved mJ while I was out of town. I returned home and tried it out it did not work for me I sent it back but for got to put RMA in package so I sent RMA certified now I sent package back June 2 and Certified letter June 11 now they are telling me that they do not have package but Post Office delivered it June 5 so now they have charged me $39.95 and $49.95 before 30 days and I got their phone # but when I called it said I was # 16 I was that for a half an hour. I did report them to BBB and getting ready to report them to consumers complaint dept here in Las Vegas.
 19th of Jun, 2008 by   simonbirch 0 Votes
I feel like I have been taken to the cleaners ! I have tried to get in contact with ANYONE at the majic jack site and just get the run around. They say you need a RMA (return mail authorization) but you can't get one! They say you are unknown to them or have no proof of purchase. I don't remember what card I used so I don't know if I have been charged yet, but I sent the jack back way before the 30 day period! I sent it to the address in Fla.The post office receipt says it is there but has not been picked up yet. Why isn't the FCC or someone getting involed in this scam???It is obviously a scam! I will never, NEVER order anything from TV again. I did write the channel that aired the show and told them of the scam but have not heard back from them. I wish I had done a little more research before ordering. I am usually VERY careful, but it got by me, I think because it was on TV and was a shopping network...now I find out there is NO savings shopping network! Next stop BBB in FLA!
 21st of Jun, 2008 by   Rik 0 Votes
YMax Communications Corp.
223 Sunset Avenue, Suite 223
Palm Beach, Florida 33480
Telephone: (561) 832-3021
Facsimile: (561) 832-8377
Toll Free: (888)-230-0060

This is the corporate headquarters
 26th of Jun, 2008 by   Ryan 0 Votes
I ordered the magic jack a while ago and got it about a week and a half after I ordered it and it has worked great. I have recommended it to many of my friends and everyone who has tried it has loved it. I have heard many people who call in on the Clark Howard show have tried it and loved it. This is a legit company and if you give them a change they will try to help you to the best of their ability but most of the time that is not necessary as it is very streamlined. The fake saving shopping network program seemed a little strange but other than that this is great. THIS IS NOT A SCAM AND THE FCC HAS APPROVED IT so I don't know where some people get off calling it a scam. Pretty much anytime it doesn't work is user error and a simple chat with their tech support will fix it.
 26th of Jun, 2008 by   Bill Lewis 0 Votes
Obviously, your computers are way out of date. Every computer (even a 4 year old desktop ) I have used Magic Jack with has worked. I believe it may require a USB 2.0 port ($20 - $40 adapter for a desktop or laptop ) and it did not through a USB 1.1 Hub. I even got it to work with a laptop using a Sprint Air PCMCIA Card, but there were some voice quality issues using the Sprint Card configuration. Voice quality was excellent with Comcast internet. I would also check to see if your internet service is running slow ( check with www.speedtest.net ) or blocking Magic Jack. Magic Jack was very easy to register and setup. A customer introduced me to Magic Jack.

Bill Lewis
Jacksonville, FL
Bill5Lewis@gmail.com
 16th of Jul, 2008 by   dave 0 Votes
Magic Jack LLC is a dishonest company. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, DISGUSTING, HORRIBLE, THE WORST EXAMPLE OF CORPORATE AND MARKETING FRAUD!!

I don't care if this product works or not, the company is immoral! They promised free shipping on returns, they don't want to honour it. No phone #, no way to contact them. No address.

THEY HIDE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. THEY HIDE BEHIND CHAT REPS FROM OVERSEAS. INCOMPETENT AND UNHELPFUL.
 17th of Jul, 2008 by   Kay 0 Votes
We bought two Magic Jacks and one Premium Plan and are completely unsatisfied with tech support and lack of customer service. If this company isn't a scam then their business practices are on par with local drug dealers.

If anyone is saying they are great, then they are probably relatives of the scammers or the scammers themselves in disguise.

Save yourself some $$ and get VOIP via Vonage or your local cable company.
 19th of Jul, 2008 by   tim 0 Votes
Huge fraud. Doesn't work... No way to get support on internet, phone, or email. Big waist of money! Don't get a magic jack, you'll be throwing your money away.
 19th of Jul, 2008 by   tom -1 Votes
i didn't submit the order and they already put a hold on my bank account. i am going to the police department on them.
 16th of Aug, 2008 by   Gabe Isaacson 0 Votes
I found a customer phone number to Magic Jack. This is for billing questions only. There is a long wait to speak to a rep. The phone number is (281)404-1551. I have plenty of problems with my service as weel. I was billed instantly on my credit card. I have already email ABC Channel 6 On My Side.
 29th of Aug, 2008 by   LISA STONESIFER 0 Votes
I received magicjack & it worked on & off. I had to start using it in my laptop cuz of a virus on the pc. Since then every time I take it out of the usb there's more pressure on the usb connector on the magicjack. well I took it out of the laptop for the last time because it came apart this time! I tried to find an 800 # like everyone else & came up with the same solution-had to go online & do live chat. Everything seemed fine after speaking with 2 people (that really needed to get an education, not just in communication but all around)& I was supposed to receive my magicjack replacement in the mail in about 2-5 days. I saved my chat & emailed it to myself. The next day while checking my email I noticed there was an email confirming my order of magicjack. I'm thinking NOW wait a minute! I already purchased 1 & dont want another! so I find that they're charging me for a new one but it's only a HOLD on my account for not only 39.99 but for shipping as well. So I tried to reply & it came up as address no longer existant. So I read the email again & saw there was another means of contact...the live chat. well here we go again! I had to talk to 2 different people that needed English education this time & found that not only would they only send me a replacement if I would purchase one 1st but since I had a hold on my account from any unathorized internet charges but I couldn't have it sent out if I didn't take the hold off my credit card. He assured me that I wouldn't be charged & that it was only a hold for 30 days. I said well you'll receive the magicjack & then you send me out another one. There shouldn't be a charge for something you're not being charged for. He said it would only WORK that way because they couldn't or wouldn't send a new one out unless I had a 30 hold on my credit card. I told him that I do ALOT of internet shopping & no one has ever done business in that fashion. I told him I would not verify it & that they would get it & then they should return my replacement. He said he coudln't. So I've wasted about $70 on this thing & the clincher is it's my only phone. I have just been shafted by my ortho doctor & lost my long term disability insurance checks & had to give up my at&t phone. now I have to give up this means of making phone calls too. I guess I should go to my local news station, online for now.
 7th of Sep, 2008 by   Jim Joiner 0 Votes
Majic jack works but I was charged $28.90 as soon as I orderd and less than a month later they took another $46.80 from my account.
 26th of Sep, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
I ordered the magic jack due to free trial and would not bill for 30 days however at the end said it would bill immediately. so i closed out without hitting the ship now. guess what order still go processed and shipped out even after I replied to the order email within hours saying I didn't want it if it was billing me now. I then talked to a customer service rep who assured me that i would get a credit back on my card until my 30 day trial and allow 3 days what a shock nothing was done about it after all most a week so i ask today and he says well no credit so i said fine I am shipping it back would have just put return to sender on it previously. I explained don't want to do business with a company that is not standing behind its word for the get go. the red flag should have really been for me when they shipped it without conformation. I even contacted my bank about the charges as well. Customer service is a scam. I highly doubt I will see my money back now even after i return this thing.
 26th of Sep, 2008 by   timo 0 Votes
BUYERS BEWARE OF MAGIC JACK - I ordered 4 of them and had no complaints with the first four but my next two orders were never filled even though my credit card was charged. After spending 45 minutes on their stupid Live Chat being asked for the same info. over and over again I was finally told that my orders had been "killed" with no reason given. They would consider filling my order I gave them my full credit card info. over an unsecured connection, even though my card had already been charged for both orders.

MAGIC JACK is a criminal enterprise.
 1st of Oct, 2008 by   Will Fail 0 Votes
I ordered 2 Magic Jack and was told i would not be charged for 30 days, however they put a hold on my debit card for the amount of 2 units plus I bought 1 additional year of service on each, so for the SO CALLED 30 day free trial I did not have access to my money $140... So there's no such thing as a 30 day free trial, since you can't use your debit card for food...
Units still sitting in the box, trying to sell them...
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes
I ordered a Magic Jack in August. It worked reasonably well for the first month and a half. A week or so after they got my payment, the program went crazy, with constant "Autorun.exe" errors. The program also kept cycling on and off, so if it ever did log on, it shut itself down before you could make a call, then restarted itself, ad-infinitum.

I spent two hours online with a high level tech support, deleting and reloading the program, installing "fixes", making deep tweaks and modifications to my computer (such as changing permissions on the USB ports, deleting files and folders, turning off the fire wall, etc.).

Next, they asked if I was using the extension they provided to reach the USB port, and told me to plug Magic Jack directly into the USB. Unfortunately, the thing's so fat that it wouldn't fit in my port, unless I removed every other USB jack.

Then they tried to get me to delete all unnecessary games and files from my computer. When none of that worked, they told me to run a speed test (which showed my download speed to be 5023, and upload to be 286. Then they tried to blame it on my service provider, and claim I should request them to improve my upload speeds. They said if that doesn't work, try it on a friend's computer. I don't have any problems with any other applications running on my computer, and used Vonage for years without any such incident.

Sorry, but if two hours of deep tech support can't resolve the problem, MagicJack is not ready from prime-time, as far as I'm concerned. Back to Vonage for me.
 9th of Oct, 2008 by   anna 0 Votes
This is a great product, I have owned it now for alittle less that a year, but I have know complaints. I accept any problems that occur because THIS IS STILL CHEAPER THAT THE BIG PHONE COMPANIES. So you have to realize that you are getting value to this, it might not be perfect, but you have to remember that the monies saved over time more than make up for the time spent talking and complaining to the CSR's. Also, you have to remember this is a new company, they for sure will have their growing pains, but I am sure in time it will be resolved.
No one person or company is perfect there will always be problems.

I am sure that all the people complaining are the minority in this product. They have sold so many units and the number of complaints are less than probably 1/1000 of a percent.
It is also my opinion that some of these complaints might be made up, probably from people that worked for the big phone companies. They know that this product can put them out of a job, but what can anyone do? this is just the new thing to use, I am sure that in the future you probably won't even have to pay for phone calls. This company was just smart enough to offer something that could benefit the end user as well as put money in their pockets. To me it is a Win-Win situation, but more so for the public that the company.
 11th of Oct, 2008 by   Anndra 0 Votes
I have had issues not with the product as I never received it but with the billing and customer service departments. It is a joke to think that you can get anything solved by messaging someone whom is not properly educated in their job or with the issues that may arise. The billing department authorized my card not one but twice. Then stated that my card was declined and that they only authorized it once. After attaching a copy of my bank statement they just stated that on their end they show one authorization and it was declined. Wow, the facts in black and white and ignorance came full circle. Their customer service manager was clearly not well trained as every other word was misspelled and grammar was not a strong point. Come on this was a simple conversation, my ten year old has better communication skills. After three customer service managers and an hour of my time, I was finally able to cancel my order.
I would not say that they are a SCAM but I feel that they are a questionable company. As for those of you that believe that if the FCC approves something it must be ok. Wow!

Simple Ways to Save $1,000