logo

ARI Holiday Network

Posted:    Brad

Unlimited fees

ARI Holiday Network
We purchased a Timeshare from ARI Holiday Network back in 1994, shortly there after fees begin to ascend. In 1999 they implemented new admin fees.
With poor to non existent customer service and fees escalating out of control, We decided to abandon ship.
Not only did We loose our timeshare but to this day collection agencies harass Us for back fees, to the point that a Lien is now on our property.
If anybody knows of a class action suit, Please let me know. There was one filed in Cook county in 2008 for unjust fees, but I don't know if it is still ongoing.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Jul, 2009 by   TraciM 0 Votes
Hi. We too have a timeshare from ARI and would like to stop payment as well and cut our loses. Did they put a lien against your home? How bad has it gotten? Did you consult a Lawyer?
 11th of Jul, 2009 by   KristiPaints 0 Votes
Same here! I've paid those suckers THOUSANDS of dollars & the fees were never ending! And the real sucker punch is I NEVER USED IT! I bought the damn thing with my ex husband when I was in my early twenties. Never knew how to use it & it was never really explained to me HOW to use it either ... even though I asked several times on the phone ... never got a straight answer! So. after they raised my fees to over $25 a month & told me the only place I could use it was at one of two places in SWITZERLAND ... I bailed. They WILL NOT get another dime out of me. It's on my credit report too ... first time THAT has happened in my life but it can just sit there. SCREW ARI! 7/11/09 - KristiPaints@yahoo.com
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   Timeshare Rookie 0 Votes
We bought in 1998, unaware of the whole timeshare world. It sounded good, and their "home" resorts were 2 in the Caribbean, and to in Austria. They sold to us as if we had red time (good time) but it was for every other year.

Well, one year later we found out that they dropped their Caribbean resorts, and now the home ones were only in Austria. By then we also heard of a lot more timeshare opportunities, each one much better than theirs. I kick myself each time I think of buying from them.

Anyway, we paid off our timeshare, used an exchange once or twice, but haven't used it since maybe 2001. They disappeared off the map for a few years, and when we finally found them and tried to contact them, all we got was a payment book sent to us for maintenance fees and calls from the collection agency trying to collect them. I still haven't been able to talk to the actual company, but I also am no longer interested in doing so.

I stopped using the timeshare, and will not pay for maintenance fees anymore. We don't have a deed, so they can't place a lien on anything, but it is on my credit report for one of the big three agencies. No matter--I just bought a new house with a great interest rate regardless.

ARI is welcome to "foreclose" on my "property" and sell it, but there is absolutely NO WAY they will get a penny more out of me for maintenance fees.
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   safarigal 0 Votes
I am so furious with them too. We bought in 1994 and were only able to use it twice. We have faithfully paid the full amount on the coupon book each year. Today we got a notice from a collection agency, dated February 11th, stating that their efforts to contact us regarding our delinquent $60.38 fee have been unsuccessful and that our account is seriously delinquent and it appears that we may be experiencing financial difficulties. We usually receive our coupon book in January, and I must admit that I had not noticed that it had not arrived in the mail, still I think it is a bit much to go to a collection agency when at the most the bill is 11 days overdue. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   Schu 0 Votes
How do you get in touch with them, all I have is an address.
 21st of Mar, 2010 by   davidib 0 Votes
Is anyone interested in literally picketing outside of their offices in OakBrook Terrace? For example, picket on the evenings when they hold their sales pitches? It seems this is the only leverage we have with scoundrels like these. In addition, there's strength in numbers. If we pool our resources, I think we'd have a much better chance of getting these #$%^!@ off our backs and out of our lives

BTW: the phone number is 866.625.6388
web site is www.resortintervals.com
 30th of Mar, 2010 by   vkambham 0 Votes
I am in the same boat. I purchased the alternate year timeshare like couple of other folks did here in 1995. I probably used it twice and then I started experiencing the same issues. They never had openings when we wanted and customer service was terrible. Plus they increased maintenance fees. I stopped paying them maintenance fees starting 2003 when they reduced the home network options and fees started escalating.
They have gotten on my credit report as well and I want to fight them tooth and nail on it but I don't want to pay them because they are running a fraud operation. I am willing to join any action against this company. There are probably several more like us.
 2nd of Apr, 2010 by   Budg-e 0 Votes
Has anyone thought about contacting the Illinois Attorney General's Office. It is my understanding that in the U.S. a "membership" or "stock" or whatever the heck it is they want to call it, can be cancelled at anytime, as long as there are no outstanding fees owed, i.e. back mortgage, taxes, or maintenance fees. I know many of the resorts in the Carribbean and Mexico have had to start allowing this because of pressure from the government. There are a couple of timeshare companies out in Nevada that have done this, as well. (Perennial Vacation Club and Club QM).
 24th of Sep, 2010 by   jwddddd 0 Votes
Well i am glad to see more like myself having trouble with ari. i opted out in 2006, and was suppose to receive papers to fill out for that opt out. Well low and behold no papers forth coming. it is now 2010 and they are wanting more money still, but wont give me any paper work, because instead of opting you out they apply it to what is owed and send you another coupon book. I never thought to report it to the attorney general in Illinois, but as soon as i do this post i will. Its a shame that you have greedy people like this out there. So beware if it isn't in writing from ari then it wont be legit.
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   DecadentWolf 0 Votes
I cannot believe that I found this board and I am not alone on all of the same issues. I bought back in 1995? I wanted to get-out within five days of going to one of their fake prize/sell events. At that time, their main sales guy, Larry Jackal, agreed to see me and then instead of letting me out - he just sold me down into a every other year timeshare program. I was naive. I explained to him that I would never go to Austria and that the only resort that interested me was the one they had in Antigua. I paid maintenance fees regularly and lo and behold - I finally decide to use the timeshare and it no longer existed. I was told instead that "there were plenty of available time share resorts in the Caribbean - if I used my Interval International membership - additional costs and then got no service until I complained and they gave me a week in Orlando. After that, I used it twice - through Interval International but never received any kind of communication from ARI/Resorts Intervals. They seemed to have fallen off the map. In fact, by 2006, I had called and asked why I didn't receive any notifications from a company I bought a timeshare from - including any all important cut-off date for the year and I got some untrained girl that immediately transferred me to Alain Carr. This man was a real jerk. I began to ask him about the poor communication that caused me to lose a week and he immediately cut me off and said that I was just ticked off and wanted a week. He was extremely rude and had a real nasty tone despite his position at this company. I then decided that was unacceptable and took the time to write a lengthy letter to his boss, Mr. Tom Lupina, on 12/27/06 about my concerns of being treated like dirt eventhough I paid for this timeshare and was at the time paying maintenance fees. Guess what? No response whatsoever. I then decided to no longer pay these guys any maintenance fees until they communicated with me. Guess what - they never - ever reached out. The only thing they did when they moved their offices for a third time was get in bed with Sonnenschein Financial Services or maybe this collection agency is a shell company for ARI as they conveninetly have the same address. Sonnenschein keeps sending those stupid - you must be having financial difficulty letters to this day but no one at either company has ever stopped to ask - what seems to be the problem here. Just robocalls and snail mail litter. If anyone wants to pursue action against these thieves, let me know. They need to be tried on a federal circuit court system and not just in Illinois where they flim flammed me.
 30th of Dec, 2010 by   Fran1011 0 Votes
We purchased the same so called timeshare back in the early 90's. What a mistake. We cannot sell this invisible timeshare and they will not stop charging the fees. We were told if we don't pay we will be taken to collections. We only used this twice and it is not worth the time of day. If a class action lawsuit is underway I am in. I called and spoke to Alain Carr and like the above post he was a real jerk. He made me feel like a piece of dirt - could not get anyplace with this so called man. Something has to be done with these people.
 1st of Mar, 2012 by   Lucky2011 0 Votes
The Lawsuit is still pending... check below Lawyer's website:

14th of Sep, 2012 by   Curly4682 0 Votes
I checked the website but the lawsuit was not listed. Has it already been decided? I would've liked to have joined.
 26th of Oct, 2012 by   chris1926 0 Votes
I too have paid ARI for years. Stopped paying them three years ago after sending them notification of cancelling "membership". Never heard anything until supposedly several hundreds of dollars behind on fees. How can you not cancel a membership. No where did it say lifetime/eternity. Then of course the robocalls & reported to credit company by Sonnenshein. The actual contract was paid off in 1997. I too would like to sue them for misrepresentation, harrassment, & no use of product. If there is a lawsuit in process please let me know ckb1926
 30th of Jan, 2013 by   PEMCO 0 Votes
I purchased my first timeshare at an ARI presentation in September 1993. After spending nearly 7 hours at the sales office, I finally purchased Gold Season every other year in a studio unit. Despite the promise of gifts for attending the presentation, I was told they were temorarily out-of-stock. In the 19 years which have followed, I have never received my free gifts. I went to their resort in Antigua once, and was assigned a unit which had not been renovated. I have never returned to an ARI resort, but have exchanged through Interval International. II exchanges have been adequate, but not exceptional (due to the fact that the ARI resorts in Austria do not have high trading power). When you deposit your timeshare interval with II, ARI determines which week will be registered with II. ARI can do this, because I purchased FLOAT time. So, rather than depositing prime ski season (early January), ARI usually designates a very undesirable week for exchange, reducing my exchange power.
 28th of Mar, 2013 by   timesharegurunot 0 Votes
I believe there is a clause in your agreement that says if you stop paying the most they can do you is take back your week/property. They recenlty tried to sell me into the points system. Don't do it. Read your agreement. Honestly I never planned on using the home resorts. I have only used it 3-4 times since I bought back in the beginning. I enjoyed the places we stayed but it was always in places it was easy to get. I however hate westgate resorts. They are nice but they try to sell you more itmeshares and they are rude. I am never going back to Westgate.
 24th of Jun, 2013 by   Dymondeb 0 Votes
Like all of you, I purchased back in the early 90's, 1994. I've used the membership 2 or 3 times and paid it off. I continued to get payment books and maintenance fees went up when the resorts were improperly managed and not maintained. I stayed at the Antigua resort many years ago and it was terrible. We spent all of our time at the resort next door. I used Interval for 2 exchanges and then I started calling to cancel my membership. Like many of you, I couldn't find ARI's phone number or get in touch with a human when I did find a phone number. When I did finally talk to a person, he belittled me and was completely rude.

I recently talked to Joe at ARI, who informed me that the only way for me to disolve my relationship with ARI was to sell my membership, which makes no sense. I don't have a deed or any ownership. However, he was ready with an email and 4 attached forms within seconds of our phone call. When I emailed him back and informed him that I needed help with more information to sell my membership, nothing! Not a word! No informaiton on what type of unit I own, etc. At the time, I didn't think I had any paperwork left from way back then. However, during our recent move, I uncovered my folder including my original paperwork and contract.

I also checked out the class action lawsuit and did not see ARI listed on the law firm's website, but have a call into them. If I find anything out regarding the classaction lawsuit, I will repost here letting you all know. If nothing transpires from the law firm, I will be calling the IL Attorney Generals Office. I also found out during our recent home purchase that after non-payment of fees for the past several years, ARI has attached to my credit report. These scum bags need to pay up and go to jail! They are insects infecting way too many families!
 26th of Jul, 2013 by   Trojangal 0 Votes
Any updates on ARI & any potential lawsuits against them ?

I actually inherited my unit from an aunt & have a stock certificate for my shares in ARI no deed that I know of. Since ARI does business here, is registered as a corporation in Delaware & the property is in Austria how does any legal challenge work?

What is confusing is if these are truly "stocks " & not "deeded" property you shouldn't have to pay maintaince fees for eternity . There has to be a way to cancel or give back your stocks if you can't sell them. From what I have read some countries like Spain now limit the term of these contracts to a certain # of years . So even if you can't sell your shares or membership it has an expiration date.
 21st of Aug, 2013 by   Fran1011 +2 Votes
Just contacted the attorney generals office in Illinois. Owned this for 17 years and now with financial difficulties and used only 5 times need to cancel membership. ARI will not respond, send certified letter stating that I wanted to cancel membership. Just letters from "sister company" Sonnenschein Financial. This is a scam they are running and need to be stopped. If more contact the Attorney General and BBB we can have a say in this scam.
 22nd of Aug, 2013 by   Fabienne1 0 Votes
All of you purchased a timeshare that was connected to Austria and the Carribean. I have to say, not one person on this complaints board mentioned how amazing Alpenland is with its gorgeous views, etc. Thats why I bought it in the 90s and I love it. In fact I am converting my studio to a 2 br. Granted economic times are hard, but did you ever think to actually use it instead of complaining like go to Austria. 2 amazing locations! I have 2 daughters and we go in summer and hope to go ski this year or next. The problem may be you focused on the trade rather than the property. I own a few timeshares. Own what you want to visit and trade when you can't! Simple!
Nancy