logo
search

Capital One, California Complaints & Reviews - Unreasonable Account Restrictions

Capital One Contacts & Informations

Posted:

Unreasonable Account Restrictions

California
capitalone.com
In August, 2008 I applied for a credit card with Capital One. I received correspondence from them requesting me to mail them a copy of my Social Security Card and Drivers license, since they could not verify my information. Since I still had a limited credit history, I accepted the request as reasonable and mailed the documents. About a week later, I received another letter confirming the receipt of the previous documents, but indicating they also need to verify my address, and I need to send a copy of my utility bill as well. A bit annoyed for not being asked to send this with the first mail, I obliged and sent them a copy of a recent utility bill. About another week later, my new capital one credit card arrived in the mail.
After using my card for +- 3 weeks, while making a purchase at a coffee shop, I had to face the embarrassment that my card was declined for a $5 purchase. I phoned Capital One, only to find out that a restriction was placed on my account due to ‘suspected fraud’. I was requested to send a copy of my SSN card and driver’s license before the restriction would be lifted, since they needed to verify my identity. I was incredibly upset by this, since I supplied ALL this information when I opened the account less than 3 weeks ago. But I was faced with Capital One’s fraud department who just refused to help (they said they had to assume they were not speaking to me until I sent them the documents). So after battling with one of their agents and his manager for about 45 minutes, I gave up, and faxed the documents. I was promised that the restriction would be lifted within 24 – 48 hours. Needless to say, 48 hours later, account still restricted, I had to get back on the phone with Capital One. I was now told that they again needed to verify my address! I was even more upset with this – but the result was the same as with the previous call, so I ended up faxing them the documents. The restriction was lifted the next day.
About a month later (October 2008), Capital One sent me a new card – with a higher credit limit. Once again, after using the card for about a month I, by chance, saw on my online banking that my new card was restricted!! I nearly exploded – again not even a phone call from Capital One to warn me. So, on Thursday, November 20th, I had to face up to the Capital One Customer Service again. Same story… I had to fax a copy of my SSN card and drivers license – and wait for 24 – 48 hours for them to process it. I was again ‘helped’ by an agent who refused to expedite the process in anyway, and because the documents I sent earlier were for my other card, they did apparently not count. After explaining my unhappiness during a 45 minutes call, I just ended up faxing them a copy of my SSN and Drivers license. This time just with the additional problem that my payment was due on the 29th, and I was unable to even pay my account online. I was told by the representative to mail a check, in order to avoid late payments. I did however not have my checks with me and felt that this was a rather unreasonable request, seeing that I did nothing wrong to have my account restricted in the first place. But augmenting with Capital One seems a waste of time. So on November 20th, I faxed the documents, as required to Capital One. Monday, 48 business hours later, I received a call from Capital One saying they received my documents, but needed to again verify my address. I refused to accept this, and asked that the account be closed, since I did not accept their way of treating me as a customer. I was told that they refuse to do that, until I send them my latest utility bill. Again wasting another 45 minutes of my time. I ended up faxing my utility bill to them. On Tuesday I phoned them AGAIN, hoping that they would’ve perhaps processed my documents, but was told that an agent will phone ME within 48 hours to tell me that the account restriction has been lifted. But, on Wednesday afternoon I have not heard back from them, so I phoned AGAIN. I was then told that it was still not processed and can take up to 72 hours!!! This was the first mention of this and completely different to that what I’ve been told up until now. Again a complete refusal to expedite the process whatsoever. Now it is November 30th. No word from Capital One. My account is still restricted. I had to pay $10 to do a balance transfer to my Bank of America credit card to avoid late feeds and negative credit reporting (although one lady told me they would take it into account, another told that I was responsible to get it sorted before the due date).
I am extremely frustrated and really disappointed that Capital One is allowed to treat a customer like this. I will definitely not recommend anyone to ever do business with them.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Credit Cards
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Mar, 2007 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Took money from my account

They took $12.95 from my credit card on 02/26/2007 for some kind of service I don't know about . I DON'T UNDERSTAND because i never has used this page.
 21st of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Poor service!

I paid off a loan 2 months ago and still receiving letters on a zero balance account. The last letter had "an attempt to collect a debt" statement on a zero balance account. No one will help me and I have called 5 times. They tell me they do not have a manager to talk to and the matter will be resolved. Very bad customer service and no one cares.
 29th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
Start talking to your state attorney general. Contact local and national news media and show them your paperwork trail. Blog regarding capital one everywhere you can.

Eventually, they will figure out enough negative publicity causes them less business.
Fight back!
 8th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
Several months ago we received a call that our card might be used and need to send us a new card, Capital one sent us to fraud unit and we were hung up on and put one hold several times we wanted to cancel our card and they would not give us the new information to close our account we continued calling and sending money and our balance continued to go up after 5 months of this we were on the phone for an hour in half and put on hold 7 times and half the people would not come back to the phone. Capital one is the most dishonest credit card we ever have used we ended up paying 750.00 in charges that we don't know where they came from. When I pulled our credit report they had caused our credit score to come down. If any one is thinking of opening a credit card DO NOT USE CAPITAL ONE!!! This will not be the end of this, I will contact att. general and better business and anyone else I can think of to make sure this does not happen again.
 28th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Capital One - No credit card protection
Capital One Credit Card
PO Box 70884
Charlotte
North Carolina
capitalone.com

Just want everyone to know that there is no purchase protection when you pay for an item with a credit card check.
 31st of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have had a Capital One card for several years. My credit line started at $300.00 which I paid on time every month. I needed an increase, so Capital One increased my credit limit to 700. Again, I made my payments on time every month. My husband lost his job and we found it more and more difficult to make the payments.

I called Capital one many times and tried to explain that we could not make the min payment and could we work out a workable solution - I was told Capital one does not do this. I told them if we couldn't work out something -it would end up going to a collection agency - in which it did. I wrote back the collection agency and told them my situation and asked again for a workable solution - again nothing.

I was getting medicine for my daughter and used my debt card to find out it was declined. I called my bank to find out why it was declined and found out that the attorney that is representing Capital One had frozen all of my accounts. I was NEVER severed with court papers and now stuck without any money to buy food, gas or medicine for my daughter. I called the attorney and he said basically tough luck. They froze everything with my name attached to it - which meant my daughter's bank account.

I told him the money he saw in my savings was for the mortgage. If we are behind one more month we will loose our house - he again said that's not his problem. As far as I'm concerned Capital One and the law office they use are crooks. I had to pay 1, 700 + for a 700 credit limit. IF ANYONE READS THIS - NEVER NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE WILL HOLD.
 31st of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Terrible advertisement
capitalone.com

I just want Capitol One to be aware that the advertisement used for capitol one, on yahoo is the most annoying blinking advert I have ever seen. I would be pleased to see it gone and would only then consider doing business with capitol one. It is a terrible advert.

Capitol One could ultimately lose business over having such an annoying advert.
 16th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Capital One - they took me to court ,briked our checkmwe went through genesis,through consolidation and
capital on

i have been paying genesis through debt condolidation, thay r not paying on interest at all .so nothing is solved, caoital one put a brick on our check and took us to court mwill not talk tous, dec we have another couurt hearing, can, t live like this theses r scams this is my sister, s capital one and genesis.they r taking everthing and will not talk to them til court day, have no where to go or what to do
 20th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Speaking as a former employee... What they probably did was take out a "member charge" on your card. I'd suggest calling them and asking for it to be waived, then canceling your card a couple days after that.

You can reapply for a new one without the membership fee on it.
 15th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Credit card charges for $4.95
Sumter
South Carolina

I noticed $4.95 being deducted from my credit card. I did not authorize this charge, therefore, I am arequesting a refund and also an assurance that this will not continue.
 17th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Payment Protection Plan
Capital One

ever since i have been a member for capital one they have charged me for the payment protection plan I have never authorized it. That says it all
 13th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Expiration Dates, Poor Customer service
getsatisfaction.com

Capital One has poor customer service. See here: http://www.getsatisfaction.com/capitalone/topics/capital_one_expiration_dates_and_customer_service
 18th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Unsolicited phone calls
capitalone.com

Capitol One calls my cell phone but the call can't be answered becase it can only be rejected, not answered. I called the number in the ID nd tell them that I don't have an account with Capital One, and please remove my number and place my number on the do not call list. They say they will, but the just change the number they are calling from and continue the annoying calls.
 18th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Scam charges
capitalone.com

I canceled my credit card but this company continued to allow companies that was making automatic charges each month to charge my account. I thought cancel meant cancel? They stopped these charges only after I complained and told them to stop all charges on this account.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Robbers
capitalone.com

Said they closed are acct an there would, nt be a intrest added to it if we called before dec 14 th so we called on the 9 th called to check some people capitial one has working or not have an ed they should go under if or gov helps them i will vote against an one in the gov now.Capitial one should put on a mask when they rob you.
 3rd of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Harrasment
Capital One

Capital One is harassing me and my family. They call myself and family members everyday of the week more than 5-10 times a day from a variety of different phone numbers. 888-748-4956, 800-955-6600, 757-483-4840. They have left me in a bind. Now my family members are questioning me about my personal business with capital one. They need to stop.
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One Protection Plan - Payment Protection Plan
California

They signed me up and charged me for their Protection Plan without my consent.
 9th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Capital One - Harassing Phone Calls
capitalone.com

I have been harassing phone calls from them for days. Up to 5 at a time, but no one will answer the phone when I pick up. I have called three times and got yelled at on the phone by the "account manager" because I demanded that the calls stop immediately. They said that I would have to deal with it for a month until they got it taken care of. Ridiculous. I closed my card and am currently filing a harassment lawsuit.
 27th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
1-888-527-3014
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes

Capital One - CREDIT CARD

I DIDNT HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS, I DONT OWN ANY CREDIT CARD, PLEASE GET THIS PROBLEM FIX. THANKS TINA P.S. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE IN MY e-mail: tenybeegood@yahoo.com

Job Scams On Craigslist