logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Weiss Comestic & Laser Procedures Blepharoplasty
Terrible/Horrible Asymmetry eyelids surgery (blepharoplasty)
2. (1 mins ago)
DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WHITES

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Direct TV Complaints & Reviews - Billing dispute!

Direct TV Contacts & Informations

Direct TV

Posted:    Cheryl Nolin

Billing dispute!

I canceled my service with Direct TV last week because I got married and moved in with my husband and today I found an unauthorized charge on my bank account, I don't even have direct pay with this company nor was I under a contract although they claim I was because they sent me a replacement for a faulty DVR which they say automatically extended my contract without my knowledge. They closed my complaint without contacting me and then they wrote on my account that I knew about the extension which was completely false. They then charged me an early cancellation fee and took the money out of my bank account without my knowledge or authorization. I believe this should be a criminal offense for them to take money out of my account without my authorization.
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Dec, 2007 by   jason 0 Votes
Direct TV SUCKS!!! We should all take them to a class action. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. I AM NEVER TAKING THEIR SERVICE. I JUST SENT TO 35,000 EMPLOYEES IN MY COMPANY REGARDING THEIR POOR BEHAVIOR.

YOU ALL SHOULD DO THE SAME. LET THE WORLD KNOW ABOUT THEM.
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   Drew 0 Votes
Same deal with me, but better yet the account was not under my name. I paid for a Direct TV bill once for my friend that was in financial problem and bam his balance was deducted from my checking account a couple months later. WTF is that! Is there no Law? I called my bank to file a fraudulant charge on my account and filed a report to BBB and other reporting agency and I hope you all do the same.

To hell with Direct TV! ADD me to the Class Action. Even if Direct Tv/Banks credit your money back, dont back down. Theres other innocent people out there that dont know what to do when this hits them, its our duty to make a stand and watch each other backs!
 16th of Dec, 2007 by   Oliver C 0 Votes
Please file your complaints with your state Attorney Generals Office, FTC and BBB. Also make sure you dispute any "unauthorized" charges with your bank.

Everytime DirecTV received a billing dispute (chargeback) they are charged $20-$40 per dispute by their bank. If 5% of their transactions result in chargebacks, their bank will have serious problems with DirecTV's billing practices.

Start sending your disputes, file your complaints and get a class action lawsuit going!

I'm sticking with DishNetwork, much cheaper n better service.
 27th of Dec, 2007 by   betty fields 0 Votes
Right now i have to be neutral i haven't so far had a problem but i'm sure i will after hearing all of this i've only had direct 2 months if i had of known all of this i wouldn't have gotten directtv. I don't need no more problems in my life one thing i will do is tell anyone that's interested to check into it first.

If all of this is true something needs to done to people like this ripping people off. Yes i agree a lawyer needs to get in on this something needs to done you just can't take people money. One thing you can take to the bank "GOD SEES ALL AND HEARS ALL HE WILL TAKE CARE OF THE WRONG DEVILS" PRAY FOR THE WRONG THEY GET FAR .
 25th of Jan, 2008 by   Elaine Roe 0 Votes
My subcription with direct has expired. I have had alot of trouble with thier upgrading system. I have cancelled my account, I have a bill due and they told me that they were going to take it directly out of my bank account. I asked them not to, that I would pay it myself but they will not allow it. I do not reccomend direct tv to anyone.
 9th of Feb, 2008 by   Dwayne Mullins 0 Votes
We have a similar problem and I agree that this company has the worst customer service I have ever seen. After getting completely fed up with their lousy service and junk equipment, I canceled our service, agreed to buy out the balance of our contract so we could switch to Dish (who we are very happy with by the way), then our bank account was also charged without authorization! They claimed we did not return two of the four receivers. Luckily, we saved the tracking #'s which they used to confirm that we had returned the receivers. The problem now is getting a refund credit issued for the $126 they STOLE from our bank account. After being assured that the money would be refunded, I've had to make a second call today because we still haven't received it. Considering all the problems we've had out of this company, I would love to see a class action against them as no company would deserve it more! I once told one of their service reps (when they were trying to convince me that because one of our receiver was defective and replaced under warranty that constituted renewing the contract for another two years!) that the mafia had better business ethics than their company, and that's the God's honest truth!!! This company does not deserve to have charter for a corporation and it should be revoked!!!
 11th of Feb, 2008 by   Kevin.Birmingham 0 Votes
Direct TV charged my father, who does not have Direct TV, a charge for $110.00. He disputed the charged so Direct TV turned it into a credit card payment reversal on my account and told me that I'm not allowed to make a credit card payment for 6 months. But one early Sunday morning I received a phone call from an outside Collections Agency telling me that I CAN make a credit card payment, so I used my debit card and I paid $354.00. After they took the payment, and after they removed the money from my checking account they said they couldn't turn my Direct TV on again because I had already been told that I wasn't allowed to make a credit card payment. So (1) they refused to turn my services back on, and (2) they also refused to give me my money back so I could make what they call a "valid" payment. So they said "it's not a valid payment", but yet they're keeping my money. They told me that the only way I could get my services back on now is I can do one of two things. I can either go to the bank and send them an additional $354.00 OR I can wait two months for the original payment to post.

Now, when I call Direct TV I get transferred to a call center in the Phillipines and all they do is apologize to me for this but they tell me that they can't help me and that no one can. I'm told that I can't contact the Corporate Office to file a complaint and my bank tells me that I can fill out a form and have them investigate but it would take up to 10 days for them to do this, so they stole my money!!
 10th of Mar, 2008 by   Suzanne Gunnells 0 Votes
I too fell victim to Direct TV. When I ordered this service, I was told my installation was free. I had to pay a UPS shipping charge and could get a reduced price on a service agreement if I gave them a credit card number. When the installer got here, He said it would be a $200.00 charge. I immediately got on the phone for an hour and a half, being transferred around until I was finally told my UPS charge would be refunded to my acct to help offset the cost. I never was refunded my money.

I have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get resolution and voicing my opinion of how unhappy I am with their service. I finally got fed up with the whole thing and called to cancel my service. I was told they would send boxes for me to send my equipment in and I told her to send me a final bill and I would pay it. Not once did she mention hey don't worry, we are going to steal the money out of your account, but guess what...they took $501 out of my acct 4 days later. Imagine my surprise, when I was overdrawn the day after payday!!!!

I talked to my bank who said this was the third time in two days, they had this problem. I have spent countless hours on the phone over the past three days (on hold, being transferred, listening to robots talk in circles) finally being told that the contract I signed gave them permission to do this: however they cannot produce a contract I signed!!!
I can write a bill dispute dept in CO, but they don't have a phone. How ridiculous is that?

The last witch I talked to told me boxes had not even been sent yet for me to return my equipment and that they took the banking info from my payments to deduct this money.

Since I was never given the chance to pay this bill, and they took it upon themselves to take whatever they wanted out of my acct, I am furious. This is robbery and it is no different than me using my card somewhere and them turning around and stealing money out of my acct.

This is wrong and it has left me feeling lied to, cheated, stole from raped, and hung out to dry!!! Is there any justice left in this world???

I want to do something to expose them as the crooks they are but I don't know where to go from here...Can someone please help? I'm thinking class-action lawsuit.
 17th of Mar, 2008 by   allison patterson 0 Votes
I cancelled their service after 4 days which was within their time frame for a refund. I asked how to get the refund and return the equipment, they sent me pre-paid UPS boxes and I sent the 4 recievers back to them. I didn't see a credit to my account so I called after about 2 1/2 weeks to make sure they recieved the equipment. They showed that they had the equipment, but that they would not be refunding my money because it isn't their policy the refund for equipment! Whatever! So I stopped payment through my credit card bank and called back again to talk to someone reasonable. I found the reasonable guy who said sorry for the hassle, it was fine that I stopped the charge, and my account balance was zero. And then I got a letter stating I would be sent to collections if I didn't pay the money for the equipment! They sent me to collections. I am now dealing with Riddle and Assoc. because DirectTV sicked them on me, but I sent them all the BS info from DirectTV that I have and told them I would be copying the BS claim to my own attorney to clear up my credit record due to this lovely company.
 30th of Mar, 2008 by   j francis 0 Votes
W just got hit by Direct TV. We recently cancelled the service after having it since the late 90's. In October of 2007 our DVR quit working and we called Direct TV to repair. They said it was dead and sent a replacement. I specifically asked if there was a charge and was told "no". That our monthly fee covered it.

When I called to cancel I was told that I owed 320 dollars for early cancellation since the 'new' dvr carried a 2 year contract. I have talked to every service rep they have. The story is the same. A slip of paper in the box used to ship the new dvr to us said that it carried a two year contract. I am protesting the charge, however I just looked at my bank account and Direct TV has charged by check card with 75 dollars! I never gave them this debit card, however do electronic bill payment.

If someone has a class action suit going, let me know.
 26th of Apr, 2008 by   cjay 0 Votes
DirecTV took out over $400 out of my bank account!
They will not help me and continue to give me the run around!

I filed a dispute with my bank and almost got my money back until it was "discovered" that the very first person I had talked to at the bank said I said that I did owe the money to DirectTV!!!
WTF!!!
They STOLE that money out of my account and nobody will help me get it back!
I need that money!!!

I tell everybody I know not to ever deal with DirectTV!!!
 5th of Jun, 2008 by   Curtis Lombardi 0 Votes
I ordered DirectTV after buying a plasma TV at Circuit City. After ordering the service and not receiving the installation or unit for over a month I called about the installation. I was told an error was made and an installation date was scheduled. The installer showed up (a subcontractor to DirectTV) with ONE HD receiver instead of the four ordered. The second time the an installer was sent out he showed up again with a single unit. A third time was scheduled and finally the two units showed up and were finally installed. Guess what happened then? DirectTV had the audicity to bill me for the service charges and the units after they told me I would not be charged for the units due to the numerous errors. This FREE installation was billed at over $600.00. After I refused to pay that amount they disconnected the service and billed me a $400.00 cancellation charge and turned it over for collection to CollectTech. I contacted CollectTech several times and spoke with Rachede Henry #3041119. I reached an (accord and satisfaction) a resolution with her and agreed on a correct amount which I then paid based upon our mutual promises. I was told that the service would be restored in fifteen minutes. After two hours the service was not restored so I contacted CollectTech again. I was then told that I would now have to pay another amount over $400.00 and said that the service would not be restored. I refused to pay any more since these errors were the sole fault of DirectTV. Today I had to cancel my debit card because of the behavior of both companies. Unfortunately for them I happen to be an attorney. Just to name of few of the grounds: Bait and Switch; Unfair Debt Collection Practices (usually allows for treble damages and attorneys fees; Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices (usually allows for treble damages and attorneys fees); fraud; negligence (misr;epresentation); prima facia tort (for States that have this remedy); Breach of Contract; just to name a few. I would also suggest that anyone injured by these deceptive practices report the behavior to the State Attorney General (they have been sued by an Attorney General and paid damages), and the FBI as this is not an isolated event but rather appears to be a practive of deceptive behavior and collection practices. Please contact me if you are interested in being a witness. I have every intention of suing DirectTV and CollectTech for these practices.
 18th of Jun, 2008 by   Shawn 0 Votes
Direct TV is a rip off,

In March 2008 I decided to call Direct TV and subscribe (what a mistake), I called up and talk to a gentleman who used the phrase “your total satisfaction” and “Commitment to Customer service” every couple of seconds. He convinced me that I would be very happy with Direct TV.

There was a $213.35 charged on my bank account at that time, but during my conversation with the representative I was NEVER informed that this fee was non-refundable.

My installation was scheduled for March 29th between 1:00 to 4:00pm, the technician showed up around 4:30pm with a trainee and took more than 2 hours to install the hardware (very simple installation, most of it to teach his trainee) and about an hour an a half to two hours trying to get the system to work, after making many attempts, phone calls, resetting, plugging and unplugging the receiver he was not able to make the HD DVR receiver to work, few times he thought that he had it but it would lose signal and display message “searching 777”.

By this time it was (Friday night) around 8:30pm, he said that there was something wrong with the receiver and I should wait until tomorrow and call him if I still were receiving the “searching 777” message, I tried few times to change channels but the same message was displayed. I switched to Dish Network (I was planning on cancelling after Direct TV was installed) and then I turned everything off and went to bed. By the way I requested three receivers and installations, only one receiver (HD DVR) was actually installed and the other two were on the carpet in my bedrooms and not installed or checked, the installer left my house with all the boxes and packaging spread all over my living room, at first I refused to sign the paperwork since nothing was working but he begged me to sign since he said that “he would be fired if I didn’t”, he gave me his hand written card with a phone number on it and asked me to call him first thing in the morning.

Since I work on Saturdays I got up early and checked the HD DVR Receiver, same message, no signal, I tried to change the channels no luck, turned everything off and went to work, I called the installer, lady answered the phone and put me on hold for about 25 minutes, I hung up and called 30 minutes later again the phone rang about 10 times lady answered before I could talk she put me on hold for another 20 or so minutes, I tried to call back later but phone would ring and no one would pickup the phone, that is when I tried to call Direct TV for help, the first person I talked to was Charlene, I explained to her my situation she apologized and told me that I had to contact the installer, I said that I had already tried, then click the line went dead. I called back and talked to Shantee, she forwarded me to Alicia and I was told that since I had the Spanish package I had to talk to someone else, I was transferred to a gentleman with Spanish accent who did not identify himself, after explaining my situation, click I was disconnected. I called back and Talked to Alina then transferred to Supervisor Dana (401578), I explained to her that I was getting the runaround and at that time I decided to cancel my service since I only had three days to cancel without a penalty, and I begged her to confirm, that is when she gave me her employee number for confirmation. (Spelling of some of the names may not be correct)

That was my Saturday’s work, needless to say I did not get anything accomplished at my Job, by the time I got home the service was already disconnected. I called on Sunday to ensure that my cancellation was official; Ken verified it.

Few days later I received three boxes from Direct TV asking me to return the receivers which I did the same day, confirmation Numbers were given to Wells Fargo Bank, ALL three receivers were delivered on 3/10/2008 and received by Cervantes, verified by Direct TV representative.

Few days later I noticed that my bank account was charged $426.48, I called Direct TV and talked to James (100161096) he looked it up and confirmed that I cancelled within the three days and my account should NOT have been charged the cancellation fee, but he asked me to write to billing, I called back and talked to Nydia, no help, that is when I decided to call my Bank to contest the charges, Bank representative asked me to have a conference call with Direct TV’s customer service representative, I agreed and she made the call and talked to Pam and then Supervisor Stephanie (100279374), during our phone conversation I explained everything that had happened and she agreed with me and agreed that I should get a FULL refund. Few weeks later I was credited $414.00 instead of $426.48, I did not contest the difference, I waited about a month and called my Bank to find out about the $213.35, since it was more than 30 days they reversed the charges. A week later I received a bill from Direct TV for the amount of 213.35.

I entered this agreement based on GOOD FAITH, professional installation, excellent customer service and a working system, in my opinion and in the opinion of most of Direct TV customer service representatives Direct TV failed to fulfill and deliver on their promise/contract and I am entitled to an unconditional full refund since I did not have a minute use of the system, my co-worker had a similar situation and had to wait almost a week to get another installer to fix his “searching 777” problem, he is still having problems with his HD DVR, so far Direct TV’s reply has been “it is a software problem and we are working on it”, by the way he is willing to testify to this matter, if and when necessary.

My account is now in collection and my credit in danger. By the way if you close your bank account and open a new one, Visa will forward the new number to them and they can charge you account again, according to my Bank.
 21st of Jun, 2008 by   Michele 0 Votes
IF A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BEGINS, IM IN. !!!DIRECT TV RAISED THEIR RATES, AND I RETURNED TWO BOXES ALREADY, DEFECTIVE. THEY DONT TELL YOU WHEN YOU RETURN THEM YOU INITIATE YOUR BEGINNING DATE OF THE SO CALLED CONTRACT AGAIN. THERE MUST BE CONSUMER RIGHTS! COLLECTION AGENCY CALLING NOW, I REFUSE TO PAY IT. PERIOD. DEMANDED COPY OF SIGNED CONTRACT, WHICH I DIDNT SIGN. THEY WONT SUPPLY IT BUT CONTINUE TO HARRASS ME.
DIRECT TV EVEN CALLED AND SAID HEY.. IF YOU RETURN TO US A CUSTOMER WELL CREDIT YOU $400.. WOW! ( THEY DONT TELL YOU THEYVE JUST BILLED YOU FOR IT FIRST.) THESE PEOPLE ARE EVIL AND HAVE NO MORALS, IMO.. CROOKS. AND THE EMPLOYEES JUST LAUGH ABOUT IT TOO, THEY ARE ALL ONTO THE 'GAME OF SCREW THE PUBLIC"

READ THE FINE PRINT FIRST..AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, IMO.. IT READS:
THEY ARE CROOKS. PERIOD.

I WOULD THINK AS CONSUMERS WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL SERVICES W/O JACKED UP FEES.. WE HAVE A RIGHT TO CANCEL SERVICES IF WE ARE NOT PLEASED W/ THEIR SERVICES, RETURNING BOXES IS PROOF OF IT.

THIS IS A FROM OF CONSUER TERRORISM AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

KARMA HAPPENS THOUGH AND SPREAD THE WORD OF THEIR SHADY PRACTICES.. IT WILL IMPACT THEM AT SOME POINT. :)
 2nd of Jul, 2008 by   Hobok 0 Votes
I sent the following to The CEO Mr. Carey.
This company is somthing else...

Dear Mr. Carey,
The below letter from my wife was submited to DTV today, I have also forwarded the letter via email to Ellen Filipiak. I wanted to make you aware of the poor follow through by the DTV Customer Service Department. We have spent too much of our time doing DTV's leg work over and over, I hope by taking this to your level this problem will be resolved, and that administrative action will be taken with regards to those who have consistantly dropped the ball. I will be going to the media and seeking legal council if DTV does not refund the over billing. At this point I don't know how you could make us Happy Customers again.
Sincerely,

P.O. Box 6550

Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

July 2, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

I am dismayed how in the world your company has stayed in business with such horrific unethical business practices. Please reference the following accounts pertaining to this letter: 8007XXXX and 3687XXXX.

I have been the victim of what I feel is unjust and incomprehensible billing practices. I have called your company since April of 2008 to dispute the issues on my account and I have spoken with numerous customer representatives. In early June of 2008, after nearly 2 hours on the phone with Direct Tv, my husband and I were transferred to a supervisor named Bahr. At that time, Bahr reviewed our account and promised he would personally call us back regarding the credit of $286.35 we should be receiving for the mistake on our account. He also promised to credit us $10.00/month for the next six months and give us 3 full months of HBO and Cinemax programming at no additional cost. When I spoke to the customer representative on July 2, 2008, he was not aware of any of this in his notes on the account and after spending yet another hour of my life on the phone with your company, I was told to write a full and detailed letter explaining the problem with this account.

Here are the details. I had Direct Tv in my home in TN for 2 years under the account number 3687xxxx. I cancelled the account officially on July 3, 2007, due to the fact that we were moving to Southern Florida on July 5, 2008 and the home had been put up for sale. I left all of the Direct Tv equipment behind for the new owner to use and I never planned to resume having programming with Direct Tv. I proceeded to sign up with Brighthouse Networks for all of my cable programming, internet and phone service. I was very happy with Brighthouse, but when I decided to switch my wireless service to AT&T, I was given an offer to become a Direct TV customer at a reasonable cost and bundle all of my services. At the time it seemed like a wonderful idea and since I had been happy with Direct Tv in the past, I felt it was not a problem. That was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. When I opened up the new account through Bellsouth, Direct Tv, who had been told to cancel account #3687xxxx on July 3, 2007, automatically reactivated my old account, as they say it was just suspended. Not only did they reactivate an old account, they then activated a second account number 8007xxxx. I was unaware that two accounts had been activated under my name. NO ONE EVER NOTIFIED ME NOR MY HUSBAND THAT THE OLD ACCOUNT, WHICH WE CANCELLED, HAD BEEN REACTIVATED!!! WE DID NOT RECEIVE A LETTER, AN EMAIL or A PHONE CALL REGARDING THIS MATTER!!!

Direct TV took the liberty of charging my American Express card without my knowledge for the following:

Spread sheet removed for privacy

I agreed to allow the charges for $36.61, $69.61 and $104.94. I DID NOT AGREE TO ANY OTHER CHARGES ON MY ACCOUNT. I WANT TO BE REIMBURSED THE $136.23 and $150.12 that was charged erroneously to my account and in my opinion fraudulently!!!

You may reach me by any of the following:

Julie Knox

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, FL 32937

julie@XXXXXX
321-XXXXX
321-XXXXX
321-xxxxx ext. 1040

I REFUSE TO PAY ANY FURTHER MONIES TO THIS COMPANY. IF YOU DISCONNECT MY PROGRAMMING ON JULY 12. 2008, I WILL PROCEED TO DROP OF MY EQUIPMENT TO ONE OF YOUR LOCATIONS and I WILL SUBSCRIBE TO BRIGHTHOUSE NETWORKS. I WILL NOT PAY THIS COMPANY FOR THE TWO YEAR EARLY OPT OUT IF THIS DOES HAPPEN WITHOUT LEGAL INTERVENTION.

JULIE XXXX
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   Chris Bennett 0 Votes
Same thing happened to us. We had our Direct TV for a couple of years, then when we moved they asked if we wanted a extra receiver for our bedroom. We said sure. A year later we canceled our service because we moved again and DTV would not move our system for free. We went to Dish Network. DTV said we were still under contract (because they sent us the extra receiver) and charged my card for a $ 137.00 termination fee without my authorization.
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   Simplyme 0 Votes
Those of you who want to sue please go to this website

22nd of Aug, 2008 by   Melba Calloway 0 Votes
Yep, I as well had the same problem. I have my contract and NO WHERE in my contract does it say that they cant revoke payment from an checking account without autorization. I have contacted the BBB. I'm thinking that maybe everyone else should too. I was shocked to see all the complaints about Direct TV when there are no complaints on file for the company at all (at least in the Los Angeles area). I opend up a new complaint on the company and im going to see where it goes. I asked for my fee to be refunded as well as my overdraft fee that my bank is now charging me, but honestly they have inconvienced me (6 months pregnant and could think of pleanty of things to do at this time with the $556 that they took), that i think more should be done to them for what they are doing. It has to be against the law
 26th of Aug, 2008 by   matthew reed 0 Votes
DTV charged me a additional $200 dollars for an early cancellation fee. I never was on contract with them, . After several found calls to no success I found that they signed me up for a "equipment replacement program" for a faulty receiver I apparently returned. Only thing is I have never returned a receiver as defective. I actually closed my account because of Customer service reasons and to this day have 1 extra receiver that they never accounted for. My final bill was 482.00 and change. Ripped off $200. PSSD OFF!
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   Kathie 0 Votes
I too have been scammed by Direct TV I bought a HD Tivo receiver from Best Buy but the HD quit working so I called DTV and they advised that the HD tivo no longer works and I would have to upgrade to a HD DVR, No mention of a contract, I even asked as we were no longer in a contract and did not want to be. I was told no contract extension, well they installed the equipment on 2/5/08 and low and behold I was roped into an 18 month contract. I called today for service repair and asked when my contract was up and was told 2/5/10, it is now a 24 month contract! I need to cancel my DTV because of a move so I am going to dispute the early termination fee ( probably to no avail) .

I am going to put editorials in all the major newspapers in Wisconsin which is free to do, and let everyone know that DTV are ripoffs!!! I suggest everyone else do the same.

Before I cancel my service I am contacting my credit union and request a new debit card with a new number so they cannot steal from my account!!!

Also if they charge me I am going to find a class action lawsuit and join them in suing DTV!!

2010 Year End Tax Tips