Grand Canyon University

Posted:

Class Action Lawsuit

Grand Canyon University
Phoenix, Arizona
We have read hundreds of complaints by ripped off students and mistreated former faculty members. A class action lawsuit is truly in order. Please contact us at GCUclassactionlawsuit (This is a Yahoo account) if you are interested in joining the class action lawsuit.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

28th of Sep, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I too am a victim of the Grand Canyon University ripoff, I finished my degree the first of June and have not recieved my dipolma and I am not going to because of a book loan for 220 they have not even bothered to contact me/ I had to pay them 150 for that dipoloma and they are going to keep it, it is pure crap. They keep adding classes when I was about through just to run up the bill. Are they a crooked school yes, please if a lawsuit is started aganst them I want in it, this is just bull, I applied at the police station and they would not release my records
 9th of Dec, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I am trying to find out about the class action lawsuit but the search takes me nowhere.(?????)
 11th of Dec, 2013 by    +1 Votes
I am a victim and I would like to become involved in the class action suit, as this is unfair to all of us whom would like to continue our education and not be prevented from doing so. This institution has been fraudulent in the many of its practices including over rated charges and changing of billing statement and over billing loan servicing companies! Something has to be done immediately!
 29th of Apr, 2014 by    0 Votes
Hello

I am a graduate of Grand Canyon Universities BSN program (Or so I thought).

After attending graduation, receiving two Pop up congratulatory messages for completing the program and receiving an e-mail from my academic adviser congratulating me on “Reaching the end of my journey”, I received an email asking me to past $150.00 for a graduation fee. After paying the fee, I called the school and was told that the transcripts and certificate would take 4-6 weeks. I called back later and was told it may be up to 6-8 weeks. I call today and am now told that I have to take an extra class. They are now telling me that I need to take an extra “upper level class.”

Is there still a class action lawsuit?
Whom should I contact to file a formal complaint?
How do I go about seeking legal adequate legal representation?
Please Help!
 29th of Apr, 2014 by    0 Votes
I can understand what you're dealing with, it been alot of contoversy with this institution and this is terrible as I am still a student also and this is terrible! I think this type of treatment needs to hit the news soon as this institution is for profit and they are actually ripping students off!
 23rd of Oct, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I'm not so sure about this information. I hold a Bachelors Degree from Grand Canyon University in Sociology, a totally useless Degree. I then entered the Masters of Science Addiction Counselor Program, and I'm done the didactic studies, entering into Practicum. I had a hard time finding a site, finally I have one, but I have to pay out of pocket for it. The cost isn't bad, 990.00 each practicum. They state that Financial Aid doesn't pay for 2 credit courses. I'm 2 months behind finding a site and they send me a letter stating that I will have to return to school if I'm out 6 months due to new requirements or something to that effect. I wrote them and told them I would be seeking legal counsel to protect my interest. Then I got a much nicer letter. But still I'm wondering, what the truth is here. I don't really have the money for the Practicum, but I'll squeeze out of a Rock. However, I told them in the early stages what I wanted, to be a Social Worker, they put me in the Sociology Program, this didn't make me a Social Worker, though it was a good foundation, but I'm not satisfied with this institution either. I have many questions unaswered, but I did get my Sociology Degree, and I have all but 4 credits for the Masters. They just make it very hard at the end, and they didn't disclose that information in advance, it was like a huge surprise. I'm interested in talking to a lawyer, that's for sure, because I am in debt to the Gov't which is fine if I invested in something I can use, and I'm not so sure I can.
 24th of Mar, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Would be willing to join the class action lawsuit
 23rd of Jul, 2015 by    +1 Votes
I would very much like to be part of a class action suit against GCU. I have completed the 60 hours in the Doctorate of Education program with a 3.60 GPA. Since December 2014, I have been in dissertation classes. For the last 8 months through a series of mismanagement by the university I have not even completed my Prospectus. When I should have been finished with my degree this month, it will be almost impossible to finish it by December of this year. Three of the five colleagues in my class are gone without explanation. The one other student left is in agreement with me. We are getting ripped off. I am not your average student. I have excelled throughout my college career. I have a 117 page proposal that have not even been looked at. There is no excuse for this pitiful travesty. No one seems concerned at the university. When recruiting doctoral programs, they brag about the ability of a student to get a doctorate in three years. The three years are up, and I have barely progress beyond the state I was in 8months ago. They accreditation should be questioned. I was told at the university in a public meeting that 90% of students in the program receive their doctorate. This statement was made by a Dean. It is a lie. I do not know what to do. I will not give up as it seems many have.
 29th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
Wow. I did not know there were so many complaints.
 19th of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
I too got bamboozled! I went for a Masters in Secondary Education to be an Art teacher. I was told I could obtain a teaching degree based on my content knowledge due to my two other degrees being in Communication Art and Design and a Bachelors of Studio Art from the University of MN Morris. However when I checked with my Minnesota Department of Education that is not so. MN does not allow or issue license on content knowledge regardless if you have a Masters Degree in teaching. I didn't pass the student teaching which I was allowed to repeat. However, I did pass the first eight weeks and they made me repeat the entire 16 weeks and of coarse they took financial aid for all of it.

On my federal financial aid statement it shows that all was paid in full and now they are trying to collect $1090.00 which has already been paid to them and they will not release my transcripts or degree because they are basically holding it hostage for money that was already paid to them by the federal government which I have to pay back. I gave three years of my life for this degree, and maintained a 4.0 throughout the entire time up until the student teaching which was the bizarrest experience of my life. I had to find my own placements. My school did nothing to back up my unprecedented dismissal. Towards the end there were so many red flags and when I started to question things I got the run around and vague answers. I was told the GCU could not even contact my States Department of Education. Why not? Why can't the school that is offering an education to get a teaching degree with a state that has reciprocity contact the students home State Department of Education? When I told my education specialist that I would not be able to teach based on content knowledge even after passing a content knowledge exam he persisted to tell me I was wrong and I even signed a waiver say I could based on content knowledge, a form of course produced by GCU. Everything is a lie is a fraud. I had to continue in these classes and pay for them while they knew full well they were lying to me and that I was not going to be able to get a job or be able to teach. Now I am 69, 000 dollars more in federal student load debt and I can't get my transcripts or my degree. A lesser degree of Masters in Secondary Education with non certification.

I gave up three years of my life and I am now 49 and no chance or opportunity to do what I went to school for. I was sold a lie and giver false dreams and hopes. My academic, educational, student and financial aid advisors changed at least five different times while I attended GCU which ended in November of 2014. I have now clinical anxiety, depression, and so much stress and it is the result of being taken advantage of by this educational institution. I even contacted my State Senator and I was told to contact the US Dept of Higher Ed. and the Arizona Dept of Higher Ed, and different States Attorney Generals, etc. No one wants to do anything. I want help. This school is nothing more than a diploma mill and using the Federal Financial System and people who are looking for a better future to make money. I am just sickened by all of this. I lost three years of my life for nothing and I still have to pay for it.

Contact Us