logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (5 mins ago)
Skycare ehr
Misleading product ( electronic medical records )
2. (5 mins ago)
Tagged Team Annual Lottery Promo 2011
Rita Collins, William Li, Dr. George Hu, Mr. Ro Many, Barrister Sok Hung
3. (13 mins ago)
University of Phoenix / Axia College / Apollo Group
Class Action Law Suit: Misuse of Title IV Funds and Accounting Practices: Unethical business practices : Scam and Fraud
4. (28 mins ago)
constant telemarketing

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

DeVry University Complaints & Reviews - Scam and rip off!

DeVry University Contacts & Informations

DeVry University

Posted:    Valerie

Scam and rip off!

DeVry
Phone: 886-338-7934
www.devry.edu
I was just finishing my 6th semester a DeVry, and getting ready to schedule for my 7th, when I was told one of the classes I needed would no longer be offered on campus because not enough students signed up for it, three I think. I talked to the dean of the degree I was pursing and he told me I could take the class on-line, and that online classes were easy to follow and even more well structured than their on-campus equivalents. I trusted what he said and went ahead and signed up for two online classes, one for data base programming and the other for signal processing.

The first week of class when I logged I found a link to an online book I was supposed to read, and read the assigned chapters for that week. I then looked at the lecture page, and to my surprise is was no more than 250 words long.

I tried emailing the professors of the respective classes to see if perhaps I was missing something or doing something wrong, but it wasn't until 2 weeks later that one emailed me back, and the other never did. After a week of not receiving a reply from either of the professors I decided to drop the class(makes it as if I never signed up for it) so that I would not be charged for it, at which point I was told I was too late, and that the class could only be dropped in the first week.

In short, DeVry Online classes are a complete ripoff. The professors in the on-campus are always well prepared and cover the material with a through lecture totaling 2-3 hours a week, but the lectures for online-classes are basically non-existent. The only learning materials I was given was a book to read and whatever comments my classmates made on the class forums. If I wanted to learn by reading a book, then I wouldn't pay $3500 to some university. I basically shelled out $3500 to have DeVry recommend two books for me to read. What a ripoff.

Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Sep, 2008 by   N Myers 0 Votes
Devry University is the the biggest scam and should not legally be able to operate. They cost me thousands of dollars for a useless piece of paper. 20 years latter and I am still paying . Thanks for nothing Devry.
 25th of Mar, 2009 by   Disco duck 0 Votes
Yes I completely agree, they try to cram as much as the can into 8 weeks with the new accelerated format "Which we all know is so new students don't get cold feet waiting for a new semester to start", I get tired of hearing the devry catch phrase of "Oh I don't know let's go ask some one". Only for this process to continue until you are fed up with dealing with the people. If they wouldn't lie about everything it wouldn't be so bad, but c'mon
 20th of Jun, 2009 by   DevryGraduate09sessionA 0 Votes
The online classes are a Joke and plus with the courses being only 8 weeks there just isn't enough time for the amount of work that is required to fulfill the requirements of the class. It was a big waste of time and money in the end I learned nothing. Only how to cram for a final and spit out a million papers. Ohh and read till my eyes bleed.
 20th of Jun, 2009 by   SuperVepr +1 Votes
I can't believe they are still operating. I knew a guy that got a degree there and no one would recognize it as real. Waste of cabbage.
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   DeVryLvr -1 Votes
When you take online classes, only those who are ready to take on the responsibility of doing more work and learning on their own can handle it. Just because school is online, doesn't mean it's going to be easy work. Online programs are for the independant, mature student who wants to take college seriously.
I find that you'll only ever find negative feedback about ANY college from the students who aren't willing to take any responsibility for their own actions and failure to succeed. I guarantee that each and every one of these complaints has an underlying story behind it where the student failed to follow certain guidelines set by the University.
It's unreal that people think high paying jobs are just going to come to them without having to do any work. Look at any student who went to college, whether online or at an actual campus who did the school work, passed their classes, paid their student loans, and has a job. Ask them if it was easy and how hard they had to work to get to where they are now.
Also, DeVry, whether it be a campus or online, has Career Services. Students who have graduated from DeVry found jobs in their field of study within 6 MONTHS of graduating making over $45, 000 a year with THE HELP of career services. This means you need to get off you lazy rear and do some work too. Job placement is NOT guaranteed here, they only offer assistance. So I suggest you quit complaining about how horrible your life is and how someone else did you so wrong DO SOMETHING to make it better. How about you take your life into your own hands for once instead of thinking someone else is going to do it for you.
 21st of Dec, 2009 by   Nick B. +2 Votes
As a former "Enrollment Adviser" for DeVry Online, I can assure you the degrees ARE a ripoff. They inflate their job placement and graduation rate stats in an attempt to get their hands on Federal student aid money. DO NOT ATTEMPT A DEGREE FROM DEVRY ONLINE. I was asked to lie to people every day I worked there.
 21st of Dec, 2009 by   Nick B. +2 Votes
DeVryLvr is clearly an employee. Those stats quoted about 95% of people finding jobs within 6 months is a LIE. That also includes the +80% that were ALREADY working in those fields to begin with. As many people taking online classes are continuing education or degree completion students already in the work force, this is an easy scam for them to run.
 16th of Jan, 2010 by   B1tPhr34k 0 Votes
I was just notified that none of the classes remaining on my degree plan are avaialble inclass, or online, because the degree plan changed. THANKS FOR TELLING ME. and since when does a school change its degree plan without notification and whithout continueing to offer those classes to the remaining students with a signed degree plan .

Then I fing out that there is an extra $260 charge on my account because of some insurance plan they claim I am required to have if I don't have proof of active insurange. BS. There is no way I don't already pay enough money to this over priced, inconvient excuse for a school, not to have them trying to put their hand back in my pocket while screwing me out of 8 more weeks of my life and another 1500 dollards because they want to change the classes on my degree plan.

I am very dissappointed. I am a 3.94 GPA student and a member of an accademic honor society, I am already planning for graduate school and I will very likley NOT be attending DeVry's graduate program because of all this. There are cheaper - and more prestigiously accredited alternatives that will happily take me, my gpa, my honor society, my grants and my student loans. As a for profit institution DeVry university doesn't seem to focus on the priorities of customer service and doing what they are paid to do.
 5th of Feb, 2010 by   RayGeorge409 0 Votes
I am a current Student at DeVry (online). I am going to soon be an ex student shortly. This due to a few facts of the school never made it known up front as to their policy for being put on Academic Dismissal. I had some problems in one of my courses, after my GPA was increased from a 2.7 up to over a 2.9, I recieved an email letting me know that since I could not finish a class in time I was now on Academic Probation. At the end of that semester a lot of the students were in for a rude surrprise, the server was attacked, on the last two days of finals we could not log in. Now I am being threatened with Academic Dismissal for not finishing a class / failing it.
It is very vauge in the Student Handbook, which was also like pulling teeth to get a hold of through a maze of web pages on their site. There should be a direct link to it for current students and those interested. I was told in the beginning that DeVry had a very high graduation rate and job placement. Well after doing my federal financial forms, I was so kindly reinformed that DeVry's graduation rate is a whopping 34%, their retention rate is just as bad at 43%. This was information given to me directly from the federal gov financial website.

Trying to talk to the Academic Advisors is sometimes like being talked down to. They have been known to get very acusatory in their manner of talking to students. Stay away from DeVry.
 14th of Feb, 2010 by   flowers4 -1 Votes
I am a current online student at Devry, finishing up my 5th session which is 2 1/2 semesters. I have attended 2 universities (both well respected, but one very well respected) and 2 community colleges due to relocations. I earned my associate degree in the traditional classroom, and 3/4 of my bachelor degree in the traditional classroom. I am completing my bachelor degree at Devry Online and I have just one year left. I have to say that online learning is different than in class. You get out of it what you put into it.

In all of my classes at Devry, there have been the weekly 1 hour "iConnect Live" lectures given by an instructor where you can listen live or listen to the recording afterwards. There is the lecture, which I agree with you, can be short depending on the instructor. The reading requirements of the text is just as much as in any class I have taken in a classroom environment. Then there are the discussion boards. In every class, every week, you are required to post at least 3 posts on 3 different days, the first day on or before Wednesday. For full credit, most of my instructors require more than 3 posts and urge us to start posting on Monday or Tuesday. They also require high quality postings in which you have researched a topic and summarized and discussed. Most of my instructors have required some APA citation in our posts just to make sure we are learning by researching. I admit that I have has 2 instructors that were lousy at keeping up high standards of learning through the discussion boards, but again it is up to the student to put in the class what they want to get out of it. If you can get by with doing minimal, you'll get minimal education. That's why you should go beyond the bare minimum. Also, most of my classes have weekly iLabs where we complete an assignment. There is also Homework ES and Quizzes, which are both basically a weekly timed quiz consisting of multiple choice and short answer. In order to be able to answer the questions correctly, you will need to have learned something. I, personally, learn the most in doing my research in order to answer questions and comment on the topics in the Discussion boards.

If you don't want to get "ripped off" then read the handbook and rules. You should have known that about dropping after week 1, I certainly did. All of my advisers made sure I knew that when I registered for class. You sound like you did not read everything you should have when you signed up for online courses.

And for the person who said they were dismissed because the server went down last semester during the finals: They extended the deadline for the final exams by at least a couple of days, if not a week. Did you even check your email or read their bulletins or announcements?

Online classes require a lot of reading, that is a big DUH. If you can't handle it, stick to traditional classroom learning. Some people can't do online learning, some people can. You people who post negative comments obviously can't handle it.
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   Keith_J_Kocher 0 Votes
I was going to go to DeVry, as the person who contacted me was friendly. He made DeVry sound like something I was wanting. He was a bit quick on the phone but I figured that he was just excited. I was handed off to the DeVry Student financial services, where she then emailed me the Federal Student Aid web site. (it was legit, checked it out before entering info).

After setting up a Federal Student Aid PIN number, I was then contacted by DeVry and they wanted to set me up with the classes for the field I was going to go in to, Network and Communications Management. I was then also told I would have a LOAN of 30k plus by the time I was finished with the class. I put the brakes on and explained, I was unemployed, 40 years old. and have nothing else to fall back on incase upon fininshing the classes DeVry can not assist in placing me in the field. At theat point I never heard of recieved an email on the discussed Government Grant Program the first guy eluded to, and the second person never mentioned. So I ignored the calls.

Well, today I got a call from the first guy I talked to and it was an angry call as to why I did not complete the process to go to DeVry. After a while he tried to make it look like I did not understand to get a Federal GRANT, you have to apply for a Federal backed student LOAN.

Problem: If you get a LOAN, and are approved for a LOAN, you no longer qualify for a GRANT for the same program, GRANTS are awarded PRIOR to going to school, NOT AFTER.

If this was the case, then everyone would have a LOAN and get a GRANT upon graduation.

I explained to him that at 40yrs old I was not about to put a 30k to 40k LOAN on my head.
He asked "So a grant is the only way you will go back to school?
I replied. "Yes, as I see no guarentee that I will have a job in the field I am trained for upon graduation."
I then realised he hung up on me after hearing I said Yes.

So DeVry in my opinion falls under the class of Schools that scam you to get a LOAN, while they get the money from using the Government as a loan shark.
 30th of Mar, 2010 by   Aoi 0 Votes
back in 2007 after I graduated High school I signed up for Devry online and fed a bunch of bull crap about how I wouldn't have to worry about team related projects since the field I was going for didnt involve team work. I was attending DeVry for a little over a year when I was put on a team project with a bunch of people that didnt do anything. I e-mailed my team members, the teacher, and never got a response (the project was due in 4 weeks and I didnt even know what it was about until a week before) but I wasnt alone, there was another member of my team that had no idea what was going on to and we both tried to talk to the teacher about it and never got a response back. In the end I we failed the project and I was going to be expelled for it so I dropped out. All in all, Devry online is a pathetic waste of time and money, I didnt learn anything about the field I was in, which was Game and Simulation Programming. and I was there for almost half the course, didnt learn a single thing about games or computers. Now Im stuck with a Sallie Mae Loan (which started out at 3500 and it jumped up to almost 5000 since I had to defer due to lack of a job) and another loan from some Student Accounting service I dont remember applying for and they sent that to the General Revenue Service...again, I was unable to pay any of it because I could not find a job. Finally got one and now I am forced to pay 231.69 at the end of each month for a year to the General revenue Service or they will garnish my wages.
 30th of Jun, 2010 by   mdgreen478 0 Votes
I cannot speak to online students because, so far, I've only taken on-campus classes [which, are really a blend of on-campus and online environments; thus, the name "blended" classes]. But I have also taken plenty of classes at regular "brick & mortar" colleges, with the Universities of Minnesota and North Dakota among them. I have to say--to my surprise--that DeVry's on-campus classes really do have about as much content to absorb as comparable engineering classes I have taken in the past.

With that being said, I have to agree with DeVryLvr's concept that people have to take responsibility for their education--regardless of their situations, i.e., people need to become autodidactic in their learning.
 10th of Jul, 2010 by   debbym1972 +1 Votes
test
 10th of Jul, 2010 by   debbym1972 0 Votes
All of the for profits schools have come under scrutiny by the school commission as well as the Obama adminstration. Many complaints have been filed against these companies espeically DeVry, ITT, UOP, Kaplan, Keiser and others.

It is is is one big sales pitch. You will be told that you can earn on average a million dollars more by completing your bachelors degree and that career services will find you a job within 6 months with a starting pay of at least $45, 000. This is total b.s. Recent information has come out and proven that a b.s. degree even from a recognized legitimate, brick and mortar school at best will yield around $300, 000 more in wages than someone with a h.s. diploma and that is adjusted over 40 years! And I repeat, this is from recognized legitimate, tradional and respected brick and mortar schools, not "fast food" service educators like DeVry. And there is no way that any school can guarantee anybody can find work within 6 months with a starting sl aary of $45, 000/ Most of the DeVry graduates I talk to are earning about half that and working at entry level jobs. Some, many are working at fast food places.

DeVry' used car salesmen also tell us that 97% of DeVry graduates find work via their career services department. They also state that DeVry's career services department is expanding while in fact it is pretty much public knowledge that all school have been reducing their career services department.

We are also told that DeVry instructors have "real world experience" that they actually are in the field and teach "application based" not "theory based" as most other schools. Again, total b.s.

My experience with DeVry was horrible. The admissions advisor came off like used car salesman, but I was naive enough to buy into her b.s. After all, I was turned down by a dozen other legitimate universities and DeVry was the only one that would accept me. They seemed like my last hope. The fact that no other school except DeVry would accept me should have been a clue that college was not for me.

I took classes online and occasionally attended a campus. There were none close to me. The online was a horror story. Half the time services were not available and we were supposed to log in 3 times per week to get credit. It was a major effort to get on and stay on 3 times per week.

When we complained, all we heard was that "we are experiencing some technical challenges. Please be patient."

When I called my success coach, I was told to "take responsibility." Ditto for my admissions advisor when I could reach her. Funny how she was no longer available after I enrolled and my student loan was approved. When they did get back to me, I was told that "our phones lines were down" or "was at a 3 day meeting." LOL! Does anything ever work at DeVry and will these guys ever run out of excuses???

Also interesting is that this same admissions advisor claimed to live in Orlando but was from Minnesota and graduated from a brick and mortar university in Minnesota back in the 1970's. Sounds like the same person who rebutted ahead of me.

By the way, if you haven't already figured this out, all of the so called "Happy DeVry Grads" that post how wonderful DeVry is are really DeVry employees, most likely admissions advisors who earn their livng by selling this junk.

Caveat Emptor!

1st of Sep, 2010 by   Sued Devry!!! 0 Votes
I sued and they tried to settle. I am trying to upload a copy of the settlement. This school is a fraud and they have been exposed. There is a class action being started send your information to rnbsinger75@yahoo.com make sure you have evidence of what you were told like emails. Go to help.devry.edu to print them.

Here is a copy of the settlement documents.
SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE

This Settlement Agreement and Release (the “Agreement”) is entered into between DeVry University, Inc. (“DeVry”), and Plaintiff

Incorporation of Recitals. The recitals set forth in the Background section above are incorporated in the body of this Agreement as if fully set forth herein.
2. Monetary Consideration. Upon the later of (a) receipt of this Agreement signed by all parties and (b) notice that Plaintiff has dismissed the Complaint with prejudice, DeVry shall forgive the outstanding balance on Plaintiff's account with DeVry and shall not seek payment of the outstanding balance on this account from Ellis; provided that if Plaintiff ever re-enrolls at DeVry or another institution owned or operated by DeVry Inc., the balance on his account resulting from Plaintiff's attendance at DeVry at any time prior to his execution of this Agreement shall become immediately due and payable.
3. As an element of, and in order to induce DeVry to enter into, this settlement, Plaintiff and his heirs, representatives and assigns, do hereby absolutely and unconditionally forever release, discharge and acquit DeVry and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, partners, members, stockholders, employees, agents, attorneys, successors and assigns, of and from any and all claims, demands, obligations, liabilities, indebtedness, breaches of contract, breaches of duty or any relationship, acts, omissions, misfeasance, malfeasance, cause or causes of action, debts, sums of money, accounts, compensation, contracts, controversies, promises, damages, costs, losses and expenses, of every type, kind, nature, description or character, and irrespective of how, why, or by reason of what facts, whether heretofore or now existing, of whatever kind or name, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, liquidated or unliquidated, arising from any time leading up to and including the date which this Agreement is signed by him; provided however, that Plaintiff does not release and expressly preserves the right to enforce his rights under this Agreement and to compel performance and satisfaction by DeVry of its obligations hereunder.
4. No Admission of Liability. The execution of this Agreement shall not be deemed or construed as an admission of liability by DeVry, and DeVry expressly denies liability of any nature whatsoever arising from or related to the subject of the Agreement.
5. Confidentiality; Public Statements. The parties agree that both the existence of the Agreement and the terms contained in this Agreement are confidential and shall not be disclosed to any third parties, except that the parties may disclose the foregoing (a) to the extent required by legal process, court order, or applicable law, rule or regulation, (b) to their respective attorneys, accountants, auditors or financial advisors, and boards of directors, and to governmental bodies to the extent necessary to comply with any applicable tax or financial reporting laws, rules or regulations, and (c) in the event of a breach to allow the non-breaching party to enforce his, her, or its rights under the Agreement in the courts in the Chicago metropolitan area. In the event of any inquiries by any third party concerning the status or resolution of the Complaint, no information shall be disclosed other than that such matters have been “resolved.”
6. Non-Disparagement. Plaintiff agrees to refrain from any communications with third parties, written or oral, that could reasonably be considered to constitute disparagement of DeVry.

7. Non-Cooperation and Non-Solicitation. Plaintiff agrees that he will not assist any attorneys or their clients in the presentation or prosecution of any disputes, differences, grievances, claims, charges, or complaints by any third party against DeVry, unless compelled by lawful subpoena or court order. Plaintiff further agrees that he will not solicit or encourage any third party to present or prosecute any disputes, differences, grievances, claims, charges, or complaints against DeVry.
8. Understanding of the Parties. (a) This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties and supercedes all prior agreements, agreements in principle, and written or oral communications with respect to the resolution of the Complaint. (b) This Agreement may not be modified, amended or terminated, except by a written agreement which is signed by each of the parties hereto. (c) Each party represents and warrants (i) that he or it has had the opportunity to obtain independent advice from counsel of its choosing in negotiations for and the execution of the Agreement, (ii) that he or it has read the Agreement or have had the same read to them by his or its counsel, and (iii) that he or it is fully aware of its contents and legal effect.
9. Authority. Each person executing this Agreement represents and warrants that such person is lawfully authorized and empowered to execute the same as an individual or on behalf of the entity on whose behalf such person is signing, and that upon such execution this Agreement will be binding on such entity without any further approval, ratification, or other action.
10. Binding on Successors and Assigns. Neither this Agreement nor any interest hereunder may be assigned by any party without the prior written consent of all other parties to this Agreement. This Agreement shall be binding upon the parties and their respective successors, permitted assigns, heirs, and executors notwithstanding any reorganization, merger, or consolidation of any party hereto.
11. Severability. The parties agree that, if any term or provision of this Agreement is found to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, then the invalid or unenforceable term or provision shall be severed so as to make the Agreement enforceable to the fullest extent permissible under applicable law.
12. Further Assurances. The parties agree to execute any additional documents to do all other acts reasonably required to effect the intent and purposes of this Agreement. 13. Applicable Law. This Agreement shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois, irrespective of its conflict of law rules.
14. Headings. The paragraph headings contained herein are for convenience only and are not intended to add or subtract from the text hereof.
15. No Third Party Beneficiaries. Nothing contained herein is intended to confer any rights on any person or entity other than the parties hereto. No third party beneficiary rights shall be conferred on any party by virtue of this Agreement or any term or provision hereof.
16. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in more than one counterpart, each of which shall be deemed to be an original and all of which, taken together, shall constitute one agreement binding on all parties.
17. Court Jurisdiction. The parties agree that in the event of a breach of this Agreement, the party seeking enforcement shall be entitled to specific performance in a court in the metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois and the prevailing party shall be entitled to an award of its costs and attorney fees in connection with such application. The parties submit to the jurisdiction of the courts in the metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois, to resolve any disputes arising from, or relating to, this Agreement.
18. Agreement as Evidence. Nothing in this Agreement shall prohibit a party from offering the Agreement as evidence in a legal, administrative, or quasi-judicial proceeding involving a claim released herein.

19. This Agreement shall be construed as a whole and not for or against any party.
20. Any notice desired or required to be given hereunder shall, unless otherwise specified, be sufficient if in writing and personally delivered or sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, as follows:

If to DeVry, to:
Laura Sitarski
DeVry Inc.
3005 Highland Parkway, 7th floor
Downers Grove, IL 60515-5799

or to such other address as the addressee may specify in a notice fully given to the sender as provided herein.
AGREED AND ACCEPTED.

Dated:

DEVRY UNIVERSITY, INC.

By: ____________________

Name: ____________________

Title: _____________________
 11th of Nov, 2010 by   Jamesss -1 Votes
I am attending Keller Graduate School and it is excellent. Your lawsuit appears to be another example of somebody seeing deep pockets of a big University and trying to cash in.
My daughter graduated from San Diego State University. It took her two years longer to finish because the University only offered the two final classes she needed once every two years. So where is the outrage against the public universities. Unlike you, I did not Sue the University. I could have, but I am not a gold digger nor ego-centric. Why don't you just buck-up and finish your degree like an adult. Winners never quit and quitters never win.
 18th of Nov, 2010 by   RUmagic 0 Votes
@ SuedDeVry,
Looking at the proposed settlement, it does not indicate what the purpose of the lawsuit is: unfair billing practices, failure to withdraw students from class, etc. That an organization wants to settle is not uncommon; if your intent is to simply have your money refunded, I assume DeVry, if you are justified in your claim, prefers to spare the negative press. I hope you have not accepted this settlement, as posting the terms on several websites (I searched your e-mail) has violated the confidentiality provision.
@ every other post,
I'm currently an admissions advisor for DeVry. I call and speak to potential students every day and it's an incredible challenge. In fact, more than half the individuals I talk to believe that a job as a medical assistant/paralegal paying minimum wage will suffice to feed their three children. I certainly have no intention of misleading students and take offense at the generalized comments (especially with their lack of specific, factual information). For those students that need online education - because of work, family obligations, disabilities, etc - DeVry's online program is probably the best. Sure, there are going to be some bad eggs (dishonest advisors, bad professors), but that's not unique to DeVry.
Of all the TV specials that have aired in the past six months, DeVry was mentioned in only the most recent. I believe it was because of one Student Finance advisor, but am not sure. Overall, DeVry has the highest graduation rate of first time, full-time students when it comes to the private sector.
Also, touching on quality of education/professors, anyone that's attended a "traditional" state/private university will attest to the lack of contact most tenured professors have with their students. Most discussions are led by TA's and professors' office hours are often just one day a week for an hour or two. I agree that the "quality" of one's education comes primarily from the amount of effort they put into it.
DeVry is certainly not for everyone; however, no one can deny the progression of online education into "traditional" colleges/universities. Many state and community colleges have already integrated online options into their programs. Northwestern University's graduate school is developing online learning options. Do some research, check the facts, and make an educated decision about your education. You're the one who's going to have to pay for it.

PS: The concept that people refuse to takes loans for their education baffles me. Why should ANYONE, other than veterans of the armed forces, be entitled to an education at the expense of the taxpayer?
 21st of Nov, 2010 by   Jazzy +1 Votes
Devry University "Academic Counselors" are just sales people are paid a commission on how many classes you enroll in. So Academic counselors regularly hassle you for your credit card number so that then can sign you for a class you happen to need, that only has 1 seat left, and will not be offered for another year. These claims turn out to be just BS.

In a normal/real college, an academic counselor role is one that actually tries to help students reach their educational goals. They are always there when you need them, they give free advice, and you never hassle you for your credit card number.

And to all those who say that Devry is great college because you can finish faster...
What good is a degree you can earn in a month when its not recognized outside of McDonalds and Walmart cashier level employment?
 16th of Dec, 2010 by   ShareholdersFoundation 0 Votes
DeVry Inc. Former Student Investigation

An investigation on behalf of former and current students of DeVry Inc., including its Advanced Academics, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, and Ross University Schools of Medicine, was announced in connection with the report by the Government Accountability Office with the title "For-Profit Colleges: Undercover Testing Finds Colleges

Encouraged Fraud in Deceptive and Questionable Marketing Practices."

If you are a former or current student of DeVry Inc., including its Advanced Academics, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, and Ross University Schools of Medicine, who experienced any fraud, wrongdoing, deceptive and questionable marketing practices, or had any school loan issues, , or if you have information relating to the investigation including also former employees or whistleblowers, you have options and you should contact the Shareholders Foundation, Inc by email mail@shareholdersfoundation.com or call +1(858) 779 - 1554

DeVry Inc. is a provider of educational services and the parent organization of Advanced Academics, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College and Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, and Ross University.
DeVry Inc. faces a lawsuit on behalf of purchasers of the common stock of DeVry Inc. (NYSE:DV) between October 25, 2007 and August 13, 2010 against DeVry Inc. for allegedly violating Federal Securities Laws. According to this complaint filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois the plaintiff alleges that DeVry Inc. violated the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 by issuing between October 25, 2007 and August 13, 2010 materially false and misleading statements regarding DeVry’s business and financial results. The lawsuit followed a report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office with the title “Undercover Testing Finds Colleges Encouraged Fraud and Engaged in Deceptive and Questionable Marketing Practices” which detailed undercover investigations into 15 for-profit schools that uncovered misconduct by school staff.

On August 4, 2010, the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee conducted a hearing on for-profit education firms, where Government Accountability Office representative, George Kutz, presented the findings of report GAO-10-948T, "For-Profit Colleges: Undercover Testing Finds Colleges Encouraged Fraud in Deceptive and Questionable Marketing Practices." The report detailed undercover investigations into 15 for-profit schools that uncovered misconduct by school staff. According to this GAO study, the college personnel at schools owned by Education Management Corp. may have encouraged applicants to falsify their financial aid forms to qualify for federal aid and pressured applicants to sign a contract for enrollment prior to allowing them to speak to a financial advisor.

According to the investigation by a law firm former and current students of DeVry Inc., including its Advanced Academics, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, and Ross University Schools of Medicine may have material information concerning those allegations and may be eligible to file a complaint for allegedly misleading students.

Also whistleblowers may according to the law firm be able to assist or file their own complaint. Under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act signed into law in July the SEC can award between 10 percent and 30 percent of any monetary sanctions of more than $1 million to whistleblowers who provide “original information” leading to a successful SEC enforcement, so the law firm. Whistleblowers may remain completely anonymous and work with the SEC through an attorney. Under the new law, so the investigation, whistleblowers are also granted expanded rights and protections against employer retaliation when disclosing information of corporate wrongdoing to the SEC.

Recently the Attorney General of Florida Bill McCollum launched an investigation into some for-profit education companies. On October 19, 2010, the Wall Street Journal reported that Florida Attorney General's office has launched an investigation into five for-profit colleges, including four publicly traded schools, seeking information on potential misrepresentations in financial aid, recruitment and other areas. The state is reportedly looking into allegations at Washington Post Co.'s (WPO) Kaplan Inc.--including its Kaplan University, Kaplan Educational Centers and Kaplan College units--and at Education Management Corp.'s (EDMC) Argosy University, Apollo Group Inc.'s (APOL) University of Phoenix; Corinthian Colleges Inc.'s (COCO) Everest College and privately held MedVance Institute.

Those who are former or current students of DeVry Inc., including its Advanced Academics, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, and Ross University Schools of Medicine, who experienced any fraud, wrongdoing, deceptive and questionable marketing practices, or had any school loan issues, , or those who have information relating to the investigation including also former employees or whistleblowers, have options and should contact the Shareholders Foundation.

Train Fares Increase for 2013