logo

Buyer beware

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Law Office of Thomas Landis, Phillidelphia, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - Harrasment, threatning, asking for my daughter who is a minor, calling me at work

Law Office of Thomas Landis Contacts & Informations

Law Office of Thomas Landis

Posted:    Maria Zapata

Law office of Thomas Landis
315 E Girard Ave.
Phillidelphia, Pennsylvania
Phone: 215-642-3400
Called me and woke me up stating that they were a law firm looking to collect money owed to Gordons. They told me that if I didn't settle for what they were asking that they would take me and my grandmother to court and take away her house and savings. Still half asleep they convinced me that I could settle the dept for less but I had to give them something to hold for the next few weeks. I gave them my bank and routing numbers
and the were to wait till Nov, 14th before they could cash it. After I hung up I kept thinking about the way things were handled and it just seemed fishy to me. I got on line and typed in Thomas Landis and a list of other peoples complaints came up. I went to the bank and cancelled the check and a few days later got a message from a Scott Summers telling me that I had commited fraud and that they would be taking me to court. They called me at work, which I got on the phone and asked them to please never call me there again. They called my grandmothers house looking for me and asking who Ariel Perdue was and if she was avalible. Ariel is my daughter who is a minor. I recieved two other calls so far that sounded harrasing and rude.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Apr, 2009 by   Randy Cooper` +1 Votes
OMG! I just got off of the phone with a rude lady, who clamed to be a legal assistant and another person who went by the name "Mr. Day" and another person who claimed to be the supervisor, Matthew Burdock. They were very rude and unprofessional. Called me several times claiming that I owe a bill from bank first. They insisted that i pay today the full amount which they agreed to lower to $540. I asked them to resend the letter that they claimed to have sent me twice: once in January and the other two days ago. They faxed me the letter and when I read it, the letter was dated for today's date (not dated from two days ago). How does a letter get dated today that was sent on Monday? Mr. Day got hostile on me when I requested specific and documentation of charges that I made. I finally told him that i was hanging up. Not five minutes later, Lisa calls and spoke nicely for a minute until I told her about the article in the paper about people calling stating that they are attorneys and threatening to sue people if the don't pay their bill.
 5th of May, 2009 by   itsprivate +1 Votes
i get calls from this several times a day.

i have received a message on my voice mail for someone i do not know, they even left social security number for this person.

i have asked them to quit calling, they refuse. they say they can call me any time they want and as many times a day they want. after i let them know that they cannot call me before 8 AM or after 9PM and that they cannot call me at work this is when i started receiving the calls every day even on Sundays and at minimum 2 calls a day.

told them not to call me during working hours so they call 2 or more times during working hours. i have had 7 calls on 1 day.

they will not provide mailing address or any way to verify who they are. or send me a bill of any type to me.

the name given to me for person calling is Mr. Day.

they are extremely rude, threatening, and have all right information about me except for they are calling me over what must be someone else s issues. they are telling me that if i do not pay the amount in full right then and there on the phone that "we WILL take you to court and YOU WILL LOOSE, WE WILL take EVERYTHING YOU HAVE"

this place has lost their license in the past for same type of harassment along with other issues i will not mention even though its public record. i do not want to be accused of anything so i will not say, all i will say is search google.com for them. i personally feel that it is time for them to loose their ability to practice law indefinitely this time.
 22nd of May, 2009 by   Sally C +1 Votes
I have something similar to someone else here on the Law office of Thomas Landis.. I had a car repossessed about 15 years ago. I am now getting threatening letters from this attorney's office. What should I do?

Should I write them stating this debt has gone past the statute of limitations?

Should I just ignore this?

Anyone who can direct me?

Concerned in GA
 27th of May, 2009 by   AMS Credit Services +3 Votes
I had to deal with these yahoos a while back and successfully got them of my back. If you are having an issue getting the off your back, send them a letter via certified mail telling them to cease and desist. Here is a copy of that letter. If you need any further help with any collections, e-mail me at station1 at netzero dot net.

(your name and address)

Law Offices of Thomas Landis et. al.
Four Greenwood Square #220
3325 Street Rd
Bensalem, PA 19020

Date: November 22, 2008

RE: Acct# ********

Dear Sir or Madam:

I request that you CEASE and DESIST in your efforts to collect on the above referenced account.

I’m sure your legal staff will agree that non-compliance with this request could put your company in serious legal trouble with the FTC and other state or federal agencies. Under the FCRA and the FDCPA, each violation is subject to a $1000 fine, payable to me.

You are hereby instructed to cease collection efforts immediately or face legal sanctions under applicable federal and state law. Any further attempts by your firm or known corresponding firm(s) will constitute a willful violation of the FDCPA and immediate action will be taken to remedy these violations.

GIVE THIS LETTER THE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.

Cordially,

(your name here)
 29th of May, 2009 by   Justin +1 Votes
These people are horrible!! They called attempting to collect a debt I had from an old CitiBank card they said had gone from $532 to $1, 689 and I owed them $1, 689 today or else!! Not knowing anything I gave them my credit card and agreed to pay $100 to stop it from going any further and then a week later then charged $900 to my account without authorization. I never got a letter or anything stating that we agreed on anything and I did not authorize the charge. I'm now disputing the charge and have a lawyer.
 29th of May, 2009 by   Sally C +1 Votes
@ Justin.. that is terrible! They aren't getting anything from me. When I get paid and can get some stamps.. I'm sending that letter to cease and desist contacting me.
 12th of Jun, 2009 by   how2sue +1 Votes
These people are all jokes! They attempt to collect on outstanding debt for CollectAmerica. CollectAmerica buys debt for pennies on the dollar and has these people collect on it. First thing you do is ask them to give you "VOD" which is verification of the debt. They wont send you anything. You must put this in writng and advise them that if they call you again you will sue them under for violations of FDCPA. Tom Landis is an attorney in their office and will be happy to pay you for any threat of lawsuit against harrasment. Get a name, tell them not to call anymore and send them a letter in writing stating so. The owner of the company is a rich guy name Lawrence J. Weil- here is his information- LAWRENCE J WEIL
20D VENTNOR DR, MONROE TOWNSHIP NJ 08831-5259
His home telephone # 609-860-1655
His wife's name is Mary. His house is valued at $600, 000. Isn't the internet great? Give him a call or send your correspondance right to his home see how he likes it.
 23rd of Aug, 2009 by   MOMMADONNA +1 Votes
HERE THE OTHER DAY I HAD TO TALK TO THESE NUTS, LAW OFFICE THOMAS LANDIS.DID YOU KNOW THIS SUPPOSE TO BE OFFICE HIS 53 NUMBERS, THESE NUTS CALL FROM, AND THAT ISN'T ALL THEY HAVE 60 ADDRESSES, THAT THEY ALL MOVE AROUND TO, SO THEY WANT GET CAUGHT.THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAMS AND THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED.THEY ARE RUDE, DEMANDING, AND NEED TO BE PUT AWAY FOR A LONG, LONG TIME.IT'S NOT SAFE ANYMORE TO HAVE A TELEPHONE, CAUSE THESE NUTS KNOW YOUR PHONE NUMBER. STOP THESE SCAMS!
 29th of Oct, 2009 by   JH's mom +1 Votes
Thank you very much for all the useful information. I love the internet.

The Landis collectors just telephoned me trying to collect a debt that they say my 45 year old son has not paid. My son states he has no outstanding bills. But now that I've read the comments I think perhaps they're refering to a old automobile loan he had from the early1990s. The Landis collectors are very rude. They've telephoned me twice, both times stated they'll sue me! I didn't co-sign for anything and my son hasn't lived with me for 20 years. I'm sending them the cease and desist letter. I'm also contacting the BBB and any other agency I can think of.
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   Ms. Lynn +1 Votes
This law office of Tom Landis and that of Laurence A.Hecker, have both been calling and leaving messages at my ex-husbands house, in reference to my delinquent debts. But here is the thing, I paid off all said debts to other creditors 2 years ago to ammend my credit and help me get back on track. So they have accounts of mine that were already settled and paid off. They are not being honest. I have all records in reference to my payoffs of theses debts.They are threatening to sue me and take all my stuff as you have stated on this site, and that of sites regarding Hecker.Now what do I do? How do I get these people to stop harrassing me? Do I write a cease and desist letter? That is my current plan. I also plan on doing whatever it takes to help put an end to this. This must be illegal. Anyone who has any information about anything I can do to help myself in reference to this and others please post it. This is outrageous. If we do not stop these people who will?
 8th of Jan, 2010 by   LeeAtlanta82 +1 Votes
My attorney just called and informed him that I submitted a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission and that if they thought I was going to pay $3, 100.00 for a credit card that was $600.00 before it was sent to collections, they were crazy. They then hung up on my lawyer; called him back and hung up on him again. They said that they took personal offense when accused of price gouging. I never received a demand letter from the company. They verified my current address. I received my first phone call today, although I am sure it will be the first of many. When they try to get you to make that first payment to show that you are willing to pay your debt, they are trying to trick you. They want that first payment to show that it is your debt; this admits that the debt is valid. They pressure you and threaten you into entering into a contract that you cannot get out of. After my attorney was hung up on twice, they called back and accepted less than 30% of what they were requiring me to pay. The debt will show up as a settlement and “paid for less than owed” on my credit report, but will no longer be an open sore on my fico. They are going to play hardball; all you have to do is play hardball back. They purchased this debt for about 100-250 dollars and will basically take anything to make a profit.
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by   didnthappentome +1 Votes
i have a bill there and did not have a problem ...I am buying a house and the lady i spoke to really helped me and gave a good settlement on my acct soooo maybe they all are not bad...
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by   didnthappentome +1 Votes
i did not have a problem ...i was trying to buy a house a old bill came up ...i spoke to a nice lady help me pay it off ...and send all my paper work to my lender thn to me ...sooo i guess they all are not bad
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   AZ_Tucson +1 Votes
didnthappentome, I agree.. I have been dealing with the same person for 3 years on an old wells fargo account that my business had. It was well over $8000 and they have worked with me on payments the entire time even before it was Thomas Landis and it was Donald Burak. I agree.. Guess they are not all bad.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   chele2 +1 Votes
These people are complete jerks. Mr Wakefield called my work and left a message. I called back today and he finally tells me it was from a Washington Mutual credit card. I had to interupt him just so I could tell him it was in my bankruptcy. He kept stating this call is recorded. I told him I didn't care, that the account in reference was in bankruptcy, gave him the case number and he finally said that they would note the record and not contact me anymore.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   SSSDESIGNZZZ +1 Votes
These people called me also while my wife was in the hospital. It was for an old credit card debt that she thought was paid off. They called here several times while I was out visiting her in the hospital. I finally took one of their calls while I wqs home. I asked how much of a debt they were talking about. They responded with $12, 500! I flipped. Then asked for them to fax me documentation and they hung up on me. I then called back, got someone else, re-explained everything, again asked for proof faxed to me, and zippo! They hang up again. This went on 3-5 times. They refused to provide me any proofs. I finally hired a lawyer that specializes in ZOMBIE DEBTS and now have a law suit against them. So, I will be seing them in court! Just not the fashion that they expected!
 30th of Apr, 2010 by   Farkel2990 +3 Votes
These same people called me, unwilling to listen. Anyone want to harass them with me? 800-853-4000. Ask for Lou Hagen.
 4th of May, 2010 by   vicolasgirl +1 Votes
Both my husband and I have been receiving calls from these people, they leave messages saying they are from attorney Tom Landis office and that it is important that we call back as soon as we receive the message. Sometimes it is a lady, today was a Keith Malone. I am confused, are these people real debt collectors? Do they buy debts for cheap and charge you outrageous money for them? Are the fraudalaunt people tryin to collect money that you dont owe? I did see that his license was suspended in 1996 for professional misconduct, however, it is now active again. I am debating whether to call them back or not, they will not quite calling mine or my husbands phone and it is beginning to get annoying. Also, I get calls 7 days a week from a retricted number, does anyone know if these people call from a restricted number as well? I appreciate any help with these questions or any help related to this situaiton. Thank-you in advance!
 6th of May, 2010 by   slm fed up +1 Votes
They keep calling my house about something to do with my cousin. They keep saying it's real important that we talk with her, when they just talk to her about 10 minutes before. I told them to take my number off of their list because she doesn't live here and do not call me again. The man was a real smart alec. I told him I was going to get them for harassment and he said he wasn't harassing anyone. What do they think it is? It has nothing to do with me.
 26th of Jul, 2010 by   jo4kid +1 Votes
VERY RUDE! Check the NUMBERS and Names with the BBB! Don't even know who they are asking for~~!!

Secret Shopper Check Fraud