Enjoy all the features! Create an account or Sign In

Posted: 2012-08-29 by

Financially a nightmare

Lawdepot.com
lawdepot.com
Financially a nightmare, although the Roommate Agreement was fine. They are nice on the phone (Canadians) but can't seem to stop charging me for a subscription I did not intend to opt into. Called them within 20 minutes of accidental click, they sympathized and arranged a refund. Fine. But 4 months later I am being charged again and after calling them I contacted my bank to cancel the debit card (and get another one with a new number so they can't access it). Just BE REALLY CAREFUL and move slowly during the one-time purchase/free week-long trial opt-in and read carefully before clicking. They act like it isn't one, but their aggressive, wordy "free" thingy has scam all over it ... and even at the supervisor level they don't seem to be able to fully cancel taking your money.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Jan, 2012 by    0 Votes

LawDepot.com - False advertising
LawDepot.com

On the lawDepot.com website, there are some forms for free download. I downloaded the free "business operating template" and next thing I noticed: there is a $33 charge from LawDepot.com on my credit card statement.

Nothing is free there, it is lies. I downloaded free "business operating template" and they charged me $33 for that. Don't use this website they have false advertising there.
 26th of Jan, 2012 by    0 Votes
Did you at any chance give them your email or Credit card number?
 29th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
If you gave them your credit card information, that should have raised a red flag. No one will ask for that information for a product or service that is free. That having been said, however, I have run some searches on Google and have found that they advertise their products for "free" in Google Adwords but when you get to their website, none of the advertised items is free. So they are definitely guilty of false advertising.
 29th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
This needs clarification. LawDepot offer three purchasing options which are presented on completion of your document.
The options are: #1; A monthly site subscription; #2; Fixed price per document;; #3; A 7 day free trial which provides access to most of LawDepot's documents. The purpose of the free trial is to encourage visitors into a paid monthly site subscription which becomes active should the visitor fail to cancel their payment details before the 7 day trial expires, which LawDepot makes clear. So it is necessary to provide credit card information prior to selecting the preferred option. .
I am an affiliate for LawDepot (write-your-own-will.com (not intended as a back-link)) but do not promote the free option. However, it is important to bear in mind that "free", in most cases, embodies conditions, and this is where most people come unstuck. You simply must read the terms and conditions before providing your payment details, because the truth is; "when a free gift is placed in the left hand, the right hand is usually prompted to pay for it"; such is the nature of sophisticated modern marketing methods.

I am not party to such marketing practices, however, In LawDepot's case, the 7 day free trial is a genuine offer with conditions, as most are, which should not result in a negative outcome where appropriate action is taken. In this case,
if you cancel your credit card details before your trial period expires, then you will not be charged for any number of documents you may have downloaded, as promised by LawDepot. If you genuinely acted in ignorance and thereby failed to cancel your payment details within seven days, explain the situation to LawDepot and I'm sure they will lend an understanding ear. It should be noted that high profile companies such as LawDepot, who are one of the original pioneers of d.i.y online legal documentation, and highly regarded, simply do not engage in such base practices as unauthorized credit card charging and scamming, which is tantamount to commercial suicide. Do read the not so small print and all will be o.k.

Hope this this throws some light on the matter.
 24th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
I need to know how my Commissions will be tracked. Is it by a hoplink
Jabebusiness@gmail.com
 10th of Jan, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Let's be realistic. When Lawdepot has "fooled so many people do you think just maybe they are not being up front and clear about their FREE OFFER. They use smoke and mirrors approach. How is that a good business model. They make it difficult to cancel. They lie on the phone. They don't send you a confirmation of what you actually agreed to in the "conditions". They hide the truth because they make more money taking advantage of customers than they do providing good product. If they were ethical they would refund charges when a customer complains not string them on for a few more billing cycles and then say "we can only refund two months" That is a simple con job. They can issue a credit for all amount taken against the customers knowledge and understanding or send him/her a check. They don't because they are unethical and you sir support them because you get a piece of the ill gotten gains.
 29th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
As the manager of Customer Support with LawDepot.com, I can assure you that all details are clearly depicted to customers as they select whatever license option suits their personal needs. If you do select the 7 day free trial subscription offer, as long as the offer is cancelled within 7 days there are no charges for any documents created. Customers can cancel online in their account in the Subscription tab or they can call or chat with us and we can cancel it for the customer. We do send an email confirmation at the time of the selection of the 7 day offer license and it clearly shows the date and time to cancel by. It is sent within moments of the license selection. If customers select the yearly or basic license they also receive confirmation of the purchase amount. The receipt for the 7 day free trial also contains the cancellation date and time to cancel by and outlines the cancellation steps. There are multiple communications to customers. Browsers can sometimes block emails and place them in the spam or junk folder. If a customer has not cancelled their account, our staff will cancel and based on the circumstances, they may offer a refund(s). The main point is if you select the 7 day free trial, read the offer details and cancel as per the terms of the offer. You will have no issues.
 6th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
I just used Law Depot to do a will. On TWO tries at printing out...what. shows...in the print preview box...when printed there are important sections of paragraphs missing????. Something simple has turned inot something complex. Now I have paid almost $20 and do not have a usable will as promised. Buyer beware.
 8th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
Please call us on our toll free line 1-855-231-8424 so we can assist you with your document. You may have browser issues and we can certainly email a completed document to you if needed. Sometimes you have to clear cookies/cache from your browser history, or switch to a different browser. We can provide technical support to help you print your document. We do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so please contact us so we can assist you. We are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pmn ET. Our customer support staff would be very happy to help you print your document.
 8th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
Please contact our customer support team at 1-855-231-8424. We can provide technical support to you and we can also email the document if needed. Sometimes, you may need to clear your browser history cookies/cache and occasionally you may have to switch browsers. We have a 100% guarantee so please contact us if you need assistance. We can resolve this technical issue for you in moments.
 29th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
Law depot is a scam. They will keep charging your acct or credit card every month for services that were already paid for. There offices are located out of the country. So any chance of getting your money back will not happen.
 20th of Jan, 2015 by    0 Votes
I too was a victim of this scam after accessing a tenancy agreement - as the money comes from Paypal it does not appear as a direct debit on bank statements.
 14th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
I'm not going to say there is anything unethical about the options which LawDepot provides for obtaining a document. After years of internet commerce experience I find it quite common to have to take care in noting the requirement to cancel a subscription prior to a designated cancellation cut-off date. Unfortunately, what I do consider obnoxious is the ubiquitous use by companies such as this of having visitors be greeted with a predominant banner reading FREE Document then spending time to fill out the entire form only to find at the end that I still must register and either agree to a paid or free registration, the latter of which will require my remembering to cancel or be indebted.

If only the companies were up front about this requirement would it be acceptable to me. Without exception my instinct is to simply close that tab and search for another and more transparent company offering the same services. One that I would be willing to register with if only they disclose it without coercion. Unfortunately years of experience for e-commerce companies has proven that all too many people are willing to ultimately become a willing or unwitting paying customer. As for myself, these companies simply get added to my blocked URLs list.
 1st of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
Law Depot is a TOTAL SCAM. I used them for a onetime form which I paid for no free service. They crammed my account for a year and a half. I didn't notice (stupid me) when I did I went to my credit card company they got them to reverse 3 months and were supposed to cancel my service. Of course, they continued charging me. I just now got off the phone with them and the credit card company and they finally cancelled my account. I'm sure that this isn't the end of this. I will check all my credit card statements in detail each month. I will also put complaints about this company everywhere I can a $20.00 form cost me $500. They say they don't even know or track when and if you use their service. What internet company wouldn't. It's important info.

Jacob Gold Talks About Consumer Scams