logo

Executive Eyewear
Poor Service
4. (50 mins ago)
Edreams
Mistake done by eDreams employee cost me 700 euros and they don't want to resolve the issue
5. (54 mins ago)

9690 Deereco Rd., 7th Floor
Timonium, Maryland
Phone: 443-921-1900
www.billmelater.com
In July 2007, I orderd furniture from Gately's www.designdining.com website. I chose BillMeLater as my method of payment. I already had an acct w/them and had never had any problems. At the time the order was placed, I took advantage of the 3 months-deferred-payments plan. My furniture was supposed to arrive weeks after my order. The furniture didn't arrive when it was supposed to. I went to the furniture website and entered my order#. It said that the dining set was on backorder and that I could "click here" to PROCEED with waiting, or NOT click so that the order would self-cancel. I elected to self-cancel.

Fastforward to my first bill from BML. I shouldn't have received it, first of all. The order had been cancelled. I had not RECEIVED it! At this point, I try to call Gatelys & couldn't get a human on the phone (always a bad sign). So then I call BML, who tells me how to file a formal complaint. The next day, I sent a certified letter to BML, along with the complaint form PLUS a copy of THEIR (BML) terms of service. Per #7a at https://www.securecheckout.billmelater.com/paycapture-content/fetch?hash=PD4106KD&content=bmlweb/bmlwebtnc.html, I am covered and should NOT be held responsible for the bogus charges on my account. Of course, they could care less about their own terms of service (oh but they will!). In early January, I received a written response to my complaint stating that all charges would be reversed, and they were. I thought that was the end of it. Boy was I wrong.

I received no statements for Feb and Mar 2008 b/c there was no activity on the account. This month (April 2008), I received a statement. I thought, "Here we go again." Now here's the kicker. BML allowed Gatelys to charge my account for the charges BML REMOVED IN JANUARY! So now I'm right back where I started. So once again, I call customer service, who tells me that this is NOT a chargeback, and that Gatelys was the merchant that put the charge on the account. I was told, once again, to file a formal complaint.

Let me say this first. Less than one week after I ordered the furniture, Gatelys filed bankruptcy. However, their sites were still up and running and TAKING ORDERS from consumers for at LEAST 6 weeks AFTER filing bankruptcy. When I tried to login to their site in December (when I first complained to BML for the erroneous cill) it stated that it was "temporarily closed" for "updating". What a crock. They were also no longer listed on BML as a BML merchant. So how in the heck are they charging my acct now when they don't even have a merchant acct w/BML??????

Back to the story. On April 17, 2008, I filed my second formal complaint. Today, April 26, 2008, I received a response. BML has changed their tune now. They're saying that the charges are valid "“because the merchant states that you were beyond the timeframe to receive a refund.” Uh, no. That's a lie. There WAS no cancellation policy. There WAS no refund policy. No "refund" policy includes a merchant CHARGING YOU for merchandise you NEVER RECEIVED - CANCELLED OR NOT! I NEVER GOT THE DA*M FURNITURE! BML is in FULL and WILLFUL violation of their OWN LEGALLY BINDING TERMS OF SERVICE by continuing to bill me for this. They cannot provide any evidence of this said "cancellation" policy, no "refund" policy, etc., , and just b/c that fraud of a company Gatelys SAID there was does NOT make it true. And they also cannot provide me with a delivery receipt, much less one bearing my signature. Yet they say I'm responsible. We'll see what the Attorney Generals (in at least 2 different states) have to say, as well as a judge. I'm only 4 hours from Maryland, so I'm happy to go to court b/c they don't have a leg to stand on.

Their worthless Consumer Dispute dept in Timonium, MD is a joke. In the letter I sent to them, they COMPLETELY ignored my questions (which were in bold, underlined text) asking why I was responsible for items NOT received. I'm complaining to the CEO of the company now, and if that doesn't get me anywhere, I'll complain to the Attorney General in my state, in Maryland, and in Nebraska (the CEO is in NB). I will also be filing complaints with the BBB and FTC. I will also complain to TV news "troubleshooters", and last but not least, I am going to hire an attorney. I will fight this, and I will win per THEIR OWN TERMS OF SERVICE. I'll also request reimbursement of all legal fees, travel fees, etc. that I incur in fighting this flim-flam company.

This company does NOT offer "zero fraud" protection - in fact, it's FAR FROM IT. I want to say that I've never been ripped off before, and I'm very savvy about things like this. So, don't think it can't happen to you. It's best to avoid this company AT ALL COSTS. Their service isn't worth the headache you'll endure if you encounter a problem. They could care less if you are ripped off b/c I'll bet that most consumers just roll over and allow it to happen, but they have chosen the wrong one to rip off this time. Unfortunately for them, I'm not going sit by idly while they try to stick it to me. I plan on fighting it tooth and nail every step of the way, and I am going to pull out ALL of the stops as far as media and agencies that I can report this to.

My local CBS station, whose demographics cover over 2, 000, 000 people, LOVES it when people contact their troubleshooters and a big-name company is involved. The more well-known the company, the more this network loves it. So we'll if the old saying about "there's no such thing as bad publicity" is true, because they're about to get some. I'll give them copies of all of my paperwork, including the letter I'm sending to the CEO, and they Google BML and find all sorts of complaints and mention that too (they always do that with big name companies). Hopefully, I won't have to go to this extent, but I will if this isn't resolved VERY quickly.
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jun, 2008 by   bbrandkamp 0 Votes
Re: Scam perpetrated by eharmony and Bill Me Later

The above two companies are the biggest scam companies operating on the internet. Eharmony lures customers in by the easy payment plans and indicates that cancellation can be effected at any time. Bill Me Later is one of the payment options to select. I decided to open a membership with eharmony choosing Bill Me Later as the payment option.

After two months it became apparent to me eharmony was not a service I should continue. Following instructions online I "cancelled" membership in December 2007. In Janauary 2008 I wanted to ensure the account was cancelled and signed on to their site. By signing on the site it activated a message indicating I was past due and could only enter the site by a credit card payment.

I authorized eharmony to debit my credit card, signed on the site and realized this account had never been closed. Once again I went through the cancellation process and did receive a confirmation the account would close.

Having paid eharmony directly in Janaury 2008 for arrears, cancelled the account for the second time, I assumed there would be no further communication from eharmony or Bill Me Later.

Wrong! Bill Me Later has been billing me for the closed eharmony account. They maintain they paid the initial bill. Even though I have explained that I too paid eharmony I receive telephone calls 7 days a week and emails of my past due status.

Bottom line here is buyer beware. Both eharmony and Bill Me Later are two scam artists working together to fleece consumers by unethical and illegal business practices. The only thing more puzzling to me is why the requisite authorities haven't shut them down already. How many complaints have to be made before there is intervention to shut them down.

I totally agree with the person being billed for furniture he never received. The joke is on us by trusting businesses who have our personal information and continue to bill for services not rendered. Compounding this is the complicity between the so-called bait company and the billing company.
 15th of Jun, 2008 by   bbrandkamp 0 Votes
I neglected to indicate that I "agree" with the furniture complaint.
 17th of Jun, 2008 by   Heather Fields 0 Votes
Hello,
I work for Bill Me Later and came across your recent comment. I would be happy to help follow up on this situation for you. Please feel free to contact me at Heather.Fields@billmelater.com and perhaps we can correspond further. Thank you.
 15th of Jul, 2008 by   Mike 0 Votes
Bill Me Later is a scam. I got a bill from them saying that I owe $16.95 for some credit report I never ordered. I called Bill Me Later and I told them that I have NEVER even openned an account with them, how could I get charged? They told me to call the company that charged the $16.95. It was Experian and they said that someone ordered this. Now I know I could be a victim of identity theift, but there is nothing else wrong except for this charge - noone is using my credit. I figure if they stole my identity they would charge a lot more than $16.95!

The second time I called Bill Me Later (after Experian removing these unauthorized charges), they said everything is fine. Next month I get another bill with a $5.00 late fee!!! They are lucky their office is closed right now!!! They'll get it tomorrow.

I am going to report them anywhere I can. They already have a bad reputation from what I can tell - and its not going to get better. Hopefully they'll go out of business and soon.
 27th of Nov, 2008 by   GAIL 0 Votes
BILL ME LATER -I was a vicitm of FRAUD- BEWARE!!!While placing an order on the Buy.com website they offered a $20 savings for purchases over $100 using Bill Me Later as a form of payment. As soon as I submitted the order for 2 video games, there was an immediate $1561.41 unauthorized purchase to my account for a gas grill I did not order. I contacted BUY.COM immediately who was no help in fixing the problem.They insisted there was no order with my shipping address or email address. I explained that I was charged for a $1561. item by BILL ME LATER.COM. They said there was no order to cancel and yet BILL ME LATER states I an responsible for this charge. BEWARE OF BUY.COM and BILL ME LATER.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Just Checking 0 Votes
I see that a person named Heather Fields, supposedly from Bill Me Later, has responded to a number of complaint posts. Has anyone tried working with this person? What were the results?
 19th of Dec, 2008 by   Heather Fields 0 Votes
Gail,
I work for Bill Me Later and came across your recent comment. I would be happy to help follow up on this matter with you. Please feel free to contact me via email at your earliest convenience: heather.fields@billmelater.com

Sincerely,
Heather Fields
Bill Me Later, Inc.
heather.fields@billmelater.com
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   beverly piper 0 Votes
i have received a letter from you on july 8, 2009 stating that the purchase of US airways for the amount of 1021.89 was not approved. I did not order any airline tickest and would like to know who did. If you would please check into this for me.. thank you beverly piper. ref #127532323-504990800101027
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   beverly piper 0 Votes
please check into this
 23rd of Dec, 2009 by   HBSSLaw 0 Votes
Has anyone from California used the Bill Me Later option for online purchases? Like several of these posts, I’ve read stories about consumers being charged inflated interest fees – some exceeding an APR of more than 100 percent.

I work with a law firm investigating Bill Me Later for unfair billing practices and they want to hear from California residents who may be interested in participating in a case. Share your story at http://www.hbsslaw.com/bill_me_later.htm

Tina
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   erinvogler 0 Votes
Bill Me Later is a joke...
I used it for the gifts for my wedding for our wedding party because we had 22 poeple and that is a lot of money so I did it under the terms of the 90 days intrest free..now keep in mind I still made some payments well, when I got the bill a few months later it was double of what it had said it was going to be, so I called and gotr the run around from a very rude little snit...so, after I got no place with her I paid the bill in full and guess what I got yet another bill for 69.13 for what? So, now I am in a war with this joke of a company..what a mess, my advise is not to even mess with this company they rip you off and charge you for God knows what..after you pay a bill in full it is paid off and one other thing...I told her I wanted to close my account and she became even more of a snit then she was being during my call it the "customer service number" cutsomer service my ass..She was telling me that I was dumb to close my accout and I told her that I was dumb for having open the account in the first place. That is how I find this extra amount hard to figure out the account was closed and paid in full???? Stay away from these people..

How to Recognize a Foreclosure Scam