logo

Goodwill Industries
Giant scam!
2. (17 mins ago)
Goodwill Industries
Charged a different price from marked price
3. (26 mins ago)
salesman's behaviour

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

La Familia Magazine Sales, Hayward, California Complaints & Reviews - Harrasment

La Familia Magazine Sales Contacts & Informations

La Familia Magazine Sales

Posted:    Farheen Malik

Harrasment

La Familia Magazine Sales
Hayward, California
Marquise Glen came to my door 11/29/2010 a little past 8:00 PM. I should have not answered the door, but unfortunately I did. As soon as I opened the door, he starts harrassing me about giving him and his twin daughters another chance at life as he has recently been in prison for 3 years. He tells me I HAVE to buy 600 dollars worth of books and a magazine. He had no business card, bums a cigarette off of me, and then proceeds to take the only amount of cash I have. 15 minutes later he returned, asking me to use my phone. My husband was not home at the time, but when my husband came home and learned of this, he told me this is a scam, and I need to call the police.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Dec, 2010 by   Refessati 0 Votes
1) Never allow anyone to step past your door, regardless of whether or not you are home alone, if you do not know them and have not arranged for them to visit your home (or their visit was not announced beforehand, like in the case of electric company visits, etc). Any vital information you need can be given to you at the door and they can return at a scheduled time later, if they are legitimate.
2) Why the hell did you let this guy have a cigarette? You could have said no. They're your cigarettes.
3) Any story that starts with a guilt trip on the behalf of the seller is probably bunk. That isn't how you sell things, it's how you practice bad business. Trust me.
 29th of Oct, 2012 by   PAHuang 0 Votes
I also had a similar occurence. Michael S came to my door, very friendly, socially aggressive, golden tie. etc. He was also working for La Familia selling magazines. He came from a hard disadvantaged background, trying to make his way up in his organization, single dad wanting to support his kids at home. I told him I wouldn't make an immediate purchase, but would need time to consider buying his product. He became very pushy afterwards. He did come back (at my invitation) an hour later. But once he did, two cop cars pulled up. (A neighbor must have got suspicious and called them in.) He ended our conversation short, thanked me for my time, and took off. The cops questioned him for a long time, then shared with me that there had been a string of robberies in our community, and they might be connected to a door-to-door salesman (such as this one). The policeman said that no legitimate business goes door-to-door at such times. I don't know what to think. Is this guy for real? Is he trying to rip me off? Is he connected those who steal? Part of me is angry, part of me feels sorry for this guy, I really don't know what to think...

Warning: Don't Take a Chance with Illegal Downloads