Dish Network

Unethical Business Practices

South Carolina
I encourage everyone to reconsider if you plan to do business with DISH Network Satellite Services. DISH Network offered us a 30-day trial with no cancellation fee. We were told that it would be $120 to cancel after that point. We were told that it was a one year contract.

At the end of 30 days we decided to cancel their service because almost daily we had to contact their technical support to get the satellite signal back on line. When we contacted DISH to cancel the service, we were told that we were on a two year contract that started the day that the equipment was installed and that we would owe them $17.50 per month for the next 23 months. In addition, they had already charged us a $50 installation fee that wasn’t mentioned. They also informed us that they will charge us to ship their boxes back.

DISH is a less than honest company, and their customer service is very poor. We should have been suspect when we were transferred through five different people to initially start their service. Most times that we call, we deal with at least two different people. DISH has several 800 numbers as well as some 424 area code numbers that they rotate, so one week a number may work and the next it’s disconnected. The Indian people are very polite, but very hard to understand.

We have not yet settled the final costs, but we will probably wind up paying approximately $400 out-of-pocket for one month of basically non-functional satellite TV from DISH. So much for a 30-day trial with no cancellation fee.

I encourage everyone to stay away from this company, but if you do decide to go with them, be very careful to read the contract completely before you sign. Also be sure to document all conversations and get names of the representatives that you deal with. Good luck.
Complaint comments Comments (4) Complaint country United States Complaint category Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful?

30th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
On 1/4/2011 I was offered Dish Network service from a retail representative that made false claims and used unethical business practices stating that they could cancel my Direct Tv service without having to pay the early disconnect fee. This was all not true. WhnenI called Dish to report that they were using a company that had an F Better Business rating and was making false claims to get the Dish contract signed they refused to make any amends. I told them I was now getting billed from both companies and that they needed to accept responsibility for taking service calls from this retailer. They said that I had signed the contract and would have to pay a $450 disconnect fee if I canceled ( it has not been 30 days yet).
Dish Netwokrk could care less how they get their cash from us and is willing to continue to use known retailers that are scamming people out of thier savings by making false claims.
Somehow this has to stop. Whose service do I cancel? The honest folks at Direct Tv at @ $250 or Dish Network @ $450 and then Sirion Satellite with thier disconnect fee of $300. Really? Boy did I get taken by Dish Network and thier scam artist company Sirion Satellite.
Stay far away from Dish. They are crooks all the way. Everyone told me to stay away from them but I just couldn't listen.
I do have my contract that states that Sirion would cancel my Direct TV. Dish acted as though they had never heard of them and even told me that they could only take incoming calls so they could not get a hold of the retailers. Seriously? 2a455
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
DLH3354, my name is Tommy Faust with DISH Network. I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the retailer. I can definitely look further into your situation and the retailer in question. You mentioned you had the contract where the retailer says the retailer will cancel the contract with directv. If you could contact me at thomas.faust@dishnetwork.com I would be glad to assist.
 5th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
Trying to get accounting information and discontinuing service should not be so difficult...my father, the account holder, died recently, and I was trying to help my mom notify all vendors/service providers to change the name on the account, and in some instances, discontinue service. Pretty much every other company was helpful and reactive, but not Dish. First, they required a death certificate before they would even talk to me about ANY details on the account. When I finally had the death certificate in hand, I tried to call the phone number they provided for their "Dispute Resolutions Department" and was not able to get through...I probably tried 50 times over the course of a few days and it was busy EVERY single time...kind of like they don't want you to get through... I finally looked online and found the number to their corporate office and was able to get transferred (that number is 303-723-1000) and get the fax number to send the death certificate. To make a very long and painful story short, after numerous phone calls -- always to different people...could NEVER get the same person twice -- and the sending of 5 faxes over the course of a week, they finally said they received the fax. Anyway, they "confirmed" that one of the accounts would be discontinued but they needed me to fax yet another death certificate to discontinue service on the other account (there were two accounts in total, and inexplicably, each one needed it's own death certificate!!!).

We've dealt with telephone companies, banks, utilities and ALL of them were easy to work with. Some of them may have required death certificates, but all of them understood the gravity of the situation and were helpful and willing to work with me. But with Dish, I had phone numbers that didn't work (i.e. busy all the time), voicemails to them that were not returned, faxes that were "not received", and I could NEVER get a manager on the phone...basically, they put up roadblocks at each step, no doubt in the hope that I'd just give in and continue paying for the service.

Beware of Dish Network -- they are no better than a street-corner criminal.
 5th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hey frustratedbydish, my name is Tommy Faust and I am with DISH Network's Executive Offices. I am sorry for the trouble you're having with the account. It was not our intent to make this process time consuming, especially in your situation.

We do require a death certificate before we're able to do anything to the account, but as you have sent it in we should have it on file. I would like you to contact me at thomas.faust@dishnetwork.com so I can be of further assistance to you on this.

Dish Network Logo Dish Network