logo

Business / Personal Loan Offer
Apply urgent loan offer
2. (48 mins ago)
fugenx.com
Their work is horrible, slow and doesn’t worth of your money
3. (48 mins ago)

Diamond Resorts International

Posted:    J.D. Buford

Lies

Diamond Resort International
WARNING TO POTENTIAL BUYERS: You will need to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

In the words of their own customer service supervisor, "sales will tell you anything you want to hear".

This includes outright lies. Once you have a problem or try to get what you paid for:

They do not return phone calls

They do not reply to emails

Customer service will laugh at you

The email to the Chairman is a diversion. It goes to a low level damage control person.

This is not a legitimate company. It is purely a sales scam.

They also put a fence through the middle of their former "partners" best resort and gratuitously destroyed the facilities there. This is emblematic of their business practices.

Expect to be stonewalled
Comments United States Timeshares / Vacation Rentals
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2009 by   Robert Heughan +1 Votes
I purchased in August 2008. What a mistake. Some of this that Mr. Buford is stating is happening to me. No return of calls, no return of e-mails, agressive collection staff, not getting the resorts we said that we could get by the sales agent. Worth far less than what they sell it for.

R. Heughan
 7th of Mar, 2009 by   TMM +1 Votes
I have gone through the many changes from Sunterra to now Diamond resorts. I will have to disagree...I went on your typical owner update recently and was shown how they are now implementing their new approach to this industry. I signed up for a 90 minute presentation and they stuck by that. They were not pushy and were professional. They have started to renovate and add properties and the access to the "Club Select inventory" has been useful. Anyone that knows anything about timeshre knows that you are not going to get what you paid for it in total back but the better accomadations and the ability to pass it on to my kids is the reason we did it.
This industry is not perfect but it is better than the alternative...nothing back and in a one room hotel.

T. Mohr
 23rd of Apr, 2009 by   soldak1 0 Votes
Buying from Diamond Resorts is the worst possible decision you can make.

We bought from Sunterra many years ago. We have almost finished paying off our 11000 points. However now Diamond Resorts has raised the maintenance & "other" fees so high that the fees are more than it would cost us to stay at the resorts without being owners.

We are out 15k and will have to pay more to stay at a resort now than if we never bought in the first place.!!!

According to what we were told & our contract fees were set by Sunterra. But don't expect Diamond Resorts to follow your contract. You will have to take them to court to get them abide by the terms of a contract.

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM - STAY AWAY
 21st of May, 2009 by   natxlaw -1 Votes
If Diamond Resorts International is not a scam, they sure acted like one today. They went over time on the presentation by almost double (told me 90). The salesman lied to me about the person having my gift not being on the premises to try and keep me there longer, then folded when I got irate. There presentation consisted of a pure chicanery, showing irrelevant data comparing the price of 40 years of hotel to prices that did not include annual fees. A salesperson who could not answer my questions regarding the company's portfolio of assets said "That's an irrelevant question, " because I would not commit to buying something if she answered it.
I expected high pressure sales, I did not expect asinine and transparent lies that would not have fooled me as a 10 year old, or that the company sales strategy would be completely disinterested in the prospect of my business if I did not purchase this very day. That makes me think that they know they are selling a bad deal. Anyone who claims to sell a property interest for 10's of thousands of dollars and does not want you to have time to check them out is certainly not someone a wise consumer will do business with under any circumstances.
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   rucineman -1 Votes
I must be one of the lucky ones. I absolutely enjoy my Vacation Ownership property. I enjoy how I am not stuck taking the same vacation over and over year after year. The Club system that DRI uses is beneficial to me, since it pays for a lot of things I need or use during a vacation. I truly believe I get a lot for my buck. And I appreciate their point system and how often I can use it knowing the points will be replenished each year for the rest of my life.

~RAF
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   natxlaw -1 Votes
Well Rucineman,

If you are in fact a real buyer, and not someone from that sheister sales office in Williamsburg, (the one I alluded to in my above post) I am about to make you hate me, hate Diamond, and eat your words, so get ready to hate and eat . . .

After the high pressure sales presentation full of smoke and mirrors, I did as the sales staff assured me was NOT my best option, and researched what their timeshares went for on the resale market. While the Diamond people had tried to sell me points for about $3 per point, I found many sellers willing to sell them for $1 PER POINT. I liked 66% off, but that was only the beginning.

Natxlaw Hooks the Big Fish . . .
As I investigated further I learned more, much from the other branches at Diamond Resorts, who unlike the sales staff were helpful and truthful (also shocked at my claims of the sales staff). I wound up finding 15000 Diamond Points up for sale in a Dutch auction. I won these points, the same type Diamond tried to sell me for almost $50, 000USD, for a mere $300USD. That’s right $300 for a Diamond Gold membership. Another Dutch auction featured 20000 Diamond Points and went for $1.50, but those points (and of course fees) did not start until next year so that buyer will have to wait a bit longer.

Natxlaw’s Beef . . .
I never said Diamond Resorts was not a good deal for SOME people. It offers accommodations in comfort levels that would be out of most people’s price range at a full service hotel. My problem is a sales staff that tries to sell memberships by lying, marketing them as an investment (it is not an investment, someone paid 50K for this and I got it for $300), or skewing financial projections to make memberships look like something they are not (i.e. leaving the substantial annual fees out of the 10+ year figures they show you), like equivalent in price to staying at Motel 6 a few times a year.

Epilogue . . .
So when I am soaking it up with the other suckers on my annual stays with Diamond, I will casually mention “This Gold Membership was the best $300 I ever spent, ” and watch them choke on the cherry in their cocktail. Though they will hate me, they might learn something and make wiser choices in the future.
 11th of Oct, 2009 by   AZBigIron +1 Votes
We just came back from a Diamond resort in Sedona and were able to withstand the sales pitch. We were prepared for the pitch, but have to say they were very prepared and rehearsed. After we said no, over and over, they finally sold us the "sampler" package - around $890 for 7 nights which includes a location we were going to anyway. Good deal. But you have to be prepared for the pitch and able to withstand it. Not for the uninitiated. Too bad they have to resort to selling on an emotional basis instead of an intellectual one.
 8th of Nov, 2009 by   chris vittorini +2 Votes
I have been a timeshare owner for 6 years with Sunterra, which is now Diamond Resorts. If you read the comments on this site please take note of my expierience. My wife and I own at the Grand Beach Resort in Florida, we tried to book this year and come to find out that the point cost to stay at our resort has gone up, and now we were unable to stay there. We did stay down the street at Cypress Pointe which is better for the Kids but is an older property. Two years ago we stayed at Powhatan Village in Virginia, and the unit we stayed in should have been condemed! My wife and I, and also my children were repeatedly bitten by fleas. Yes Fleas! We called down to the front desk to get moved but were not successful. They didn't call us back at all, and we had to call again in the morning. 4 of us slept in the pull out couch that night. The next day they moved us to another unit, and in that unit the roof leaked on the second floor all night long! Needless to say this place is a DUMP! This year at Cypress Pointe my oldest daughter got ring worm... and yes we are very clean people. The place looked nice, but after walking around the unit for a while in barefeet, we noticed that are feet were BLACK! Dirty! Do not fall for their investment promises because you will still end up in an old unit on your next vacation. They were just granted a loan for 184million dollars to renovate some of their resorts, They should take some of that money and demolish some of the disease ridden units they currently own. I would never invest anymore money with this company.
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   ChefDan72 +1 Votes
My wife and I signed up for the "90 minute" presentation and attended yesterday at the Lake Tahoe property.

I don't want to re-hash everything that was said above about how terrible of a company Diamond Resorts is BUT please trust that all of the complaints above are very accurate!!

Our tour took 3 hours-we told them that we HAD to go at the 90 minute mark but they still kept us-

I am fairly certain that there was a microphone under our table so that they could listen in during the extended absences of the sales person-maybe I'm wrong?

I want the 3 hours back that they STOLE from my life!!!
 13th of Jan, 2010 by   yoohoo -1 Votes
I must disagree with all these negative postings. I have owned points with Diamond Resorts and have no regrets. To the people that posted there "opinion" but do not own a timeshare, they have no voice in the matter. You guys should rent from me and pay my timeshare off for me. As for the guy who claims he bought 15, 000 pts for $300, this is not possible. Do you wanna know why...because you do not get points on resale. Points are activated by the developer and DO NOT carry over on resale. For those of you reading this, you should visit Diamond Resorts blog forum of posting from REAL owners and you will get the real scoop.
FACTS: -Diamond Resrts has the ONLY points system through Interval Intl.
- Diamond Resorts owners DO NOT have to deposit a week to see the available inventory.
- Diamond Resorts as of Jan 1, 2010 posted a 93% satisfaction rate when they surveyed their existing owners.
- Diamond Resorts has more owners than any other company registered in Interval Intl.
So...for all you non-believers, don't buy the product and keep renting hotel rooms. Collect your rental receipts and when you spent enough to buy the product you will own nothing and Diamond owners will travel on their maintenance fee. As for the complainer that feels he wants 3hrs of his life back...don't go to timeshare presentations and quit being a mooch.
 16th of Jan, 2010 by   donmatzen -2 Votes
We've never had a problem with Diamond Resorts, except one and then only minor. They did not post our 2011 points correctly. When I called and discussed it, the individual stated it would take 3 -5 days to check into the matter. It took 6 hours and it was resolved.

If you want to deflect the cost of HOA dues, apply for a Diamond Resorts Chase Visa card. We reduced our HOA dues by 50% for 2010.
 25th of Jan, 2010 by   FRUSTRADA +2 Votes
My husband and I were given a week in St. Maarten by some friends who own a timeshare there which at the time was Sunterra. We went to the presentation and had planned not to buy anything, BUT we were given, what we thought, was a great opportunity as the gentleman who sold it to us said we could use our points in Dominican Republic where we have family and friends. So we thought, at the very least we could send family on a vacation there to use our points...come to find out, since all the resorts are all inclusive you have to pay an extra $50 per person per night!! If I book my stay through an agency in DR I would be paying around that each night for a whole week. Why would I pay withh my points and then pay again?!!? We were not told this at the time of sale nor were we told that club dues were anywhere near $800! We were also not told that exchanges with Interval Int'l are based on shareholders "giving up" their timeshare! Each and every time I call Diamond Resorts I learn something new about my timeshare that I never knew, all of which makes me so unbelievably angry that I wish I could sue! I don't know what to do with myself as I am in debt with something that I cannot stand to pay off.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   DanielThaler 0 Votes
Anyone who is saying something good about timeshares is a plant. It is one of the biggest scams thought of in years. I know so many disgruntled and unhappy people who are so regretful for having fallen for all of the lying and fraudulent claims. I'm stuck with mine now, I guess for the rest of my life. Even though it's totally paid for, I still regard my situation as being "stuck with it." Maintenance fees are ab0ut 900 dollars, and have steadily increased over the years and will continue to do so. It is so fraudulent I'm surprised the Feds cant get involved somehow. I wish someone would organize a tiemshare owners association, and all of us acted as one cohesive group. NO ONE pay their maintenance fees for a year. I mean literally NO ONE. Do you know how much revenue they would loose? I woudn't consider it at as being a "deadbeat." When people act together and say we've had enough, THINGS HAPPEN. All anybody want is a fair shake and some semblance of what we were told, even promised, about our timeshares.
 5th of Feb, 2010 by   Fester72 +1 Votes
Of course I never checked, but I want to know if it is possible to buy points from places other than the resorts themselves? A few posts above this I read about a Dutch auction or something. I enjoy the Tahoe property, but I am concerned that despite asking multiple times it takes a miracle to get into one of the new rooms. I am almost ready to ask them to show me a new unit other than the tour one.
 7th of Feb, 2010 by   Goldenbergs280 0 Votes
I must say, all these complaints have given me a good chuckle! My husband and I have been owners since the Sunterra days and have been happy about the changes Diamond Resorts have made. No, I am not a "plant" as some folks have posted! We regularly attend our "updates" and always expect them to go a little longer. Usually we get to talking about our lives and lose track of time. In all of our experiences, only once did we encounter a negative, "pushy" salesman, but I can't recall the gentleman's name. The sales staff has always been extremely pleasant & it is worth it to us to save some money on dining or activities. We find value in our ownership & always get to where we want to go. We are planners by nature and have always found that, with enough notice, we are able to get into the resorts we choose. My husband and I own with RCI and find it a more cumbersome, outdated system. It seems as though many folks are posting, but aren't even owners.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   NumberOneSucker +2 Votes
I never thought that I'd be one of the people that P.T. Barnum said was "born every minute." That's right, I'm a sucker. We bought a time share while in Sedona, Az about three years ago. The desperate song & dance actually convinced us to part way with our hard earned cash. The sad truth hit home the first time that I attempted to book a timeshare and the subsequent failure to find absolutely anything available. And that's why their "math" is lie.
Their pitchmen will show you how, over a span of years, you could spend well thousands of dollars more on hotels as compared to what you're paying for the time share.

The timeshare formula has nothing to do with reality.

Here's the reality--with a hotel room you'll always be able to go anywhere and stay anywhere as long as you want by simply booking it. You are not limited to one week out of the year.You won't be billed for maintenance on the hotel room after you check out (hey, that's included in the cost of your bill!). You can come back next week and you won't have to over and above the cost of the room just to book the room!

Finally, I simply do not believe that the positive comments posted here are from real customers. If they are, they do not have even an entry-level clue of the value of a dollar.
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   natxlaw +3 Votes
Fester72,

You can indeed purchase the points elsewhere! Just google "time share sales."

Goldenbergs280/Rucineman,

You are so transparent in your chicanery. No real person goes looking at a complaint and then joins to post one comment. With the Rucineman account you were not even clever enough to cloak where you were from, Williamsburg VA. Williamburg VA is the location of a sales office and two Diamond properties. Why would ANYONE from Williamsburg buy a timeshare in their home town? When I see someone joining just to post one comment, I am very suspicious. If you have any sense, you will give this up. The dumb people reading this are going to believe the sheer volume of discontent. The smart people are going to see that you are a fake, and think you are a shill from Diamond. Also, whenever you post, the rest of us are alerted to it and will finger you as a one comment wonder. A mad customer has a dog in the fight. A sales peon from a time-share company has a dog in the fight. A SATISFIED CUSTOMER HAS NO DOG IN THE FIGHT, So that is clearly not what you are.

-Natxlaw
 28th of Feb, 2010 by   abshish -1 Votes
If you want a good deal on a timeshare look at Marriott. They use points, own resort use, and exchange. We have been all over the world and haven't paid for a hotel or vacation in years! It is a great value if you travel more than 2-3 weeks a year, which any family should do to keep their sanity. We have never regretted it for a second.

We spent the dreaded 90 min at the diamond resort in Orlando. Suckers. I also sense there was a microphone under the table. The sales person actually told me he had had a tragedy with his child. I didn't buy into that. We told them we were not happy with interval international, we used them once or twice. Once he realized that he realized he was not going to sell. We were adamant. Got our money. Also got a 2 night stay in the future with MILLIONS of restrictions. It makes it almost impossible to use once all the fine print is read. I just want to use it for principle.
Anyway Marriott is a much better deal, with more diversity, etc. You can stay in their hotels or timeshares...
 3rd of Mar, 2010 by   tjmm01 +3 Votes
Well I AM a timeshare owner at DRI Maui and I totally got SCREWED! I originally purchased an every other week from Sunterra - Two years ago while staying at my home resort on Maui they wanted me to come for the sales pitch - which I did because I wanted to learn how to sell my timeshare. I am not a gullible person but man the sales rep was good. He had me convinced that converting my week to points would allow me to vacation every year in Maui and I bought it hook line and sinker! Man did I get screwed!! The resort is beautiful however I pay thousands of dollars a year on club fees and now will NEVER have enough points to vacation in Maui every year - maybe if I wait until 60 days prior to when I want to vacation I might have enough for every other year - sound familiar? That was where I started when I had my every other year week and I only had to pay the dues every other year. Now I have to pay the dues every year and can not even use my points to go there. Talk about SCAM!! They have NO resale program or buyback. They do NOT help owners connect with other owners wishing to sell their points. They claim to be all about customer service but that is the biggest lie ever. The onsite staff (outside of sales) is typically great. However, DRI as a company is horrific! STAY FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY from owning through them for timeshare. My family has owned timeshare for over 30 years now and I am the ONLY sucker because I went through DRI. Timeshare ownership is awesome - just NOT through them. Please head all these warnings.
 5th of Mar, 2010 by   Shavaun -4 Votes
I just want to say that all the negative comments are not true and I am not a plant, nor do I work for any timeshare company. I have been an owner for since 2002 and my experience with Sunterra and DRI has been wonderful. I have been able to stay at the resorts of my choice even if I booked 60 days out from my trip. I think most of you are lying and should only speak on what you really know and have experienced. Some of you probably never even been at any of the DRI resorts and are just chiming in on what other people a saying. The properties at all of the DRI locations where I have stayed have been nice. As far as vacation I get at least 4 to 5 a year, sometimes I give points to relatives.

Last year I stayed in Vegas for 2 weeks, I had two two bedroom units; I took 10 family members to Orlando, stayed at Grand Beach for one week and had to two three bedroom units. My family and friends stayed at Powhattan in Williamsburg in the new units for a week at Christmas; again I had three two bedroom units.

When I had a problem with my maintenance fee I call the office and got the matter straighten out in a matter of minutes.

I went to a presentation for RCI and it takes hundreds of thousands of points in order to take a vacation with them.

I always say self experience is the best, don't rely on what you are reading here, if you are interested in timeshare, DRI works for me.

I will agree about the maintenance fee being high.

T. Miller