Art Karat

Violation of FCC Cooling-Off Rule

Art Karat
331 West 57th Street #199
New York, New York
Art Karat executed a illegal sales contract as per FTC (Federal Trade Commission) Cooling-off Rule rule.The Federal Trade Commission's (FTC's) Cooling-Off Rule gives you three days to cancel purchases of $25 or more if you buy an item in your home or at a location that is not the seller's permanent place of business. Under the Cooling-Off Rule, the salesperson must tell you about your cancellation rights at the time of sale. The salesperson also must give you two copies of a cancellation form (one to keep and one to send) and a copy of your contract or receipt. The FCC rule can be seen here:

Art Karat did none of the above, it sold a order to customize Jewelry to my wife in a hotel exhibition (located far away from its business location in New York) and specified a illegal (as per above FTC rule) "no-return" policy in its sales contract. Neither did it inform my wife of her cancellation rights or provide her with cancellation forms. When my wife tried to cancel the contract (within 24 hours in fact), its representatives simply refused even though the contract was illegal. I complained to my credit card company and referred to the FCC rule. The credit card company subsequently ruled in my favor.

I would suggest to all those who have been victimized by Art Karat's violation of FCC rule on the cooling off period should ask for a refund from there credit card companies. The credit card companies are under contractual obligation to rule in your favor in case of illegal transactions such as this one conducted by Art Karat. One can also take Art Karat to small claims court to get a refund.
Was the above complaint useful?

12th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
I also wish to add that Art Karat charged my Credit Card immediately upon placement of an order (they did not have the pieces we were looking for and they were supposed to be mailed with three to four weeks). In fact they should have charged my credit card only when they were ready to mail the pieces. The pieces were not mailed for months and were mailed piecemeal and not all together after many phone calls. They had my money for months before we really got the jewellery. The chains have turned black, though they promise that they will polish it for free. I wonder how long will that take.
 25th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
I had a similar experience with Art Karat. My friend and I went to a Art Karat exhibition where we liked some pieces. They somehow convinced my friend to buy $3, 000 plus worth of product and immediately had her write a check in that amount. 15 minutes later when she decided to cancel her order, the representative refused to return the check or cancel the order. To make matters worse, they took 6 weeks to send products and the products were wrong, so they took another 4 weeks to replace and correct their errors. I truly believe Art karat is a bunch of scam artists, and they not be allowed to sell in US if they cannot follow US rules!!! And to top it off, their products are not even worth the price they charge.
 1st of Oct, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Art Karat sell their pieces based on their photos, I think all the credit should go to the photographer. I ordered few pieces from Art Karat, all those did not look as they were in photos. The gold color really looked cheap. I called them to replace them, they said that I can only exchange but can't get my money back. I know the gemstones are real, but I did not like the gold plating. Nowadays there are lot of 1 gram gold jewelry(which really look good) available in India. I think it's better to buy those.
 5th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Thanks for posting these comments. The jewellery in the photos on their website looks very pretty and I was tempted to buy it when I came across the comments. Makes you think twice about it.
 3rd of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
Art Karat has horrible service. I NEVER wore my jewelry and sent it into the NJ office to get repolished - Not only did I tell them I needed it back by April 10th, they never sent it and then said they will mail it before April 23rd. Well guess what that friday they said i would get it by the following week when I specifically said it was for my wedding that was that weekend. It got shipped overnight and came but without the original packaging i sent. I keep calling now to get the box I sent it in since I paid postage to have it safely sent. I did not get the box yet and am waiting to see how long it takes - They do not take care of your jewelry and are a bunch of snakes - dont use them! There is other jewelry in India that is 100 times nicer!!!
 11th of Dec, 2011 by    0 Votes
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT. Art Karat jewelry is simply BEAUTIFUL. ART KARAT makes me feel so proud that it is from India. I don't think there is anybody as creative as these guys. I love the customer service girls in NY. i have ordered with them at least 8 times and every time I have been extremely happy with the art karat quality and designs. In fact the life time maintanenance policy is unparalleled. other jewellers don't even look at their jewelry once they sell them and these guys go out of the way to have it taken care of. I have so many friends who have bought from art karat and just love their stuff. There must be some reason that art karat is so famous, LOVE U ART KARAT.
 29th of Mar, 2012 by    0 Votes
I bought 2 small necklace-earing sets from AK @ their LA show few years back..I had not worn either set and they turned black just keeping it inside the case they had provided...If sets are gold plated over Silver how can they turn black? they never notified customer about this..I proactively went to their next show in LA and approached them..They agreed to exchange for another item.. oh well the item I exchanged for w/o even wearing it once earings broke.. Poor cheap product they sell. I have returned items to their NY ofc since May 2011 for refund of money. I am not interested in any of their products as I have lost confidence and faith in their products and company. I have sent items via certified mail, Many phone calls and emails to the owner Saket has not been returned by.. Not sure what to do but will have to make a complaint with BBB. This company needs to be out of business atleast in US. They are selling cheap products or broken-fixed old used products who knows..I have yet to receive any response from the owner..I do not care to talk to their customer service mgr who has called me but this is escalated since last may. I have my $650 lost and no item in my hand.
 9th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
BTW after writing here I get an email from same customer rep Amy...But not repsonding to emails...Mr. Modi is not responding to emails or complains..why show they have good customer service..Bunch of liars..
 18th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I had the similar experience bad experience with ART CARAT.They send me a cheap quality product.The necklaces i purchased from them the stone are cheeped and discoloured.I didn't send them back by mail because i have no faith of them.I am planing to confront them during the show and that's why i did some research on the product.i took their product to the local jewellery store to check if the product is real silver and my suspicion became real, in that necklacess there is no tress of silver at all.Any advise what should i do if they refuse to refund me my money.
 24th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I don't know about others but I have had my best experience ever shopping at Art Karat. The best designs and excellent service. I have ordered a few times and the product has reached me sooner than promised. Any problem and their customer service reps are ever ready to rectify the problem. Shopped with many others but have never had better service. And the best part every one always has appreciated every piece of Art Karat I ever wear. Make me a proud owner of beautiful creation.
 2nd of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
Be careful with payments. Only pay when they have the stock. You will wait more than 3 months for whatever you pay for which you like and they don't have in stock. I am undergoing that treatment from them now and making a complaint with the Small Claims Tribunal Singapore soon. What's worse is the cheek of their staff members when you call in and they tell you not to worry and you will receive package in few days and this never happens. Ladies beware of these BluffMasters! Like they say in Singapore 'Belum kena Belum tahu'. Please be informed this saying I quoted is in the Malay language and it simply means "not inflicted not informed'. Now I have been inflicted and I know. Cheers ladies and Gentlemen!
 3rd of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
today I went to fremont ca Art Karat exhibition. the catalougue earrings I purchased $290
she writes a reciept with extra $25 ( writes it as qty no 2) I ask her what is it? she says it is income tax. They are cheating . I come online try to order the same thing online, I had to pay only $290. which means they cheated me $25 . will never again buy from an exhibition. those black suited ladies just take you money, cheat you off extra money and disappear
 27th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
I am extremely disappointed with Art Karat and their customer service. I went to their exhibition in December 2012 and really liked a pair of ear rings. They had a final piece and refused to sell it, also there were defects in the piece itself. They placed an order right there and charged me immediately. I received my package after 9 weeks and it was a defectively piece. After I wrote to the customer service, they asked me to send it to their NJ office and me to pay for shipping. I waited for their event which was scheduled for May 2013. I was told that I could pick from a couple of pair that they have in the exhibition but they had none. Again, they placed an order online and took my piece away. I received the 2nd shipment now and still there is defect in one of the ear rings. I am totally angry and disappointed. Will never shop there and will not recommend it to anyone. Art Karat cheats people.
 2nd of Oct, 2013 by    0 Votes
 4th of Oct, 2013 by    -1 Votes
9 out of 10 reviews I read make me think twice to make a purchase from Art Karat. This is truly eye opening to me as I was just about to step out to the Exhibition in town to buy a necklace set. I'm astonished. Thank you all, ladies and gentlemen for sharing your experiences.
 8th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
yesterday i got my first purchase form art karat. i simply love my earrings. the sales ladies were very helpful and courteous. Thank you art karat.
 25th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
Thank you for my daughters wedding jewelry. Thank you for making the best day of our lives. I will try and post pictures on your Facebook page.

All smiles :)))))))))))))
 16th of Jul, 2014 by    0 Votes
Its a fake store, there is no art karat at the above said address. Its a scam. Beware, search the internet before buying any thing. you will find out that this is a fraud company. There is no one in that location. Have called numerous times. No result. Go there physically, you will see.
 20th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
Art Karat has terrible customer service. It has been 10 weeks & i still havent received my order, yet they processed payment upon placing the order. Have e-mailed their customer department several times and have not received any reply from them. The product quality is poor yet they charge a ridiculous amount for fake crap. Dont recommend them at all.

Art Karat International Ltd. Inc. Logo Art Karat International Ltd. Inc.
Customer Care Service