logo

Knowledge Source
Scammers; Jon Giann and Dymphna Boholt
4. (3 hrs 8 mins ago)
Mbi - Probiller.com
Charged me monthly for something I don’t know.
5. (3 hrs 23 mins ago)
Fisher & Paykel DCS 5 burner stove
Defective stovetop and no way to get it repaired or replaced!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Capital One, California Complaints & Reviews - Unreasonable Account Restrictions

Capital One Contacts & Informations

Posted:    James Kirkpatrick

Unreasonable Account Restrictions

California
capitalone.com
In August, 2008 I applied for a credit card with Capital One. I received correspondence from them requesting me to mail them a copy of my Social Security Card and Drivers license, since they could not verify my information. Since I still had a limited credit history, I accepted the request as reasonable and mailed the documents. About a week later, I received another letter confirming the receipt of the previous documents, but indicating they also need to verify my address, and I need to send a copy of my utility bill as well. A bit annoyed for not being asked to send this with the first mail, I obliged and sent them a copy of a recent utility bill. About another week later, my new capital one credit card arrived in the mail.
After using my card for +- 3 weeks, while making a purchase at a coffee shop, I had to face the embarrassment that my card was declined for a $5 purchase. I phoned Capital One, only to find out that a restriction was placed on my account due to ‘suspected fraud’. I was requested to send a copy of my SSN card and driver’s license before the restriction would be lifted, since they needed to verify my identity. I was incredibly upset by this, since I supplied ALL this information when I opened the account less than 3 weeks ago. But I was faced with Capital One’s fraud department who just refused to help (they said they had to assume they were not speaking to me until I sent them the documents). So after battling with one of their agents and his manager for about 45 minutes, I gave up, and faxed the documents. I was promised that the restriction would be lifted within 24 – 48 hours. Needless to say, 48 hours later, account still restricted, I had to get back on the phone with Capital One. I was now told that they again needed to verify my address! I was even more upset with this – but the result was the same as with the previous call, so I ended up faxing them the documents. The restriction was lifted the next day.
About a month later (October 2008), Capital One sent me a new card – with a higher credit limit. Once again, after using the card for about a month I, by chance, saw on my online banking that my new card was restricted!! I nearly exploded – again not even a phone call from Capital One to warn me. So, on Thursday, November 20th, I had to face up to the Capital One Customer Service again. Same story… I had to fax a copy of my SSN card and drivers license – and wait for 24 – 48 hours for them to process it. I was again ‘helped’ by an agent who refused to expedite the process in anyway, and because the documents I sent earlier were for my other card, they did apparently not count. After explaining my unhappiness during a 45 minutes call, I just ended up faxing them a copy of my SSN and Drivers license. This time just with the additional problem that my payment was due on the 29th, and I was unable to even pay my account online. I was told by the representative to mail a check, in order to avoid late payments. I did however not have my checks with me and felt that this was a rather unreasonable request, seeing that I did nothing wrong to have my account restricted in the first place. But augmenting with Capital One seems a waste of time. So on November 20th, I faxed the documents, as required to Capital One. Monday, 48 business hours later, I received a call from Capital One saying they received my documents, but needed to again verify my address. I refused to accept this, and asked that the account be closed, since I did not accept their way of treating me as a customer. I was told that they refuse to do that, until I send them my latest utility bill. Again wasting another 45 minutes of my time. I ended up faxing my utility bill to them. On Tuesday I phoned them AGAIN, hoping that they would’ve perhaps processed my documents, but was told that an agent will phone ME within 48 hours to tell me that the account restriction has been lifted. But, on Wednesday afternoon I have not heard back from them, so I phoned AGAIN. I was then told that it was still not processed and can take up to 72 hours!!! This was the first mention of this and completely different to that what I’ve been told up until now. Again a complete refusal to expedite the process whatsoever. Now it is November 30th. No word from Capital One. My account is still restricted. I had to pay $10 to do a balance transfer to my Bank of America credit card to avoid late feeds and negative credit reporting (although one lady told me they would take it into account, another told that I was responsible to get it sorted before the due date).
I am extremely frustrated and really disappointed that Capital One is allowed to treat a customer like this. I will definitely not recommend anyone to ever do business with them.
Comments United States Credit Cards
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Mar, 2007 by   Frank 0 Votes

Capital One - Took money from my account

They took $12.95 from my credit card on 02/26/2007 for some kind of service I don't know about . I DON'T UNDERSTAND because i never has used this page.
 28th of Aug, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes

Capital One - No credit card protection
Capital One Credit Card
PO Box 70884
Charlotte
North Carolina
capitalone.com

Just want everyone to know that there is no purchase protection when you pay for an item with a credit card check.
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   Nicole 0 Votes
Speaking as a former employee... What they probably did was take out a "member charge" on your card. I'd suggest calling them and asking for it to be waived, then canceling your card a couple days after that.

You can reapply for a new one without the membership fee on it.
 15th of Dec, 2008 by   Georgia McDaniel 0 Votes

Capital One - Credit card charges for $4.95
Sumter
South Carolina

I noticed $4.95 being deducted from my credit card. I did not authorize this charge, therefore, I am arequesting a refund and also an assurance that this will not continue.
 17th of Mar, 2009 by   grantman 0 Votes

Capital One - Payment Protection Plan
Capital One

ever since i have been a member for capital one they have charged me for the payment protection plan I have never authorized it. That says it all
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   luispunchy 0 Votes

Capital One - Expiration Dates, Poor Customer service
getsatisfaction.com

Capital One has poor customer service. See here: http://www.getsatisfaction.com/capitalone/topics/capital_one_expiration_dates_and_customer_service
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   gign 0 Votes

Capital One Protection Plan - Payment Protection Plan
California

They signed me up and charged me for their Protection Plan without my consent.
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   s2gohelper 0 Votes
1-888-527-3014
 28th of Apr, 2010 by   jackie50 0 Votes

Capital One - calling neighbors and other family
capital one
Tuckerton
New Jersey

I would like to know what i can do inthe case of charge compnanies calling your family and neighbor the company is capital one
 3rd of Jul, 2012 by   Nridulet 0 Votes

Capital One - They allowed fraudsters to resubmit the charges even after I sent proof that they are crossborder scam
Capital One

They allowed fraudsters to resubmit the charges even after I sent proof that they are crossborder scam artists stealing from small businesses.
 16th of Jul, 2012 by   Renardo Boyd 0 Votes

Capital One - Credit report
Capitol one
Arkansas

Capitol one is still reporting a negative report on me from an account that has passed the staute of limitation. Alkso the balance has not been proved.
 24th of Jun, 2013 by   Metal Mary 0 Votes

Capital One - increase in payoff amount

During the month of may I phone capital one auto finance and my payoff was @ $6700. I phoned on July 24 and the payoff amount is @$7500.. What could possibly be the rationale for this??????
 4th of May, 2015 by   Zak_Pittsburgh +1 Votes
I am having the exact same problem. I've had my card less than a month, I made less than ten purchases (most of them food at work) and my account was restricted for "suspicious activity." I called and was told nobody can tell me anything about my account until I go into a bank and present my DL, SS card, and utility bill. All the banks around me open after I get to work, close before I leave work, and aren't open on the weekends. I would literally need to take a day off work to do this. I told them I can verify everything on the documents, but they need to be sure "I'm the one providing the information." With logic like that, who's to say someone didn't steal my DL, SS card, and utility bill and fax it to them. Not to mention, they didn't need any of this when I signed up for the card. I also have my account set to text me EVERY time a purchase is made. I'll have my roommate fax the documents and then tell Capital One to turn off ALL security features on my account and I will handle it myself. I don't understand how they consider THIS to be "secure and for my benefit." Yeah, there won't be any fraud because NOBODY CAN USE THE ACCOUNT. Absolutely unbelievable.

AIG Fraud Perpetrated on the U S by Dodd Franks amp Pelosi