logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
CROYDON DENTAL
The rep was rude and refused to make the appointment
2. (26 mins ago)
West Coast Metal Buildings INC.
Poor quality construction
5. (47 mins ago)
Camlounge
Impossible to delete my account

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    anonymous pennsylvanian

Ripoff company

Davison
Pennsylvania
If you are smart, you will steer clear of Davison Invention, located in RIDC Park in the Pittsburgh area.

I briefly dated one of their salespeople and he himself told me the company was a complete ripoff. [And why would an invention company need salespeople? That in itself should be a big red flag.]

All that Davison does to get your invention in front of major retailers is this: they send an email to the company (Target, Walmart, etc.). That's it.

There's NO follow-up, NO visits to the retailer, NO other effort put forth other than sending an email (which in all likelihood is simply deleted.)

If the retailer doesn't respond (they most likely won't), the inventor is out his or her money they paid Davison.

Think about it: in 2008, Davison paid a settlement of $10.7 million to the federal government to address claims that they were ripping off inventors.

I know nothing about how to get an invention to market, but knowing what I know about Davison, I wouldn't give them a dime of my money for any reason whatsoever. Avoid Davison like the plague!
Comments United States Job & Career
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Jun, 2010 by   gipper 0 Votes
Yes I had been working with Davison with my invention and they want me to sign a contract and I can pay abit at a time of 9, 995.00 for my idea to market. They say I can take my time paying for my idea to become real. I have already paid 685 for the RD and they didn't tell me how much more I would have to pay down the road. Daniel K is a good salesman but he doesn't have me. I am not signing anything with them! I have put a stop to all this, even though they keep calling me.
Kimberly
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   Hegatha 0 Votes
I have been talking to Michael H.And I agree with everything said about them so far.I have had no promises of any kind, and I also have no proof that anybody from the contact organization is even in correspondance with Davison.Do you know if they do indeed have this fancy company that can make doodads?
Jacques.
 22nd of Aug, 2010 by   JustJenny7 0 Votes
I have been ripped off over $10, 000 by Davison. What good are organisations like the FTC when these scumbags are allowed to carry on business as usual? Yes, they were taken to court and ordered to pay. So what? Nothing changed. Davison continue with their dirty work to this day and their dirty workers should be held accountable too.
Jenny.
 8th of May, 2011 by   Youung Brown 0 Votes
Wow this question is for jenny and that is did u receive a [proto type] from the invention that you came up with?
 8th of May, 2011 by   JustJenny7 0 Votes
No, I didn't get a proto type. They sent me a picture of what they came up with on their computer, which anyone could have made in a few minutes. It was on an A4 peice of paper. A second peice of A4 paper had a picture of the packaging design. As soon as I opened the envelope and saw these 2 pathetic pages, I knew I had been scammed. A single page with the words "Sucked in, you have been scammed", couldn't have made it more obvious. There was nothing in the way of a description of materials or specifications. It was like they didn't even try to make the images appear professional.
They requested that I sign these kindergarten images, indicating my agreement with the designs, WITHOUT ALTERATION and return the pages to them.
I had been so stupid to hand them so much of my hard earned money, there was no way I was going to sign anything more to do with them. The next time they phoned me, I told them I wanted nothing more to do with the company and as all they had produced for my money at that point was these 2 diagrams, I wanted a refund. The man just laughed and said "you won't get a refund darlin'". I have put my request in writing to them and registered my complaint everywhere I can.
It's over, they're crooks and I have lost my money. All I can do now is warn others to stay away.
 8th of May, 2011 by   JustJenny7 0 Votes
Dont know what all the #039 is in my above post? Seems to be whenever I used an apostrophie?
 1st of Jun, 2011 by   talkrealtalk 0 Votes
OMG!! You guys are right on point, I to contacted them for info about my idea and things seem a little fishy so I started to google (good ole google) stories about them. They said I had to pay them 745.00 with 100.00 down and yes they said over time I can pay little by little.
I was dealing with Dan K also, so glad I read your stories because I was about to sign the contract.
Does anybody know a legit place that really helps people bring to life there ideas?
 15th of Jun, 2011 by   Jersey Dad 0 Votes
Wow i just got off the phone with them & thought it was legit, thankfully i decided to do a google search on them before I gave them a dime. So...is there anywhere a guy can get his Idea created?
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   JustJenny7 0 Votes
The strangest thing is, way back when my talks with Davison first started, I did google both the company AND the name of the conman, Steven Smith, who always phoned me and nothing negative came up??? I have no explanation for this. My husband did the same thing, with the same result. I don't know if Davison actually "sweeps" the internet periodically, but I can't think of any other way this could have happened.
After I received the dodgey documents and knew something was up, I googled again and there it all was. There is no way I could have overlooked all of that negativity so many months before. It was too late for me, I'd already given them my money, but I really really hope posts like this help to spread the word to people BEFORE they part with their savings.
If you have already signed a contract and parted with SOME of the money, do not lose a single cent more. Do not worry about breaching the contract, it's not legal anyway. Cancel your credit card and get a new one, so they can't take anymore payments out of it and if it has been less than 60 days since the last payment, you can get your credit card company to reverse the payment. In Australia that is, I don't know about in other countries.
This is why these con artists leave you alone for long intervals between payments, because they know that you will smell the rat eventually and they just want to make sure the money you have already paid was too long ago for your bank to reverse it. Once that payment is locked in their favour, they'll start calling you and buttering you up again for the next one.
Oh and if anyone else from Australia has been talking to Steven Smith, I bet he will tell you all about his dream to come down under and punch one of our sharks in the face. I wish he would, because I'd love the opportunity to show him how it's done ;)
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   Davison Chief Consumer Advocate -1 Votes
We would like to note the fact that in the past competitors have posted false and malicious complaints about us on the internet. Instead of choosing to compete by offering economical product design, development and packaging services they have chosen to confuse consumers with false information.

We don’t know if this person is a client or not because they did not include any contact information, not even an email address. We have found in the past that competitors hide behind “internet handles” rather than out in the open where their own conduct can be questioned.

We offer economic product design and development services that mirror how manufacturers and corporations design and develop their new inventions. You are most likely not going to find better pricing than what we can offer to research, design, build and package your idea. And, like most manufacturers, we acknowledge and insist that all clients acknowledge that most ideas are not going to be profitable but that inventing demands a positive attitude and that getting a new product onto the market requires a great amount of effort.

It comes down to the “spirit of inventing”. And it is downright stupid for the poster to imply our services are a scam when our services are completely transparent.

Since we don’t know who this anonymous blogger is, we’ll just provide an outline of the services we offer and the way that we offer them:

Step One: All customers must acknowledge the risks of invention development. In order to do so, each prospective customer is provided with an Affirmative Disclosure and an American Inventors Protection Act disclosure, which includes a description of all of our services and estimated fees. All potential clients must acknowledge that they received and read these disclosures before we accept any idea submission from them. Thereby, we ensure that the general public understands that inventing is time-consuming, costly and rarely results in profit. As a result, none of our clients reasonably can have the impression that inventing is easy and financially rewarding. Inventing can be educational, fun and exciting as long as everyone keeps in mind and tolerates the risks.

Step Two: Pre-Development Service Offer: After receipt of an invention idea we could offer to perform preliminary design research services on the project. This would include researching prior patents and other products that are for sale or have been for sale that are similar to the one submitted. Any service offer made to a potential client is made in writing. Therefore, consumers are assured of exactly what services they are purchasing and when they will receive them.

Step Three: Invention Prototype Services Offer: If the inventor does not have a professional quality sample for use, we can perform one or more services, including brainstorming new product designs, designing components, creating prototypes, building working models, virtual reality renderings, and complete product graphics and packaging. Again, any service offerings are outlined in a written contract. Therefore, clients are assured of exactly what services they are purchasing.

Step Four: Licensing Representation: Once projects are designed, built and packaged our team presents them to companies for licensing consideration.

The above is a basic outline of how our company does business. If you are ever contemplating any development services, we hope that you will consider us. We think that you will find our prices to be very reasonable for the services we offer.
For over 20 years, we have helped people prepare and present their ideas to corporations and manufacturers to see if they would be willing to license the product ideas. Our exclusive idea to product method is responsible for more products on the store shelves than any other competitor in this industry.
Quick facts about our company and our process
• We are based in Pittsburgh, PA and work with clients from around the world.
• We have been in business since 1989.
• Products that have gone through our inventing method have been sold at over 990 different brand name stores and online retailers such as Walmart, Target, Lowes, Bed Bath & Beyond, and QVC just to name a few.
• Our staff designs products for both individuals and corporate clients.
• We have over 250 staff members.
• Our staff has won numerous design awards for innovative product designs.
• We are a member of the Online Business Bureau.
• Our services include research, prototype development, and packaging design.
Thank you for your time.
 20th of Jun, 2011 by   Wsc310 0 Votes
Daaammmmmm... This is too funny and crazy at the same time... I'm only 18 and I came up with something got all happy contacted davidson spoke to this guy named Mark.. AMD everything he told me sounded to good to be real.. All I cared about really was making money of the damn thing.. But like I said "sounded" to good to be true... So I did some research on the place just today I got my contract in the mail... And everywhere I look you guys say they're crooks, Ripoffs, shit like that.. I read your guys stories and sounds exactly the same as mine lol fuc Davison they ain't getting nothing outta me... 800 dollars so they cam work on "my" idea.? No thanks this is where it ends... Thanks for your posts all of you.. I probably would have signed away not thinking...
 23rd of Jun, 2011 by   goldigger 0 Votes
I have submitted an idea and sent in the first 750-800 dollars. I am currently dealing with a( Bruce) from Davison. He has called me dozens of times. For some reason, they will not leave you any emails or phone messages as far as any progress being made. Only to call them.They will only talk to you on the phone. I have emailed them asking what is happening, they always tell me to call them. They do not seem to want to leave any evidence to bring against them. I am now at the point where they should have a corporation interested in my product by the end of the week. I will not go any further with them until I get something in writing from the corporation and probably will not go any further with them anyway. Its to bad that people just try to get ahead and scumbags take advantage of you. I will drill the shi_ out of him with questions. I read that in the last 5 years they have signed over 326, 000 contracts. only 14 people made more in royalties than they paid in to Davison. This was posted from a legal team from NY.
 29th of Jun, 2011 by   Davison Chief Consumer Advocate 0 Votes
To all out there – do not under any circumstance fall for the post from this anonymous blogger who does not disclose his/her identity, education, new product design and development experience, packaging background or how many inventions they have licensed and prototypes they have built. Receiving advice from anonymous bloggers is simply foolish. The internet is fraught with antagonists who hide behind their “internet handles”. We strongly suggest that this “Internet Bomber” read Complaint Board’s legal disclaimers. Being exposed and pursued legally can be a very expensive and painful ordeal. Courts are handing out subpoenas to track persons of interest down through their ISP’s. Simply put, companies and their employees have had enough of this immature and unjust behavior and are pursing all legal means and remedies to protect their online reputations.

What this person is doing is called “Google Bombing” and is performed by disgruntled former employees of companies, malicious competitors and those that just have a beef in life.

We did not invent your idea or product! Why you believe that our staff should perform services at no cost is beyond us. We do charge fees for our services and all of our service offers were clearly outlined to you prior to any purchase considerations.

Like so many people today, you don’t want to be responsible for your risks and your contracts. You want your development handed to you for free and backed up with someone else’s money. Inventing and new product development is not right for everyone. You have to be willing to accept that inventing is high risk and costs money.

We are in the business of building product samples and packaging. When you are in business you are obliged to pay the staff, taxes, operation expenditures, vendors, utility companies, and so forth. You need to realize that being in business costs money, but we run into inventors such as yourself who think we should work for free while you gain the opportunity to collect royalties from our work. It costs money to research, design and build products. You seem to forget that it was your invention and that you contacted us seeking assistance.

Since we don’t know if this “Google Bomber” is a competitor or not, below is a brief description of the services we offer and the way that we offer them:

Step One: All customers must acknowledge invention development is high risk. In order to do so, each prospective customer is provided with an Affirmative Disclosure and an American Inventors Protection Act disclosure, which includes a description of all of our services and estimated fees. All potential clients must acknowledge that they received and read these disclosures before we accept any idea submission from them. Thereby, we ensure that the general public understands that inventing is time-consuming, costly and rarely results in profit. As a result, none of our clients reasonably can have the impression that inventing is easy and financially rewarding. Inventing can be educational, fun and exciting as long as everyone keeps in mind that there are no guarantees that profits are imminent.

Step Three: Invention Prototype Services Offer: If the inventor does not have a professional quality sample for use, we can perform one or more services, including brainstorming new product designs, designing components, creating prototypes, building working models, virtual reality renderings, and complete product graphics and packaging. Again, any service offerings are outlined in a written contractual format. Therefore, clients are assured of exactly what services they are purchasing.

The above is a basic outline of how our company does business. Clearly, all of our services are provided with full risk disclosures and on a written contract basis only. If you are ever contemplating any development services, we hope that you will consider us. We think that you will find our prices to be very reasonable for the services we offer.

Quick facts about our company and our process

We are based in Pittsburgh, PA and work with clients from around the world.

We have been in business since 1989.

Our company’s products have been sold by over 990 stores & online retailers.

Our staff designs products for both individuals and corporate clients.

We have over 250 staff members.

Our staff has won numerous design awards for innovative product designs.

We are a member of the Online Business Bureau.

Our services include research, prototype development, and packaging design.

We hope you found the above helpful, but if you want additional information on anything concerning the company, please email cca@davisoninvents.com

CCA
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   ProudBBW86 +1 Votes
My brother got in contact with these people... now he totally believes that they are the shit and they will help him with his idea, I read all these comments, and I don't want him wasting money into something that will never amount to anything. Especially these f****** who have STOLE thousands of dollars from innocent people. My brother is hard to get threw to (hard headed), what should I say and/or do????
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   ProudBBW86 0 Votes
gf
 24th of Jul, 2011 by   Sherry Wood 0 Votes
Don't let your brother do it, he will never see a thing from them and sure as hell he hands that money over they will suck him dry. My Dad got locked in with them and they have taken him for well over $20, 000. I know I can't believe it either but they kept him hanging on for many years now and nothing has come of it at all. They will tell him just like they did my Dad and all these other folks that they are so close to marketing they just need two more thousand here and another thousand there. It will never end and before you know it you've lost alot of money and have nothing to show for it. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE, EVER!!!
 28th of Jul, 2011 by   Dynamix 0 Votes
Yeah these people tried to tell my wife her idea was amazing and it sounded a little out there being a business professional myself. All you have to do is google this company and see the endless rip off reports, FTC lawsuits, attorney general statements and complaints. These people are attempting to mislead on many levels.

I researched this company as soon as they called my wife and we saw hundreds of people victimized by this organization. We immediately dropped any further conversation with these people.

If you don't believe anything i say then when they call you and you tell them you aren't interested see what happens... just to let you know we were instantly told were being smart asses and started getting harassing calls after. Your choice.
 19th of Sep, 2011 by   Erin Shea 0 Votes
I am just now in the process of pitching my idea to them and I have a call today where I think he is going to ask me for the first payment. Now, after reading all of this, I do not want to. But have any of you figured out how to actually get something looked at and made? I have an idea that I think is a good one. Now I am afraid that Davison will take it and design it if I drop them.
 19th of Sep, 2011 by   Erin Shea 0 Votes
To me, if they are this big company, I would think they could wait to get paid off of the royalties, as we would have to as well. If it does not get made, then you would have to pay for their time. I am aware that nothing comes free, but most things you pay for when completed. Lawyers, as well, most times get paid when the settlement is final. So, if Davison is so upstanding, why can they not do this too? Just curious.
 10th of Nov, 2011 by   AleeAdams 0 Votes
I agree with the complaints from the individuals who were taken by Davison. If you continue to check out other complaints from other websites concerning Davison, you will notice a familiar ring to the voices who have the gusts to post their legitimate complaints online. The Managing Senior Directors of New Product are very convencing to obtain your money, despite what you read. If a red flag comes up and you are hesitant, they do have a come back. I want to direct you too Scam Radar.com and read the complaints about Davison and another website Davison Investegration Complaint and notice the post 2009-09-22 by lak87. I have filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trades Commission and with the Attorney General Office, Pittsburgh, PA. I feel that it's extremely important to follow through with your complaints to these departments. Your voice is important, if your complaint is legitimate you have nothing to fear and you will get satisfaction in telling your story. I feel its important to make the public aware of these experiences, so that no ne else falls into the trap of misleading sales reps from this company.

Cell Phone-Scam