logo

onlinebooking_refunds@philairlines.com
double charge
5. (1 hr 43 mins ago)
fugenx.com
Their work is horrible, slow and doesn’t worth of your money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Proctor & Gamble
46-063 Emepela Place R209
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Hi all,

I want to warn everyone to stay away form Duracell batteries. I have been using Duracell batteries for years and in the past I have been very pleased with the batteries, but not anymore. We have been buying our batteries form Costco and recently I went to start my annual changing of the batteries in various devices and lo and behold I found leaking Duracell batteries not just one and not just in one appliance, but multiples in a variety of different devices. I found the following:

1. Two leaking double AA batteries in a Force FX collector’s edition Light Saber, not easily replaceable. It took me two hours to cleanup the mess it made

2. Two leaking AA batteries in a $ 300.00 R/C car, (for the servos). Fortunately, these were in a battery holder and did no damage to the car itself – time to clean up the mess 30 minutes

3. Two AA batteries in another car remote control, time to clean and repair 2 hours

4. Four leaking AAA batteries in a Minolta SLR camera – time to clean up and repair 2.5 hours.

5. Two leaking AA batteries in a TV remote control, I had to buy a new one of these, (thanks P&G)

6. Three leaking AAA batteries in an X10 remote light controller, it had to go to that great electronic round file in the sky, (again thanks P&G).

I’m still not done. I am going through the house checking everything that takes a battery wall clocks, alarm clock etc.

Cost in my time far 6 hours, (so far) plus the cost of having to replace two pieces of equipment that were total losses and that fact that the other things I was able to cleanup and repair are no longer in the pristine condition I’ve always tried to keep them in. Further, all these batteries were within their acceptable use dates and what’s more other brand batteries that were installed in similar devices at the same time are fine.

Proctor & Gamble huh? gamble is right, they have apparently tried to save money by going with a cheaper manufacturer and it shows.

Not only have they lost a long time customer, but I will be posting this to every complaint board I can find and warning all my friends to stay away from Duracell batteries and will be returning what batteries I have left to Costco if they will take them back.

P&G you are a classic case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Does anybody know of a class action lawsuit in respects to quality issues/leaking problems with Duracell batteries I can join?

BTW the photo shows only some of the bad batteries, I should have kept them all and took picture of them plus the damaged devices before I cleaned/repaired and/or threw them away.

OMG I’m ANGRY!!!

Sincerely,

A FORMER Duracell customer

Duracell

Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jan, 2010 by   photographer1234 0 Votes
I had some problems with leaking AA Duracell batteries about two years ago.

That incident made me cautious and I so now I always remove them from my photo equipment and store them in a plastic bag. I have not used the camera for over a year and I just found all 8 used and 12 reserve AA batteries leaked out. What a mess. Thank god they were not in the camera. Year on the battery is 2011
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   thorganby york 0 Votes
I am experiencing repeated incidents of AAA Duracell battery leakage into domestic phones.

I have always respected Duracell as a reliable product but this is now a much repeated experience and I shall be using them no more
 20th of May, 2010 by   Brett55 0 Votes
I am having the same problem. I have had to change the batteries in s few products and found batteries leaking inside. Just a few minutes ago my son was playing in his room and came out crying and scared. He said "Something in my room went pop and then I heard a hissing noise" I couldn't figure out what it was so I went in to investigate. Apparently I had laid some batteries on a shelf and one of them popped. It was oozing stuff. I quickly carried it outside to show my husband.

As I was carrying the battery outside I started tasting something wierd in my mouth and now my throat hurts. So I looked online to see if this is a problem with anyone else and saw this site and figured I needed to leave my comment.

But honestly lately the amount of products I've had with Duracell batteries in them that have died quickly and found leaking batteries is numorous.
I'm done with them
 5th of Oct, 2010 by   Meveng 0 Votes
Duracell quality is down to zero. In a year, leaking Duracell AA and AAA cells damaged beyong repair three TV remotes and two LED flashlights. In one of the flashlights the batteries were outside the battery holder and inside a plastic bag with the empty flashlight. The batteries leaked so badly that the rubber cover of the flashlight became permanently sticky and I had to get rid of it. So, not even keeping the batteris separate from the device saved it. Sometimes the shelf life in printed as far as four years ahead but I have found them leaking while still in the original package one year after buying them. So no more Duracell for me. I am sticking with Energizer and the brand that Costo sells (Kirkland). They couldn't do worse.
 10th of Oct, 2010 by   pvanscherpe 0 Votes
I just experienced my second produced getting ruined by leaking AA copper tops. I will be moving on to another band from now on.
 10th of Oct, 2010 by   pvanscherpe 0 Votes
I need to clarify my prior post. One leak was from D size Copper tops and the other was from AA Copper tops.
 12th of Nov, 2010 by   garyinlyons 0 Votes
I have used Duracell batteries for years and years and in the past 5 years I have had 7 different devices that the AA or AAA cells leaked in. I guess I will try and find a good substitute. I just had a vary strange experience with some Energizer C cells in a boom box. Some how all the batteires went bad and as far as I could tell the device was not run off of batteries but a wall wart. When I checked the batteries two of them had reversed their polarity and read -1Volt DC. Have not seen this with alkaline batteries. The latest was the discovery that a battery pack in service less than 6 months had leaked. See the photo below.
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   Zuleyka 0 Votes
Hello, I´m from Perú. I´m really upset because the battery AAA only last for 5 hours. Normaly they last over a week. I don´t know if the fact happens because there are made in China. I´ll find a substitute. These fact won´t happent to me again.
 14th of Apr, 2011 by   R.Mukunthan 0 Votes
Yes I too had a Bad Experience The Duracell Batteries are not as good as it was 2 years back. The product has gone bad and leaking worse than cheap Chinese batteries. It damaged My $250 programmable remote beyaond repair!
 1st of Aug, 2011 by   wolfdown 0 Votes
Pretty much same story. I had AAA and AA duracell packs from costco. I think 50% of all the cells ended up leaking within a few months of use. Also the expiration is over 1 year away. Never buying these again.
 2nd of Oct, 2011 by   Avi8tor 0 Votes
I have also noticed that Duracell batteries are no longer a good product. They are now made in China and are crap. I found Duracell batteries leaking in a GPS when it would no longer work. Then a wall clock, then a remote thermometer and a Maglite. I filed a complaint with Proctor and Gamble (gamble is the operative word if you purchase Duracell batteries). P&G's response was that if I would send in the damaged device along with the leaking batteries that they would check it out and make a decision about repair or replace. I had already tried to clean up the mess and had thrown the batteries away. Next damaged item I find I will save the batteries along with the device and send it to P&G to see what happens. I will not buy Duracell batteries again
 21st of Oct, 2011 by   Edna Romano 0 Votes
I have similar issues with AA batteries only. P& G claim that the batteries can leak if voltage falls below 1.48 V. It ruined two weather station devices and one atomic clock to the tune of $ 450 dollars. Repairs were rejected. Never had this issue before until about two years ago. Something changed in how they are made. Just can't put my finger on it.
 16th of Nov, 2011 by   Meflaca 0 Votes
I completely agree as we are having the same problems with Duracell batteries. We will no longer buy them. We used to buy ours at Costco also. We don't anymore. We also won't purchase Kirkland batteries from Costco as it is our understanding that they contract Duracell to make their batteries. We are extremely disappointed in Duracell and their makers. They need to step up before their stubbornness costs them more on their bottom line than correcting the problem now.
 30th of Nov, 2011 by   nomoreduracell 0 Votes
Just lost three flashlights and two remotes to Duracell AAA. Costco. Have not had this problem before. Saw a leaker in a new package at the store as well.
 1st of Dec, 2011 by   noslenpar 0 Votes
I had the same problem with leaking Duracell batteries fro Costco. I don't know if the problem is with all Duracell's or just the cheap bulk pack from Costco. They ruined my alarm clock and the remote control for my toy helicopter. And these are not things that sit around without being used for long periods of time. Never buying Duracell again. I now use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables, they're great.
 18th of May, 2012 by   Willem Jooste 0 Votes
Twenty Wireless PIR Alarm sensors scrapped thanks to Duracell. Cost for new Paradox $150.00 a piece, mount to $3000.00.
 22nd of May, 2012 by   rayaz 0 Votes
I live in Sri Lanka, I used to have major belief in Duracell batteries, when i got to these batteries when i used to come to US for projects. I was very sad that the product was not available in Sri Lanka. About a year ago, a major company in Sri Lanka launched Duracell and i jumped and purchased these since these batteries lasted long, and never leaked.
Oh boy was i disappointed. The batteries lasted shorter than the OEM batteries available locally, and most of them leaked even though the expiry date on them says 2016!
I have one AAA pack where the battery is leaking even before it was opened. Another AAA set where the battery has drained within the pack.
Disgraceful. Sadly there is no official compliant link in PG or the Duracell sites, i guess they don't want client feedback. I am very surprised that Duracell products have no been pulled off the shelf unless they are selling lower grade stuff to the Asian market.
 23rd of Jun, 2012 by   wbud 0 Votes
I have had the same problems and discontinued Duracell batteries.
 14th of Sep, 2012 by   Greg_P 0 Votes
I had the same thing happen to me recently. I contacted customer support. After providing some basic information, I was told I'd be sent an envelope and some information by mail so I could send the batteries and my device to Duracell for "examination". I was told the device would be returned to me in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. Well, the package arrived today. Inside the package was a coupon for a free 8-pack of batteries and a form requiring my signature to acknowledge that I understand my device will be "thoroughly examined" and cannot be returned to be because "the examination will destroy the product". You have got to be kidding me! Shouldn't they be examining their leaky batteries instead of the $250 digital recorder that was destroyed by their defective batteries? How does destroying my recorder help me? How does this resolve anything? If anything, it would appear they're doing nothing but destroying the evidence. Did they honestly think they could resolve this with an 8-pack of batteries? I assure you, they've lost a 30+ year customer over this. I'm extremely disappointed. Picture attached.
 21st of Oct, 2012 by   gary from canada 0 Votes
I had a 1 year old nikon flash unit, had is the optimum word. 2 of the Duracell AA batteries leaked into the unit. Total loss, 2nd time in a year Duracell's have leaked on me. No problem with my energizers, will pay more and avoid Costco multi packs.

Credit Card Billing Errors