Certegy Check Services

Posted:

Declined checks!

4.65
My wife tried to cash a $22.00 check at Albertsons Grocery store and the check was declined. Upon talking to a manager in the store I determined that they are using a check verification service called Certegy. I located a phone number and called them with a response that there was no derogatory information about my checks and that I was declined due to my check writing profile. We are retired and hardly ever write checks since we do all our purchases by credit card. This experience of being turned down in a store full of people was very embarrassing for my wife. Albertsons gave her a $40 gift card in an attempt to get her back into the store since we are regular customers (she still will not return).

I am a member of the Board of Directors for America's Credit Union and there was never a question of available funds to cover my check. In talking to our Credit Union CEO his wife was turned by Certegy for the same reason when writing a check at T J Max . I was unable to contact a real person at Certegy but he CEO was able to get to a real person by continually punch numbers that did no exist on automated menu. He was told that he did not have sufficient funds to cover the check and he told them they were liars since he was the CEO and new that he had more than sufficient funds to cover his check.

I am still being ignored by Certegy and we are afraid to write more checks due to the embarrassment that we might endure. We need a class action suit to prevent these folks from doing what they are doing to honest hard working American citizens.
Complaint comments Comments (542) Complaint country United States Complaint category Business & Finances

Comments

7th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
i tryed to cash my income tax check today ( 07, feb, 09) at walmart and was declined. the lady gave me a slip of paper with reason 2 and a number to call so i tryed to call it and all i got so some recoding asking me to tell them my id# every time i tryed to it said sorry i didnt understand you
 7th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Certegy should be forced to change their methods of verifying checks, or close the business. I have never written a bad check. I went to two different shoe stores to buy my son a pair of shoes and because both used Certegy, my checks were declined. I had just wrote a checks at other stores in the mall. I have never been so humiliated, and to make matters worse; I had to tell my son why he couldn't get his shoes. I called Certegy and was greeted by an automated service. I was told that Certegy had no information about me and I would need to submit an application to decrease the chances of my checks being declined. I feel that my check should be accepted as long as I have sufficient funds and proper identification.
 8th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I ordered merchandise by mail from NorthStyle and paid by check. Today I received in the mail the order form back, my check was stapled to it wihtout comment from NorthStyle. Enclosed was double side printed slip (3 1/4in x 3in) from Certegy:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Page 1
Dear Customer:
We are sorry that your check could not be authorized based, in whole or in part, on information provided by Certegy Check Services, Inc. ("Certegy"), and/or Certegy's need for additional information. We value your business and apologize for the inconvenience.

To protect your privacy, we receive no personal information when Certegy does not authorize acceptance of a check. A code number is provided in order to convey the reason Certegy did not authorize your check. These codes and their meanings are as follows:

CODE 1 - In most instances this is based upon negative information on file, usually prior unpaid checks.
CODE2 - Although no unpaid check information is on file, Certegy did not have sufficient information available to approve the transaction, or this transaction exceeded a pre-established limit.
CODE3 - The format of the identification presented did not conform to government established guidelines for a valid ID.
(Over Please)
EQ100
041-102 21-1102

Page 2

Certegy Check Services, Inc ("Certegy") provides check authorization and warranty services to merchants and business nationwide. You have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your file at Certegy. You also have a right to a free copy of your check transactions file from Certegy if you request it within sixty (60) days after you receive this notice. In addition, that any information contained in the file from Certegy is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to dispute it with Certegy.

(bold face) You may call Certegy toll free at 800-237-4851, or write to Certegy Check Services, P.O.Box 30046, Tampa, FL 33630-3046.

If you contact Certegy, please provide the following information so they can respond promptly to your request:

*Your Full Name and Current Address
*Driver's License (or State ID) Number and State
*Telephone Number
*Check Number
*Check Amount
*Checking Account Number
*Name of Financial Institution
*Date When Check Declined

For employee training and evaluation purposes, your telephone call may be monitored

:certegy (about 16pt)

-----------------------------------------------

I used a pre-printed personal check, amount $348.70. It contains all the requested information, except the drivers license number. Sent on 1/30/09.
The date when it was declined was nowhere marked, but the envelope from NorthStyle was metered on Feb 5 2009. My check was NOT endorsed by NorthStyle.
I write approximately 200 checks per year, same bank for 20+ years, this was the FIRST NOT ACCEPTED. NorthStyles order blank provided for check payment.

Wrote all this down for some legal person to take up the case.
Hebnman

I will not waste the time with certegy and NorthStyle and watch out in the future.
 10th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I, also had to deal with this today. The situation was completely surreal!

I was not near my bank (I use a credit union by my work, which is in another town) & had a paycheck from my work to cash. It wasn't a "regular" paycheck, I have those direct-deposited, which I'd advise everyone here to do if you can as that would avoid the issue people have had with paychecks not being cashable at regular stores for no good reasons. It was a "payroll refund" check, as my employer had made an accounting error and taken too much out for one of the deductions.

It did, however, have all the info that every paycheck with check stub has on it- amount, name, address, company info, then all my personal info on the check stub (YTD info, taxes, 401(k) stuff, etc). This doesn't matter, though, because the issue apparently had nothing at all to do with the check- the clerk didn't even get to the point of trying to run my check. When they attempted to 'verify my identity', which they do by using your SSN, name, DOB, and driver's license number, they got an error. They tried it again, and got the same error.

The clerk had to look up the error code- then she asked me "have you ever changed your name?" Yes, I told her, when I was married about 13 years ago. She asked if she could try running it under my maiden name, which I knew was ridiculous but I said okay, and that failed also for the same reason. Apparently, in Certegy's database, my name & SSN, or my name & DOB do not match.

This is NUTS. I have filed taxes, worked for several large corporations both national & international (I'm an engineer), opened bank accounts and credit card accounts, and gotten my credit reports- all using my name plus SSN plus DOB. This one company, which apparently is more powerful than I had any idea they could be, has an error in their database.

So I went to their website to try to find contact information- believe this or not, they requested that I send, through email, to a blind email box (not addressed to any one person, just to a department) all my personal, secure, identifying information. I responded to the email by stating that I would be happy to talk to a CSR or a manager if one would call me, but there was no way I would send my name, SSN, banking info, etc through email to a no-name inbox. I have had no reply, but if I do not get any reply in the next few weeks, I will escalate this. Legal measures may indeed be necessary. it sounds, from some of these stories, like a class-action suit might not be a bad idea.

-karinne
 10th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I have been writing checks at Publix Supermarket for the last 8 years and all have cleared my bank without any problem but on 2/5/09 my check for $71.47 was declined via Certegy Check Services! So after 8 years of loyalty I am now taking my grocery shopping business to Winn Dixie.
 12th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes

Certegy Check Services - FAILURE TO CASH CHECK
WAL-MART
408 sapp st.
Starke
Florida
Phone: 3525685006
RH52466@YAHOO.COM

TRIED TO CASH A CITY OF STARKE CHECK AT WAL-MART. CUSTOMER SERVICE SAID THAT CERTEGY SAID NOT TO CASH IT. WHEN I CALLED, THE PERSON AT CERTEGY SAID THAT I FIT A PROFILE AND THAT THE DECISION WAS NOT REVERSABLE. WHEN I ASKED WHAT THE PROFILE WAS THE REP GOT AN ATTITUDE WITH ME AND WOULD NOT GIVE ME A ANSWER. I STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT PROFILE I FIT. WALMART HAS A POLICY TO CASH ALL GOVERMENT CHECKS FOR 3 DOLLARS, ARE THEY DOING MISLEADING ADS JUST TO AQUIRE BUSINESS?
 14th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was denied at this same Kmart location in Arroyo Grande, CA. I like to write checks so I have a carbon record to balance my check book later without the worry of saving receipts and my check was denied. I ended up using my debit card, but was completely emabaressed and humiliated as a line of people were huffing and puffing over the fact that I was taking so long. I don't know why such large corporations use this horrible certegy company. It is new to me, telecheck and scan have always had such good reputations, why switch now. I was told my check was denied because of an unfamiliar check writing pattern and I could fill out a form at certegy.com to clear my profile and be able to write checks again, but the form was no where to be found. The person I dealt with on the phone at Certegy was rude and 100% unprofessional. I left the store extremely angry and will be going back to Wal-mart now instead of Kmart.
 16th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
When I went to K-Mart to cash my check it was refused by Certegy.When I got home I dialed the number on the back of the check.Waited about 20min.I gave the information they needed and I was told there was nothing wrong with my check.The check might have looked funny.Whats funny I don't get it.Or my check number was to big 11373 what does this have to do with my check having no funds.To solve my problem I went and go a debit card and I'll stay away for K-Mart...
 16th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
When I wnt to K-Mart to cash my check it was refused by Certegy.When I got home I dialed the number on the back of the check.Waited about 20 min. I gave the information they needed and I was told there was nothing wrong with my check.The check might have looked funny.Whats Funny I don't get it. Or my check number was to large six numbers what does this have to do with my check having no funds.To solve my problem I went and got a debit card and I'll stay away for K-Mart.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
This same thing just happened to me on Sunday, I wrote a check and it was denied, with people behind me. Yes is is very embarrasing. All my accounts and credit card are paid in full. I called the number and the lady said there was to much activity on my account. I just called my bank and they said my accounts were just find. I've never had a check card, but guess I do now. This certegy is the most rediclous thing around and they customer service is very poor. They dont check credit ratings very well, as I just check mine and that is 754
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Get a debit card, you MORONS.

It's 2009.

& CHECKS ARE NOT GUARENTEED FORMS OF PAYMENT!!!

& if you're on hold for so long, HANG UP it's not the end of the world
AND IF YOU ALREADY USED A ALTERNATE FORM OF PAYMENT, why do you call!??!

& You people that cash your checks at walmart are COMPLETE MORONS. Majority of you are toothless and wonder why the only kinds of checks you receive are unemployeement checks.
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by    +1 Votes
YOU ARE ALL MORONS. KEEP WRITING YOUR DINOSAUR AGE CHECKS. ALL CHECKS ARE SUBJECT TO APPROVAL. IF YOU HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF CHECK WRITING AND WHAT CHECK WRITING ENTAILS THEN MAYBE YOU'D UNDERSTAND WHY YOUR CHECKS ARE DECLINED. YOU ALL JUST CALL IN KNOWING THAT YOUR NOT GOING TO HEAR WHAT YOU WHAT TO HEAR AND JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS... WAHHH I DIDN'T GET MY GUCCI PURSE... BOOO FUCKING HOOO. BUYING GROCERYS? USE YOUR FRIGGIN DEBIT CARD YOU IDIOT! OH YEAH, AND FOR ALL YOU DUMB ASSES WHO CALL IN TO CERTEGY AND ASK WHY YOUR DEBIT CARD WENT THROUGH AND NOT YOUR CHECK... EHHH LETS USE OUR BRAINS FOR ONCE... DEBIT CARD = GUARNTEED FORM OF PAYMENT COMES OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT RIGHT THEN AND THERE. LOOK UP THE WORD DEBIT, NO HERE YOU GO SINCE YOUR ALL MORONS I DID IT FOR YOU. ---

Debit cards- allow for INSTANT withdrawal of cash, acting as the ATM card for withdrawing cash and as a cheque GUARNETEE card. Merchants can also offer "cashback"/"cashout" facilities to customers, where a customer can withdraw cash along with their purchase.

CHECKS BEFORE THEY HIT YOUR ACCOUNT ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A "PROMISARY NOTE" WHICH MEANS I PROMESS TO PAY THIS AMOUNT. AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY I HAVE THE FUNDS IN MY ACCOUNT. ONE THAT DOESNT MATTER BECAUSE 90% OF BANKS WILL NOT DISCLOSE WHETHER OR NOT THE FUNDS ARE AVALIABLE OR IF YOU EVEN HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. TWO YOUR BANK WILL NOT GUARENTEE THAT THEY WILL PAY YOUR CHECK. I DONT KNOW HOW MAY TIMES I HAVE HAD A BANK REP CALL IN ASKING WHY DID WE DECLINE THEIR CUSTOMERS CHECK. I ALWAYS ASK ONE QUESTION TO THEM " WILL YOU GUARENTEE THERE CHECKS FOR THEM?" THEY ALWAYS SAY, NO!!!

SO GO ON KEEP WRITING YOUR CHECKS. EVEN THOUGH I JUST EXPLAINED EVERY LITTLE DETAIL ON THIS SUBJECT, YOU WILL STILL KEEPING ASKING QUESTIONS AND BITCHING UNTIL YOU HEAR WHAT YOU WHAT TO HEAR, I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY... I REALLY DO ITS JUST THE AMERICAN WAY TO STUMP OUR FEET AND POUT WHEN WE DON'T GET WHAT WE WANT.

OH AND BY THE WAY FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO CALL IN CUSSING AND NAME CALLING :
ONE- WE JUST WORK HERE, WE PERSONALLY' ARE NOT DECLINING YOUR DAMN CHECKS.

TWO- DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE AN AFTER WORK JOKE? BECAUSE THATS ALL YOU BECOME.

THREE- NAME CALLING/BASHING THE COMPANY/AND TELLING ME HOW BAD I NEED A NEW JOB WILL GET YOU NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHERE =) YOUR CHECKS STILL DECLINED. HAH!

P.S.

TELLING ME TO HURRY UP MAKES MY COMPUTER RUN SLOWER... ITS A MYSTERY. I KNOW... HAHAHA!
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
btw CINDY, we are the #1 check verification center in the U.S. ... Were not a Credit Bureau. Take your Credit rating Q&A's to them. thank you for calling, have a good day!!!
 24th of Feb, 2009 by    +1 Votes
You know, there is this wonderful invention called THE FRIGGIN' DEBIT CARD!!! Be an intellectual and act like you are educated and have some sense for once and USE IT!!!

The real demon here is YOUR OWN BANK!! They want to look good to their clients and say there is absolutely NO reason why your check should be declined but they neglect to tell you they WILL NOT guarantee your checks AND they WILL NOT verify funds with third parties!!! They only verify to you or other financial institutions. If your bank really gave two farts about you they would have told you this from the time you opened your account. Your check is an I.O.U. and nothing more. Your financial institution will not guarantee that the funds will be available by the time the check hits your account. Do yourself a favor and ask your bank anonymously if they will guarantee a merchant that the funds will be available when the check hits your account and see what they say.

Blah, blah, blah! My check was declined. Blah, blah, blah! I have funds available. Blah, blah, blah! I have a good credit score... HELLO!!! If you knew ANYTHING about writing checks you would know that all that is irrelevant! The only reason why you probably write a check is you don't have the funds available anyways!

Many of you say this is illegal... IF IT WERE ILLEGAL CERTEGY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 40+ YEARS AND GOVERNED BY THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION!!! Certegy follows all that the law requires. All of you so called "lawyers" should know this ...DUH!!!

For all of you WalMart lovers ...YOU ARE THE MOST INCOMPITANT HUMAN BEINGS I HAVE EVER COME INTO CONTACT WITH IN MY LIFE!!! Since you're too dumb to get a bank account and DEPOSIT your check to your account let my fill you in on a secret... YOUR PAYROLL, STATE AND GOVERNMENT CHECKS ARE STILL SUBJECT TO APPROVAL!!! It does not matter whether your check is from your minimum wage job or the federal government, there is no promise the merchant will receive their money. I don't know why I'm explaining this anyways. WalMart customers don't have the IQ to understand this anyways.

There are a few things you should know before calling their 1-800 number:

1. You can send your complaints to useless websites like these or even to the Better Business Bureau but guess what ...YOU STILL WON'T GET YOUR WAY!! Your petty attempts to scare Certegy to tell everyone you know and threaten to never shop at their clients again is useless. Certegy will just say sorry for the trouble and have a good day. You know why? You will go back to those stores because there is nowhere else to go. Certegy services more than half of all merchants in the country and territories.

2. You will get the same answer over and over again but in different terms each time you ask the same rediculous questions but the reps dumb it down for the "simple folk".

3. Your calls are recorded for quality and legal purposes. If you try to take legal action you will make yourself look like an even bigger idiot because there is no illegal practices taking place and Certegy WILL play it in court for you.

4. The hold time may be a while because there are several other idiots just like you jumping up and down and screaming in the middle of the store asking the same useless questions. Save your breath and don't waste your time.

Alas! I know my attempts of enlightening you people will be fruitless. You will still complain, cry and scream and make yourself look like a moron. I guess that's how the system works. Without morons like you Certegy would cease to exist... and the reps would have nothing to laugh about when they place you on hold or at office gatherings. One moron LIKE YOU puts smiles on thousands of faces.

Good day to you.
 25th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
So what are we suppose to do when Certegy doesnt "like" the company we get payed from.
Geez I just want to cash my payroll check at Walmart:(
 28th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
it has nothing to do with "liking" or "disliking" the company the check comes from. computers can't tell if your check is from mcdonalds or microsoft ...hell it can't tell you from a ham sandwich!!! it reads nnnnnuuuuummmmbbbbeeeeerrrrsssss ... that's truly a dumb question ...be proud.

if your check reflects the same similarities to the risk model which consists of the recent losses THE STORE ITSELF has experienced then your check may get declined.

You can't blame WalMart for wanting to hire someone to prevent the same thing from happening to them over and over again.

In simpler terms since you're a WalMart shopper and your IQ is about the same as a tree i'll give you an example ...it's like smelling bad cheese ...once you smell it once you definately don't want to smell it again. just like WalMart doesn't want to go through the same losses.
 2nd of Mar, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I too am a victim of this crap. I have notified the following: FTC, atty general Wisconsin, atty general Florida, ABC news, AARP, and the pope. NOW ALL WE CAN DO TO STOP THIS IS TO SCREAM AT THE RETAILER USING THEIR SERVICE, IF IT'S A NATIONAL CHAIN WRITE TO THE CEO, AND BOARD MEMBERS, ALSO POST YOUR COMMENTS ON ANY BLOG YOU CAN FIND. write A EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS WITH INSTRUCTIONS TO FORWARD TO THEIR FRIENDS ETC AND WRITE SUCH COMPANIES SUCH AS WALGREENS, THEN AND ONLY THEN WHEN THESE COMPANIES FEEL THE PAIN WILL THINGS START TO CHANGE.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I agree with JOE... lets just write the pope while were at it! Party at the Vatican woot woot!!!
 9th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I don't usually write checks, however, I was at Bass Pro Shops in the Inland Empire with only my checkbook. I wrote a check for $169.00 and was told the check was rejected by Certegy Code 2. I was embarrassed and humiliated and asked who I could call to find out what Code 2 meant and why my check was refused. The manager showed up with a piece of paper with Certegy's phone number on it. Since I don't usually write checks, I got over the embarrassment and humiliation and didn't call. A couple of months later, I was in Target not wanting to charge anymore on my credit card. I wrote a check for $140.00 and again my check was declined by Certegy, Code 2. This time I called. I got a Certegy employee who was obviously reading, verbatim, from a company manual. She told me that my check was declined because my checking account was flagged as matching a pattern of fradulent activity. I asked her to tell me specifically what fradulent activity and why MY check was declined. She again read, word for word, the same explanation. At this point I started getting very angry and asked her again what fradulent activity. She again read me the same explanation. Now furious, I asked to speak with her supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold using my cell phone minutes no less, I was patched through to a supervisor, William. I told him I wanted an investigation into the "fradulent activity" related to my account because if I'm a victim of identity theft, I told him, I needed to know about it. He told me the investigation had already been done and that's why my checks were declined. I flew into a rage at this point and again requested that an investigation be done specifically on why MY checks were associated with fradulent activity. BTW, my credit score is around 780. No matter what I asked him, he kept repeating the same rhetoric over and over. I then asked to speak with his supervisor.He told me he didn't have one. I said everybody has a supervisor and again he told me he didn't have one. I got so angry, I though I was gonig to have a heart attack and my 9-year-old daughter was upset. I can't remember the last time I got so angry. Finally he told me his supervisor's name, but said she was on vacation until March 3rd which was a few days away. I ended up hanging up on him after I realized that I was dealing with morons and wasn't going to get anything except a coronary. F*** Certegy. I'm still seething. Shame on you Certegy and your dispicable business practices. And shame on the businesses who use your services while humiliating and embarrassing your loyal and responsible customers.
 11th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
dang get over yourself lady ...you've got some real problems ...it makes me laugh though!!

Certegy Logo Certegy