logo

Spells
www.luckymojo.com is fake
2. (25 mins ago)
MyIncomeSciences.com
People should stay far away from this type of business
3. (27 mins ago)

Hidden Fees

H&R Block
3201 Grand Ave
Oakland, California
Prior to making my appointment, I was given a general quote for my state and federal filing fees. Being that I was single with one job, I that I would be in that ballpark. Not!! After completing a simple 1040A @$70.00, I was charged $25.00 for Childcare calculation, $35.00 Child Tax Worksheet preparation, $9.00 Head of Household Determination Status, Etc. Totaling $232.00. These additional charges for having two children are outrageous!! It took 10 seconds to enter this information. H&R BLOCK NEEDS TO POST ITS FEES ON THE WALL!! If I knew their billing practices I would have simply left and not wasted my time. Never Again!!
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Mar, 2010 by   Ten Year Tax Pro 0 Votes
Bray, moan, and whine. We don't charge you on the basis of time but you are charged on the basis of forms filed and determinations made. If you'd rather go to a CPA firm and be charged while the accountants are sitting around gabbing, or in the rest room, or checking their personal email because something in your tax information spurred them to look something of their own up...by all means go there and be happier. If you think that kind of stuff doesn't happen, take it from someone who also works in a CPA office...it does.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   Taxprep4U 0 Votes
You were shown the fee and you signed the forms. Time to start acting like an adult and
take responsibility for your actions.
 1st of Jun, 2010 by   MoonCat13 0 Votes
Those were not hidden charges - the title of your post is misleading. There is a charge for every form or calculation. They cannot be posted on the wall - it would take up all four walls due to the astronomical number of forms and other variables involved. If you thought the price was to high, you had the option of leaving and not paying for the service. However, had you gone anywhere else, the fees would've been even higher.

If you want to talk about hidden fees - try Turbo Tax - they advertize that it's free, but it never actually is.
 29th of Sep, 2010 by   KCHJ 0 Votes
Thank you for all of your remarks. No offense taken. However, I did discuss my status and was given a quote over the phone. I did not expect it to be exact, but at least in the ball park. After sitting for several hours, I did pay the amount requested. I am now doing my taxes myself. I will not "whine" anymore. I will do as always and take my business elsewhere when I am not satisfied. I felt my tax preparer was inexperienced (unlike before) and I just was not happy at all with experience. In addition, I was warned by several co-workers with bad experiences. One again, thank you for your thoughts and I hope the cheaper software does not affect your employment.

Cosigning a Car Loan