logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Strax
Bad surgery almost killed me
2. (24 mins ago)
HotBoy Designs Music Centro Liam Toller Scam
HotBoy Designs Music Centro Liam Toller Fraud
3. (38 mins ago)
Binary Global Group
they do a fraud with people
4. (43 mins ago)
Hosting Raja hostingraja.in

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Bruce Hardwood Flooring Complaints & Reviews - Substandard flooring - flaking like scabbies!

Bruce Hardwood Flooring Contacts & Informations

Bruce Hardwood Flooring

Posted:    Elizabeth A. Pierce

Substandard flooring - flaking like scabbies!

After Hurricane Katrina, I had to purchase new flooring for my home which was severely damaged in the storm. I bought four room of Bruce Hardwood flooring [not cheap]. It was installed and now it is flaking like scabbies. There are brown dots, they spread like chicken pocks, the wood starts to bubble, splinter,and chip off. It was a mis-mash of colors from light cherry to deep mahogany. It was like tiger stripes in some areas. I t had to be changed three times. It continues this process. After speaking to the store manager and several people in the flooring department and Bruce flooring, they decided that they would not fix it again and would not honor the warranty. I was forced just to take the money back for this horrible substandard flooring. If I had not, I would have had to have sued both Bruce and Lowes. You would think that Katrina was enough, but I would rather have shipping crates on my floors than this unsightly mess. I was told that it was costing too much money to keep replacing it. Neither even offered to come and rip it up or pay for the expense for me to hire someone. Katrina means "a Cleansing" so I've heard, maybe I need it now more than before Katrina.

Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Sep, 2007 by   Nick Kinnebrew 0 Votes
I have been installing hardwood floors for over 15 years. I've heard other installers complaining of the nightmares they've encountered with Bruce Hardwoods. Until recently I have been able to avoid it.

Unfortunately, I agreed to install 1,500 S/F of oak flooring in a new home -not knowing it was a Bruce product. I have never seen such crap. I am embarrassed it is made in the US, and I live in Canada...

30 to 40% of each box contains boards that have to be rejected.

1) Most boards have dents that are visible when viewed with a glare. They appear to be caused by wood chips between boards that were later stacked with significant weight. -very sloppy, and easily preventable.
2) Boards taper in width, leaving gaps with the following row.
3) Butt joints aren't cut to a true 90 degrees.
4) Boards are banana shaped.
5) Overwood -thickness varies
6) Even when a "good" board is found, it may split lengthwise when nailed in.

I now have a new rule. Absolutely NO installation of Bruce hardwood!

This US company has made the Chinese products look first rate. Without a doubt I would choose any hardwood from China before touching another Bruce manufactured nightmare.
 12th of Oct, 2007 by   bill bellamy 0 Votes
Worst quality I have ever seen. My home has Bruce E557 WOODSTOCK 5" plank oak engineered flooring.

I knew all was not as it seems when you can see the underlying wood in the seams with the floor installed. Horrible wear and tear tolerance. If any source of moisture touches this floor it will warp around the edges because the veneer wear layer is so thin there is no material. I had to investigate and went into the attic to see if there was any extra pieces. Not only is it flimsy thin but the wear layer os barely 1mm thick !!

Do yourself a favor do not even remotely consider buying this product.. I will be tearing out the flooring in this house within a few years. There should be a class action lawsuit
 31st of Aug, 2008 by   Anna Cabral 0 Votes
Help, I don't know what action to take. Bruce is going to send a rep to check for the humidity in my home. Funny I've had oak flooring in my dinning room for 22 year with no cracking.

Sincerely, Anna
 18th of Sep, 2008 by   Karen 0 Votes
If you think Bruce is a nightmare...we purchased Sierra Hardwood Flooring from the Georgia Flooring Outlet. The floor clouded after the first cleaning...dents, scratches, marring...$10, 000 worth of this substandard flooring. And the company says it is our problem!
 30th of Sep, 2008 by   Joy Roberts 0 Votes
I agree with everyone. I bought my first brand new house in 2005. It was a Bowen Family home, in Suwanee, GA. I had beautiful cherry laminate put in my entire 1st floor. It is peeling, has dents all over it and in general is an absolute mess. Many of my neighbors have the same problem. I am retired. I can't afford to replace this wood. I am very upset. The builders will not help. All of us are very frustrated. I think there should be a class action lawsuit against this kind of shoddy flooring.
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   Sheree M 0 Votes
I purchased a new home & one of the decorator choices was a maple hardwood by Bruce (which I chose). I will never purchase a home that has any Bruce hardwood flooring in it nor will I ever purchase the flooring myself. My flooring is not holding up to daily wear ... it has excessive denting & the Bruce rep says that they will not do anything about it because the denting is not the result of a manufacturer defect. He also stated that Bruce / Armstrong would not be interested in determining the cause of the problem. It's amazing to me that a company is so adamant about taking no responsibility for such a poor product that is marketed to be "durable".
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   floorguy 0 Votes
Sheree, unfortunately I have to agree with what Bruce/Armstrong told you on this one...maybe not the way they handled it, but ultimately they are correct. No hardwood manufacturer will warranty against dents, scratches, etc. What should have been explained to you by the salesman that sold you the product is that maple, although harder than oak, will show dents far more because of the open, subtle graining. Closed-grain woods like oak, ash, and hickory dent as much and more than maple, but the pattern of the wood hides it.
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   dp in atl 0 Votes
We purchased the Bruce product, (3/8 Engineered, Butterscotch Glue Down) and had them professionally installed about 4 weeks ago. They looked great for a couple of days, but then we started noticing how easily the dent and chip. These floors chipped when my 15 month old son dropped his sippy cup!

We called Bruce / Armstrong and received the same answer other people on this blog mentioned, "Not their Problem."

Is anyone aware of a Class Action suit against Bruce / Armstrong?

Derrick in Atlanta
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   John Baldwin 0 Votes
I just removed a carpet runner to clean and discovered my 3 month old bruce Brazilian Cherry floor was much lighter under the carpet! They told me to remove the runner and the color will return in a few weeks. Seems to me this should not happen at all. They did not offer any other help. Anyone else have this problem?
 31st of Jul, 2009 by   Judy Pom 0 Votes
I agree, with all these comments. I installed a Bruce Engineered floor 4 years ago it was country natural E1601. The floor has not faired well over that time, the wood is ridiculously soft and prone to scratching and gouges also this was not a cheap product. I am extremely disappointed in the quality. I am currently in the process of removing 12 floor boards and replacing them. If I wasn't trying to sell the house I'd rip the whole lot up and put something in more durable. Don't touch this product it's really substandard.
 22nd of Aug, 2009 by   Brenbeach 0 Votes
I also agree with all the complaints about Bruce Armstrong florring. I have the oak florring in my kitchen and dining area and it dents and scratches far too easy. When I installed the floor I could not believe the gouged boards that I had to set aside and pick through, almost an entire boxfull of gouged boards. I put the moisture glue under my hardwood to protect from spills in the kitchen and dining area. I purchased my flooring from Lezzar Lumber and their sales person did not know enough about the product to inform us properly on this special order and it was very expensive! When we had our kitchen cabenets installed the floor was gouged underneath around the cabinet area even though mats were used and the carpenters were very careful. You cannot walk on these floors with shoes because it scuffs and scratches too easily. I would never purchase this floorig again, I have to live with this for a long time and I hope a law suit comes out against this Bruce Flooring Company.
 12th of Sep, 2009 by   VALARIE YOWELL +1 Votes
IF I EVER BUY WOOD FLOORING AGAIN, IT WLL NOT BE A BRUCE PRODUCT. BRAND NEW HOME AND MY FLOORS ARE HORRIBLE! IT IS ENGINEERD WOOD AND SPLITTING IS THE MAIN PROBLEM. THE COMPANY THAT THE BUILDER BOUGHT THEM FROM CAME AND REPACED ABOUT 30 BOARDS. WE WERE SENT A LETTER FROM THE COMPANY SAYING THEY WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I CLEAN IT WITH THEY ARE STILL SPLITTING. BRUCE SAYS THEY ARE NOT DEFECTIVE, SO HERE WE SIT WITH DISGUSTING FLOORING! I ALSO HOPE I LAWSUIT AGAINS BRUCE COMES OUT FOR SUCH LOW QUALITY PRODUCTS.
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   jpcd 0 Votes
Sierra Hardwood Flooring - Will not stand behind their flooring. The warranty means nothing. They claim to manufacture this floor, but it is actually imported with no regulation of manufacturing or finishing. The flooring inspector told us it is a defective finish - it is cloudy, scratched, dented, A NIGHTMARE!!! And we are out $10, 000. Do not deal with this company - Georgia Flooring Outlet, McDonough, GA. Go to a reputable business!!!
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   JD Michigan 0 Votes
The same type of problems I read here is similar to my complaints with the Bruce Floor I had installed. It just seams to dent, chip and scratch easily. There are places the top veneer is peeling. The cleaners they expect you to use are toxic. They come with warnings about skin and eye irritation. Also they say you should use with adequate ventilation. Has this company ever heard about "green" products. I usually keep my windows closed during cold weather in Michigan. A lawsuit needs to get started against Armstrong for delivering SUBSTANDARD products to consumers.

JD, Michigan
 21st of Feb, 2010 by   Armstong Bruce Floor is bad 0 Votes
I just completely renovated my office and the product that was chosen for the conference room by my architecht / builder was an Armstrong Bruce Floor Product. It is absolutely terrible. The finish is crazing and the laminant is cracking in a bunch of places. It is going to cost a small fortune to replace it - much more than the cost of the floor and installation - it will involve a lot of carpentry work and painting. What a mess. I am terribly disappointed and frustrated with this product. DO NOT BUY IT!!! You will regret it when it starts to fall apart a week after it is installed. Armstrong has offerred that I do not have to pay for the product however, the cost of replacing will be 10x as much. Let me reiterate - do not buy this product!!!
 28th of Apr, 2010 by   Mary T. Wilsonw 0 Votes
I purchased the bruce engineered flooring. this is NOT my first engineered flooring..the floors are SUBSTANDARD and I certainly did not pay substandard prices!!! do not let anyone fool you into buying Bruce floors...they are the cheapest made, veneer is cracked and peeling, less than 4 months, shrinking from wall. and it is not anything we did or the contractor. I had two contractors come here, and they verified the products was very POOR! I have an appointment with the Bruce rep to show my floor..., will see what they say

DO NOT BUY
 11th of Jun, 2010 by   denvermitch 0 Votes
Just purchased 600 square feet of Bruce 3/4" Ellington Plank hardwood for the upstairs. The top urethane finish is filled with tiny bubbles in about 40% of the pieces. Good thing we noticed before it was installed. Back to the store it goes and NO MORE BRUCE!!!
 5th of Nov, 2010 by   Vernon HIlls +1 Votes
We replaced our carpet in the living room and family room to hardwood floors in May 2010. Unfortunetly, we purchased the Bruce Armstrong oak hardfloors at Home Depot. After a month, we found multiple holes on the new floors and some our exsiting floors close to the new floors. We called Teminix. Guess what? He said they came from the Powder Post Beetles which I never heard of. But I just learned the bugs are very common in new oak hardwood floors. When we unistalled entired floors, we were shoked. The wholes on the back side were tremendous. It was so gross that made me goosebumps. Soon you can them in Youtube. By the way, they had not notified me untill I could finally talk to them in Oct. They said the case was turned down in July. Can you believe that? We still don't have flooors. We ended up to bring the case to the Small Claim Court. Wish me a good luck.
 10th of Jan, 2011 by   In Maryland +1 Votes
We're having major problems with our Bruce hardwood. We built a new home last year, and within months, I started noticing that our oak floors were "checking, " "graining" and splitting. I marked each board that I noticed this (approx 150 separate boards). I've had the installer out twice to tell me that it is not considered defective. A Bruce rep is coming out in a couple weeks to check the humidity in our home (which has been in the normal range both times the installer came out). The next step after the Bruce rep comes out (because I know that Bruce won't admit to a defective product) is to have a 3rd party come out to assess the floor. I really hope that someone will bring a class action lawsuit. I am not hopeful that my situation will ever be rectified, especially after reading the postings on this board.
~Frustrated in Maryland
 5th of Feb, 2011 by   KathiSc +1 Votes
I had Bruce lock and fold hand scraped flooring throughout the house installed May 2010, by September, 2010 the family room floors started to have flaws. The flaws only appeared in the family room. We went through channels, they sent a man out who immediately saw my pup and determined it was from urine. However she never piddled in those areas, had he tested for moisture, or used any acid testing strip, he would have learned that. We hired an attorney, Bruce gaffed off the date stated by our attorney. They denied all the claims. Our attorney said if we took it to court it would be there expert versus ours, who said it was a product flaw. So here we are. Never buy this product they do not live up to their warranty.

Flagstar Bank Scam Artists Call