logo

Avvya
FAKE/TOXIC SOAP
2. (36 mins ago)
DHL
DHL non delivery and theft!
3. (38 mins ago)

Posted: 2012-07-11 by    Jayson78

Contract

Direct TV
Colorado Springs, Colorado
On 7/11/12, Direct TV reduced our service with them by approximately 25 channels. I consider this to be a breach of contract by Direct TV, so I decided to cancel my service with them. I called to cancel on 7/11/12, and they informed me that I would have to pay $220 to cancel. The service representative also stated that I will have to continue to pay for those channels, even though they are no longer available to me. The person I spoke with was Bobbi/emp # TRG52611
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Apr, 2008 by   Trent Dugas 0 Votes
This is the interaction with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB is useless as well. They are not out for the small person, they are out for big business. Do not do business with Direct TV. They practice deceptive business practices. And the people at Direct TV, including Bobby Vernon, are completely useless.

DirecTV, Inc.

2230 East Imperial Highway El Segundo, CA 90245
Contact: Bobby Vernon
Phone: (310) 535-5000

I'm writing regarding my acct that I opened on 8/11/07. I purchased the NFL package, which is a 4 month deal at about $70 per month. I called Nick on 12/20/07 at the 1-800 # & he said that you had charged me $394.45. Under my impression, I should only be charged roughly $270 for the package. Nick went on to tell me that I had the HD receiver & that I signed a 2yr contract. I was a bit surprised with this because nowhere in the process of ordering verbally or contractually was I notified of this. He directed me online to the small print page that described this & sure enough it said this. He told me to write a letter to this address & ask to be taken out of the contract. I beg you, please remove me from this contract. I can't afford a two year contract & didn't realize I was getting 2yrs for that receiver. I don't even have an HD TV. All I have is a small 19 inch TV. I saved up all year & was so excited to get my NFL package & then this was dropped on me. Please, don't ruin my impression of DIRECTV. I can't afford the 2yr contract & certainly can't afford the cancellation fee. Please, have a kind heart. I don't have a lot of money& only saved up enough for the $270 for the package. I normally don't have any extra cable or satellite to my apt & thought it would be exciting to have the NFL package. If I had known that I was going into a 2yr commitment, I would've not got into this program.

Response from Direct TV
We are sorry for any misunderstanding. Upon review of the account we that you activated your account with a new customer promotion giving you our best package, Premier, at no charge for 4 months, when you subscribe to the NFL SUNDAY TICKET. Under this offer, you were charged $69.99 each month for 4 months for the NFL SUNDAY TICKET. At the end of the 4 months, the Premier began charging at its regular price of $99.99 a month. We show that you activated on 8/11/07, therefore the promotional offer ran until 12/10/07. The Premier began charging on 12/11/07 and was reflected on the 12/12/07 billing statement. You contacted us on 1/11/08 and your account was suspended at your request for 6 months with a reactivation date scheduled for 7/31/08. We have reviewed the charges, payments, and credits as they appear on your account, and consider them to be accurate. At the time you placed your order, we advised you there would be a commitment associated with the equipment you were acquiring and activating. We also noted the commitment on the order confirmation we mailed to you. We significantly discount the price of equipment and installations and we pass this savings on to our customers. In exchange we ask you to keep your programming for a specified amount of time. The length of the commitment is based on the equipment ordered (12 months for standard equipment and 24 months for advanced equipment such as the DVR). We have reviewed your account and unfortunately we are unable to waive your commitment.

Response from me.

These are deceptive business practices. The person I talked to never warned me about the 2 year contract. That makes no sense. All I wanted was the football package. Why would I have agreed to 2 years? If you had warned me, I would have said no. It is that simple. You are roping me into this contract by giving me equipment I did not ask for and then saying I was told. That is not true. You did not mail me an invoice, you emailed me one. And if you are at all interested, I can provide the proof that nowhere in the invoice and included links does it lead to the fact that I signed up for 2 years. You also lost my $100 dollar refund money because you were late twice to my house. How is this? Because these are deceptive business practices.

Response from Direct TV

Our records show you ordered your system online at directv.com. Prior to completing the order online, you must have agreed to the terms and conditions of the offer by checking a box stating you agree. We also advised you of the commitment on your first statement, which was viewed by someone that has access to your online account. All prospective customers are able to view detailed commitment information online at directv.com/agreements prior to acquiring equipment and services. We have reviewed your account and unfortunately we are unable to waive your commitment. We have applied a $100 credit to your account because of a missed installation in August ‘07. We apologize for the delay.
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   the dawson family 0 Votes
Trent you hit the nail right on the head.DTV is a horrible company. Go to the other links and read what all their customers are going through.Just what their almost customers went through but unlike us missed all the deceptive buisness practices. Wait until you cancel your account completly and have to send their equipment back. Their going to hit with cancellation fees for contracts you never signed-try to charge you up to 470.00 dollars a box if you don't get the equipment back.They post the shipping before you even get the boxes then give you exprss save shipping which takes 2-3 days so by the time they get it it past 7 days. You should call the 800 # the lines are recorded ask for employee names and i.d. numbers write down time and date you called. Copy any e-mails you send and any e-mails you get back.Always check your billing staement they never get it right. Their trying to charge me a cancellation fee of 274.00 for a contract I never signed-Their reps are very rude disrespectful and bullies. Before you cancel your service talk to your credit cards and bank to let them know what is going on with this company. You have to protect yourself this company know nothing about good customer service. Contact your local news station, attorney generals office, better buisness bureau, consumer protection bureau-anybody who will listen if this is how they treat 20-40 year olds just imagine how they must treat 60-80 year olds.
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   louann Lindow 0 Votes
We had a two year contract with direct tv in 10/06. In April of this year after many problems they replaced a HD receiver which the old one blew up and now I had cancelled service and switched to charter in June of 09. they told me when you replace a receiver you go back to the orginal contract. They are charging me $420 early cancellation fees. I sent the receiver back as told. I am very upset and hate this company. i have made many phone calls and had sleepless nights over this. What can I do ? They said they will turn it over to an collection agency and our credit has been the best anyone could have.
 27th of Dec, 2009 by   riokc1 0 Votes
Bait and Switch. Direct TV appears to offer a good deal but fails to tell you of the 24 month contract, despite the promise of telling you to "try it and see if you like it." Moreover, try to cancel it--impossible to get a representative. Terrible. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!
 27th of Dec, 2009 by   RghtBkatU 0 Votes
You're just an idiot if you didn't know that. I don't have DirectTV and know that they have a contract. Cell Phones have contracts, Satellite Radio has a contract. Many things now-a-days have contracts. Learn to read before you sign the dotted line.
 16th of Feb, 2011 by   lilmoe897 0 Votes
I have been a custmer of direct tv for three years. Im switching to a new service and when i called i was told i would be paying for breaking my contract early. I asked why i would be paying for breaking my contract when i signed up for a two year service in 2008 and it is now 2011. They told me last year when there DVR broke and they sent me a new one. They renewed my contract for a year without telling me. So beware when there stuff breaks and they fix they renew your contract for another year.
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   dartmeister 0 Votes
Direct TV and AT&T have been jerking us around for about 2 weeks now. Been a customer for about 18 years. Got tired of over paying they said they'd make it right. Bottem line they sold me a bundle for TV and AT&T high speed internet. They installed the Satellite on Feb. 16th I told the installer I would not honor a two year contract if they did not do everything their suppose to. He said that was up to me but I only had 24 hours to cancel. Four hours later called them up with a problem already and let them know then I did not except the agreement pull it out if they had to, or no contract. Well its Feb. 21st still have no internet thanks to AT&T, which it a whole nother complaint. As of today direct TV says they don't bundle internet with AT&T. Of coarse now direct TV says I am locked into a two year contract which if I break their going to charge me for boxes and install. When they set this all up there wanted a credit card for a one time charge of 10.00, which was ok but I check my online account alittle while ago and they have my card on file. I did not authorize this and when I ask them to remove it they refused. Been off work with surgery so I bet I've spent at least 20 hours or more on the phone in the last 2 weeks. Between direct TV and AT&T their selling bundles of services together but one does'nt know what the other is doing. What attorney do you call?
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   CrystalWilliams 0 Votes
Go to your state attorney general. I just had the same problem and found out that Directv has been sued over many issues. They took $850.00 out of my account on Feb 13th, throwing my account into the negative. I filed a complaint with the MI AG, and also my bank. First thing you need to do is call your bank and tell them to NOT honor any charges Directv makes. I was charged for the boxes that I returned, early termination fees, Novembers bill that I had already paid, and a whole bunch of NSF charges now from my bank.
 31st of May, 2012 by   MichaelMurphy 0 Votes
Never Agreed To any contract with this company!! Never was told about a contract!!! I told direct tv this was a temporary move from ny to md due to aging ill parents that need my attention.when i attemted to disconnect service with them after one yr of paying bill in full I asked repeatedly about not wanting bank information stored was told for one yr from direct tv that is was not and when i set up to disconnect my service with them i was then told about a two yr contract and that direct tv did store my banking information and that they will be debiting my account for early termantion fees i knew nothing about. Corporate offices stated there was nothing i could do and that they have my banking information and will be accessing my account for fees. Please Help Very Concerned Consumer!!! I will never return for services to this company ever after this horrifying experience!!!
 31st of May, 2012 by   Thud 0 Votes
Call your bank and change your debit/credit card number. If they already charged it, dispute the charge and block them from charging it again. Then file a complaint with the BBB and your state's attorney general.
 12th of Jul, 2012 by   very angry in NH 0 Votes
I just went through the same deal...only they want $400.00 from me for early termination fee of a contract I didn't even know I signed...Complete BS!!!

Identity Theft Has Many Forms