logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (9 mins ago)
DVDpearl
They tell fake promises and excuses
2. (9 mins ago)
Scammers

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Equifax Complaints & Reviews - Equifax is a fraud!

Equifax Contacts & Informations

Equifax

Posted:    dalton thompson

Equifax is a fraud!

If Equifax is obligated to remove or correct an adverse item on your credit report (ie, you paid off the balance in full), but refuses to correct it, you cannot even file a dispute with them unless you buy one of their products. For example, if you have already gotten your free annual credit report and something else pops up that is incorrect, if you want to dispute it you must have a "confirmation number". The only way you can get a confirmation number is to order a copy of your credit report, for a price. Believe me they know what they're doing. Even if it's not your fault you can't even talk to someone unless you order their product (credit report) in order to find a 800 number to call to dispute- you can't call unless you have the number - can't get the number 'till you buy the report.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Oct, 2008 by   Scat 0 Votes
One thing that people are not understanding about Equifax, they are a CRA. They do not request your info from the various accounts that you hold. It is the various companies job to report to Equifax, that is what makes up your credit file is what companies report to them. You people act like Equifax is just making up things to put in your credit file, and that is not the case. Example :If whatever company you hold an account with reports that you have a negative account with them, then that is what is on your credit file. It is those account issuers jobs to say what goes on or comes off your credit file, not Equifax's. As far as any charges you may be issued, when you signed up for a certain product that may have been a free trial, it is your responsibility to cancel before you are charged to cancel not Equifax. My suggestion is read all the print in terms of use before you decide to purchase their products.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   Jayme 0 Votes
I just tried to get my free credit report since I was denied a credit card recently. I even ordered the Fico score. You get to the final purchase page and the site won't let you view your report. They don't send a copy to your email either. There is no phone number to call unless you're a member?! Even though I bought one of their reports! So that was a waste of money. I don't recommend anyone try to use them or their site unless you want them to take your money. Might as well throw your money in the garbage.
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   Crumpycus 0 Votes
I agree that Equifax is conducting a fraud. Sue Equifax.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   frustreated 0 Votes
I agree equifax is conducting fraud in order for you to purchase products from them. Every year out of no where I keep getting a chase account on my credit report that no one else never ever reports only they do. I then have to log into their website and pay for a report. They constantly leave messages on my phone to renew my payment information with them when i don't need their services. It's the same story every year and they tell me to call chase and chase says they don't have me in their system.
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   AngryNewYorker 0 Votes
Equifax is EVIL -- they are trying to steal money.

Recently while I was checking over my credit report in preparation for an Auto Loan, I checked with all 3 credit bureaus looking for my Score.

All of them were accurate EXCEPT for Equifax . . . they had on my report that I had a delinquent account that I owed about $5, 000 on. It turned out that it was my mother's account and I was an authorized user in case of an emergency.

I immediately called the Credit Card company to dispute with them. Their explanation was that they had submitted to all 3 agencies. This is a tactic that CC's use on Authorized users hoping to shame them into assuming the debt of the card holder. After speaking with a rep of the CC, he said that he would transfer me to Equifax in order to have them remove it from my CC report.

First after listening to about 10 minutes of computerized prompts that kept going into a circular pattern and not getting a rep on the phone, I hung up and searched for a number online.

I call Equifax, get them on the phone and that's when a HUGE lightbulb goes off in my head. I'm complaining about the report and the woman launches into a speech about Credit Monitoring and how they'll freeze my account and notify me (with their service of course) if anyone tries to put anything untrue on my report all for the lovely fee of $15 a month.

That's when I realized that the other bureaus hadn't done what Equifax did. The other Agencies knew that I wasn't the card holder and didn't put it on my report. Equifax allowed it to be put on my report in the hopes that I would sign up with their program.

If you think that being put on as an Authorized user doesn't affect your credit, I will tell you the numbers. On Transunion without the report, myFico score was 782. With the report on Equifax, myFico Score was 675. It doesn't take a genuis to see the numbers clearly.
 3rd of Jul, 2010 by   miketh 0 Votes
I ordered my free annual report from Equifax. Quick and easy. Saw a negative item that wasn't mine. Filed a dispute online. In less than 10 days got an email that dispute was resolved - but had to sign in online to look at it. Only glitch was their system was down (at night) for some hours.
When I logged in, there was a notice that the item was removed from my credit file.
Fairly painless.

This same item showed up w. Transunion. Took them about 7-10 days to remove it. Their system is easy to use than Equifax's. I'll probably need to contact Experion since the same item might be in their file also.
 7th of Sep, 2010 by   Theodore Samuelson 0 Votes
Isn't it ironic that the very services that the public uses to check into your credit turn to Equifax for accurate information. And it is Equifax and Experian and freecreditscore.com (all the same company operating under a different subsidiary of Equifax) that are actually conducting fraud. What they do amounts to nothing less than extortion. These bogus means to calculate someone's credit is questionable at best. If you fee you need to spend 30 bucks a month to keep on top of your credit score. Perhaps we need to not give two hoots what Equifax has to offer. Maybe someday someone will start up a credit score company that accepts only negative postings if there is a court ordered judgment against you. I doubt that will ever happen, and if it did it would probably need legislation to get the ball rolling.
 30th of Sep, 2010 by   ROBERT h BURNS 0 Votes

no contact number to cancell - Equifax

NO PHONE # TO CANCELL IF NO ANSWER I WILL CONTACT ATT. GENERAL & BETTER BUSINESS
 21st of Feb, 2011 by   rgard32 0 Votes
a lawyer put something(2500) on my credit report saying i owed him...keep in mind that i SIGNED NOTHING with this lawyer...no retainer NOTHING!!...so i call equifax and say HEY this is fraud i signed nothing!!...the lady on the phone told me this''''' sir IF I take this off all they have to do to put it back on is send us your SS# with the amount and its back on"""""...and when u put in a dispute saying you dont owe this..>ALL they have to do to contest it and WIN is to say '''' IT IS HIS""" and thats it...can u believe thats what the equifax lady told me?????...total crooks..

sooo beware IF ANYONE gets your social sec number they can put something on your credit report and its almost impossible to get it taken off

The Lice Lady's Tips to Keep Your Child Lice Free