logo

Make over

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Family Readers Club, Norfolk, New York Complaints & Reviews - Fradulent Tactics bad business practices

Family Readers Club Contacts & Informations

Posted:    Dante' Petty

Fradulent Tactics bad business practices

90 Country Road
Norfolk, New York
Phone: 866-988-2582
familyreadersclub.com
I was offered a FREE X-Box with the subscription to Family Readers Club. I was told this account could be cancelled at any time. I have NEVER received the free game system promised or any magazines, but my bank account has been debited everymonth, regardless to funds availability. I have contacted Family Readers Club by phone numberous times to cancel the subscription, and initally was told that this had been done. Another charge went thru my account and I called back only to be told it was "too late" to cancel and that I would have to pay a minimum of $100+ dollars to stop service or pay the total balance of the magazines at around $700+. This company is obviously a scam to de-fraud people out of there money. I will be closing my bank account and writing to the Better Business Bureau and state of New York as well.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Feb, 2009 by   fairchic 0 Votes
The same exact thing has happened to me. I was told that I could have 5 magazines for 60 months for only $49.95. I was also told that I could cancel at anytime, no questions asked. However, when I attempted to cancel I received nothing but the run-around and was eventually told that I was not able to cancel. I told them I would decline the charges with my bank and was told that legal action would be taken if I refused to pay. Family Readers Club is a terrible scam and should be taken out of business! Who knows how many people they have scammed or how much money they have fraudulently taken from honest people!? It is just appalling!
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   mad@them 0 Votes
I am going through the samething now. I am suppose to receive 5 magazines each month for only $39.90. I haven't received any magazines and my bank account is continually charged for their "product". I actually had my bank refuse payments to them and they called my phone repeatedly, threatening to take me to court if I didn't pay. I finally paid to get them off my back but their "legal" department told me that wasn't enough. This company is shady and ridiculous! Has anyone been able to get out of this situation? Has anyone finished the contract with them? If so, did they really stop the subscription or did they continue to charge you? I have reported them to the BBB but I am afraid nothing will happen. They need to be brought down!
 20th of Feb, 2009 by   graywlfz 0 Votes
Same thing is happening to me right now. I'm still trying to figure a way out. They keep leaving messages with a phone number to call back. I call them back only to leave a voice mail everytime. I'm trying to get them to provide me with a copy of the "contract" as proof that I have to pay. I'm going to take it to my lawyer as soon as they give it to me, if they give it to me, and see if it is actually binding. I sent in my cancellation letter the day after I got it as was told it was to late to cancel.
 24th of Feb, 2009 by   Angry in CA +1 Votes
Im going through the same thing right now. My husband ordered 6 magazines for $49.99 and we have only ever received 3 of them, and of the 3, one of them he didnt even order. I tried to cancel right away and after leaving messages for a week and no return calls, I finally reached Tyler. I tried to cancel, but was told it was to late. We went round and round for a while with the conversation ending with, and I quote" To fucking bad if you dont want the magazines now, you shouldnt have ordered them", and he hung up on me. We recently started getting phone calls daily asking for my husband from John, I always tell him my husband isnt available, he doesnt want to talk to them. Last week John calls 3 times in one day, saying there is a problem with the account, I checked and they are still taking my money every month, no problem for them. He calls the next day and I answer and tell him were not interested, maybe he will go away. OH NO, he calls right back and I let it go to voice mail, This is the message he leaves.."This is John form FRC-everytime I call some stupid Bitch keeps hanging up 0n me, so this is what Im going to do, Im just going to triple your fees. Maybe then you'll answer my calls". The funny thing is all the messages he leaves, and there have been a lot, never does he leave a return number. He just keeps calling. I got ahold of the manager Rekha, and let her hear the message and tell her what is going on. She is very nice and says she will find out who John is and fire him immediately..Yea right.. Anyways after talking to her and trying to canel, she still says I have to fulfill my contract and continue to pay until the 5 thousand years are up, or pay the remaining balance now.
Everybody should start calling Rekha daily and bombarding her with calls and let her know what a piece of shit company she represents!!! GOOD LUCK!!
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   Scamed +1 Votes
Same exact thing happened to me. My wife was told that she would get magazines for 2 years, if she paid 50 dollars a month for 4 months. After the 4 months were up I noticed that I was still getting billed when I called the lady was very hostile and said that I have to pay for the next 2 years 50 dollars a month or she will call the collection agency. This company has also been double billing me, in that they charge me 50 dollars twice in a month but with different names on the credit card bill. (Family readers, as well as Magazine866---). I called them today to tell them to stop the auto pay and they said that "our system is down right now I can't change it call back tomorrow, lets she if they give me the same run around tomorrow). I'm gonna cancel my CC and she what they do. Please give me any advise if there is a way to stop them from ruining my credit.
 26th of Feb, 2009 by   DTsGarage 0 Votes
I just recently worked with these people. I should have researched first. I was very clear I was making no financial obligation. I kept declining anything I had to pay for, but said I would accept the free watch and trial magazines they offered, but not the packaged deal I had to pay for. In my advertising class I learned that if you don't agree to anything financial anything you get in the mail is yours to keep. I gave them no credit card or bank account information. If I have any trouble with them I will skip the BBB and call the Federal Trade Commission. They are sort of the parent of BBB. DO NOT PAY THEM FOR SOMETHING YOU DID NOT ORDER! CONTACT YOUR LOCAL BBB OR THE FTC!
I am now fairly nervous about this...great...
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   Charlotte 0 Votes
donot pay tem and get a new bank account .
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   j00ciiex 0 Votes
yeah same as me however i was offered 1000 gift card. i got a new checkings and credit card, screw them.
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   j00ciiex 0 Votes
i dont know about you all but i never signed a contract agreeing i would pay, it was just a recording over the phone argeeing i would pay
therefore, i could care less what they try to do to me
they dont have my ssn, they dont have a signed contract from me agreeing i would pay, nor do they spell my name correctly.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   we have to get steve bolf 0 Votes
The owner of this company is steve bolf his phone number is 450-424-3993 or 514-219-1111 he has numerous company's like this and yes it is a scam. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PAY HIM A PENNY.
 10th of Apr, 2009 by   frustrated 0 Votes
I ordered this subscription two months ago, however the day after I ordered, I called this organization back in an attempt to cancel my subscription. I receive the magazines, but, I don't have the time to read them. I have attempted to call repeatedly to cancel the order and no one on the staff will return my phone calls. Now, I am calling my bank to stop payment as I find this is very poor business practice. I was told I could cancel this at any time. Very hard to do when no one returns your phone calls.
 16th of Apr, 2009 by   kayakmary 0 Votes
I have read a lot of the comments regarding Family Readers Club on this website found via GOOGLE and Ripoff.com and it's amazing to me how many there are; mine is just one of thousands. I have had the same experience described in everyone of these except whenever they call me, and the calls have been too many to count...they NEVER leave a message!!! If my cell phone rings to the default ringtone (unless I'm expecting a call) I don't answer it because I'm usually at work and have better things to do than talk with them.
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   Pamela Weishaar 0 Votes
Itotally Agree
 22nd of Apr, 2009 by   Deanna Pavay 0 Votes
Today I spoke with Mr. Bolf and one of his managers on the phone. I found them to be concerned and professional about the cancellation of my daughter's order. Mr. Bolf has been a business man for more than 45 years and is "not out to scam anyone", per our conversation. I believe if you are having problems reaching someone "live" at Family Readers Club the next best bet is to send a certified letter to them and work with your bank and credit card company. Waiting for someone else to correct your financial commitments is never a smart idea.

D. Pavay
California
 29th of Apr, 2009 by   ladyanonymous 0 Votes
Totally. I subsciribed and on the same day went online to check out the company, I found lots of people commenting that its a scam. First thing I did was call my bank and they told me that the company already took out money, which was weird because after I hung up with a representative from the company, I went online for 5 mins after the subcription then called my bank and money was taken! I called the company back the very same day and got reach of one lady she said to call customer service. Customer service told me to call the next day so I called the representative back on the same day and got transfered to another lady who told me i could'nt cancel since it went through already but the thing is i tried to cancel on the same day that i subscribed, how is that too late when it was only within one hour? They also offered me the stupid watch and two other magazines at no charge which i'm sure they're just bullshitting. Stupid thing that got me was the chance to win 100, 000 dollars. I should have known, I guess the company hired some pretty damn good scammers to work for them. Family readers club is a scam. Now i'm in the process of getting myself out. I can't beleive i fell for it.
 30th of Apr, 2009 by   R. Smith 0 Votes
Same thing for my son He has been having money taken from checking account for 4 years and they say he can't cancel. Also, two other magazine clubs started taking money from his account. Even our bank couldn't figure out how to get in touch with those companies. One was called Tropical Readers. We cancelled the checking account. Now they are sending letters about ruining his credit. I am contacting the Federal Trade Commission, BBB and also our attorney General. This company is a scam. No one pays that kind of money for magazines!! On top of it all my son has a learning disability and does very little reading!
 18th of May, 2009 by   dontbefooled87 0 Votes
i just got a call from these guys. i went to go check out the website and it goes straight to here. i immediately call the people back and didnt get nothing it just went to the guys vmail. who ever is in the same situation call your bank and cancel that debit or credit card you put it on. thats what i did and im getting the amount that they shouldnt even have beentaken out yet disputed! im so mad that i feel for this crap! i would never do something like this again!
 10th of Jun, 2009 by   Dave 0 Votes
I was told that for 49.99, I would receive 6 free magazines of my choice. I was told by 1 person at Family Reader's Club that I could cancel at any time, while an employee in customer service told me I had to cancel within 3 business days. I was informed that I would receive $1, 000 in Gift Certs to restaurants. I received a coupon booklet from Hotmealscooldeals.com. Has anyone heard of them or know if they are a scam? I have been waiting for 2 1/2 weeks and still have not received my gift certificates from them. Also, does anyone know of a phone number of Hot Meals Cool Deals? All I can find is an e-mail address for customer support, but they apparently do not return e-mails. I have a feeling that I will be not be getting my gift certificates. Has anyone had success in getting gift certificates from this company? They are supposedly located in Knoxville, TN. Thank you very much and please do not fall for this scam.
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   charlenex02x 0 Votes
i just recived a call from these people, his name was Quinton. oh boy he was rude!! he told me he was garnishing my wages and sending me to cort. i laughed... they dont have the rite spelling of our last name. when i told them i didnt recive the correct magazines and i would send them all back to them he yelled at me and told me he will tak my Fu*king house and garnish my Fu*cking wages and call my house every Fu*king day! once i said i had him on recording he hung up the phone. this company did not send us the correct order nor would fulfill the contract the say we had signed. as well as this is not the 1st time i have been told off by this company. they wanted me to agree that i would pay $200.00 to stop the $900.00 outstanding balance from going on my credit. i laughed and said well if you would have sent me the correct magazines i would have payed... but im not paying for the wrong order and would send back the crap they sent me.
 14th of Jul, 2009 by   fgkjmmm 0 Votes
This company is a 100% nut-house. It seems like the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing. I can't sday i was scammed into it, because the company does have me on recording orering the magazines. They just don't tell you it's 49.95$ a month. This is the kind og company who probably hires all kinds of different sales rooms and probably have no idea what's going on / being said in them. I highly doubt they can hurt your credit.

What really ticked me off was this one:

They called me telling me i had been doing well with my payments so they were reducing my monthly rate from 49.95$ to 29.95$. Finally i was seeing a compassionate side to them. Then on my next credit card statement i had 2 charges! one for the 49.95$ and one for the 29.95$! so i was double scammed!

I think i will try reaching Mr. Bolf, i here he's then only one you can speak to who will do something for you. He must be Derek's Son or something, it says on their website the owner is derek Bolf.

STOP PAYING THESE PEOPLE! with enough of these complaints, they'll be outa business in no time. maybe even in jail!

This is form their website:
Address: 90 County Route 38, Norfolk NY 13667
Tel: 1-888-300-0906
Email: customerservice@frcsite.com
Family Readers Club was established in 2006 as it perceived a large need in the North American market for a business to promote readership for the benefit of consumers and publishers alike.

The magazine industry continues to evolve as new challenges push it forward (cable television, satellite television, the Internet, Blogs, PDAs, and iPods to name but a few).

Derek Bolf saw the opportunity and decided to do something about it. Derek is a young, dynamic businessman with many years experience in both the Magazine sector and technology sector.

Derek and his executive team combine over 150 years of experience in the magazine industry. Using this experience and vision for the future, the team continues to blend old and proven methods with young and dynamic vision to push the envelope and develop new and exciting possibilities in the multi-billion dollar industry.

Swine Flu Vaccine Scam