logo

Vehicle Fits
Year Make Model Magento
2. (0 mins ago)
DentalPlans.com
Scam on automatic renewal!
3. (7 mins ago)
Shinemycareer complaint

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Etsy Complaints & Reviews - Deleted without an explanation and harassing emails without provocation

Etsy Contacts & Informations

Etsy

Posted:    Mekunove

Deleted without an explanation and harassing emails without provocation

Etsy
etsy.com
As both a seller and consumer on etsy for the better part of 3 years, I can say with much experience that the vendors, for the most part, are reputable, hard working people who stand by their products. The products are, for the most part, as described and well made. The rub, however, is with the "etsy team", or management personnel. If you are a vendor be prepared to be subjected to abuse galore. The rules are not for the "etsy team" to follow, but rather interpret at whim. Finally, if you are a minority of any ethnicity and make no efforts to conceal such, be very prepared for targeting and profiling. You will have your shop shut down while you are on vacation, items deleated without an explanation, and harrassing emails without provocation.

So, in a nutshell-the sellers are wonderful. The "etsy team" or those in power at etsy are abusive.

So, how can they help me? COMMUNICATE BEFORE TAKING ACTION? REINSTATE MY SHOP!
Comments United States E-Shopping
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Apr, 2010 by   rosebud65 0 Votes
Why did they delete your shop? Was there anything offensive that would make them do so? I have been shopping Etsy for a long time and would like to know more details on this.
 9th of Jun, 2010 by   ThePlaypen 0 Votes
Etsy is a poorly run online marketplace with arbitrary rules enforecement. No response is standard operating procedure from the Etsy support staff. They seem to have no business or marketing acumen whatsoever. Appears to be staffed entirely with wannabe hipsters and stoners. They can shut down a seller's store without warning or viable reason. No appeal process or inquiry. Thus, they can and do confiscate all the sellers product images and descriptions, costing the seller thousands of hours of labor and money. Don't forget that the seller has already paid for a contracted listing of a specified duration. Management behavior is borderline criminal. Class-action lawsuit being brought by sellers soon. Etsy allows unstable buyers to run amok who make multiple purchases with no intention of paying. Seller concerns are routinely ignored and as a result, Etsy has developed a reputation as a "seller-unfriendly" site.
 1st of Jun, 2011 by   Loupita 0 Votes
I agree with the first post. You have unprofessional snotty people working at Etsy. They closed my shop at a whim after selling and buying for almost two years. I also enjoyed helping Etsy buyers by shopping at their stores, versus Ebay. But since they are so unprofessional and like to abuse people, I've decided on a class action lawsuit. They claim that not all my items were vintage and I agreed. Yes, I needed to re-vamp my store and delete a few items. But if you look around Etsy, there are thousands of items that are not no where near vintage. So, yes, I was profiled.
 28th of Aug, 2012 by   meetstoo 0 Votes
I agree with this Shop owner's complaint against Etsy. I experienced much the same treatment while being accused of violating the rules for making everything handmade. There was no explanation for why I was being accused. It is a false accusation. "Sarah" from the Integrity Department sent numerous unprofessional accusatory emails starting with 15 questions focused on who makes my stuff, where it is made, how it is made, what tools are used and requests for pictures of myself, my patterns, my raw materials, my receipts, and my entire process of making one product they selected. I felt the demands were unreasonable requiring a lot of time to take all the pictures and I said so and I said that I do make everything I sell on Etsy. I sent the completed questionnaire omitting the pics. I received an email from her stating that I was violating para 12 about obstructing her investigation. Later that evening my husband took 60 pictures of everything I do and use in my home-based shop and I sent them to her with a complaint. My shop was suspended 3 days later on Sunday with an email from "Sarah" saying that I didn't furnish the requested material adding that the only reason my account wasn't terminated was that I still needed to ship an item. "Sarah" had not even looked at the pics I sent so I resent them and demanded the suspension be lifted. She then sent another email stating my pics were not clear and that I was welcome to send more images and more info. By then I concluded that "Sarah" was harassing me and that no matter how much proof I sent showing everything I sell is hand-made I would lose my account. I then emailed all her emails, all my pics with captions, the major materials receipts and a detailed letter to their legal department and to their customer service department demanding an impartial review, a phone call from a manager, my account suspension lifted and an apology. I have never heard back from any of them. To this day I do not know what caused this witch-hunt. I suspect that a competing shop-owner "flagged" one of my products and submitted a false claim. But just as likely is the possibility that Etsy is harassing and closing any shop selling hand-made soap after they received warnings from the FDA that selling hand-made soap was akin to selling un-registered drugs which is totally ridiculous. The bottom line is Etsy condones false reports, fails to impartially investigate complaints, unreasonably requests loads of information for "proving" innocence, lies about the real reason for shop closure, fails to acknowledge that they are wrong, fails to correct their mistakes, and does not follow their own policies. Etsy is a fraud and a sham business that is not worth my time or any one's time. Etsy uses sellers to make fancy pictures of unusual one-of-a-kind "artsy" stuff... then uses buyers to create circles and treasuries in a kind of fantasy world...while using money from venture capital firms setting up a Facebook style IPO ripoff for investors. It is that simple...if you don't contribute to a "buzz" about the Etsy fantasy then you are thrown out because that just doesn't work for the carefully crafted IPO ripoff to come...it is that simple..."Etsy" is not a viable business idea.
 8th of Nov, 2012 by   watchitetsy 0 Votes
I've been on Etsy for three years now and every year as the holiday rush begins I get an email demanding I submit all of the same information listed above. I'm given only 7 days to send this information and am left to defend my store and the contents or face account suspension. I look around Etsy and find thousands of shops violating their "policies" but I am singled out I believe because I leave negative feedback in the forums about issues that concern me. Etsy is ripe for a class action lawsuit and I will gladly join.
 17th of Feb, 2013 by   Tambo Collection 0 Votes
Yes I agree, if you post anthing negative in the forums you get singled out and locked down immediately. The staff of etsy is rude and unprofessional. Sellers should not waste their time with them and instead build their own stores.
 17th of Feb, 2013 by   Tambo Collection 0 Votes
I don't know if I'm posting this twice but after operating on Etsy for 3 years I got my shop shut down in the middle of my busiest season ever. A few weeks ago I posted in their forum about some shops selling chinese made products and I did not call any names because they call this "call out". I sell both hand made clothing and Ethnic fabrics. I think I was shut down because they felt I was objecting about the sellers. Etsy don't give one crap about anyone. I think I was targeted becaue I'm a minority business and I spoke out. If you are on Etsy as as seller never post anything negative in the forums they will shut down your shop in a heartbeat. My shop was suspended on Feb 13, 2013. I have not heard from them about why. Some of my customers have emailed me and I explained what happened. They are still shopping from me because I have another website outsite of Etsy lucky me. I am still upset because I did nothing to warrant this. Anyone else thinking of selling on Etsy, make shure you have your own website. A rival company could report your shop and you will be left in a lurch. Take care of yourself first. Market your own website and do not depend on Etsy. They can very well easily steal your dreams if you let the.
 25th of Apr, 2013 by   oeg 0 Votes
I would personally love to be contacted by anyone wanting to file a class action lawsuit against Etsy. I feel they enforce their rules, or TOS, in a very slip-shot way. They shut down new shops to try and prove they are following their own TOS but keep the ones selling multiple items every day to keep their #'s up. They hurt the real crafter's on their site by promoting all their items as hand made when they do nothing to vet sellers on their site.

I also feel that this is hurting shops who pay (PAY MIND YOU) for the right to sell on a marketplace which caters to people wanting to buy hand made goods. We cannot compete with sellers who buy (or more likely produce) factory made goods and then sell them on Etsy directly.

Please include me on any class action lawsuit against this corporation which claims (FALSELY) to represent hand crafters. one_eyed_gim at the yahoo email. Thanks
 8th of Jan, 2014 by   EileenKeay 0 Votes
Please include me on any class action against ETSY!
 28th of Jun, 2014 by   hlf03c 0 Votes
Please include me in the class action lawsuit. They also shut down my shop for copyright infringement on the word "zumba" I have been singled out when there are dozens of other etsy shops selling the exact same things as me.
 7th of Jul, 2014 by   AshleyMoyer1 0 Votes
I am also interested in joining a class action lawsuit against etsy for wrongful terminations of shop,
Only After deleting my 5* feedback and telling me that's why they are shutting down my shop. LIARS!

Paypal-Charges-Scam