HughesNet

[HN9000] HUGHESNET Contact Information

Hughesnet Executive Customer Care

executivecustomercare@hughes.net

bbbdc@hughes.net

1-866-636-0012 (Office of the President)

Current Pin # - 397158

New Pin Starting 10/26/09 is 913854

Complaints? Voice them to William Smouse @ ECC
Complaint comments Comments (224) Complaint country United States Complaint category Internet Providers

Comments

5th of May, 2007 by    +2 Votes

Hughesnet - Too expensive for what you get

I cant believe this fair access policy that they have. limited to 200 MB per 24 hour period. This is a joke when you consider that the equipment is around $500.00 and then its like 69.00 per month for 800kb to 1.0 mb (maybe) download rates. As soon as DSL is available... IM GOING TO RUN FROM THIS CRAP!
 14th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes Net Aka Direcway - Rip off with no response to requests (transcript)

Following is a transcript of today's messages. I think it tells the whole story:

[May 14 2007 8:43:23 PM] Welcome to our chat customer support .
[May 14 2007 8:43:24 PM] George, you will be connected to the next available billing technician.
[May 14 2007 8:44:29 PM] George, you have been connected to Joyce
Joyce (May 14 2007 8:45:29 PM): Thank you for contacting HughesNet Billing Support. This is joyce. I'm more than happy to assist you with your concern.
George (May 14 2007 8:45:54 PM): I have called three times today trying to talk to a supervisor. So far, none has been available and none will return my calls. Please have a supervisor call me. My billing was more than $100 more than I agreed to and I have not received any receipt for monies paid nor have I received anything concerning the rebates you promised. The wrong credit card was charged and your agent promised that it would be corrected before installation on 27 April 2007. This has not happened.
Joyce (May 14 2007 8:47:57 PM): i understand that the wrong credit card was charged. Is that correct?
Joyce (May 14 2007 8:48:05 PM): We would like to apologize for the difficulties you are having with getting the help you need.
George (May 14 2007 8:48:19 PM): yes
Joyce (May 14 2007 8:48:40 PM): for me to help you with your issue
i need your account number please?
George (May 14 2007 8:50:41 PM): I asked that my MC card be credited and my visa be charged Account # DSS7202835
George (May 14 2007 8:55:37 PM): Are you there?
Joyce (May 14 2007 8:56:17 PM): yes. let me have your first/last name for verification please?
George (May 14 2007 8:59:07 PM): George Parker
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:00:14 PM): Let me just pull up your account, please bear with me, it will just take a moment, will that be fine with you?
George (May 14 2007 9:01:20 PM): How else will I get any service?
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:02:46 PM): you can go online to http://customercare.myHughesNet.com/ to view account history, make payments, and update billing, contact and credit card information.
George (May 14 2007 9:04:11 PM): I am aware of that. One other problem, your billing says that I still owe $10.00 Why?
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:06:23 PM): hold on sir while i'm checking on your account history. please bear with me
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:11:49 PM): sir, we can not reverse the old bill but we can update it with the new card
George (May 14 2007 9:12:19 PM): Why?
George (May 14 2007 9:13:53 PM): I tried to get it done on the 22nd of April and nothing happened. The problem is your (Not personal) fault. What about the other problems I mentioned?
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:17:45 PM): i apologize for the inconvenience sir
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:18:27 PM): please bear with me i will just check agin your account
George (May 14 2007 9:19:28 PM): That's great but it doesnot get the problem solved. Could you please have a supervisor call me? 928.785.9713
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:21:38 PM): i'm sorry sir but we can't do calls backs. you can contact us at this number 1-866-347-3292
George (May 14 2007 9:26:35 PM): Your customer service stinks. The atorney General frowns on companies who rip-off senior citizens. Do I need lodge a formal complaint to them?
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:27:48 PM): We would like to apologize for the difficulties you are having with getting the help you need.
George (May 14 2007 9:29:08 PM): I am calling the number now
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:29:20 PM): please bear with me sir, i'm looking for a better way to be able to help you with your problem
George (May 14 2007 9:31:10 PM): All I am getting is a recording. They are sending me to your web address
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:32:40 PM): that's right sir then choose billing
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:33:25 PM): Before we end this conversation I would like to provide you with the reference number for this transaction. your case ID is: 11669915
George (May 14 2007 9:34:15 PM): There is a 30 minute wait time to talk to someone. I think the Atorney General will bee more responsive.
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:43:24 PM): i apologize for the inconvenience sir, For more information regarding the program, please visit rebate.hughesnet.com.
If you have already sent in your paperwork and cannot find the status of your HughesNet rebate at www.rebate.hughesnet.com, please contact the Rebate Company directly at 888-622-9277.
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:43:43 PM): For questions pertaining to a Dealer rebate, please contact the original point of sale since each point of sale administers its own rebate program
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:43:57 PM): I hope this information helps resolve your issue. I wish I could have been of further assistance; however HughesNet Support Representatives have no access to information pertaining to the status of rebates.
Joyce (May 14 2007 9:44:26 PM): I apologize that I was not able to complete your request at this time but hope that the information I have provided you has been helpful.
George (May 14 2007 9:47:43 PM): The average brown bear would have been more help. This is one example of the reason I am against outsourcing.
 17th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes Email - Lack of service!

We spent a lot of money to get this satellite service, and continue to pay a lot of money each month to keep it. Unfortunately the email does not work. What is more frustrating is trying to get some help. The customer service is absolutely insane. They tell you to try in about an hour and it should be fixed, etc. Or they tell you to hold (after you have been waiting for a long, long time) for a minute and then disconnect. I can't complain about the signal strength, it is exactly what they promised me. But when I have people telling me that sending me an email results in it coming back because Hughes doesn't recognize it, or telling me they sent me email and I never got it and they don't know it never reached me, it is alarming. I read that others are having similar problems, but there is really no way to reach anyone that can help.
 2nd of Jun, 2007 by    +3 Votes

Hughesnet - Slow connection speed

Stunned at the number of sources and complaints against HughesNet. I just tested my HughesNet connection speed... 12 kb per second... about the slowest internet service provider in America... so much for fast download speeds.
 13th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes / Hughes Net - Fair access policy (New)

After paying for Hughes slowband for almost 2 years i was hit for the first time by FAP. (3 times so far downloading census records, I am a genealogist). The new policy is 200 mb in 24 hrs download limit you will be hit with download speed slower than dialup for 24 HOURS. Mine tested on Hughes was 9 and 10 kbps
I have now got together with my neighbors and requested Brighthouse to extend their services to our area.

The will be in our area before the end of this year and Myself and 3 neighbors who are on Hughes.net will terminate their service and sign up with ROAD RUNNER True broadband at a cheaper rate than Hughes.

Bill Morgan.
 24th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
It has been nothing but trouble dealing with customer assistance. They have four different numbers that i know of. I have waited over an hour at times to talk with an actual individual. Also i cannot access any of my account info via internet. I receive no mail unless my payment is late. I have been trying to get my last billing statement so i can send in for my rebate.i cannot access any thing from hughes net customer care ever since they added the extra security measures. I will not recommend that anybody buy or subscribe to your service until you get all of these uncalled for problems fixed. Thank you.
 24th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
As above, I am a customer for over three years. I ran into the unFair Access Policy when I returned from a family vacation after fourteen days. My system ran some updates and exceeded the threshold for a home system (200mb) so I am relegated to the same less than dial-up speeds for twenty-four hours, or more, since I have to use it in the meantime. I tried to reason with the outsourced customer service by explaining that fair means that I should have multiples of the threshold limit available since I hadn't used any of my allotted bandwidth for two weeks but they profess an inability and demonstrate an unwillingness to deal with this issue. I don't have an alternative in my neighborhood and the local telco (Windstream) doesn't provide DSL in our area. I will also get out as soon as something else is available.
 30th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes

HughesNet - No customer support, no service for 2+ months

We have two internet satellite dishes with HughesNet, one has worked fine for the entire two years we have had it. The second one, which is located in our office has been "down" now for well over two months. I have yet to have this repaired. I have spoken to many different customer service reps, advanced tech support people all to no avail. I have documented every case number, date, time, name, etc. I have written to the corporate office -- have not heard a thing. I was finally contacted by the installer yesterday who informed me that he no longer services HughesNet, he has a broken hip and it would be approx two months before anyone could come fix the transmitter problem --- TWO MORE MONTHS! I have asked to be credited for the two months we have already lost and was refused. We have lost numerous hours, emails, and possible business because of this issue. I can't get anyone to listen to me, I have been given the runaround on every phone call. Does anyone have any idea of what else can be done? This doesn't seem right. The installer told me over the phone that HughesNet focuses on the new customer and does not give the established customer good customer service! What kind of company is this? Any help would be appreciated!
 8th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes
HughesNet Customer NO Service.

Your personal information... Yes folks SSN: and Credit Card info is available to the person on the other end of the phone with a person who can barely speak english.

Tech support, live from India. Billing support, live from the Philippines. Product bought in the US by the American laborer
 26th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughesnet Satellite Services - Bad business practices!

Just purchased a professional promotional plan package from HughesNet, which means our monthly fee was going to be a little more, as with this package you pay for the equipment over a 24 month term. It was installed last Thursday 07/19/07 and we canceled our service on Wednesday 07/25/07. Despite what we had agreed to and signed up for we were placed on a upfront purchase. Did not know this was done until after install. We have called HughesNet billing which has been outsourced to India, and tried to explain our problem and that our Debit Card should not have been debited. We were transferred from technician to technician and given numerous case (reference) numbers. Finally one of their technicians stated that the equipment was already paid for and there was nothing he could do. No one in their billing department admitted to the mistake that had been made on their part, and made to effort to reconcile. A simple we're sorry, we'll correct that right now, and credit your account was never considered. Because of their mistake, we have checks being returned for insufficient funds. No one should have to go through what we've been through with Hughes terrible outsourced billing department. We are still unsure about the equipment and what to do with it.
 17th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes - Poor service!

Direcway was a better service , least if u hit fab after several hours u could surf again... Now with hughes u lock out for 24 hours, I'm on fab now and its slower then when i had dialup at 24,600 bps. I think they add megs to the usage cause i know i didn't download what they stated. I know for a fact there usage page missed 2 days and they put me on fab. Called and talked to a guy from india that i couldn't hardly understand... He agreed with me and said they where upgrading there software and a lot of people where hit with fab that should not be on it... There is nothing we could do about it cause there service is not guaranteed.

Think the 200 megs n the 24 hours they hit u with is a nightmare .I had satellite internet for over 6 years now. But hughes compared to direcway is a nightmare. I'm not locked in now but called the other day to upgrade to there 69.99 a month. Think that this is extortion. But didn't cause i would be charged the 10 for the upgrade and 20 more cause they said i needed the newer dw7000. I have the dw6000. Did i mention extortion... I think that is why they changed there policy to make u upgrade.

My other choice was to pay 125 for a new modem then they wouldn't charge me the extra 20 cause i have the dw6000 and a 15 month contract... Or get a free modem with 25 shipping and sign a 15 month contract... No good choices here... I'm hoping the get cable in my area soon. That will be sledge hammer day for the dish and all hughes products.

I would cancel if there was a way to get enough people to cancel at the same time. That is the only way to get Hughes to change there policy. I really don't like dial up but my 24600 connection i had is over twice as fast as there fab.
I hope to start a movement here to get people to cancel so we can change there policy... Its all about more money its not bandwith.
 20th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes - Bad destination messages

As of 9/9/07 I have not been able to email my daughter through hughes.net The report I keep getting is a bad destination. I have been emailing my daughter for 3 years to the same address and have had no problem in the past. I have called hughes and talked to someone far away and then I was advised to contact Abuse@hughes.net and they are now sending me delivery time expired. In other words they are not accepting my referrals to them about the bad destination messages. Don't have any idea how to resolve this problem.
 16th of Oct, 2007 by    0 Votes

HughesNet - Terrible connection speed!

I have been a faithful customer of AOL's Hughes product then Direcway then Hughsnet since they started the satellite downlink years ago. It has been a requirement for me as no other service has reached me here.(I am in a remote part of Texas) However the service has become a millstone ,grinding into my life with unbelievable claims of higher speeds than that which are there . Many times it may take an hour just to get things going. Constant loss of signal even on clear days and the service tech's just want me to unplug the power supply and reboot... Like i haven't already done that???I am at wits end I have upgraded at every convenient point, I have boxes of used equipment I have closets of old antennas. I have a sore ear from conversation and a smaller pocketbook from the expensive service that is not much better than 2 cans and a string. Most of the time I have data a speed of 25kb thats about half the speed of my oldest dial up... If someone has something to offer or has something better in mind lets see it. There is no cable internet in this location and WILD BLUE has no footprint here. They have left a very bad taste in my mouth and I have no way to wash this away. Like so many other things in life this small paragraph is my epilogue and testimony...
 6th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes Net - Aways slow!

"Clear view of the Southern Sky." What a Joke. when these clowns installed our satellite dish, they put it behind a 30 foot pine tree. Our connection is very slow 90% of the time. In fact, it is only fast about 3% of the time. When we called and complained, we got a non english speaking person. After several calls, we have been told to Pay $230.00 to move the Satellite dish from behind the tree. We been told it is our wireless net work. We replaced that with no changes in slow service. We were told to upgrade. EXCUSE ME! You offer non english speaking support, Piss poor installation of the dish, no refunds for crap as service and YOU WANT MORE OF MY MONEY FOR AN UPGRADE!!! Dial up is more reliable and quicker than what we have. We are dumping Hugesnet.
 10th of Nov, 2007 by    +1 Votes

Hughesnet - Very slow internet!

I pay over $100.oo per month for this satellite service. It's sooo slow. Dial up modem was faster. On line tests show that the service is within their guidelines, and that the problem lies with heavy traffic at various times of the day.
 10th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes Net And Direcway - Poor service / unfair practice!

DirecWay and Hughes.net Satellite Internet companies (now one in the same) are selling Oregonians a service contract that they cannot meet. They advertise a level of service that is attractive and then fail to deliver. If you try to have their technical support address the issue, they send you to India for 2 hours of run around (while they try bullshit non-technical attempts and ultimately claim to have to call you back from the American "advanced" technical service group). These folks wait 2 weeks to call you and then tell you that "based on our system tests in the control center it is your equipment". They then expect you to hire an independent installer for $100's to come fix it. If you try to cancel the contract, they will charge you $300. This is a trap and completely unfair. IT MUST BE AN ILLEGAL PRACTICE. Someone PLEASE get these bastards and serve up justice for those of us trapped by this unfair practice. I’ll sign the class action without hesitation... contact me!

Here are the speed tests since June of 2007 for my account. They "guarantee 650Kbps download" as part of the contract.

November 9th, 06:12PM - 154/177 kbps
July 2nd, 10:32PM - 61/140 kbps
July 2nd, 10:30PM - 71/70 kbps
June 14th, 10:17PM - 289/132 kbps
June 14th, 10:07PM - 477/143 kbps
June 14th, 10:05PM - 522/26 kbps.
 13th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes Net - Unbelieveably TERRIBLE service
www.myhughesnet.com

I just checked my satellite speed and the results were 72 down and 38 up and Hughes Net has the nerve to call this high speed internet service?? What a joke! I also just called the toll free number to ask WHY it is so slow and was told the wait time could be in excess of 30 minutes. Imagine that!! Everyone in the world is calling them for the same reason___POOR SERVICE but HIGH MONTHLY PREMIUMS -and the service is NO better than dial-up--matter of fact this junk makes dial up look better every day-and the cost is MUCH cheaper-this is the biggest rip-off i have ever experienced. Stay away from this provider.
 25th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughesnet.com - poor service or no service
Hughesnet.com
Croydon
Pennsylvania
Hughesnet.com

I called to find out more information. The sales person on the other end was hard to hear, I do have a hearing problem. I did announce this after the second time of my hearing prob. He then screamed to "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!" I asked why he was now yelling at me, he I cant hear. I ended the call.
 6th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

HughesNet - VERY POOR SERVICE
874 CR 992
Iuka
Mississippi
Phone: 1-662-279-3814

I placed an order to upgrade my Hughesnet Equipment 12-04-07. The Rep. called me while I was at work....took 1/2 day off (lost money) to meet him and take him to my home to up-grade.......Defective DW7000 (as I was told by installer)...4 hours later......he left my home with no excuse as to why......all I see is his tail lights leaving my driveway! I called Customer support and at this point I feel I was "blown off". I will let this board know what happens.....A class action suit needs to be put in place!
I am so angry! I try to be a gentleman in everything I do, but, I would be fired if I did this to one of my customers! (as it sould be!). Hughes Comm. CHECK YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 23rd of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Hughes Network - Omisison of original contract!
Hughes Network
11717 Exploration Lane
Germantown
Maryland
Phone: 301-428-1868
www.hughes.com

I never had any problems with my internet speed or had heard of a "fair access policy" until Hughes Network took over Direcway. For the past year I thought the problem was with Dell computers and have spent numerous hours trying to figure out what was going on, Dell even replaced my hard drive. Only this past week have I learned that it is not my computer but my internet service.

After contacting Hughes Network I was informed that even though I do not use my internet everyday that I still am using more than I'm allowed for daily use. In order to abide by their fair access policy they will slow down my access speed to 8 kbs for 24 hours at which time my speed will return to normal.

I can however "upgrade" my service to either pro or pro-plus in order to "overcome" the fair access policy which still limits my internet usage. Either I can purchase a new router for $25 shipping fee plus $69.99 or $79.99/mo or use the same router with a monthly fee of $89.99. Hughes Network is changing the ORIGINAL contract I agreed to when purchasing this product without "fair" notice and then expecting us to abide by their rules. For many of us who use satelite are those who live out in the country without access to other services. Personally why should have to "eat" the original cost of $600 in order to switch to a landline when I already had an original contract stating my usage?

Since writing this complaint the customer service referred me to call the technical department to allow me access back online. However in order to access internet I had to "agree" to their service contract!

HughesNet Logo HughesNet