logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
rootandroid.com
Rude and negative emails from this company
2. (24 mins ago)
Sears / Craftsman riding lawnmower
Lawn mower will just stop running
3. (39 mins ago)
Non-delivery of product

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

EverPet Cat Food, Lexington, South Carolina Complaints & Reviews - sick cats from eating this cat food

EverPet Cat Food Contacts & Informations

EverPet Cat Food

Posted: 2011-11-07 by    morthos

sick cats from eating this cat food

dollar general
Lexington, South Carolina
I recently purchased everpet cat food in the light blue bag. After feeding my cats this food they began to throw up the food and blood. My cat is the sickest. once we stopped him from throwing up we have to force feed fluids and baby food. He has lost about 10 lbs. All he does is lay around - eyes are glassy - doesn't meow, play He is still very weak. DO NOT BUY ANY EVER PET FOOD OF ANY KIND FROM DOLLAR GENERAL UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO KILL YOUR ANIMALS.

Comments United States Pets & Animals
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Dec, 2011 by   Amanda R Johnson +1 Votes
My mother inlaw bought everpet cat food as well .. And it killed her cat and before they know what happened they feed some to there chickens and it killed some of there chickens too... So they are very very upset and the grand kids have been crying because of this... I THINK THEY NEED TO PULL THIS OFF THE SHELVES SOON!!!
 20th of Jan, 2012 by   ANDREA FARLEY 0 Votes
I RECENTLT BOUGHT THIS CAT FOOD MY CAT BECAME VERY ILL AND DIED 2 DAYS LATER FROM EATING THIS FOOD ..SHE STARTED THROWING UP FOOD AND BLOOD..I MISS MY KITTY I'M GOING TO SUE THIS COMPANY FOR THE DEATH OF MY BABY...
 4th of Apr, 2012 by   Whammo77 +1 Votes
Yes, this food is TERRIBLE!!! My cats won't hardly even touch it. My wife bought a bag of it and even when the cats are starving they won't eat it. I guess that is why none of mine have died, lol. But when a cat is starving and it won't eat the food, you KNOW it is bad. Don't waste your money on this junk!!!
 6th of Aug, 2012 by   talie +1 Votes
My aunt just bought a bag of the everpet kitten food, her kitten wont touch it so she brought it down to me, i have 3 indoor cats and one outdoor cat, and NONE of the cats will eat it but when i took the bowl away and gave them different food they eat that right away. and my outdoor cat isn't picky with anything he eats, so when he wont eat it i know there is something wrong.
 23rd of Sep, 2012 by   Ashleyvannoy84 +1 Votes
I bought my cat this horrible stuff and she is bleeding losing weight throwing up and very sick, I am so pissed about this and I want this food off the market if my cat dies from this food I will sue them. This is a very big issue and I'd hate for anyone else to lose there pet over this food. Please don't buy this for your cat or dog!
 25th of Oct, 2012 by   DFHS +1 Votes
i bought the indoor Everpet cat food and my cat ate it ok for a while, all the time getting sicker and sicker. She just died a little over two hours ago on the way to the vet. I can't say any more right now.
 6th of Feb, 2013 by   Jennifer Rose +1 Votes
We've been buying Ever Pet Cat Food and have had two cats die in the last two days after a short bout of diarrhea. We have four other cats that like to hunt for most of their food and they're okay. It's the two small cats that have died, because they didn't hunt. This is heartbreaking, especially to see the most dependent cats die BECAUSE they depended upon us to provide all their food.
 6th of Feb, 2013 by   Deep Creek Diva +1 Votes
I wouldn't buy food from a dollar store to feed to the mice outside! Why the heck do you people, who profess to LOVE their cats, buy CHEAP FOOD? Friski's isn't that expensive and it sure won't kill the cats! Same for those chicken dog treats made in China killing dogs! Doesn't anybody read LABELS?? I'm living on disability and go without so my babies don't have to eat sub-standard food. If I can do it anyone can!
 25th of Feb, 2013 by   CynthiaJ 0 Votes
I understand your concern, Diva, but you do not understand everyone's situation. I am glad you take care of your cats. That is a good thing. But... Ever heard that phrase, Judge not, lest ye be judged? Yeah. That one.
 11th of Mar, 2013 by   shelajo 0 Votes
My cat was 2 years old, indoors only. She was healthy. I have no plants or poisons. I have 3 children. I bought her EVERPET Indoor brand cat food. I buried her yesterday. She did not want to eat it. I should have thrown it out. I am very sad, feeling guilty, and broken hearted! PLEASE PASS this ON...NO EVERPET food for your pets!!! She was lethargic, could not move, eyes crossed, and drooling. Took her to my vet on a Sat. nite 11 pm...Was dead by morning.
 11th of Mar, 2013 by   shelajo 0 Votes
My name is shelajo...I just posted my story...here is a picture of the kitty we lost and love so much...because of Everpet cat food!!!

3rd of May, 2013 by   Harley's owner 0 Votes
My name is Darlene
I purchased EverPet cat food (Indoor Formula) this past Wednesday evening (May 1, 2013) at Dollar General in Lenoir, NC. The lot number which is above the bar code is C0128, the bar code is 70155 14222, it was stamped "Best by H5 09 Apr 2014 22:03" and was a 3.15 lb. bag. I mixed it with a bit of the Purina cat food (Indoor Formula) I had left. (It is recommended on the bag that if this is the first time you are introducing your cat to EverPet cat food that you mix it with what you have been feeding them previously.) My cat took a few bites (less then a minute of eating), walked away from his bowl, and about 5-10 minutes later, he started vomiting. He vomited throughout the night. He slept a bit but woke up frequentlly to vomit many times on each occasion. Although he was listless on Thursday (May 2, 2013), he ate a bit of the Purina cat food (Indoor Formula) I purchased that morning.

(Thursday morning I called the Dollar General Satisfaction Guaranteed number on the EverPet bag (888-309-9030) and reported this. They got all the information from me (expiration date, bar code number, lot number, and symptoms my cat is having. I was told that the manufacturer would call me within two days. Haven't heard from them yet but it is still early. I kept all the information, saved a portion of the food so that it could be analyzed later, and returned the food to Dollar General letting them know what had happened to my cat.)

My cat vomited less throughout Thursday, ate a bit, and hid in areas that I have not known him to do before. This morning I woke up to see an area where he had vomited (on a manilla folder) and saw that is was mainly blood. I am very concerned.
 29th of Jan, 2014 by   Manuela Schafer 0 Votes
Please everybody I am having this food tested as we speak. Let's see what the results are, if they are bad we need to start a class action suit against everpet!
 29th of Jan, 2014 by   Manuela Schafer 0 Votes
Having this food tested, let's see what we find out!
 18th of Feb, 2014 by   LaceyH 0 Votes
We have had the same experience as many others have. This food made our cat very sick. We are trying to get the food tested and I am wondering if others here did the same thing? If so did you go through the company that produced it or did you go through the FDA? I have heard back from both sources and they both want the bag of food and I don't know which to follow through with. Any advice would be much appreciated.
 27th of Feb, 2014 by   Heart broken 2 -1 Votes
Please Please do not buy Everpet cat food from Dollar General. My family has lost 2 of our family pets in the last 3 days from this food. I lost one cat that was 17 years old on Sunday night and the other one Wednesday night that has been in our family for 16 years. These cats were family to us. Our cats we ok one day and dead the next. They became lethargic, sick at their stomach, throwing up, and just over all sick and passed away within hours with nothing we could do to help. One of them died in my arms and the other one died in my husbands arms. We are totally heart broken from this, the only comfort we can get is knowing they didn't die alone and they knew we loved them.
 6th of Apr, 2014 by   shannon j knause 0 Votes
We have been feeding or cat and dog everpet. Just over night our cat became sick lost a lot of weight and was only 2 years old. Chloe's body could not regulate its temp and was 96 degrees when we took her to the vet Fri. She became so bad by sat we had to take her to the vet and have her put down. Her eyes were non responsive to light and could hardly move. The vet couldn't even get a temp. On her when they checked sat. Our only option was to put her down. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against everpet. RIP Chloe!!!
 14th of Apr, 2014 by   chad chesebro 0 Votes
I just got home from the animal hospital in Syracuse NY I had bought a bag of the cat food in the light blue bag a bigger bag I had two indoors cats one ate it for a day then wouldn't eat it and the other ate all of it and now as of a hour and a half ago the one that wouldn't eat it after the first day is gone me and my finance had to make the hardest decision of our lives weather to have him put down n it has torn us apart every since because he was the type of cat that slept on my chest and on her pillow he went from being a fat cat to basically skin and bones in a month n we didn't realize anything till it was to late and tonight when we got home from her work I walked into my room to him having seizures and not able to get off the floor this food needs to be banned this problem has been doing on for over two years and nothing has been done about it this is rediclous I just lost my cat because problems with this cat food is ignored by the manufacturer
 14th of Apr, 2014 by   chad chesebro 0 Votes
This is the cat we just lost

7th of Jun, 2014 by   Kodi 2014 0 Votes
I have fed my kitten ever pet kitten food...he seems to be ok...but i will go back to purina just in case...the cost between the two is not worth my cat's life...this company should take responsaibilty for it's product.And should be a shame to put it on store shelf's.
Thanks for all the info and so sorry for all of you that have lost your pets...

Consumer Fraud in Health Care