logo

Sean Bradley Scammer

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Hampton Bay / Solar Lights (6) Complaints & Reviews - Malfunctioning light!

Hampton Bay / Solar Lights (6) Contacts & Informations

Hampton Bay / Solar Lights (6)

Posted:    Robert Kercher

Malfunctioning light!

This set of 6 solar lights. All work fine except for one. Very dim, barely lights. Hard to see at night. Purchased at Home Depot, Lebanon, PA July 1. They sold me defective product and i don't think that i will shop at Hampton Bay again!
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Nov, 2007 by   Bill Sherman +1 Votes
The plastic for the light housing becomes brittle after 2 years operation in the sun. All of mine have falling apart. I wrote to Home Depot, but did not get an answer. The problem is so bad that I'm going to post a blog at My site very soon at: http://botsmaker.blogspot.com/
The plastic for a solar product should at least be sunlight resistant!
 27th of Dec, 2007 by   MICHAEL LYONS +1 Votes
BOUGHT 16 SOLAR LITES, ONLY 4 WORK, WON'T SHUT OFF AND BATTERIES GO DEAD.
 13th of May, 2008 by   BDL 0 Votes
I have the same problems with LED lighting with Hampton Bay.
After a year, 2 of my 12 units are dead. The batteries are fine. So, I soldered a new LED on the units and they both work great now.
 3rd of Jan, 2009 by   Mimi +1 Votes
We bought a set of 6 patio solar lights for $60.00 from Home Depot. A few months later, no more than 6months and half of them won't work. We have tried putting new batteries in but they still don't work. Very disappointed in them, now we can't even return them to Home Depot.
 3rd of Jan, 2009 by   Mimi +1 Votes
We bought a set of 6 solar patio lights, Hampton Bay from Home Depot about 6 months ago and half of them haven't been working for about 3 months now. We have replaced the batteries but it doesn't make a difference. We paid $60.00 for the set and are very disappointed in the make. Now we can't even return them to Home Depot. Won't buy Hampton Bay again!
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   Lisa Dinan +1 Votes
Yes, I to have bought 4 sets of the Hampton Bay Solar lights over the past 2 years and at least 2-3 of them dont work after about a month or so. I wrote to the company and never got a response back from them. I have tried replacing the batteries and they still dont work, very dissapointing. With the economy the way it is now a days Hampton Bay should be ashamed of their products and try to please us buyers!!!
 13th of Mar, 2010 by   Tom Eberman +1 Votes
Try finding replacement LED bulbs. Fat chance. Less than one year and then ones I have are in the trash. Don't waste your money until they can support replacement parts. DO NOT BUY!
 12th of May, 2010 by   cruisedoctor61 0 Votes
Hampton Bay Solar lights. On sale at home depot for 4.49...and now I know why.
They look and feel classy, copper colored outdoor lighting for my walkway. Batteries work fine and all of the 12 I bought work except for one. It only flicks when I turn the on/off switch. Batteries work on another unit. So, I have a bad unit...and I cannot get a replacement. Now, given the number of complaints, I can expect to get what I paid for this summer. Thanks Hampton Bay, made in China.
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   seriously ripped off 0 Votes
Purchased 8 post top Hampton Bay solar lights from Home Depot, from the get go only two worked. Can't believe that Home Depot is selling this garbage, spent about $130, what a waste of money.
 1st of Oct, 2010 by   ElvisVic 0 Votes
I too went ahead and purchased these 6 pack sets of Hampton Bay solar lights model#79339/79330 and 79749/79789 and thought they were good lights based on prior experiences with the same models that I purchased 4-5 years ago. I decided to get some more and move the older ones to my back yard which had work well for all this time but these new sets that looked exactly the same didn't even last 2 years. The tops started falling off where the wires and LED are contained, the black coloring began to develop a white spotty discoloration and at least 10 out of the 24 lamps don't work anymore. I'm very disappointed in these solar lamps and don't know why the first batch I purchased held up way longer and these newer sets didn't. My guess is Hampton Bay cheaped out when they manufactured these newer ones because I noticed that the reason the tops all started falling off were because from what I can see, they were only held on buy some silicone glue. When I contacted their support line they denied that its only held on with this glue but I have these units with the proof. They won't do anything for me because I cannot locate my receipt from my purchase. I'm going to contact Home Depot where I purchased them to see if there's anything they can do but my guess is they'll probably give me the same answer...no receipt...no replacement. My advise...DON'T BUY THESE SOLAR LAMPS.
 13th of Nov, 2010 by   Earl Haynie 0 Votes
Purchased 4 solar led post cap lights at home depot. Very bright lights, for maybe one hour. Switched to 10 hour mode, works 15 minutes longer. Very, very disappointed
 14th of Feb, 2011 by   jacknitco 0 Votes
i took three of these lights back to home depot because they don't work . as soon as i walk away from it, the light goes out...and the fourth one is not working either
 12th of May, 2011 by   drkeagle 0 Votes
Puchased 4 solar L E D post cap lites at Home Depot. They work for maybe 5 minutes or less and then go out. Changed batteries and the same thing again. Batteries are charged so something in the circuits must be bad. You would think that with the amount of Hampton Bay lighting that Home Depot carries that Home Depot would have some pull with the customer service that you recieve (or don't receive) from this company.
 11th of Jul, 2011 by   sidly 0 Votes
I bought the solar post light from Home depot and it rusted and did not work. I agree with the post, The Home depot is selling defective product and when I wanted replacement, they refused and said you should talk to manufacturer. I am very disappointed and I will never buy anything from Home Depot.!!
 26th of Oct, 2011 by   M. Forti 0 Votes
I lso buy the solar lights. And the problem I had was that the replacement solar batteries are too expensive. The cost more alone that buying a new set of lamps. Now I have the lamps but not funtioning becouse of the batteries.
 30th of Jun, 2012 by   tsonosqua 0 Votes
I purchased 6 Hampton Bay low voltage LED lights at approx $35 a piece and have them running on an 4 or 6 hour light up after dark. Along with that was the connector box etc. Cost over $600. Everything was working fine except that the next spring, I noticed that 2 failed. I replaced the two with new purchases not realizing there was a 2 year warranty... quess what... in 3 months... two more failed. I am fed up. I checked with the warranty and of course I threw away the receipt for the first 6. My take: a) these products are inferior, b) these are not really LEDs as they don't fail in 8-12 months. My recommendation is 1) don't purchase another Hampton Bay product. 2) Question Home Depot for their carrying of an inferior line. We have plenty of choice out there, and from seeing the comments above, I question why Home Depot is continuing to carry this line.
 12th of Feb, 2013 by   WilliamAlabaster 0 Votes
I find Home Depot:
(a) doesn't care about product quality, only profits which rise from quantity of products sold,
(b) Hampton Bay makes very poor quality as I've learned with a fan, an overhead light fixture and my solar lights.
When I have gone back to Home Depot, I always make it a point of walk down the Hampton Bay area and place "stick 'em" notes on their products saying, "lousy quality".

Best of luck
 20th of Nov, 2013 by   S.A.T. 0 Votes
I bought the Hampton Bay 4 pack solar lights online. They work for about 1 hour every other night. I tried setting them on 10 hour but still the same thing. I bought some about 4 years ago and they still work. Don't like the new ones!

Avoid iTunes Gift Card Scams Identity Theft