logo

Silverleaf Resorts
Scam
2. (6 mins ago)
Zazzle
will not eespond to correct their mistake
3. (9 mins ago)
.opalannies.com
SICK KITTENS BAD BREEDER
4. (12 mins ago)
SafeWay
Minors touching alcohol
5. (15 mins ago)
Publix
Do they really care about the worker

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Untraceble

Scammers

Holiday Inn
holidayinn.com
I recently made an online reservation with Holiday Inn Express. Their website clearly states that "a deposit for the entire stay" will be billed upon making the reservation.

Since the definition of "deposit" in this situation is this: "down payment: a partial payment made at the time of purchase; the balance to be paid later, " of course I assumed that Holiday Inn knew what the word "deposit " actually means and that therefore they would be taking a "down payment, " or percentage of the total charge.

I assumed that their web designer and/or corporate office has a dictionary if they don't know what "deposit" means.

Apparently they don't know, and don't have a dictionary. Holiday Inn has decided to change the dictionary meaning of the word "deposit" to mean, "the entire fee." I called Holiday Inn's 800 number to check on how much they had charged my card, and was told that it was the whole amount.

The woman I spoke to thought that saying "for the entire stay" somehow meant not a percentage for each night reserved, but "the entire fee."

There is no point discussing word definitions with someone who hasn't any power over corporate policy in the first place, but I find it exceedingly annoying to have to assume--rightly in this case--that the people in charge of a large corporation don't actually know the English language well enough to write policy.
Comments United States Hotels
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Aug, 2009 by   Aby59 0 Votes
The Holiday Inn in NYC as well as various other hotels in the city allow non-guests to use their pool for a fee. I contacted them a week prior to verify the cost. I was told that it normally costs $60 dollars but after 3pm Monday through Sunday it costs $25 per person. I decided this weekend to take my mom and 7 year old niece. When we arrived the pool attendant asked for $60 for each of us. I explained that the person on the phone indicated that it was only $25 per person after 3pm and had we known he was going to charge the full $60 we would have come earlier. He refused to at least allow my mom to enter for $25 who was not even going to use the pool. It would be nice if we received some sort of compensation at least the $60 dollars for my mom who did not even utilize the facility and we only stayed for an hour maybe an hour and a half. The front desk at the lobby refused us the free passes or compensation the pool attendant indicated we would receive. I do not blame the Holiday Inn since the pool is a seperate business, however the pool attendants need to ensure that they give the correct information to the receptionists at the front desk when customers call.
 19th of Nov, 2009 by   bobtheman 0 Votes
"Entire stay" sure summed it up the moment I read it. Otherwise it would have said "one night" "two nights" etc.

Now sure how that makes them "scammers." Maybe you should look up "scammer" in the Webster's.
 7th of Dec, 2009 by   darkeegan 0 Votes
pathetic complaint by someone who doesnt seem to know the definition of deposit. although it can mean partial payment, 3/3 its part and yet entirety. in this case you were clearly informed that the portion that compromised the deposit was the entire payment. i could only hope that you were charged a damage deposit as well just to add insult to stupidity
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   Interested Observer 0 Votes
It sounds like there's a possible disconnect with using the words "deposit" and "entire stay" in the same sentence - at least for the OP, anyway. If this is a common misunderstanding (I'm not saying it is), then it could easily be solved by Holiday Inn's site admin/developer changing "deposit" to "payment."

That way there's no room for interpretation. JMHO.

Pay As You Drive Auto Insurance