Bench Craft Company

Awful company, masters of scams!

Bench Craft Company
1543 SW Alder St
Portland, Oregon
Phone: 503-221-0022
Bench Craft Company victimizes customers and takes unethical and fraudulent sales practices to a new low. February 2007, a friend of mine was solicited via the telephone for the purchase of advertising space on a course scorecard. My friend opted to participate in the advertising offer, which was to begin May 2007.

In May, the advertising did not appear in the scorecard. The Bench Craft Company sales manager, Mark Hogan, said that the ad would be present in the following month (June).

In June, again the ad was not present. Mr. Hogan again said that the scorecard ad would arrive in July. Again, in July the scorecards arrived, however, the paid ad was not present. Again, Mark Hogan said that by August 2007, the ad would be printed into the scorecards. The advertisement was not printed in August a full 3 months later than promised.

A request for a refund, since the valuable summer golfing opportunity had passed, was refused. In September, my friend's credit card company entered Bench Craft Company in arbitration. Bench Craft Company lost. Instead of either printing the ad or refunding the amount, an additional $400 was billed on top of the $350 for the ad.

Bench Craft Company claims that a refund is against their policy as stated in their contract. My friend responded to Bench Craft Company that a contract was never provided. Bench Craft Company denied this and provided my friend with a contract with someone else's name on it.

This story gets worse. September, October, November, December 2007 passed with no ad. Every month Bench Craft Company refusing to either print the ad or provide a refund.

It is now March 3, 2008, a full year later. Instead refunding a customer, they sent the cost of the ad plus the additional cost of the arbitration they lost to collection with the aim to ruin a customer's credit.

I noticed Bench Craft Company has quite a long list of complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau. I can see why. The company supports questionable sales tactics, does not deliver on their services as promised, is dishonest about the agreement a customer enters into and attempts to cause harm. How do they live with themselves?
Complaint comments Comments (45) Complaint country United States Complaint category Telemarketing
Was the above complaint useful?

9th of May, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I too was "slammed" by Benchcraft. I am in my first year with a new business and was approached by Benchcraft via telephone re advertising space in a pamphlet on our lcoal golf course. I told James Childress I was interested but I would call him back after speaking to my father in law who is a local golfter. After speaking with my father, I phoned James Childress (Benchcraft) and he was on the phone. (Surprise...) I never got a call back but assumed it was a no go. A few days later I rec'd a "paid" reciept with art copy on the mail for this same ad. I phoned Benchcraft at which time James Childress said he did not "slam" me. I made no reference to being slammed to beigin with. I'm thinking because I already had paid for another advertising campaign they had my CC nfo on file and that is where they go it from. My "contract" has "ok pe phone". I was PISSED! $399 on my American Express card! I called AE and they researched it and sided with Benchcraft. Whatever! Not even a valid contract. This company needs to be looked into for fraudulant tactics.
 11th of Jun, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I have been in a dispute with this company since April 2008 over a verbal communication where a written contract was not available for review before they charged my credit card for a golf scorecard in Reno, Nevada. The written contract price did not match the verbal quote, and I subsequently filed and won a dispute through Chase Card Services. This company has behaved in a very unprofessional, threatening and harrassing manner throughout my dealings with them. I have subsequently filed a complaint with the BBB that handles the Portland, Washington and Alaska regions. Beware this company...I have passed this information on to the other Realtors in town. Contact me for further details BEFORE you give your credit card information to this company...775-771-4171
 1st of Jul, 2008 by    +1 Votes
You're just seeing the tip of the iceberg. Check the following blog for additional input from many many others who have been defrauded.

7th of Jul, 2008 by    +1 Votes
These guys are total scam artist they charged us without providing any paperwork and when we requested a refund we were told they don't do refunds because we bought advertising. I told him the order was placed one business day ago and asked him if they printed over the 4th of july weekend. They won't even start for months if it ever gets done. As it stands I am speaking with a supervisor and if that fails I will take it up with the credit card companies.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
Dear Fellow Americans,

I've been in business for 20 years + and a vast majority of my work comes of my business comes from word of mouth.

Since 911 I have been bombarded with advertisers. Tried a few. None of them worked.
I highly advise to any one "BEFORE" you spend money advertising. Call their current advertisers (whom are in your category or associated categories) and ask if their advertising is generating income. Don't ask if it is paying for itself. You're not in the business to pay them. You're in business to make money. Not make enough to pay advertisers. There is no profit in making just enough to pay for advertising. Ask instead if it is turning a good profit for them.

As for Bench Craft (or is it Benchcraft?) advertising? Their sales people are very slick. Too polished at selling with high pressured tactics. Philip (800-824-8311 ext 272) called me several times until he made a pest of himself. I won't be advertising with them. It's a waste of my time.

By the way - Here's the guarantee on my website:
About Bidding or Quoting
- It's unfair TO YOU if other DJ's charge the same; YET, offer far less than Jeff !
...If they are bidding less they are offering less! Does anybody want to lay cash on it?
That's why I have a video demo available. “Taste it before you buy it”.
I'm one of the best Entertainers available in California & I'll prove it if necessary. I will pay any one $100.00(for 2 hours of your time) if you can show me any one whom can match my services, skills, talent & equipment. All they have to do is pass a 75 question quiz. If any other DJ can pass my test I’ll increase your $100 to $1, 000.00 if they pass each question on my comparison test at my office. And, I'll pay the DJ $50 if he can pass my comparison test too. Just think if I’m an idiot? I’ll have to pay you $1, 050 to admit it.
You’ll find this on my website www.DJJeff.com
 24th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
these complaints make up for about 2% of total sales and I have spoken with many companys that were very happy with the service they were provided, , , guess thats why they have a 88% renewal rate..!!golf course advertising does work...!!
 8th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
Warning. Make sure your sales rep writes down on a contract a guaranteed date for delivery and if they do not meet that date, cancel the contract in writing and call your credit company to cancel the charge.

Bench Craft has an aggressive telemarketing team that will tell you anything to get the sale. I was told the specific holes that were "available now" for bench signs or tee signs. I selected three on two courses with an incentive for two years worth of signs. This was in February 2008. After multiple attempts to get action enough was enough and in November, I called to request a refund and cancel the order. I sent a letter to the president and called my credit card company to reverse the charges. In November through January, they reacted and finally got the signs up (that I had canceled and no longer wanted. Because the contract (remember this was a phone sale) did not have a guaranteed date of delivery, the credit card company could not find in my favor.

I am very upset and will never do business with them again.
 12th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes

Bench Craft Company - Worst of rip-offs

bench crap company should be there name, a 100% rip-off company, i have been promised a bench for one year now, i call just to hear how stupid the next excuse is. Buying stock in todays market is safer than talking to this company, buyer beware!
 23rd of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes

Bench Craft Company - Fraudulent sales for advertising
Moore Construction Mgmt

Bench Craft sold Golf course guide advertising to me 8-08. I checked to see if the work was done, found they did not have an ageement w/ the golf course and had not done the advertising . Bench Craft has refused to refund . I was scammed.
 6th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
Then call your visa mc company and get your money back.
 8th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have a great story about benchcraft coming soon.
I am finalizing all of the details, conversations and witnesses and boy is this going to be informative.
stay tuned folks...
 20th of Jan, 2010 by    +2 Votes
The Bench Craft Co. is nothing but a scam! BEWARE of these people!! DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR DEBIT OR CC NUMBERS!!!We have acually been stalked by a rep named "Greg" to the point of reporting him to the police.If you talk to them on the phone, they will try to weasel your debit or cc number, THEN they will claim you made a contract with them!
 23rd of Mar, 2010 by    +2 Votes
I was charged along with many other small businesses in my community for a sign that was supposed to be on a scoreboard in 2009. We never saw the signs. This year they charged my credit card again $399.00. And I am disputing it. Hope I can resolve it quickly.
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by    -2 Votes
I used BenchCraft for a course in NE Ohio and the ad was up in 30 days. My staff has been instructed to ask our customers where they saw us at, and many are replying from the golf course. I have actually placed even more ads with them! They were very professional AND did what they said they were going to do!
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by    -2 Votes
Honestly - I think some of this is highly excaggerated. I did some checking into myself. I called more than one golf course and they ALL had nothing but great things to say about the company. If they were scamming people, the golf courses would NOT be doing business with them!!! Come on people!
 5th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
My story reads like many others here. Caveat emptor I suppose. These guys have figured out a system that protects them from the consequences of their bad behavior. I'm seeking redress through my credit card company, and will work to make sure they never do business in my town again. Now I know what it feels like to be hustled. Ew.

3rd of Aug, 2010 by    +1 Votes
(503) 221-002
I worked for benchcraft for 9 months (a veteran by Bench Craft standards). This company does provide golf course advertising eventually if at all. All sales people are trained to say 6-8 weeks for your advertisement or sponsorship arrives at the course with most of the time it does. However 6-8 weeks is not realistic, it can take 4 months to 2 years for it to get there. Sometimes the advertisement doesn't even make it to the course do to over booking and shady tactics. Bench Craft sometimes gambles with it and doesn't ever put it on the course till or if the client even notices. Also most of the time the company saws you will have an "exclusive" for your business meaning that ie you will be the only Insurance rep on the scorecard for one year, but really they mean to say you will 1 insurance agent among 30 other insurance agents advertising on the scorecard. My recommendation is to put that $400 or the so called $375 manager special money towards other advertising, or just throw it out the window. The reason why Bench Craft Sales people are so aggresive is the company pays out daily cash (not reported to the IRS) to its sales people for getting deals, some sales people walk out with over $300 cash after a hard day of lying. I sold my sole for to long
 10th of Aug, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Same problem here. I signed up/paid for 4 different golf courses here in Phoenix and it was not quite a year before I was able to verify only two of the advertisements out of the 4. For almost a year I had to keep calling back to check on these ads and complain. These people will vehemently lie to you, string you along, and do everything they can to get your money. They are professional con artist under cool and try to present themselves as a reputable company but in reality they are just the opposite.
And keep in mind that they come on here as stealth customers trying to argue the facts and trying to make this company look good. I assure you, I contacted every person on every scorecard and map and not ONE of them have anything good to say about this company. In fact, just the opposite-they all had problems with their ads being printed up to a year after the time frame they were told.
Is there anything that all of us, together, can do about this?
 18th of Sep, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Thank you all. I was called by them today and after reading your comments, I saved my self money and headachache by not working with them. I knew something was up when " Eryn" said we have sold all but two flags on the course and one of them is the 1st course! Ya right. No ligit marketing company would do that. Also, no ligit marketing co would pressure you for an answer the same day. Most would pressnt thre deal and let you decide in due time.

Thanks all! :)
 22nd of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes

Bench Craft Company - a bit slow
bench craft company

bench craft is a great company actually. i got so many referals from my ad. it was amazing... now see how stupid this site is? it posts anything about anyone. DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING ON COMPLAINTS BOARD

Contact Us