Certegy Check Services

Posted:

Declined checks!

4.65
My wife tried to cash a $22.00 check at Albertsons Grocery store and the check was declined. Upon talking to a manager in the store I determined that they are using a check verification service called Certegy. I located a phone number and called them with a response that there was no derogatory information about my checks and that I was declined due to my check writing profile. We are retired and hardly ever write checks since we do all our purchases by credit card. This experience of being turned down in a store full of people was very embarrassing for my wife. Albertsons gave her a $40 gift card in an attempt to get her back into the store since we are regular customers (she still will not return).

I am a member of the Board of Directors for America's Credit Union and there was never a question of available funds to cover my check. In talking to our Credit Union CEO his wife was turned by Certegy for the same reason when writing a check at T J Max . I was unable to contact a real person at Certegy but he CEO was able to get to a real person by continually punch numbers that did no exist on automated menu. He was told that he did not have sufficient funds to cover the check and he told them they were liars since he was the CEO and new that he had more than sufficient funds to cover his check.

I am still being ignored by Certegy and we are afraid to write more checks due to the embarrassment that we might endure. We need a class action suit to prevent these folks from doing what they are doing to honest hard working American citizens.
Complaint comments Comments (606) Complaint country United States Complaint category Business & Finances

Comments

2nd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Like the rest of you, I too have a perfect credit score, pay of loans early, and never bounce a check. I have been declined twice in one week by Certegy who report that certain criteria in the file at certegy resulted in the denial. Twice in one week? It was an embarrassment to me as well, how humiliating for nothing. They were at Bed Bath and Beyond, as well as Kmart. I too am seriously considering not going to those stores for this very reason and I'm all ready for a class action if it comes.
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I suspect Cetergy is harvesting information for some reason (or some entity). It may appear to be "random" (as one of you was told by a Cetergy employee), but unless you're writing checks for large amounts all over town in one day, this is not "fraud protection."

Oh, yes: I am a conspiracy theorist :)
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I too was declined in Hibbett Sports in Auburn, Ala they store manager gave me a piece of paper and told me too call that number and I did and the young lady that answer the phone stated that I had no negative activity with them and that the reason my check was declined is because I am not a check writer and that they bank that I use is in another state that is 15 minutes away from Auburn, Ala is not local, she stated that I needed to complete and fill out an (Gold Application), so that I would not run into this problem. I PERSONAL think that this is some bullshit because I am not a check writer and I perfer to use my check or debit card majority of the time they can just take my check writing privilages if that is the case, than all of stores that use this Company should just stop taking checks...because the stores are going to loose alot of business because people such as myself will not take a chance on being embarrased again.
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
This check service is a crock, they turned down a check from IOWA Warreant, if you don't know what that is then I will tell you, it is an Unemployment check from the State of Iowa. I allways took these to wal mart and used to cash it there and deposit it on my debit card so I could easily pay my monthly bills, not this month seems Wal Mart whom takes $3.00 to cash this check last 2 years or more when I am laid off in winter does not cash them anymore and will just divert you to this company with a reciept and a phone # of 1-866-278-5478. Wal Mart Manager was very rude and even threatened me with tresspass and law enforcement when I asked for a copy of their monthly memo that states the reason they are not authorized to cash a state check anymore.
Now I am no fan of China Mart, either rate they been getting 3.00 for my check cashing for 3 seasons and that totals to be about 450.00. I call the number only to be treated like a check bouncer, nor have I ever had a checking account. Seems to me allot of scam deregulation is groin on in the corporate world and they are passing it on to the consumers. Either rate this company is a fraud and so is China Mart. What happened to this country?
The dream is gone, cause you have to be asleep to believe it.
 5th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
i don't even have the energy to express the amount of frustration I have with Certegyright now. But I see that I am not the only one and I appreciate you all for telling about your experiences in hopes that this dreadful company will be exposed.
 17th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Certegy - Falsly denied
Certigy
Pensacola
Florida

I welcome myself to the long list of Certigy victims. Having never written a worthless check, imagine my surprise when I went into the local Sally's beauty supply to have my check denied. Not denied due to any negative info but due to a "profile" given me by Certigy. This company is ridiculous. I believe (as a merchant myself) in not letting people continue to write bad checks./ But to stop a ligitimate consumer who never has is insane.
 20th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I went to cash my UPS check at walmart as I've doe for the past two weeks. I got declined this time with reason code 5. It had this 1866-278-3046 number to call. I was told the check was ALREADY CASHED!!! IMPOSSIBLE!!! Certegy was the company that told me this. I already got a fraud alert placed on my credit profile just in case. I'm glad I encountered this site with everyone's complaints. I'll be giving the Federal Trade Commission a call very soon about this corrupt company called Certegy!!!
 28th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am writing this letter to inform you of how disturbed and displeased I am at the way that your company and its employees conducts’ business. On December 2, 2008, I wrote a check to Verizon Wireless located in Chattanooga, TN for the amount of $32.76. I understand the check was returned to you because of some error that either your company or Verizon Wireless made with the account number. Because of this error, not on my part, I have had my checking account placed in a non working status by every merchant that uses your services! Put yourself in my place for a moment. Go shopping, stand in long lines to pay for your merchandise, and when you finally get to the registers, you get embarrassed and humiliated when you are told that we can not accept your check! If I wanted to pay with some other form of payment I would have never presented my check as payment. This is all that your employees would say to me when I questioned them about what was happening to my account. The check to Verizon was not returned because of insufficient funds, but because of some other type of error, again, not on my part. The claim number for this problem is 28336369.

I have been humiliated and embarrassed this entire month of December. Now, once this problem was brought to my attention, I took care of my part! I immediately sent payment to your company. You received payment on December 19th, the check cleared my bank on December 23rd, and I am being told that this block on my account will not be cleared or removed until sometimes during the first two week of January 2009!! This is inexcusable and uncomprehensible. If you have the ability to block account immediately, you need to have the same ability to restore that account when the problem has been corrected. Again, this problem was not on my part!!

I have been writing check for over 35 years and I have never had a check returned because of insufficient fund or had my check denied by any merchant that accepts personal check as legal forms of tender until I had to have some dealing with your company!! I want you to know and be aware of how this ruined my Christmas shopping experience this season, and how it has caused me undue frustration, embarrassment, and humiliation.

I feel as though, I should pursue legal ramifications for all the unnecessary humiliation and embarrassment that Certegy has put me through! Now, with this Christmas season behind us, and ruin for me and my family, what proof do I have that Certegy has not placed negative, as well as, incorrect information in my credit file! You seemed to have a no problem ruining others financially while trying to conduct your business. Your customer service department was uncooperative during this entire escapade and showed no signs of concern or compassion for this situation! In fact, they were quite arrogant and unconcern about this problem! Again, THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CAUSED BY ME!!

Please expedite the restoration of my checking account privileges, as well as send me documentation that there has been no negative impact on my credit report or credit rating because of this problem. Please work on ways of preventing this embarrassing and humiliating situation from happening to good people again in the future. No one should have to go through this because of errors made by others!
 3rd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I just thought I would let every-one know that Sears also uses Certegy. My husbands and my check was declined there a couple of years ago and we no longer shop at Sears or Big Lots.
 9th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I recently attempted make a purchase at Macy's writing a check for $286.00. To my utter surprise, check was declined. I asked the clerk to run it again, which she did and my check was declined a second time. I asked her to call to find out what the problem was. After holding forever, a Certegy representative told her I needed to call an 800 number and that my check was declined as a "code 2". I called the 800 number an received an automated response stating that my check was declined because it did not fit their check writing patterns and it was security measure to prevent identity theft and fraud. The message further stated that the check was not declined due to any negative information in my file and that information was passed on to the merchant...blew my mind. Naturally, I wanted to speak to a "live" person. When I did finally get someone on the phone, I was told that there was nothing they could do to override their system. So I asked I am going to be declined the next time a write a check that uses Certegy and she replied that she couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't be. The practice this company uses that may decline a perfectly good check is arbitrary and egregious. The represenative admitted as much, very flippantly.

I had to endure an embarrassing moment having a check declined for no good reason. I ultimately used my check card and completed the purchase with no problem. I later bought something else in the store and wrote a check just to see what would happen and the check was accepted without a hitch. I am assuming that the amount of the check was the issue. However, even if I never write checks, when I decide I want to I should be able to for whatever amount I need to, especially as a consumer who has never had any returned check issues. I probably won't be shopping at Macy's anytime in the near future. Perhaps I won't have to since 11 of their stores nationwide are shutting down for poor sales performance.
 16th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
This company is ridiculous. I saw the ad that Wal-Mart is running all over the airwaves saying that they will cash our payroll checks for $3.00. I went there today for the first time and I too was handed a slip of paper with a phone number. I want to know what is wrong. I have no derogatory banking information. I have worked at the same company for 15 years-not one check has ever bounced. I am calling Wal-Mart to let them know they lost a long time customer until they get rid of Certegy.
 27th of Jan, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Any body writing a check is an idiot holding up the lines, use a debit card or cash and stop wasting peoples time waiting for you to write a stupid check and then holding up the line waiting to know why it was declined, the reoson for peoples checks being declined is due to so many peoples checks being returned for none sufficient funds and retailers stuck with no good checks and out of the merchandise its their right weather or not to accept the risk of a check from a stranger. Maybe if more people were honest when writing checks and actually had funds or were actually cashing checks that belong to them we would need a service like this you can thank those people for your check being declined not Certegy or the retailer.

angelr82
 30th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
this same thing just happened to me tonight at walmart, I have cashed numerous payroll checks, and they just took a peronal check from me yesterday. its not right. i called to see why my payroll check was declined and was told that the computer did this because it could be possible fraud. My employer spends quite a bit at this same store for supplies and always sends an employee with the check and they NEVER decline his. After reading this i realize it may be him next, and warn him., same account!
 30th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Add me to the list of pissed customers! My check for 341.55 was declined at kmart today. I was SO pissed. I called the number on the back of my DECLINED check and was on hold for about 20 minutes. The rep finally said some nonsense about not really knowing why I was declined and that I should use cash. WHAT? She offered some service that may lower my chances of any of my future checks being declined. NO THANKS. I am fearful of writing another check. What is going on?
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
well color me stupid along with the rest of you all, low and behold .. checking account for years...no bad checks... give my daughter a check for gas at a murphy's gas one in front of wal-mart... weve been writeing checks for gas there for years... 20.00.. declined by cetergy..same bs.. called them hold for 15-20 minutes... ask why declined...answer> no negitives on account ( which i had allready verified from bank ) nuthin causeing it to be flaged.. so why i ask? ... put on hold again... comes back and tells me thier system is set up to flag unusalla things on checks that may be a cause of a frude check. so i ask what is it then and i get the same BS ya getting bout cant declose that infromation to you for security porpuse. wtf ?
so after hrs of aurguing with them and serching fourms bout certegy check came to find out tons of people haveing same problem.
well certegy said it would be ok... so go back down to murphy's ... pump gas ... give check... denied again, wtf?
this time the damm attendent ask to see my DL to verify the check...he keeps the check and the prick takes my DL for payment for gas...NOW THISS PISSES ME OFF BIG TIME... so i go to get money for gas and he takes my check to bank and chases it while im at the bank ...wtf? cant take it for gas but can take it and cahs it?
BIG call to murphy oil ... they get upset bout it big time at certegy and the attendent... will be calling them both to find out why this happened
meanwhile still dont know why it was denined... havent tried to write check anywhere else... afraid too..
so i went online flied complaint with BBB of west fl. were certegy is located... looks like there is several BBB complaints on them even a law suit bout collection of check not being done right or something.

ANYONE a lawyer or something that can help us? shame we work so hard to keep our credit in line.. up... right.. and all ..and all it takes is a screwed up company like this to screw it up!

then again the honest people pays again for the crooks out there
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I was declined too over the weekend! For a $60.00 pair of shoes, how embarrassing. Then when I called the company, Certegy, it was completely automated and told me nothing of the reason why it was declined, except by their "risk models."
 6th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same thing just happened to me with a Sear's repairman out to fix my oven. The check was denied because I was assumed to be a risk, not because of insufficient funds. I am a statistician and would like to see their risk model. I wonder if I filled out that Gold form that they offered to send, would I then be approved. The repairman took my debit card for the same bank account, and it was approved almost immediately. I would have just done that had he told me he'd take it.
 7th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
i tryed to cash my income tax check today ( 07, feb, 09) at walmart and was declined. the lady gave me a slip of paper with reason 2 and a number to call so i tryed to call it and all i got so some recoding asking me to tell them my id# every time i tryed to it said sorry i didnt understand you
 7th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Certegy should be forced to change their methods of verifying checks, or close the business. I have never written a bad check. I went to two different shoe stores to buy my son a pair of shoes and because both used Certegy, my checks were declined. I had just wrote a checks at other stores in the mall. I have never been so humiliated, and to make matters worse; I had to tell my son why he couldn't get his shoes. I called Certegy and was greeted by an automated service. I was told that Certegy had no information about me and I would need to submit an application to decrease the chances of my checks being declined. I feel that my check should be accepted as long as I have sufficient funds and proper identification.
 8th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
I ordered merchandise by mail from NorthStyle and paid by check. Today I received in the mail the order form back, my check was stapled to it wihtout comment from NorthStyle. Enclosed was double side printed slip (3 1/4in x 3in) from Certegy:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Page 1
Dear Customer:
We are sorry that your check could not be authorized based, in whole or in part, on information provided by Certegy Check Services, Inc. ("Certegy"), and/or Certegy's need for additional information. We value your business and apologize for the inconvenience.

To protect your privacy, we receive no personal information when Certegy does not authorize acceptance of a check. A code number is provided in order to convey the reason Certegy did not authorize your check. These codes and their meanings are as follows:

CODE 1 - In most instances this is based upon negative information on file, usually prior unpaid checks.
CODE2 - Although no unpaid check information is on file, Certegy did not have sufficient information available to approve the transaction, or this transaction exceeded a pre-established limit.
CODE3 - The format of the identification presented did not conform to government established guidelines for a valid ID.
(Over Please)
EQ100
041-102 21-1102

Page 2

Certegy Check Services, Inc ("Certegy") provides check authorization and warranty services to merchants and business nationwide. You have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your file at Certegy. You also have a right to a free copy of your check transactions file from Certegy if you request it within sixty (60) days after you receive this notice. In addition, that any information contained in the file from Certegy is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to dispute it with Certegy.

(bold face) You may call Certegy toll free at 800-237-4851, or write to Certegy Check Services, P.O.Box 30046, Tampa, FL 33630-3046.

If you contact Certegy, please provide the following information so they can respond promptly to your request:

*Your Full Name and Current Address
*Driver's License (or State ID) Number and State
*Telephone Number
*Check Number
*Check Amount
*Checking Account Number
*Name of Financial Institution
*Date When Check Declined

For employee training and evaluation purposes, your telephone call may be monitored

:certegy (about 16pt)

-----------------------------------------------

I used a pre-printed personal check, amount $348.70. It contains all the requested information, except the drivers license number. Sent on 1/30/09.
The date when it was declined was nowhere marked, but the envelope from NorthStyle was metered on Feb 5 2009. My check was NOT endorsed by NorthStyle.
I write approximately 200 checks per year, same bank for 20+ years, this was the FIRST NOT ACCEPTED. NorthStyles order blank provided for check payment.

Wrote all this down for some legal person to take up the case.
Hebnman

I will not waste the time with certegy and NorthStyle and watch out in the future.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree