logo

Penn Warranty Corporation
Rip off
3. (13 mins ago)
wigsway.co.uk
They took money and haven’t provided order
4. (19 mins ago)

overcharge

CON EDISON
MANHATTAN, New York
CONED.COM
for the last 3 years my bill has skyrocketed. I live in a studio apartment i am in my house approxiamately maybe 8-10 hours a day. I went from paying 36.00 to paying close to 100.00 per month it is getting out of hand. In march they had threaten to turn it off -I have paid as of this date 150.00-just check my mail box they are telling me that i owe another 103.00-everytime i have paid the bill in the past that was suppose to be the current bill. I manage my office at work and we are not being charged what they are charging me. I think my money is going to remodel their new offices on the river. Who can I really complain to.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Sep, 2008 by   Jeff Higgins 0 Votes
Con Ed does very little if anything about complaints ... I spent two years trying to get Con Ed to identify why I was getting $600-800 monthly bills ... I even had two Con Ed technicians come to my house who admitted there was something wrong ... and one of them told me Con Ed should do something about it but will not ... I wrote a letter to Con Ed CEO Kevin Burke at his office at 4 Irving Place NY, NY 10005 asking for help ... he referred me to his executive Marilyn Caselli to resolve the issue ... all she did was send a Con Ed crew out that zapped my 52 inch Televesion by accident and then say there was nothing wrong. I was annoyed that Marilyn Caselli always took a long time to write back and then never addressed my specific questions ... to further aggravate the situation I notice my August 2008 Con Ed bill is almost 60% higher (per Kilowatt hour) than my August 2007 bill. In August 2007 Con Ed charged me 18 cents a Kilowatt hour ... now in August 2008 they are charging me 28 cents a Kilowatt hour.

The agency that oversees Con Edison (theoretically) is the New York State Public Service Commission ... their phone number is 1800 342-3377 ... I've spoken to them numerous times and in my opinion they are more concerned with Con Ed collecting unpaid balances than they are resolving complaints ... but at least they will pick up the phone and make a show of attempting to resolve the issue.

In my opinion the bottom line here with Con Edison is that they really will never resolve complaints satisfactorily until the NY State Attorney General sues the NY State Public Service Commission and by proxy Con Edison (as apparently the NY State Attorney General is not allowed to go after Con Ed) ... a very sobering conclusion ...

One of the folks from their executive offices called me today and listened to my complaints but at the end of it said I could hire a 3rd party Energy Efficient company to come out to my house and make reccommendations ... she told me Con Ed did not have people certified to check my house for any electric problems ... these folks really are out to lunch ... take all our money then tell us to go hire a 3rd party company to find out why they are taking all our money. Why is this company even allowed to do anything?
 29th of Sep, 2008 by   Kevin Mc 0 Votes
My Con Ed bill has gone through the roof (which is why I Googled Con Edison Rip Off and found this site). It is approximately $150 per month. It is an apartment... the cost just does not add up.

Horrible!

This is what happens when you are not given a choice. Take it or leave it.

I might complain but in the end I feel like "Why bother?"
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   seamus 0 Votes
In recent months my bill has more than doubled over what I paid last year for the same time period -- $240 per month for a small apartment! Ironically, in the past year, I've reduced my power consumption. Not to mention the electric infrastructure in my very old (19th century) apartment can't support the load it would take to consume that much power.

Con Ed holds all the power. My options are to pay the monthly bill (no questions asked) or give up electricity.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by   mphillip 0 Votes
My last 3 bills with coned has trippled from past bills of $50, $60, $70 to now 209. My apt just as most here have stated is extremely tiny. Everytime I speak to coned reps about this problem they say " well the meter was read and this is the result" or " usage in the summer is more than other months." I understand that reasoning but no where should it be triple the amount or even double.My apt keeps pretty cool so i use a fan sometimes. I've probably used my AC on 10 0ccassions all summer long and never have they gone overnight etc. I also have fluorescent bulbs, I am not home often during the day. I use one lamp which comes on about 7 at night and i'm in bed by 9/10pm. I am paying a bill for a home or small business. Its outrageous. The interesting thing is the state commission may not assist appropriately. I found a federal website and while searching for answers. www.ferc.gov.com
I will check out their reasoning. I am not satisfied with this final bill. It smells of corruption and monopoly and price inflation. I would love others to contact me so that we may seek out legal action.
I strongly believe that these meters are tampered with and are therefore, faulty. They need to be replaced. We are being robbed and new policies need to be implemented. It can only be done with legal action. Please contact me.
 22nd of Dec, 2008 by   Hal Bentham 0 Votes
Corporate GREED Con Ed sends out arbitrary bills and if you pay it fine, if you complain they say it's "usage" My bill went up 150% without valid explanation 12 22 08
 20th of Feb, 2009 by   LINDA 0 Votes
I live in Fontana, calif. and my bills have trippled in the past 5 years. I'm discussed with EDISON. They rule your life..., My summer bills, (which last for 8 months) a year are usually 350.00 per month. I used to be on the "level pay plan" which I canceled after a couple of years. The year I signed up had been a very high useage year. And wouldn't you know they figure it based on your previous year usage, so I was paying around $200.00 per month(even in winter) so now I'm really eating it. I was off work for 8 months in 08, just went back to work in aug. and I'm trying to get caught up. I had 2 insufficient funds payment in 12 months and I got a letter today telling me I have to make a "DEPOSIT" of $820.00 to keep my account my lights on. I FREAKED !!!. I've just started to get back on my feet will tax refund and working again. She wanted me to pay $245.00 bi weekly. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've lived in this house for 12 years, you know me and where to find me. What next? Here's an idea put a lean on my house. Thats what the Trash Co. would do. After I quit crying she told me she would speak with her supervisor and see what they could do. 2 minutes later she said that they could make the deposit payments over a longer period of time. Yea, I saved! NOT... Thanks alot you B_______! Starting tomorrow I looking for a business that sells and installs Solar Panels, so I can go to work for them and get myself and other people to start installing them so we can give Con EDISON THE "FINGER" AND DUMP THEM FOREVER AND EVER...THE #%&($@*^. Thank you for listening. You can contact me at lmele5177@aol.com.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   MadHater 0 Votes
My father died a year ago. We kept the electric on in the house for basics - clocks, fridge, etc. But we spent a total of 20 days in the house in 7 months. Yet we are paying more now to Con Ed than when he was alive? WTF?! They say it is going into the level payment plan, but obviously it isn't. Con Ed... should be Con Artists.
 3rd of Jul, 2010 by   mmoron 0 Votes
Con Edison charges me $ 300.00 monthly in a 2 bedroom apt.My hussband and I are both disabled, have no TV,
go to the nypl to use uor laptop and still these high charges. NOW THREATENED BY THE MARSHALL, I had to try to make an agreement.They demanded $1700.00 down and $ 1100.00 monthly plus the monthly bills.I told them Our income was just 1500 monthly.They added on my absentee landlord 's (who stole my deed), bill.

I now "owe " them 9, 000. and have to find a way to pay 840. each month plus 900. down plus the monthly bills.THE marshall MCCoy will be coming 7/12.Why doesnt anyone in government stop the madness ?
 26th of May, 2011 by   jack888 0 Votes
Con Edison have been over charging, My summer bills June to the end of August bill are rounded close to $500 each month. While other people's bill barely pass $300 a month. I remember trying to close to heat for one month around march and the bill was $70 dollars less than It was on February with the heat on most of the time. This could be some kind of unknown mistake.
 14th of Jul, 2011 by   spoonbag 0 Votes
I just moved into a relatively small studio apartment (I'll estimate at 500 sq. feet), and went to check my first bill. I've been running my small 5000 BTU a/c quite a bit the past two weeks as I work from home and temperatures have routinely been in the 90s. Based on some estimates I'd done myself and others' comments online (as well as my own experience sharing numerous apartments in New York), I expected my bill to be around $120-$150. I don't have a lot of appliances and keep lights off for the most time, relying on natural light and a single lamp.
So, I call today and what do they tell me? I owe $700. Yes. This is obviously a mistake and they schedule for a meter-reading to be done the next day, but the woman's attitude was, "we don't know if it's a mistake, " after I briefly described my energy usage.
Hopefully this is resolved relatively painfully. If not, thankfully I have relatives in law.
 4th of Apr, 2014 by   CONED IS DIRTY 0 Votes
WHY CAN'T SOMEONE STOP THIS CRIMINALS!?!?!? I have been fighting with them for over a year. I am paying almost $1, 000 a month. We are a normal family of four, and we don't exactly live in a mansion. It is just a regular home, and we take the steps to lower our electric usage. There is no reason for this! Every time I call to complain, they tell me I must have something that is using a lot of electric. My words to the trained animal on the phone: "I know you are told to say a host of this when we complain, but if you had a brain cell in your head, you must be thinking that this is not just too much money, but crazy. For the amount of money I am paying for energy, there should be fireworks shooting out of the house." I have been determined to figure this out for over a year. FINALLY my husband decided to listen to me and look at what was going on with the bills, and he has now joined the mission. I am going to figure out their scam and I am going to SUE them. And then I am going to SUE them again.

Six Energy-Saving Tips For Winter