logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
www.mlssupport.com
The rep didn’t provide any news about my house
2. (0 mins ago)
Ge Adora
Dishwasher won't clean dishes
3. (1 mins ago)
johnbrown4x4.com
Don’t buy from them – no documents and no help
4. (11 mins ago)
seal test milk
bad
5. (13 mins ago)
GE Profile convection/gas double oven
plastic stove knobs melting

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Devry and Chamberlain, St. Louis, Missouri Complaints & Reviews - Same school, same complaints

Devry and Chamberlain Contacts & Informations

Devry and Chamberlain

Posted:    MAD AS HECK

Same school, same complaints

Devry and Chamberlain
St. Louis, Missouri
Devry ownes Chamberlain School of Nursing. I wish I'd known what I know today, which is that they are the same school and that they both have a bad reputation for treating their students like dirt. They are only concerned with making a profit by enrolling as many students as they can, but they have horrible customer service, are unprofessional, and the departments do not communicate among each other. Because of the lack of communication, they will mess up your financial aid and other important resouces needed to pursue an education and heaven forbid you attempt to leave, they will try to strong arm you by lying to you in your face and then messing up your records so it appears you owe money that you don't. What that does is make you come out of pocket to them as well as not be able to send a transcript to another school until that balance is paid off. In addition to that, their billing department is called a collections department and they will not work with you on payments. While you try to make unreasonable payments (as a college student), they still will not release your transcript so you have no ability to attend college unless you go back to them and continue being screwed. NEVER ATTEND DEVRY OR CHAMBERLAIN COLLEGE OF NURSING. For those who don't know, contact your local Board of Education and file a complain with the Attorney General's office. Enough people doing something about this behavior will get a response and if enough message boards go up, less students will get trapped and used by this institution.
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jun, 2009 by   syw +3 Votes
They are doing that to me right now. They say I owe almost $4400 even though I have print outs of 0 balance from the brginning of my last class. They are now holding my transcripts hostage.
 26th of Jun, 2009 by   Brow beaten by bureaucracy +3 Votes
Well until last week, I had been happy with Chamberlain/Devry. I have been enrolled in their online RN to BSN program since last September, and I actually think the student finance has been good. My problem is that I accidentally missed the deadline for one of my (Devry) final exams. I was confused about the deadline date, and when I tried to take it, it was already closed. As a result, I failed the class, which until that I had been passing; I got 100% on the mid-term. I immediately contacted the instructor and asked her if I could still take the exam. In a word, the reply was 'NO.' I then contacted the academic advising team, explained that this was a simple oversight, not a deliberate act of negligence, and they put in a request to 'Faculty Management' to allow me to take the exam; they (Faculty Management) also turned me down. This means I will have to retake the class, spend more money, and it drastically affects my GPA, which was about 3.8 prior to this. Of course, there is no appeals process, and 'Faculty Management has the final say.' Of course, one does not know who 'Faculty Managment' is, nor does the student have any way to contact them directly. This to me is an outrage and complete disregard for the student, who is paying for their salaries! This is people's lives their screwing with! I fail to see how letting me take the exam is any skin off their backs, but it is plenty off of mine!
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   Brow beaten by bureaucracy +1 Votes
Well they came through after all; I was granted an extension on my final exam, and I passed the class.
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   MirelaB +3 Votes
Got an even worse problem with them, they played games with me and my financial aid for a year, now I owe somewhere around $10, 000 to them, and of course they wont let me go back to finish, they won't give me a transcript. My monthly payment they have set me up for is $1030 a month, which I told them that I do not even make that much a month. The dean told me that I would benefit from some counseling, and that I can NOT afford them. Never had a problem with any school before. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General's office today.
If anyone else would like to get the info together and try to go against them as a group please E-mail me: MirelaB321@aol.com
They treat the students like dirt, are very unprofessional and need to be stopped.
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by   atakar +2 Votes
I have had the same problem with DeVry as what is listed here. It started when they set my finance plan monthly payment too low which caused me to quickly fall behind and owe them a large chunk of money. Instead of adjusting my payment total they told me to go get a private loan to use to counter the mounting costs for their education. This was probably the worst thing I could have done but desiring to continue my education I got a private loan and paid off my balance with them and had enough to pay the next session off as well. Well that was the plan until one of their brilliant minds figured out my CoA wrong (Cost of attendance). The entire loan I had from Sallie Mae (private) was sent back to the lender and they left me a balance with their company (even though they had the money to pay it). By then the private loan industry went into the tank and I was unable to get another one. So now I was left with an enormous debt with DeVry and no means to pay it. I turned them into the Better Business Bureau of Illinois which was an utter joke because they did nothing but offer to arbitrate it (for a fee of course). So now I am in the hole with DeVry, can't get a loan, the BBB was useless, and out of principle I just flat out refused to pay DeVry. They mismanaged my financial aid, set up a payment plan that didn't work and threatened to freeze me, and when they got the aid they didn't figure out CoA properly and left me in debt with their company. It has since gone to a collection company and the best part is they are still holding my transcripts hostage even though they farmed out their self-generated debt to a collection company. Stay AWAY from DeVry if you know better, I have been to other online schools who did not remotely have these sort of business practices... They are a disgrace and I wish some agency would shut them down or make them transparent to their student body.
 22nd of Mar, 2011 by   SHOWCHIC +2 Votes
BEWARE... My best advice is DO NOT TAKE Chamberlain or Devry on line courses unless you are a glutten for stress, frustration and have money to burn... I wish I had researched further before attending Chamberlain. They made everything so simple to sign up and worked with my employer scholarships, evern retrieved my transcripts from my previous college. They cost over $500 a credit Hour / each class semester ( 8 weeks long) avergaes 4 credit hours and I am now told this will go up to almost $600 credit hour in July. PLEASE shop around Ohio Weslyan is a litle high but not as high as Chamberlain/Devry and are well worth the investment. Everyone I have talked to has been extremely pleased. Chamberlain was so customer friendly UNTIL I signed the dotted line. I have incured all these hidden costs that my scholarship is not paying for. I have an excellent scholarship through my employer and STILL I have paid over $10, 000 out of pocket and only barely through the first year. Hidden costs acrue every semester. I signed a study plan January 2010 and was told that this was a binding contract. My fees would not go up once I signed. NOW, I am told credit hours will go up by almost $60 (That is $240 for an average 4 credit hour class) AND that this is in addition to my current plan of study. So... it is a binding contract for me but./... not for Chamberlain. So they are not my financial advisors they are Chamberlains financial advisors making them extremeyl wealthy people. Every 8 week semester I have to call and work out the confusion with my billing statement seemingly a different person everytime digging in my personal infromation. I constantly REMIND their billing department (whom Chamberlain calls my financial advisor) not to add late fees because my contract / scholarship through work states that they get paid once class ends and my grade for that class is submitted and this was agreed upon. In addition they sign you up for multiple future classes at a time and expect payment BEFORE you even take the class. Your personal private information is in the hands of a minimum of as many as 10 academic advisors and 10 financial advisors at any given time with their names constantly changing due to heavy turnover in their staff. Beware. I wish I had done more research. It is all over the net complainst about Chamberlain / Devry.
My next step was to file with better business bureau but found others have had the same luck as you and they do not react to comlaints.
 2nd of May, 2011 by   RN-BC +2 Votes
I too went though the RN to BSN program. I dropped the Statistics class the first week as it was not geared toward nurses and was worse than the ones offered at the 4 year universities in Portland, Oregon. I was initially told I could by the advisor, who also shared she had to take the DeVry stat class 3 times before passing. I have a very good GPA and told her I did not want to mess with my GPA. I then got a bill for the class. We complained and reached an agreement of being able to drop the class, or so I thought. WhenI called for my transcript for ANCC acreditation credits, I was told my account was on hold. I would get an e-mail of who to contact and the nature of the problem, as I was at work and need to follow up the next day. I never recieved the e-mail. No surprise!!! I would really not recommend this school. Go to another one with less issues and complaints. I have heard that DeVry has been investigated before. I wish I had known. I spent a lot of money and nothing to show for it!!
 5th of Jun, 2011 by   P ZABEL 0 Votes
I have been a student at Chamberlain for one year now. I have had no problems with them. I find the professors to be fair and they all have impressive teaching resumes. Many of them also teach at other well known and respected universities. I get bored very easily with college classes and usually feel like they are more of a high school level than a college level. Chamberlain classes, I feel, are definitely college level classes.

In defense of the school, they post the rubric and course requirements and dates. The dates of tests or papers are clearly made known and from my experience, they are even spoken about in the discussion and assignments. It would be difficult to miss the date of the test or paper unless you just did not read the assignment or syllabus. They even say, that absolutely no late submissions will be accepted, however, my professor was kind enough to allow me to late submit a paper when I had to go out of town for family business.

I absolutely love the online classes because I can work at my leisure around my work schedule. The course work is not unreasonable. I feel like the courses are geared to adult learners, but as I mentioned above, that does not mean they are "bunny" classes.

The BBB does not arbitrate complaints. They are simply a service to the public to allow complaints to be filed. If you read Chamberlain's record with the Better Business Bureau, you will find they only have two complaints. They were resolved. The BBB also notes if a business of comparable size has the same or more complaints and Chamberlain does not.

It is not true that Chamberlain expects payment before classes are taken. I am not eligible for scholarships or grants and am paying out of pocket. They are kind enough to break the amount down into workable payments. These payments do have a due date each month, which could be what one person is talking about when they said the amount is due before class. Would you get a new car and expect to drive it without making a payment? Lets be fair here.

There are always two sides to every story and then the truth. I urge anyone who is considering Chamberlain, to speak with alumni. People are more likely to complain than to post something good about a business. For every complaint listed here, there are more than likely 10 times that number in satisfied students of which I am one of them.
 5th of Jun, 2011 by   P ZABEL 0 Votes
Addendum to above comment: BBB provides volunteers to arbitrate complaints. Please access the following website for more information http://www.la.bbb.org/ArbitrationBindingRules.aspx
 21st of Aug, 2011 by   T D Wilson 0 Votes
I also have been a student at Chamberlain School of Nursing for one year. I am a graduate student working on the Executive Tract MSN. This is the second graduate school I have attended and by far, this is the fairest school I have attended. I can also buy my books from them through their bookstore. The books are either the same or cheaper from any other place I have purchased textbooks. The class I have now, does not require a textbook. The payment schedule is manageable as they allow payments and allow one to continue with the classes as scheduled. Everyone from the student advisers, financial office and professors have been excellent to work with. I am maintaining a 4.o average and enjoy the interactions, information from the class and professors, in a non-aggressive environment. I am looking forward to continuing and finishing this step of my education at Chamberlain School of Nursing while fulfilling my responsibilities as RN, BSN at the hospital.

FYI, Chamberlain School of Nursing was a successful, private school of nursing for many years. the quality of education they provide has not been tainted because of their association with Devry, as some imply. Devry is successful in their own right and the business classes I have taken for my degree tract, have been nothing but professional, educational and respectful. I would recommend, if you are a self starter and have initiative, The Devry and Chamberlain College of Nursing are schools you can succeed at.
 11th of Oct, 2011 by   Nurse-type 0 Votes
This is a great school. I never had any problems, and graduated just fine. I am currently working in my field, and unlike some of my friends who attended a subpar nursing school, I passed my NCLEX exam the first time! The must've done something right.
 24th of Jul, 2012 by   ctersi01 0 Votes
I am finishing MY MSN through Chamberlain. I have 4 classes left, and I have had no problems whatsoever. The admission team actually calls me once a semester to check in and see if I need anything. I did my LPN at a community college, my RN/BSN at a state university, my previous BA online at a private school, and now this. I find Chamberlain to be completely professional and fair. If you miss a deadline, it's your fault-plain and simple. Get over it; we all make mistakes, but you can't blame the school for that. They have made it very clear from day one when everything is due.
I'm also teaching LPN students at a small technical school in the Loop (Chicago) so I see things from both perspectives (student and teacher). Online is not for everyone; you need to be self-motivated or you won't make it. Some people are better suited going to class.
 13th of Oct, 2012 by   FlimFlamedToo +1 Votes
Is anyone willing to reach out to me, regarding this matter (former, no matter how long ago or present student, or even recently graduated) ?
I'm presently considering my options in addressing this same situation (legal recourse). Thank you.

demoking100@hotmail.com
 15th of Oct, 2012 by   svetlanaru 0 Votes
Hi everyone! I am thinking of starting the nursing program at the Chamberlain (Miramar campus) .
Would really appreciate an opinion about this school.
Thanks.
 10th of Dec, 2012 by   FraudAgent +2 Votes
This is incredible. I am helping a student try to straighten out her fiancial records with Devry/Chamberlain. I am a CPA and it appears Devry is defrauding her our of literally $12, 000 and she just started in the fall of 2012. Furthermore, the school charged her tuition while she was off with a broken back. I suggest absolutely no one give them authorization to automatically withdraw tuition from their credit card or bank account.
 4th of Mar, 2013 by   CCNthumbsdown 0 Votes
I would not recommend CCN to anyone. This educational institution is a joke. I believe the financial department is not handling student finances in an orderly fashion, and I truly wonder if everything they post on the student portal is true. I can't track where all of my student loans disbursed, where the "refund" checks went, and why a balance continues to appear after a couple of days of a zero balance. The teams do not work together, they don't have a clue what is going on with your account, and lastly, will not let you speak with anyone of authority. I am looking into further legal action related to harrassement, fraud, and mispresentation. Food for thought, the PASS option is not an option to help the student, CCN will still get their money even after a posting and approval of this option. Best advice, don't go to CCN/DeVry. Choose a reputable local university to pursue your nursing degree. My BSN that I just received from CCN has not taught me a darn thing, except how to write an APA formatted report, that all instructors do not even know what is right or wrong.
 25th of May, 2013 by   Andrea_RN_BSN 0 Votes
Before I write this, let me say that I am NOT an easy person to please. I can find anything to complain about. With that being said, I have attended Chamberlain for my RN, BSN and now my MSN. Aside from a few little bumps in the road, which were fixed to my satisfaction and in a timely manner, I have really enjoyed my experience. I wouldn't have continued to go here for all 3 degrees if not. It has always been made VERY clear what is expected of the students and reminders are always sent about when things are due. I have only ever had a couple issue with teachers and when I did, I brought this to the school's attention and they reviewed the situation and "ruled" accordingly. I have read some of the above statements and I find that people are complaining about things that they may not know about. If you know how to use your student portal, you can very easily track your finances, bill by bill, refund by refund, etc. And if you are complaining about the way they handled you not turning in an assignment or test on time, they make it VERY clear about this. Chamberlain is pretty cut and dry with policies, and remind you each session about these in your syllabus. I have missed turning in one assignment because I forgot about it and lost points but that was no one's fault but my own.

Like someone else said, online classes aren't for everyone. They require an additional level of responsibility that in-class courses may not. As for me, I will continue my third degree with Chamberlain.
 12th of Aug, 2013 by   cre8t!ve 0 Votes
All I can say is that its sad when you physically see students at CCN taking tests as a group. Would you trust your family member to this style of integrity by a nurse?
 18th of Oct, 2013 by   KayKay92 0 Votes
Horrible! Am in second term at CCN, getting good grades in classes I attend on campus. Have one online English course that has been plagued by tech problems, assignments done but not uploaded to instructor type of things. Can still see them in my Dropbox online. As a result, grade in this class not good. Sent email to instructor asking her why she isn't grading my work and got no reply.

This week got email that not only are they dropping me from this class before end of term, they are bouncing me from the entire nursing program because according to them I have not been " attending" the online class (again, my work is sitting in their system ungraded to this very day). This violates their own handbook as there was no warning, just an automatic withdrawal despite high grades in other classes. Advising Department is no help at all trying to get this straightened out.

I will appeal this but quite honestly I really don't care if I go back if this is how they do business. My mom works for local television station in Chicago and has talked to their consumer reporter about this as it appears to be some sort of scam. They are investigating it now. Another girl from one of my classes last term just posted on her Facebook that they kicked her out this week too for unsatisfactory attendance for same online class despite having done all assignments which like mine are still sitting ungraded in the course Dropbox. Beware of Chamberlain, they really do screw their students over!
 9th of Feb, 2014 by   Claudia Q. 0 Votes
I'm a current Chamberlain student graduating this April. I have been with Chamberlain for a whole year now. I had very mild problems with customer service, and I would say they were the kind of problems that I would have with any schools. Only one of their customer service people was rude to me, but all of the others were nothing but wonderful. I think every school have a couple of people who are rude...Overall, I strongly recommend this school. My experience has been very positive. The teachers are wonderful and the school website functions properly. It is very easy to use it. I'm learning things on a very fast pace. I took some of the classes from DeVry, and it was harder than University of Phoenix, but I still liked it better. When comparing online schools, I think Chamberlain and DeVry are the best, but they are very expensive. I chose Chamberlain because I graduated with my associate 20 years ago, and they accepted all of my classes, so I didn't have to retake anything. Anyway, I thought I would give them a positive input. They are a wonderful school, and deserve that. I'm hoping to get my certificate or diploma on time, since I'm applying to graduate school. That is the only thing that worries me. They took a little longer than my other schools to send the transcripts, but once I complained they sent it right away. I'm also applying yo their masters program. For my initial admission, I worked with Candace. She was amazing. I strongly recommend her. Good luck choosing a school.

FBI Mortgage Fraud Crackdown