logo

Squareup.com
POOR customer service/scam
4. (1 hr 17 mins ago)
Milleniumgallery.co.uk
Impossible to contact the seller and get any info about order
5. (1 hr 20 mins ago)
Reliance NetConnect plus
to deactivate the net connection

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Macys Department Stores, Paradise Valley, Arizona Complaints & Reviews - forcing employees to quit vs. pay unemployment

Macys Contacts & Informations

Macys Department Stores

Posted:    Ms.Halo

forcing employees to quit vs. pay unemployment

Macys Department Stores
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Phone: 623 203 6950
We have disturbing testimony that Macys wrongfully, perhaps, criminally committed in order to” force us to quit ” . "IF THEY WANTED TO FIRE ME, WHY DIDN’T THEY JUST DO IT asap? Instead, THEY TOLD ME TO RESIGN, HARRASSED ME TO QUIT, FALSIFIED MISCONDUCT RECORDS TWICE, MISREPRESENTED/ DEFRAUDED MY SCHEDULE, SHORTENED MY DRAWER BY $10 (ENOUGH TO BE WRITTEN UP) ON MY LAST DAY, LIED, AND THREATENED ME WITH A HOSTILE, UNSUITABLE, THEREFORE UNSAFE WORK ENVIRONMENT . I MADE MY COMPLAINT THE FOLLOWING WEEK WITH THE REGIONAL HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER, THEN ATTEMPTED TO SPEAK DIRECTLY WITH THEM HOWEVER THEY against their own policy handbook, WILFULLY & WRONGFULLY AVOIDED ME, THEN REMOVED ME FROM SCHEDULE, WRONGLY DISCHARGED ME THAT SAME WEEK, AND NOW WRONGLY DISQUALIFIED ME FROM ANY UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. pLEASE NOTE THIS ALL OCCURRED WITHIN A 1 ½ WEEK SPAN. ...Where do we draw the line between taking class action lawsuit and not; maybe JAILTIME can make a difference for the Greedy CEOS, maybe not. However, Please pass this on to Loved ones & always carry a handy taperecorder.
Comments United States Bullying and Harassment at Work
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of May, 2010 by   Growling white teeth +2 Votes
I went into a job knowing of the problem with one worker; tried to fix it myself; then to HR, thenI was set up to get fired. Only my first 'violation of policy', never mind the daily violations of certain worker. I speak up and am causing trouble. I see now they condone the hostile environment. Good luck to whoever replaced me.
 4th of May, 2010 by   Patty Romansky 0 Votes
Your story sounds just like mine. Good luck in fighting Macy's and be prepared to go through hell. I'm there myself, and I have no intent on backing down now! If I can offer you any support, contact me at shortstop41134@comcast.net. My situation deals with Lowe's Home Center and Home Depot. I am going to try to destroy their reputation the same way they destroyed mine.

God Bless,
Patty

A better question - what didn't they do?
Lowes Complaint by Patricia Romansky
Violation of Policy, Retaliation, violation of Civil Rights, Loss Prevention, Stock Market, etc.

1. How many Lowe's employee's are directed to call the AlertLine with a complaint? Do you know that the AlertLine is actually Lowe's AlertLine?

2. From everyone's understanding of the Employee Manual, is it acceptable for a RTM Clerk to date a vendor?

3. Is it acceptable for the HR Manger to work at Lowe's when her father works for Home Depot?

4. Does the manual also state a zero tolerance for safety and harassment?

5. Are there not "Whistleblower" laws protecting the employee?

That's just a start. Comments from other employee's would be most appreciated. I'm being to feel like I don't understand the English language.

Be first to comment this article

Comments on A better question - what didn't they do?
Consumer Forum is another great place to discuss consumer concerns NOT RELATED to this article.

Name: Patricia Romansky
 4th of May, 2010 by   Patty Romansky 0 Votes
To every employee, not just Lowe's employee's:

As you can see, I am not hiding like most people who file a complaint through the AlertLine. Why? Because I am proud of myself knowing that I am taking a stand against Corporate Greed.

President Obama, are you out there?

I am fighting for every worker in this country in order to eliminate the Company traps that are out there!

Yes, the AlertLine is a trap. File a complaint with the AlertLine and the information that you provide will be waiting for you the next time you go to work.

Enough said. I'm coming because I have been @@@@@@over by Lowe's and I am not going to take it anymore.

Wish me luck. I know ahead of time what I am in for and I am not afraid.

My e-mail address is shortstop41134@comcast.net
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   roseabc123 0 Votes
They made you quit because of unemployment law. If you are fired you can file for unemployment from them, which they dont want to pay.The Company would be liable for one year of unemployment pay if they let you go . But if you quit they are not liable for it.
 3rd of Jul, 2010 by   jomay74 +1 Votes
i have exactly the same thing with Macys! I am hired as a part timer, then after 1 1/2 yrs with them, I filed for a vacation but my former boss told me that since I am not making my hours, he will put me as an on-call associate so I won't get any benefits anymore. They told me that I need to reapply which I did many times on the same department that I am in. But they said their not getting my online application until finally I decided to apply to a diff department then they called me for an interview. I went there, very eager to get the job back. After how many mins of waiting, they said that the position that I applied for was a mistake and that they're not hiring?????!!! And so I decided to file for unemployment, I got approved and Macys appealed bec of course they don't wanna pay UI. I went through hell during the hearing bec they (HR Manager and my manager) turned everything upside down. THey claimed that my vacation wasn't approved and that the HR manager explained to me about the LOA which didn't happen since I only met the HR manager once during my interview a yr and a half ago. ANd that they claimed that I quit my job????!!! I know in my heart, I did everything legal and now I got the decision that I need to pay UI everything back! I will fight for this til my last breath, I will file for an appeal and is looking for a pro-bono lawyer to back me up on this case. I am still unemployed, how can I repay that back America?
 14th of Jul, 2010 by   Fed-upNow +1 Votes
I believe you are all correct about MaCY'S. I was set-up and fired as well. I told H.R. that Macy's was the worst job I had ever had, that this was the most hostile and inhumane working environment I had ever experienced. Moreover, that by telling H.R., was futile because the tone of the organization was set-up by the executive leadership, CEO's and high paying administation in NY. Two weeks later, I was fired!

IF YOU ARE EVER INVITED TO A MEETING WITH H.R., LOSS PREVENTION, ETC., NEVER SIGN ANY OF THEIR DOCUMENTS. IF YOU DO, IT DOES COUNT IN COURT AND VERY EXPENSIVE TO OVERTURN. I WAS DRILLED for 3 hours, accused of B.S., and they do tamper with all documents. The really are illegal and they believe we are too stupied and poor to defend ourselves! I believe a class action is a satisfactory consideration.
 15th of Oct, 2010 by   BoycottMacysforChristmas +2 Votes
Are you aware extra marital affairs are not a violation of policy and having sexual relations in the workplace is also not reasons for termination at Macys. A manager and salesperson in my store were found in a fitting room engaging in sexual activities. A sales person alerted security because she heard noises in the fitting room after closing. Sales person was in fitting room when security found the couple. The sales person was fired for MISCONDUCT because they said she lied about what she witnessed. Security guard was promoted and transferred. Sales person involved in the sex act was promoted and now works directly for her paramour. Sales person, a single mother with two school age children, decided to use Solutions in Store which was even more a waste of time then HR. They upheld the ruling that she was wrong, sex on the job with your married lover is not actionable, and told her if she continued to complain they would stop her unemployment. When she told them she was sole support of her two children, she was told she should have thought of them before entering fitting room or calling security. Frankly, suing Macys will not help, they are too big and will tie everything up for years. You must convince people to boycott Macys. American's store allows sexual harrassment and actually encourages it by promoting employees who engage in sexual shenegians. If you believe in extra marital relationships and sex acts freely engaged in work, and in the fitting rooms where you try on clothing, then shop at Macys, if not boycott Macys. Forget class action suits, organize boycotts.
 29th of Oct, 2010 by   mac713 +1 Votes
i grossly agree with all of the above about Macys.
 7th of Nov, 2010 by   carl place +1 Votes
The Macy's I work in just last week "asked" the security manager to resign, (not fire him, ) because he was found having sex with one of his security staff. The gal he was having sex with, in a vacant stock room, was fired immediately. (No meeting, no options nothing!)
I am working for a manager who took over a staff that was a well oiled machine, with people working in that department on an average of ten years. Being the insecure control freak this manager is, we are not even allowed to refer to our former manager in any way. You mention the word "he" and she goes into a tizzy. She wants everything her way, whether it's right or wrong. She and her assistant "pit bull, " who when not up the manager's ass, is sent on attack mode, leaving us and the store in one big hot mess. Here's an example; "to save the department money" the two purchased a table saw so that we can cut our own signage, instead of ordering it with outside vendors, which is the norm for all stores. I clearly expressed that I was not comfortable using this electric saw and was told "you have to! This miserable duo are determined to make us all quit so they can "rule the world" and they will look like heros, for unemployment benefits would not have to be paid out once we quit.
I have left numerous messages for our horrible HR person, with no return calls. Only when I battered the secreatary did I finally get to meet with HR and I have been getting the run around, for the requested tranfer to open positions to other stores, ever since.
PS. the "rumor" is that come January, after abusing us for the holidays and inventory, the rest of us full timers will be cut to part time, just as they did earlier this year.
 8th of Nov, 2010 by   "only @ MACY'S +1 Votes
what kind of message is corporate america sending allowing this to happen.this is very unprofessional.when macy's east changed over to macy's west policies, i don't think this is how they treated their employees on the west coast.shame on one of the largest retail stores in the country. all across the country macy employees are all saying similar things.it is hardly a co-incidence. you can't make this stuff up.it sounds more like corporate policy.employees are lied to, spoken to rudely, managers very uncomplimentary, two-faced, you're expected to do your job regardless of safety issues because it's all about time management, not to mention the oath of double standard that they must take when putting on that RED badge. this treatment does NOT give incentive to work harder. this complaint board is not only therapeutic, but for anyone contemplating a "job" at macy's, because it is no longer a "career" opportunity, they don't want you to stay long enough, it will open your eyes not to be naive to their brainwashing (reinforced at every morn rally) as to what they WANT you to believe.i often wonder if they actually believe their own words, because it is somewhat robotic at times..all they care about, their first priorities is the almighty$$$, making goals, pressuring the sales assoc.and opening credit so Mrs.Public will have more debt.i truly believe that there are locations where macy's stores are not run this way and people still do have great work ethics and they have not sucked the life out of you and you look forward to going to work, however it is not the case where i work.i would like to know if the head CEO will be getting that 7 million dollar bonus AGAIN this year. perhaps he will fill out a "note to santa" asking for that and will put it in the "BELIEVE SHOP MAILBOX" aah, the magic of macy's
 15th of Dec, 2010 by   Jboy 0 Votes
We have a Macys here in Greensboro, NC at Friendly shopping center, that has done the same thing to several of it's long-time employees. My partner was one of them. After 10 years and an excellent record, he was forced out through harassment and bullying mainly by the store manager and and one of his regional managers who will go un-named. These two women ( MP, TG) made his life hell for over a year with constant harassment, bogus write-ups, false claims and general sabotage of his work and spirit. He finally resigned and is so much better off for it! As far as I am concerned their behavior borders on criminal. We spoke to an attorney and unless he had something on tape to prove the harassment there was not much we could do. We have, however reported them ( both the company and the individuals) to the state labor board and the Attorney General so at least there is something on file. From what we have been told they are being closely monitored. But who knows...personally speaking, I don't know how those people sleep at night. I do find peace in knowing that someday ( someday soon, I hope) their Karma will return to them slap both of these women right in the mouth.
 9th of Feb, 2011 by   sickntiredofbeingsickntired 0 Votes
I am currently working for Macy's or at least I think I am. I worked for Macy's as a seasonal visual associate in late 2009. In April of 2010 I tried to work for Bloomingdale's but was told by HR that I was coming up in their system as a transfer so I could get a job there until I was out of Macy's system. Apparently Macy's keeps you in their system for 6 months so that you wont be able to file for unemployment. I tried again to work for Macy's at a different store that July and got the position as permanent part-time sales associate . In September I was called by that last store I was in and was personally asked by the Visual Supervisor if I would like to do visual but still on a seasonal basis and then HR would find a permanent spot for me once the visual position is over. So I agreed and after getting the run around for a few weeks, I finally was able to go to the old store. In late November they transfered me from visual to a new department and than to another one. In January 2011 HR was giving me the run around about giving me hours and how I have to wait two weeks for budgets to come in in order to see which department they would transfer me to. Then a couple weeks later they said they still didn't have any hours to give me and that i have to wait until February but that I am permanently in the last department i was in. I spoke to the manager of that department and she said she had no knowledge of it and that I would have to wait until budgets are in. So now its February and I'm still waiting to see if I have any kind of hours. I called today and I was transfered to "someone that can help me" and got a general voicemail message. Now I have to actually go there to talk to someone to see whats going on. And dont let me get into the bs they put me through when I was there. When I was in the visual department they didnt pay me for the hours I worked for weeks due to "technology" error and when I did get paid half of what was owed to me went to taxes. I know I wont be able to file for unemployment because they'll keep me in their system for 6 more months even though I havent worked for weeks now. And even if I quit or get laid off it will still me the same thing...no unemployment. The only solution for me is getting a new job and that has been very difficult, especially in NY where experience trumps the 120k education I have during a recession.
 11th of Feb, 2011 by   Fed-upNow 0 Votes
Dont be a victim! Apply for unemployment! We have in Chicago! Macy's cuts our hours to retailiate against us when we are late, or whenever they feel like it, we get unemployment for having our hours reduced, cut, laid-off, you have to be bold!! Dont let them push you around! Go to workplacebully.com. Macys needs to be reported for who they really are!
 15th of Feb, 2011 by   bigsis 0 Votes
I was hired as a Seasonal Temp in Sept 2010 in a central MA store. I worked the early shifts as a Support Associate. I got along fine with my co-workers. My manager was a bit strange... hardly spoke to you while on the floor. Things were good so far. The first Saturday of November, a fellow co-worker (20 yo female) comes to work yelling she's drunk as she walks down towards the receiving stock room. If this weren't enough, she's working with a knife...the same knife she worked with the day before and cut herself with 3x resulting in first aid treatment. Then, she whips out her I-phone (slurring words as she does this), and shows the male member of the stockroom something. Judging by his bulging eyes I could only imagine. She then showed the rest of us females and it was pictures of her modeling topless with her hands barely covering her boobies. She continued to be loud, stupid, etc. I decided I didn't, couldn't be my most productive. I went to HR and mentioned the situation. All they did was send a manager to the stockroom twice throughout the 6hr shift to "pretend" to be there for other reasons. This employee never was sent home, drug tested, written up...she was there for the duration of the seasonal hire time frame.
Another incident occured when I noticed my schedule for the week ending1/8/11 had disappeared from the In-Site schedule. It was posted on Dec 24th. I had a full schedule that week. I asked my manager on New Year's Day why that happened. He said I didn't come in on Dec 27th. Yeah...we had the worst of all the snow storms...a blinding blizzard with 18" snow drifts and the governor declared a state of emergency. My driveway and backyard were totally impassable. The snow was up to the start of the wheel wells of my car. The plow was scheduled to come, but who knows when. It was close to noon before he got there. I told my manager this and even offered to show him pictures from my cell phone that I took. He then went to talk to HR. Lo and behold, I got 3 shifts. He then told me in a mean, harsh tone that this would be my last week (Jan 8). Other employees got to stay on til the end of the month. All because of a horrible snow storm. Others didn't make it in either.
I talked to a sales associate about this and she said that mgmt keeps "score cards" on the employees. If you miss a day, your screwed. This associate had been sick with bronchitis and still had it when talking to me. They told her if she didn't come in the next day of having called in, she would be gone. She has been there 3 years and everyone loves her. Another told me that mgmt won't talk to you if you call in or for whatever the reason is you can't make it in. What a bunch of losers. Glad I'm not there and will never work there again.
 17th of Feb, 2011 by   Fed-upNow 0 Votes
Macys is a hard care organization! When I worked there in 2010, I overheard a customer comparing the work environment to that of plantation workers in the south. It is so brutal and the management has such a "mobbing" attitude that is praised on the VP level, that one would wonder if the majority stakeholders were either mobsters or business men from communist countries? They have this reputation for being the country's favorite shopping store, but underneath it all and have the truth be told, Macys treats their employees like dirt. Everyone should read that book, "Web of Power" it discusses Macys in it and is about the manipulation, lies, and mistreatment! They say in business, all goodness, or in this case severe dysfunction begins at the top...Hello, Terry Lundgren!
 9th of May, 2011 by   saphireblue 0 Votes
I worked at Macy's for almost 2 years. I moved up to signing lead in 8 monthes. I was the lewest paid lead. I didn't get alot of weekends off. They gave me 4 hours to break down a one day sale and put up a Super Sunday sale at the same time. I only had two girls to help and a huge store to sign. I always felt like I was defeated before I walked in the doors. They worked me like a work horse. We would get to work a 5 or 6 in the morning and it would be so hot. The air conditioner didn't come on until 8:30 or 9am. By then we were sweating and our faces red. They had water but no cups ever. You had very little lighting. They didn't turn on the lights until 10am when the store opens so they can save money. But it hurt my eyes instead. You couldn't see the scanners very well. When I complained about the problems I was having with not enough time to change a sale and the working enviroment there, they told me it was my fault, made me work nine striaght days and said I should resign because I couldn't handle the job. They also told me because I was a signer I couldn't take more then two personal days off in a week but that all the other leads could take all their paid time off at once getting 10 days at time. Because I was in broke down mode I finally had a melt down at work and walked out. Now I am considered job abandenment. They wanted me to come back and work the one day sale again and resign and then I could apply for a part-time position but I wasn't garenteed it. I felt it was a way to use me one more time for the oneday sale and get a paper that said I resign. I wasn't willing to do that. So I did have a lot of panick attacks because I felt like I was under the gun alot with the time aloud to get the sale set. In the end I thought I was going to have a heart attack so I walked out. The sales managers do nothing but eat and talk about everyone else there. When they changed everything around last febuary, with their magic training, they messed up. Support people are the work horses and the sales managers are lazy. They know nothing about their area's. They don't do markdowns, or merchindise clothes, or do recovery. I would tell everyone who is considering employment with them to reconsider. It is like a sweat shop. And this is in America and At Macy's.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   not advailable +1 Votes
macys is now tellling it's employee to use PTO (paid time off ) for all personal days, so I am to use this time when I am sick. I do not know when I will get sick in advance! Macys also has a new point system we are given 8 point and if you loose those 8 point you are fired. You can loose a point for being sick on a saturday or sunday. I have never planed when I will get sick and believe this is so wrong. Half points are taken if you are sick on weekdays, late for work what is this company thinking? I have to find a fellow employee to get a day off that is not on my schedual that comes out two weeks in advance, and there are time when everyone has to change days off due to life. What do you think of Macy's?
 19th of Jul, 2011 by   VetoForBRs 0 Votes
Interesting.. in our store, we lose 2 points for weekend call offs and 1 point for weekday call offs. We lose 1/2 a point if we are late and one point if you are more than half your shift late (which, at that point.. don't bother coming in because you lose a full point regardless). I wonder if you are mistaken on the number of points you lose, or if our Macy's store is hustling us. Everything they do is scandalous, so I wouldn't put it passed them. I suggest using up a bunch of points in one month, so that throughout the year, you can accrue more points. If you have perfect attendence in 1 month, you gain 1/2 of a point.. but you can only reach a maximum of 12 points at a time. Oh! And also.. If you call off 2 days in a row, it only counts as 1 point (or if you call off Saturday and Sunday, it would count as 2 points because it's a weekend, but because it's two days in a row, it only counts as one call off). If you're sick, call off two days in a row. Always. Take advantage of this because you know they would (will, it's only a matter of time) take advantage of you in a heartbeat. I also think it's bullshit, as a 12 hour employee (it's my "extra money", part time "fun" job), they force you to use PTO if you request to have a day off. 12 hour employees don't get PTO unless they average 20 hours a week, so it's not like I have a bunch of it. If I request, lets say, a Tuesday off, I would have to use my PTO (if I have any banked), even though I could still get my 12 hours in on different days during that week. I've even been force paid PTO, and my manager will just not schedule me for a week and use 12 hours of my PTO. I'm not sure if it's a "catch" of being a 12 hour employee, but it doesn't seem like they should be able to do that. Macy's is a joke.
 26th of Jul, 2011 by   burned-out 0 Votes
I agree with all of the comments! So what happens if you get fired for using up all of your attendance points? Do you get unemployment or not? Or are they going to make resign for that too?
 27th of Jul, 2011 by   Tigres 0 Votes
Is there any way to check how many points you have left?

Undercover Charities Scam