Law Office Of Thomas Landis

Posted:

Harrasment, threatning, asking for my daughter who is a minor, calling me at work

4.7
Law office of Thomas Landis
315 E Girard Ave.
Phillidelphia, Pennsylvania
Phone: 215-642-3400
Called me and woke me up stating that they were a law firm looking to collect money owed to Gordons. They told me that if I didn't settle for what they were asking that they would take me and my grandmother to court and take away her house and savings. Still half asleep they convinced me that I could settle the dept for less but I had to give them something to hold for the next few weeks. I gave them my bank and routing numbers
and the were to wait till Nov, 14th before they could cash it. After I hung up I kept thinking about the way things were handled and it just seemed fishy to me. I got on line and typed in Thomas Landis and a list of other peoples complaints came up. I went to the bank and cancelled the check and a few days later got a message from a Scott Summers telling me that I had commited fraud and that they would be taking me to court. They called me at work, which I got on the phone and asked them to please never call me there again. They called my grandmothers house looking for me and asking who Ariel Perdue was and if she was avalible. Ariel is my daughter who is a minor. I recieved two other calls so far that sounded harrasing and rude.
Complaint comments Comments (40) Complaint country United States Complaint category Collections Agencies
More Law Office Of Thomas Landis Complaints & Reviews
Law Office Of Thomas Landis - $7,000 debt
Law Office Of Thomas Landis - Harassing Calls [1]

Comments

29th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

The Law Firm Of Thomnas Landis - Harrasing and unprofessional phone calls

They called looking for an ex wife of 13 years and began insulting me and asking inapporiate question concerning my children and made insulting comments about my business success.
 15th of Apr, 2009 by    +1 Votes
OMG! I just got off of the phone with a rude lady, who clamed to be a legal assistant and another person who went by the name "Mr. Day" and another person who claimed to be the supervisor, Matthew Burdock. They were very rude and unprofessional. Called me several times claiming that I owe a bill from bank first. They insisted that i pay today the full amount which they agreed to lower to $540. I asked them to resend the letter that they claimed to have sent me twice: once in January and the other two days ago. They faxed me the letter and when I read it, the letter was dated for today's date (not dated from two days ago). How does a letter get dated today that was sent on Monday? Mr. Day got hostile on me when I requested specific and documentation of charges that I made. I finally told him that i was hanging up. Not five minutes later, Lisa calls and spoke nicely for a minute until I told her about the article in the paper about people calling stating that they are attorneys and threatening to sue people if the don't pay their bill.
 5th of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
i get calls from this several times a day.

i have received a message on my voice mail for someone i do not know, they even left social security number for this person.

i have asked them to quit calling, they refuse. they say they can call me any time they want and as many times a day they want. after i let them know that they cannot call me before 8 AM or after 9PM and that they cannot call me at work this is when i started receiving the calls every day even on Sundays and at minimum 2 calls a day.

told them not to call me during working hours so they call 2 or more times during working hours. i have had 7 calls on 1 day.

they will not provide mailing address or any way to verify who they are. or send me a bill of any type to me.

the name given to me for person calling is Mr. Day.

they are extremely rude, threatening, and have all right information about me except for they are calling me over what must be someone else s issues. they are telling me that if i do not pay the amount in full right then and there on the phone that "we WILL take you to court and YOU WILL LOOSE, WE WILL take EVERYTHING YOU HAVE"

this place has lost their license in the past for same type of harassment along with other issues i will not mention even though its public record. i do not want to be accused of anything so i will not say, all i will say is search google.com for them. i personally feel that it is time for them to loose their ability to practice law indefinitely this time.
 22nd of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I have something similar to someone else here on the Law office of Thomas Landis.. I had a car repossessed about 15 years ago. I am now getting threatening letters from this attorney's office. What should I do?

Should I write them stating this debt has gone past the statute of limitations?

Should I just ignore this?

Anyone who can direct me?

Concerned in GA
 27th of May, 2009 by    +3 Votes
I had to deal with these yahoos a while back and successfully got them of my back. If you are having an issue getting the off your back, send them a letter via certified mail telling them to cease and desist. Here is a copy of that letter. If you need any further help with any collections, e-mail me at station1 at netzero dot net.

(your name and address)

Law Offices of Thomas Landis et. al.
Four Greenwood Square #220
3325 Street Rd
Bensalem, PA 19020

Date: November 22, 2008

RE: Acct# ********

Dear Sir or Madam:

I request that you CEASE and DESIST in your efforts to collect on the above referenced account.

I’m sure your legal staff will agree that non-compliance with this request could put your company in serious legal trouble with the FTC and other state or federal agencies. Under the FCRA and the FDCPA, each violation is subject to a $1000 fine, payable to me.

You are hereby instructed to cease collection efforts immediately or face legal sanctions under applicable federal and state law. Any further attempts by your firm or known corresponding firm(s) will constitute a willful violation of the FDCPA and immediate action will be taken to remedy these violations.

GIVE THIS LETTER THE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION IT DESERVES.

Cordially,

(your name here)
 29th of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
These people are horrible!! They called attempting to collect a debt I had from an old CitiBank card they said had gone from $532 to $1, 689 and I owed them $1, 689 today or else!! Not knowing anything I gave them my credit card and agreed to pay $100 to stop it from going any further and then a week later then charged $900 to my account without authorization. I never got a letter or anything stating that we agreed on anything and I did not authorize the charge. I'm now disputing the charge and have a lawyer.
 29th of May, 2009 by    +1 Votes
@ Justin.. that is terrible! They aren't getting anything from me. When I get paid and can get some stamps.. I'm sending that letter to cease and desist contacting me.
 12th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes
These people are all jokes! They attempt to collect on outstanding debt for CollectAmerica. CollectAmerica buys debt for pennies on the dollar and has these people collect on it. First thing you do is ask them to give you "VOD" which is verification of the debt. They wont send you anything. You must put this in writng and advise them that if they call you again you will sue them under for violations of FDCPA. Tom Landis is an attorney in their office and will be happy to pay you for any threat of lawsuit against harrasment. Get a name, tell them not to call anymore and send them a letter in writing stating so. The owner of the company is a rich guy name Lawrence J. Weil- here is his information- LAWRENCE J WEIL
20D VENTNOR DR, MONROE TOWNSHIP NJ 08831-5259
His home telephone # 609-860-1655
His wife's name is Mary. His house is valued at $600, 000. Isn't the internet great? Give him a call or send your correspondance right to his home see how he likes it.
 23rd of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
HERE THE OTHER DAY I HAD TO TALK TO THESE NUTS, LAW OFFICE THOMAS LANDIS.DID YOU KNOW THIS SUPPOSE TO BE OFFICE HIS 53 NUMBERS, THESE NUTS CALL FROM, AND THAT ISN'T ALL THEY HAVE 60 ADDRESSES, THAT THEY ALL MOVE AROUND TO, SO THEY WANT GET CAUGHT.THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAMS AND THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED.THEY ARE RUDE, DEMANDING, AND NEED TO BE PUT AWAY FOR A LONG, LONG TIME.IT'S NOT SAFE ANYMORE TO HAVE A TELEPHONE, CAUSE THESE NUTS KNOW YOUR PHONE NUMBER. STOP THESE SCAMS!
 29th of Oct, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Thank you very much for all the useful information. I love the internet.

The Landis collectors just telephoned me trying to collect a debt that they say my 45 year old son has not paid. My son states he has no outstanding bills. But now that I've read the comments I think perhaps they're refering to a old automobile loan he had from the early1990s. The Landis collectors are very rude. They've telephoned me twice, both times stated they'll sue me! I didn't co-sign for anything and my son hasn't lived with me for 20 years. I'm sending them the cease and desist letter. I'm also contacting the BBB and any other agency I can think of.
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
This law office of Tom Landis and that of Laurence A.Hecker, have both been calling and leaving messages at my ex-husbands house, in reference to my delinquent debts. But here is the thing, I paid off all said debts to other creditors 2 years ago to ammend my credit and help me get back on track. So they have accounts of mine that were already settled and paid off. They are not being honest. I have all records in reference to my payoffs of theses debts.They are threatening to sue me and take all my stuff as you have stated on this site, and that of sites regarding Hecker.Now what do I do? How do I get these people to stop harrassing me? Do I write a cease and desist letter? That is my current plan. I also plan on doing whatever it takes to help put an end to this. This must be illegal. Anyone who has any information about anything I can do to help myself in reference to this and others please post it. This is outrageous. If we do not stop these people who will?
 8th of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
My attorney just called and informed him that I submitted a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission and that if they thought I was going to pay $3, 100.00 for a credit card that was $600.00 before it was sent to collections, they were crazy. They then hung up on my lawyer; called him back and hung up on him again. They said that they took personal offense when accused of price gouging. I never received a demand letter from the company. They verified my current address. I received my first phone call today, although I am sure it will be the first of many. When they try to get you to make that first payment to show that you are willing to pay your debt, they are trying to trick you. They want that first payment to show that it is your debt; this admits that the debt is valid. They pressure you and threaten you into entering into a contract that you cannot get out of. After my attorney was hung up on twice, they called back and accepted less than 30% of what they were requiring me to pay. The debt will show up as a settlement and “paid for less than owed” on my credit report, but will no longer be an open sore on my fico. They are going to play hardball; all you have to do is play hardball back. They purchased this debt for about 100-250 dollars and will basically take anything to make a profit.
 8th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes

Law Office Of Thomas Landis - Bullying/Harassing/

OMG! This office is the worse and most unprofessional.

After receiving a call from my mother that a Law Office called her home looking for me, I called this Law Office right away as I was unaware of owing any credit cards or having any past due debts. (I subscribe to a monthly credit monitoring service and per that information, all my credit cards are current and I have no past due credit card debts.) So, I was definitely caught off guard when the first person I spoke to, Mr. Powell, told me I owed $2, 800 on a Citibank visa card from 1998! (this is when I was in college.) I told him I never received any letters ever from any collection agencies or any letter from their office. I also stated I had credit cards in college but did not recall having that one and asked if he could provide me with an account number or something so I could look further into this as I am aware I had credit cards but was under the impression I paid them all off. He then referred me to another man named Lee Walker, the mediator or I like to call now “the intimidator”, who in the beginning was friendly and seemed concerned as if he really wanted to help me. He asked a series of questions, which I answered and then asked me for my credit called number. I told him I didn’t have any cards with me and he said he could lower the amount to $1, 800 if I gave him my checking account number and he would post date the payment until next week. I told him, if the debt is mine, I have no problem paying it but would need some verification like a statement or account number so I can contact Citibank on my own. He could not provide such information, so I said I wanted to do more research and will not pay anything until I did such. In the end, he became really nasty and I told him stop bully me, provide with such information that I am asking for and if this debt is mine I will take care of it. To make this long story short, this Mr. Lee Walker said if I didn’t make a payment today, his offer is off the table and I would have to pay the whole thing in full and I will appear on my credit report and the lawyers would proceed with their action. I told him, I am not giving him my checking information until I confirm this debt is mine and that it was never paid off, then he hung up.

My questions: Is this legal? All I am asking for is some kind of documentation because I never received letters for collection agencies and nothing delinquent or derogatory appears on my credit report.

What I can do I verify that this debt is mine? He said it’s from a credit card I opened in 1998. I can’t remember that far back but I was in college. And, they knew the last four of my social, does that mine it is mine? Any advice? Please help.
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
i have a bill there and did not have a problem ...I am buying a house and the lady i spoke to really helped me and gave a good settlement on my acct soooo maybe they all are not bad...
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by    +1 Votes
i did not have a problem ...i was trying to buy a house a old bill came up ...i spoke to a nice lady help me pay it off ...and send all my paper work to my lender thn to me ...sooo i guess they all are not bad
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
didnthappentome, I agree.. I have been dealing with the same person for 3 years on an old wells fargo account that my business had. It was well over $8000 and they have worked with me on payments the entire time even before it was Thomas Landis and it was Donald Burak. I agree.. Guess they are not all bad.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
These people are complete jerks. Mr Wakefield called my work and left a message. I called back today and he finally tells me it was from a Washington Mutual credit card. I had to interupt him just so I could tell him it was in my bankruptcy. He kept stating this call is recorded. I told him I didn't care, that the account in reference was in bankruptcy, gave him the case number and he finally said that they would note the record and not contact me anymore.
 25th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
These people have a collection agency called Cavalry Portfolio Services in the same building that puts the Law Firms letterhead on the top of their mailings (which in most states is illegal) Remember, ANYTIME you get a collections agency sending you stuff it means the company you owe/didn't pay wrote it off which means PAID IN FULL! The same company sells the account(s) to try to re-coop some of their money. You would be just paying these munchers back for buying the account from the other company. You really don't have to pay the agency. Its their stupidity that they bought the account in the first place. Don't let them scare you! You CAN NOT go to jail for a debt in the USA. If that were true we would all be in jail! I am an ex-collector.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by    +1 Votes
These people called me also while my wife was in the hospital. It was for an old credit card debt that she thought was paid off. They called here several times while I was out visiting her in the hospital. I finally took one of their calls while I wqs home. I asked how much of a debt they were talking about. They responded with $12, 500! I flipped. Then asked for them to fax me documentation and they hung up on me. I then called back, got someone else, re-explained everything, again asked for proof faxed to me, and zippo! They hang up again. This went on 3-5 times. They refused to provide me any proofs. I finally hired a lawyer that specializes in ZOMBIE DEBTS and now have a law suit against them. So, I will be seing them in court! Just not the fashion that they expected!
 30th of Apr, 2010 by    +3 Votes
These same people called me, unwilling to listen. Anyone want to harass them with me? 800-853-4000. Ask for Lou Hagen.

Contact Us