Benjamin Franklin Plumbing

Terrible service

Benjamin Franklin Plumbing
Recently, after a break in our local water main, we had fine sand and gravel clogging our plumbing fixtures. I took apart our Delta kitchen faucet (which had been working fine before this), and when I reinstalled it, I couldn't get it to stop leaking.

The next day my wife called Benjamin Franklin after our other choices could not come that day. Turns out he sold my wife a $420 new faucet (including installation). He wrote comparison quotes of "vintage rebuild" (probably a $12.00 Delta repair kit plus labor) for $369. Of course my wife went for the new faucet for just $51 more. He also wrote out a quote list for a replacement toilet ($493), change laundry faucet ($280), and laundry faucet with utility tub ($737). I fixed our toilets by getting the sand out of the lines. I fixed our laundry tub with a $26 faucet set.

I chalked the kitchen faucet up to "live and learn." But then the water flow drastically reduced. The same plumber came out again. His words to my wife were (and I'm not kidding): "Haven't you heard of 'Go Green?' His point was that this is an environmentally friendly water-saving faucet. Bull! Nobody would consider this normal functioning. I'm calling tomorrow to cash in on my 100% satisfaction guarantee. I am really pissed. I don't care if they are on time--this is a scam aimed at selling naive people overpriced products and services they don't even need.
Complaint comments Comments (6) Complaint country United States Complaint category Plumbing Services

8th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was a manager and senior service technician with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing and spent quite a bit of time in their quote on quote sales and marketing training, Ben 101, new franchisee, and annual conventions. Oh what was the ladies name... ellen roarke or something like that, point is this franchise takes naive already established business owners and remolds them into a money hungry overcharging by extreme measures is okay machines pumping out money and creating bad reputations for these poor souls that are doing themselves and their communities injustice. Fact is The CEO's of ben franklin have previously created many scam franchises with the whole intent of building a franchise to sell on the big market and start a different one. They are not plumbers or customers, never have been never will be. They are money hungry wall street pirates. With that said, I have been in the system and took quite a few years to warn other upcoming franchisee's and would never support, associate with or ever be involved in such a destructive organization. By the way, it costs about 35, 000 to join and 7% proceeds to stay in and if you don't sell sccording to their sales guide they will steal your money and kick you out. They can paint pretty pictures of what they do all day long but beneath it all is a sleeping dragon. Don't ever let them in your home!!! By the way, my well established company would have done your job for under $100.00
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
Charged $230 to screw on an $8 piece of tubing under my sink. Deducted $100 from the previous quote since he didn't have to run a new water supply to the ice maker and cut holes in the cabinet. Plumbing should not be a negotiation. Overpriced, full of gimmicks. Pricing is screwy and not based on parts or time - not itemized. Do not call them or their affiliate companies. The company is a rip-off and a scam!
 21st of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
After going down to our basement one morning to do laundry we noticed a large amount of water on our floor. After trying the drain snake thing and not unclogging it, we found that we needed a plumber. We called Benjamin Franklin plumbing. What a mistake. After more than $200 just to unclog the drain and the guy doing a TON of sales pitches, we found water in our basement again the next night. When we called Benjamin Franklin Plumbing they wanted to charge us for another full service call. I highly recommend avoiding Benjamin Franklin Plumbing at ALL COSTS! At least in Cedar Rapids IA!!!
 19th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
Terribly deceptive company. When you call to have a sevice tech come out, they DO tell you the service fee is $50.00. HOWEVER, if you inquire about the range of fees for a repair, they claim to just be the "dispatch service" and can't give you an estimate to have a dishwasher installed (NOT repaired). When the plumber arrived, he took one look at the dishwasher and told us the cost to install would be $350.00. YES, $350.00 - 1/2 the cost of the dishwasher! I couldn't believe it! I told him if I had known how much it would cost, I would have saved him the trip out. He was very apologetic and explained how we could hook it up ourselves. Of course, we didn't do it and called someone else but I was pretty pissed. A total waste of $50.00. I called the company and spoke to the regional manager, who was also surprised at the high cost of a standard install. He said he would look into it and call me back. He did, and here's what he said: Benjamin Franklin contracts with different companies and they don't KNOW how much a standard install is b/c is varies from company to company. He agreed that $350.00 was high but explained that Benjamin Franklin has no control over the fee. He was polite and responsive - good customer service. In the end, we were just out $50.00. PLEASE save your money and go with a company who will give you an estimate or range of costs over the phone! Good luck!
 23rd of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
Well what if you call a plumber for a price over the phone and he tells you lets say for example 150 to fix whatever you asked. You say ok and he gets there only to realize that the price he quoted over the phone was horribly low and wants to raise the price to 550 because whatever happened (pipes were rotten, crawlspace to access plumbing, water pressure too high, drain waste and vent not legal) etc. Is it more fair to give a low price over the phone just to get the job? Or do you prefer a company to come out and professionally assess the situation and give you an accurate price, while still giving you a choice at the end whether to proceed with any work or not.
What do people really want from a plumber. Take any talk about money out of the equation and what do you want with plumbing service. Fairness, honesty, safety, satisfaction, truthfulness, probably some others: consider this

Plumber A : charges 200 dollars an hour, whoa, outrageous right. But lets say he is really good, clean, courteous, fair, everything goes smooth, job takes him 2 hours. Total: 400.00 He was fast and performed at the top of his game because he came prepared, his truck had all the parts, his tools are up to date, his office staff are on top of their game and got him there on time. But the homeowner concerned about time rushed the plumber out of the home before he could clean up because he or she didnt want to pay for the extra time Probably not the best experience for the homeowner who just experienced a lot of stress about the bill...
Plumber B: charges 50 dollars an hour, whoa plumber A is way out of the park. but wait, plumber B took 8 hours to complete the same job. Total 400.00, his truck was a disaster, his parts were used, dented, had to leave the house to or three times to "get more parts"(chat at the wholesale house). the homeowner is still watching the clock and worried about the price, is starting to loose trust in the ability of plumber B's ability to complete the job, this guy must have barely passed his license test because plumbers advertise there test score on their trucks right...wrong, , is this good or bad
Plumber C: charges by the job. He arrives in a noticeably clean truck, is ontime and assesses the situation upon arrival, After discussing options the homeowner is given choices between minor repair for 200, major repair for 400, and full replacement for 1000. deciding that the replacement didn't seem necessary, the homeowner decides on the middle of the road option for whoa 400. The plumber performs the job professionally and in a timely manner, but realizes a part he needs was not normally stocked on his truck, so he has to run and get the part and then finish the job. Meanwhile, the homeowner already knows what the price will be at the end of the job, regardless of how long it takes or what misfortune the plumber runs into during the course of the job. In this case the plumber had to leave and may not have expected to. This unknown was not added at the end nor did the price change, and lets say the total time was 3 hours.

Which plumber would you hire? In all cases the bill was the same, but what is your time worth, what is your patience worth, what is your plumber worth, the only one that gave you an option or any sort of choice was plumber C. What if plumber A took three hours for you and one hour for your neighbor for an identical task, is the hourly way truly fair, of course not. Phone shopping is not in your best interest, Call, have someone come out, and give you repair/replacement options with the price, not an hourly or time and material rate
 23rd of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am maybe the newest victim of BF Plumbing They "had to" remove my toilet to get to a leak in a pipe. Then they reinstall the toilet and it runs continually when we called them back they wanted to charge us another fee of $331 Not to mention that the work they initially did they overcharged me by maybe 250% I will never again use their services and I am considering taking them to small claims court...

Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Logo Benjamin Franklin Plumbing