logo

Posted:    Vanessa

Awful company

Larson Doors
larsondoors.com
I am experiencing the exact thing as Peggy from Brecksville, Ohio whose report I read on your website. I am wondering whether we can start some kind of class action suit because I'm sure if you investigate this matter you will find that there are a lot of other people with the same problem. These storm doors deteriorate because of moisture being held in the bottom of the doors because of the bottom metal piece that acts as a gutter to trap moisture and the company doesn't care or want to do anything about the problem.
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Sep, 2009 by   Joe_the_Retailer 0 Votes
We bought one of these Larson Savannah doors in July and had Lowes install it. Have had 2 problems already in just 5 weeks. The closer keeps falling off. It's nice looking design, but poorly made, and falls apart. The problem is the closer-to-door connection and the closer itself. We wish we had never bought this door and are working to get it returned. Larson Customer Service offered no help at all! Lowes has been great, but buy a different door, or you will regret it later. Today, the closer popped off again as I came thru the door with a laundry basket. We were going to get two of these, but will buy Pella or another brand instead. Also, I wrote a 2 page letter to the CEO of Larson and got no reply. BEWARE of the Larson product line - it is cheap high profit margin junk in my opinion. I would definitely join any class action suit against this company, and their support is the worst I have ever seen.
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   will baxter -1 Votes
larson doors are the best doors for every door situaition. i own twn larson doors and have had no promblems.. i have these doors for years.. for a fact i think i will up grade with two new ones
thankyou
will baxter
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   D Hammond -1 Votes
I have had Larson Storm doors for years and have no complaints. They have an excellent product and they were easy to install. In fact, my husband and i installed them. Very easy to do. Maybe you should have bought a Larson door through a lumber yard and paid a few more bucks for them .. I know for a fact that Home Depot, Lowes and Menards carry items that are manufactured specifically for them that are not the same as the items you purchase through a reputable lumber yard. Not just Larson doors but many of the windows, locks and other exterior doors are made to be less expensive by using different materials than that of the merchandise at the Lumber yards. And yes I worked in a lumber yard for many years.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   plastic bobbers 0 Votes
I purchased a Larson wood core door from a reputable Lumber Yard and it bubbled within 3 years. Some Larson products are made specifically for Lowes and Home Depot but the upper line products are not. Regardless, their warranty sucks!

It was very difficult (6 phone calls and multiple 5-10 minute waits) to get someone on the phone but once connected, my rep's were pleasant and very helpful.

I will not buy another Larson product and will recommend to others to stay away from them if possible.

If Larson were made to replace the door, glass, hardware etc. (things they pay for instead of MFG), I believe that Larson would make a better product with less problems.

I agree with the other commenters, Larsons makes warranty claims extremely difficult hoping that you will give up and and they will get off free. DON'T DO IT!!!
Get the replacement door then sell the replacement and your old hardware etc. on craigslist or something for $25.00. At least you will recover your costs and Larson will also incur additional costs.
 25th of Dec, 2009 by   grits -1 Votes
I have owned 3 Larson exterior screen doors with zero problems. Sounds like the installers did not install the closer correctly and has stripped out the mechanical fastening of the closer to the door itself. (moisture issue) It appears your door is very open to the exterior weather conditions and I would think applying some caulk (clear silcon) to the exterior of the door areas, in the areas allowing the water to wick in would solve the moisture issue at hand. I would think the door is not below grade. I live in the south where we have large amounts of humidity most of the year and a lot of rain. One door is exposed to the weather elements all the time with no issues. The doors were purchased @ home depot at the time. Ask a real carpenter to look at the doors, not just an installer. He may be able to help. The bubble issue sounds like a faulty product issue in it self.

Thanks
 3rd of May, 2010 by   davidx 0 Votes
just rember its a man made produt.
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   moinkc 0 Votes
Larson Doors are absolute crap.

Their criminally poor hardware design caused the latch to shear off under ordinary use. The big bolt you see on the outside narrows, on the inside, into a tiny forked junction about the size of a pipe cleaner. It's fabricated from some brittle cast crap metal.

I thought their highly touted warranty would replace the hardware failure. It didn't. They want $50 to replace their junk latch. Forget it.

For making me waste my money and time, and causing me such annoyance, I've made a point of costing them a LOT of business. I'm at the hardware store frequently, and anytime I see someone looking at a Larson branded door, I warn them off.

That pisses the salesmen off, but tough. They need to all quit selling garbage and empty promises.
 29th of Aug, 2010 by   Ken From Texas 0 Votes
Just purchased a new Signature Series storm door from Lowes, it is not nearly the quality of door that I replaced, which was also a Larson door, about 8-10 years old. The quality has gone down a lot in this period of time. Very flimsy and does not have nearly as good of a hinge. I will not buy another Larson door unless the quality is improved. I was told by Lowes that this is one of their top of the line doors. At 250.00, I was expecting much better quality.
Ken
Texas
 20th of Nov, 2010 by   adam199 -1 Votes
Larson doors are great. I have owned 4 on several different homes. They all have performed great. The ez hang installation is a cool deal...If you install them right you will have no issues...Listen up people...pay attention to the instructions and you will not have all of these issues ...
 6th of Jan, 2011 by   chas274 0 Votes
I have no problems with the Larson door itself. I do however think that the closer hardware that was included with my door (made in India) is a lot of junk that they do not stand behind. It is plastic and did not hold up to a little wind. The bottom closer broke where it attaches to the door and the top jam bracket broke allowing the door to slam into a railing and denting it. I can live with the dent, but for them to insist they will not stand behind there inferior product...
 25th of May, 2011 by   Unhappy_Consumer 0 Votes
I would just like to comment that Larson warranty customer service was beyond reproach for me. 3 months after a storm door installation, the closer failed. I called CS and got a rep with no wait time. The rep was also very courteous and only required the serial number of the door and my address to send a new closer. The closer was sent 2 day UPS and it was an upgraded unit!
 27th of Jul, 2011 by   Mark from MN 0 Votes
We purchased a Larson Savannah screen door with 'Screenaway' away feature. 6 months after purchasing the door, the screen no longer would retract. I contacted customer service and they had me try to re-tension the spring in the retraction mechanism. I tried their suggestion and it did not work. I was then told that I could order a new screen and mechanism for $40. Are you kidding me? I just spent $200+ for a door and you want more. When I took the mechanism apart to see if it could be repaired, I found the little plastic endcap that holds the tension rod in place was broken. I call that a defect in materials and workmanship. It is still not covered under warranty. I will say that their customer service people were friendly and knowledgeable.
 17th of Oct, 2011 by   Mstl 0 Votes
Anderson & Emco is a better choice than Larson. I bought a Larson storm door at Lowes & the bottom door sweep was missing in the box. The instructions say not to go back to the store, but to call Larson. Larson wanted to charge me $35 for the part that was missing out of the box. I even spoke with a supervisor & she said that was the company policy. I have purchased Anderson & Emco doors in the past, & any time I've had a problem with hardware, they shipped it to me with no issues.
 5th of Dec, 2011 by   GigiT 0 Votes
We've had our storm door for 17 yrs. It was one of the best purchases we've made! It has never given us any problems. We've had kids, teenagers, and dogs and it is rock solid! Thanks Larson!
 30th of Dec, 2011 by   JEFF GRAHAM 0 Votes
STAY AWAY FROM LARSON THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT
 30th of Dec, 2011 by   JEFF GRAHAM 0 Votes
OUR LARSON DOOR CAME WITH A BROCHURE STATING LIFETIME WARRANTY FOR DOOR AND REINSTILATION. WHEN I MADE A CLAIM FOR THE DOOR THE ONLY THING THEY WOULD COVER IS THE CORE. THE LIFETIME WARRANTY FOR EVERYTHING ELSE (HARDWARE, LATCH, HANDLE, DEADBOLT, FRAME) IS ONLY ONE YEAR. NOW I KNOW WHY HOME DEPOT STOPPED SELLING THEM.ANDERSON AND EMCO ARE MUCH BETTER AT WARRANTY CLAIMS. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LARSON.
 12th of Jul, 2012 by   Norm Hartzell 0 Votes
We purchased a retractable screen door about a year and a half ago. About a year after the rubber started to tear away from the frame attached to the window. We called the 800 number and all they would do is send us a new kit to install. We are both older and have no idea how to rebuild a door like this. And, that is what you have to do to replace the screen.The entire insides have to be taken apart and rebuilt. We have contacted several people including 2 box stores that provide installation and no one wants to tackle the job. We started this process over 6 months ago. Now, we have a kit and no way to fix the door. I agree with another person, if Larson had to replace or provide labor for fixing the door they would build a better product.
 23rd of Feb, 2013 by   Burned 1 0 Votes
I purchased a full view Larson storm door and after two weeks the door handle mechanism broke. It was replaced with no problem. Now several years later when the 1 year hardware warranty has expired of course, the handle mechanism has broke again preventing the door from being held closed. This door handle assembly looks heavy duty but it is prone to breaking. Why would Larson sell quality hardware when they can sell replacements at the tune of $35 to $50 apiece.
 23rd of Feb, 2013 by   Burned 1 0 Votes
I bought and installed a standard Larson door on my mother in laws home. After a couple years years the lower panel started to bubble/ corrode, eventually eating itself away exposing holes that revealed the inner core This horrible testament to Larson products is still hanging as my stubborn advertisement to Larson's quality.
 26th of Apr, 2013 by   Anita Biers 0 Votes
I rented a new single wide mobile home two years ago that was beautiful but had no screen door. I purchased a Larson Door from a hardware company and had it installed. They had to cut the door but otherwise it was fine. A year later the outside handle came off. Larson replaced the part twice for me without cost. Now the inside handle is off. I can't shut the screen door at all. It's almost may and I am at a loss as to what to do. My old mobile home had an old door and the handle parts "never" broke. This one I'll have to pay for but I cannot get over the fragile door hardware they provide. The company was great when I called them but the parts are lousey. I wish this mobile home had a higher door and I could have had a regular screen door put in. Probably something from a second hand shop would have been better.

Grandparent Scams