logo

FCL
FRESH CUT BG / SBLC, MTN FOR LEASE
4. (59 mins ago)
Wyndham Hotels And Resorts
Tried to hook but failed
5. (1 hr 46 mins ago)
Whatever Works
Don't even bother with this company unless you like being frustrated

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Human Resources

HH Gregg
Indianaplos, Indiana
hhgregg.com
HHGregg has terrible business practices in employee relations. Although they claim to be family operated, and family focused, this company requires salaried managers to work open to close shifts 3 times a week! Upon hire, managers are told they will work the standard 45 hour work week, until peak season. It's a lie. They also have weeks where they only have one day off, and they are often required to work extra.

A typical retail schedule is a morning manager works 8-5 and a closer works 1-10. The others fill in or take their day off.
But not here!
They employ a measly 3 managers per store, and respond to suggestions to hire a 4th manager with "Ok, then we will cut your salary by a percentage." From a company that pays bonuses on negative comps, and makes a TON of money each day, they don't even stand against companies that make way less, and yet still make sure their managers are not burned out.

It's no wonder HH Gregg has internal theft problems, and a high rate of turnover. The managers they hire are low caliber. Everyone knows that you can hire a single person who has no life and work them till they quit. Or you can hire family focused people that have a reason to make a loyal career.

Also, they constantly mess up peoples benefits, bonuses, paychecks, reimbursements, and W2's. It was June before we got ours!! You'd think a company that wants to make an impression on new markets would deal with these matters with urgency.

Shame on them. I vote
WORST PLACE TO WORK!!
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Aug, 2008 by   Cindy 0 Votes
I bought my 4 appliances at HHGREGG and have had problems with 2 of them.

I am not going to get into all the details but it has been 2 months and the problems still aren't solved.

They have very poor customer service and I don't know about their computer system. They never can find orders and information about an order.

I will not shop HHGREGG again.
 24th of Jan, 2010 by   xcelcius 0 Votes
I worked there 3 whole weeks... No thanks. When it come time to get a paycheck, they would also attach a "draw statement" saying I had to make 300, then 600, then $900 worth of commission for the week to get paid any commission at all. Sounds like no big deal, but when you sell a $4, 000 tv that pays $4 in comission, you can do the math.

As for the company itself, the managers are rude, the co-employees are a joke and the training program was almost embarrassing to partake in. Horrible company with extremely overpriced products. I don't wish failure on anyone, but I don't think this company needs to be in business another second.
 6th of Aug, 2011 by   IK478 0 Votes
I agree completely! This company is by far the absolute worst to work for, manager or otherwise. I used to be in the warehouse, WORST JOB I EVER TOOK! I swear you're treated better by Drill Sergeants than by these people. Every day I went into work I was wishing I was being smoked in basic training. I only accepted a position at hhgregg because I was desperate for money to pay bills. I'm sure glad I'm not working there anymore, it was the worst experience of my entire life. Like one of my buddies says, who's a sales guy over there, "once you can leave, you can only go up." It's true! After leaving that job I got a helluva lot better job!
 2nd of Dec, 2011 by   herpa-derp 0 Votes
I was hired recently at the HHgregg store in Vernon Hills, IL. I was told I would work around 40-45rs a week as a sales associate in cpu/laptops/tablets. Lies, the first week my schedule was 59 hours. My first day included ZERO training, I was not shown how to do anything. When I asked "do I need to punch in?" "Can you show me how to fill out a "i", "t", "d" ticket" the generic response was "don't worry about it." I sold 7 computers on my first day and was LOL'ing big time at the management...My manager Chris Miller was absolute idiot. You could tell he was just promoted as he knew nothing about "management" or how to manage his staff. You could tell the managers were burnt out based on their terrible additudes. I'm glad I only gave this poor version of a "Circuit City, " 2 days of my time. Its very obvious this retail store gets deals on limited lines or expiring models as 85% of the cpu's I sold were HP's, HP announced officially in early August 2011 they will no longer be in the computer/desktop business...Yikes!!
 30th of Jul, 2012 by   john2121 0 Votes
I too worked there for about 3 months part time. made min wage every single paycheck. when the store is dead, like it was every single shift, literally...you make min wage, but you owe it back, called draw. so if you sell an entire kitchen worth 7, 500, you pay every cent back to the company until you reach what you made in min wage. so basically, no matter how hard you work, how much you sell, how dead the store is, you'll always make min wage. quit after 3 months. oh and you also pay for your uniform, i think it was 30.00, mandatory. they'll never compete with legit companies.
 16th of Oct, 2013 by   secret040370 0 Votes
I trying to get my check stubs off the website and cant get anyone on the phone to help me!
 25th of Nov, 2013 by   angry hobbit 0 Votes
I worked in HHgregg in Vernon hills IL, i worked as a CSM ( customer service merchandiser) I told them that I needed a job so I could fix my car and have money for bills. They gave me a shot, said I would work 25 hours at the most per week and would likely be a morning person. No problem, figured this would turn my sleep schedule around, as i worked at target late night shifts, needed a change after that. First day in my manager was a bitch for absolutely no reason, she just acted nice at the interview switched around to being a jealous person, apparently shes very defensive of the males there because he little finance left her when she moved from California to Illinois, needless to say im in a committed relationship have been for quite some time, my significant other came in to bring me a snack and check in on me since i had an injury still to my ribs from working at target, she was sooooo pissed off afterwords cause she was asking if he wanted to buy something and he said no...im here to see my girlfriend, where is she? i was in the back putting stuff away even though its not my job when she stormed back there, proceeded to yell at me and then totally went bitch mode at me. I got really offended by it and kinda just brushed it off later with a beer. Every day working there after that, she would do nothing that was her job, instead she would dump it on me, and yell at me for not understanding what needed to be done. I had very VERY little training, they were horrible with that. she just sits on her iPhone dilly dallying away all day while i slave over what is supposed to be her job. I recently have quit. Especially after I called in because I had a family emergency with my mom, she was in the hospital and needed me to be there with her for the tests they were running, she couldn't drive home afterwords, i thought okay no big deal let me call work. so i called and she said okay see you tomorrow, well she didn't hang up the phone completely and i heard her say to everyone there, "I THINK SHES LYING, SHES FUCKING LYING" that's when i said the fuck on the other side of the phone and she realized that she hadnt hung up. Next day i came in to work my normal shift and they pulled me aside to tell me that family should never interfere with work. I was like you guys told me if i needed to call in it wouldn't be a big deal. I only do that when its of dire need. so they proceeded to yell at me more, and i went along with my normal work day. They are absolutely one of the worst companies i have ever EVER worked with and honestly I was so excited to quit. I could careless if im getting less pay, im happy.
 3rd of Dec, 2013 by   Ftwaynehhgregg 0 Votes
{rtf1ansiansicpg1252
{fonttblf0fnilfcharset0 CourierNewPSMT;}
{colortbl;red255green255blue255;red0green0blue0;red255green255blue255;}
deftab720
pardpardeftab720partightenfactor0

f0fs24 cf2 cb3 expnd0expndtw0kerning0
outl0strokewidth0 strokec2 I bought a Bosch dishwasher a few weeks ago. When I got it home I found it was missing the front kick panel. I called them and after being bounced around and on hold they said they found it. I came in and asked a salesperson about it and they sent me to customer service desk. The guy goes in back and brings out the wrong kick plate. After trying to convince me it was the right one I found the same model and held it up to it. The holes didn't line up and the one I have is stainless not painted grey metallic. They said they ordered it for me so I decided to get the power cord kit for it. The sales lady took me to customer service to ring me up and they wouldn't let her use the terminal. After bouncing to 3 terminals I was able to get out of there. Pissed off by now I installed the dishwasher with no kick plate. Last week I called to check on it immediately they gave me the runaround transferring my call to who ever would give me the time of day. After the 4th person I had enough and made the salesperson walk to someone who could help me. That person said she would personally take care of it and that it wasn't ordered. It is week 3 I went in there today because I was in the market for a microwave. The salesman came up and I asked about my kick plate. He said I would have to go to customer service. Really pissed now I told him he better look into it. He came back with no answers. Where is the customer service? I cannot believe how bad these people are at simple tasks. This is the Fort Wayne indiana location. I will never go back. I went to ABC warehouse and the salesman went out of his way to help me so I bought my new microwave from him.}

Beware of Moving Scams