logo

1. (0 mins ago)
Geoholiday Starpoint Geo Holiday
Timeshare Fraud
2. (13 mins ago)
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD)
Illegal construction

Posted:    Peter

Fraudulent company

Amerigroup Mortgage Corporation
amerigroupmortgageusa.com
I got a solitation notice in the mail for a 'VA Mortgage Payment Reduction Program' with phone number 1-866-747-6987. I called to find out details about what the current rates were and to get a good faith estimate. They asked for my current loan balance and interest rate. They told me that I could save $390.00 per month but could not give me any details as to fees, points, etc. over the phone. They said they only take applications in person and that they would send a loan officer to my home. I specifically asked if this was a fixed rate loan, with no adjustments in interest rate after some initial period. I was told that it was a fixed rate loan. They told me that the loan officer would provide full details. They said it would take only about 15 minutes and it would be no pressure. I scheduled an appointment for the next day.

They guy showed up right on time for our appointment. I asked for some specific information regarding term of loan, points, fees, but was told that all my questions would be answered during his presentation. First red flag was that although I was told on the phone the day before that this was a fixed rate loan, it turned out to be a hydbid loan. The initial low rate was lonly guaranteed for 38 months, after which it became a variable rate loan. No other options were made available. After his hour long presentation, it was clear to me that the promise of significant savings was misleading. The points, fees, etc would add a significant amount to the existing loan balance, such that at the end of 38 months, the balance on the new loan would be about the same as it would have been under the current loan. Any savings after that point were not guaranteed.

After a round-about way of getting the information, I said I wanted to do my own calculations (I am an accountant) and that I would make a decision within a few days and get back to him. He then asked if he could have his manager talk to me, using my phone. The manager spent more of my time trying to convince me to submit an application on the spot. I was not given the opportunity to keep any of the paper with the calculations the loan officer had made.

In my opinion, this company is using misleading tactics to sell their product. As an accountant it was easy for me to see the bottom line for me. This product may work for some, but do not rely on the sales pitch to make your decision. Do your own math. Other mortgage companies I have dealt with have always been willing to fully answer questions as well as provide a good faith estimate without the hassle of sitting though a sales presentation. The loan officer was polite, but it was a waste of time, because I was not told initially that this was not a true 30 year fixed rate loan.
Comments United States Mortgage Companies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Sep, 2009 by   risenson +1 Votes
Thanks for the information! I am an old mortgage officer, and asked the same questions on the phone. In no way do I want to participate in a hybrid mortgage.

Thanks again!

Chris
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   Prouse 0 Votes
Everything listed on your above complaint is exactly as it played out for us. My husband is a Vietnam Vet that has the Purple Heart and Bronze Star medal and we cannot believe that someone or a company would fraudulently try to hurt a person that fought for his country like this. She, their representative came to our home the same as above complaint and when asked questions would not give any clear answers or explainations. The cover they gave was MIC Mortgage Investors Corporation but wanted a check to Amerigroup as a down payment. The phone number of the representative for us is 1-800-891-6678. Their address listed on the card she gave us is 6090 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, Fl. 33707.
 12th of Nov, 2009 by   rhonda hodges 0 Votes
I'm really concerned that we filled out all those "application only" papers and gave our credit card number out. The rep is coming back to close I gues which is when we can cancel right?
 15th of Nov, 2009 by   THH -1 Votes
Peter,

Thanks a ton for the heads up. Your sharing your experience with us provided us with the information we needed to call them and tell them not to come to my home. I don't want to give business to any company whatsoever that harms Veterans. There are way too many complaints out there against this entity.
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   sherran gambrell -1 Votes
Amerigroup is supposed to be coming to our house today I am glad that I looked at the Complaintsboard Amerigroup offered us on thephone a 3.5% loan with a $300 deduction in our payment I thought that was too good to be true, , , , , , , , SO, , , , , , , , has anyone located a legitimate refinance program for Veterans ?
 20th of Nov, 2009 by   MIC EMPLOYEE -3 Votes
First off our company dont hurt veterans if they hurt veterans then we wouldnt be in buisness especially for 71 years. You have to use that piece of muscle in your head called a brain and use it wisely. If we hurt veterans why would we be in buisness for 71 years? Why would we be refinancing va loans in which is government guareenteed? Why are we not closed down and not helping veterans? Hell why arent we in trouble with the government or on the news? Think people think. Are you a follower or a leader? These online comments dont mean nothing it can be someone mad at the company just posting things under different names cause they have nothing else better to do but hurt us. I can tell you this we have helped over 300 thousand veterans and have done over 2 billion loans to date this year so as far as you not wanting us to come to your house cause you believe what you hear then so be it it wont stop our money flow nor will it stop the veterans that have brains and their own opinions from getting help from us. If you know anything about your va loan the government wont even allow the loan to go through if it dont benifit you. Besides the owner of the company is a purple heart Marine veteran and has done nothing but helped his fellow veterans. Let me ask you have your banks called you and offered you a low rate? Hell no cause your dumb a** is paying a high rate and is to ignorant to try to find a lower rate. I f you bank with Wells Fargo, Bank of America or Wachovia then your being screwed they are the most dishonorable banks to be known are out here to hurt you and to only make money. The bail out that they got proves it and all that money went to helping fha and conventinal home owners. So what you need to do is think and stop listening to everyone else and go by your own experience. Be a leader not a follower thats what a real Vet does.
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   Consumer Cuidadoso -1 Votes
First of all- MIC EMPLOYEE, Great grammar and nice language. Very professional.

Secondly, almost the same thing happened to us yesterday. We made an appointment and fell for it, but luckily came to our senses today and called to cancel. Thanks for sharing!
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   Concerned Veteran -1 Votes
MIC Employee

If you aint gots da brains enuff to know how to be spellin or be talkin' I dont think you gts da brain to be tellin peoples how to be thinkin.

If you worked for me I would fire you just for talking like an idiot not to mention the swearing - not professional at all. I can't believe a fellow veteran would allow such a person to work for him. You talk of being a leader? A leader knows how to communicate. A leader does not have to belittle people to get his point accross. But probably the most important part of being a leader is that they know what they are talking about before they open their mouth (pretty obvious that you do not).

Oh and by the way... when you post to this site it even reminds to check your spelling before submitting a comment.

BTW - There are a lot of companies in business longer than yours that exist because they feed off of people in a bad way. Just because you have been doing VA loans for a long time does not mean you have been doing it in a manner that is beneficial to the veteran. The Veterans Administration in no way guarantees the company providing the loan is looking out for a veterans' best interest. They do have SOME very limited guidelines that they make the lender follow, but not to any extent that would keep the veteran from being misled or mistreated.

Learn to talk, learn to be professional, learn to lead, learn to use spell check. Then you can try to convince others of your mis-informed opinion.
 6th of Jan, 2010 by   kwajkid_1980 -1 Votes
Peter,

Thank's for the heads up. My story is the same:

They told me that the loan officer would provide full details. They said it would take only about 15 minutes and it would be no pressure. I scheduled an appointment two days later.

They guy showed up right on time for our appointment. The initial low rate was only guaranteed for 38 months, after which it became a variable rate loan. No other options were made available.

The points, fees, etc would add a significant amount to the existing loan balance (approx $10, 000). I ran the numbers in Excel. After 38 Months, I would owe $5, 073.81 more than my 30 yr fixed rate. Good thing I did not signup for this!
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   Marika G +1 Votes
Just some comments to all of the above!
I have been in the Mortgage Industry for over 25 years, with 20+ years of VA, FHA etc. underwriting experience. First and most, the MIC employee who wrote the above comment is very unprofessional and as much as I know about the current owner of the corporation, as soon as he will have knowledge of this, he or she will no longer have a position with his company.
As far as the VA streamline refinances (IRRRL-Interest Rate Reduction Refinancing Loan), it can be a great benefit to the Veteran but it depends on lot of factors.The Veterans Affair's website is giving you a lot of good tips, some of them are:
1.Veterans are strongly urged to contact several lenders. There may be big differences in the terms offered by the various lenders you contact.
2.Some lenders may say that VA requires certain closing costs to be charged and included in the loan. The only cost required by VA is a funding fee which may be paid in cash or included in the loan.
3.Any lender can help you on IRRRL, as long as they are approved.
My experience: Contact your current Lender and talk to them re: Streamline Refinance.You have your escrow account, loan information etc.already with the Lender, they should accommodate you easily and fast.
Here is the website for your information:
I wish all of you Veterans the best and thank you for your services!
Best regards:
Marika G
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   stingers113 -1 Votes
First of all, I would like to thank who posted the comments to warn fellow veterans. I received Amerigroup ad in my mail box. I planned to give them a call. After I read your comments, I felt great that I did not fall in their trap. Thanks again.
Thanks to Marika G. I like your honesty. If you are in the position to process a VA loan, I would like to work with you if it's possible. You can leave a contact mean (office phone or company web address) on this web site. I will check back here regularly.
 18th of Jan, 2010 by   Patricia goes with instinct -1 Votes
Thank you all for the comments. I knew from the instant they called it did not feel right. They wanted to come to my home even though my husband is away. They insisted that they would show ID but what good does that do me. Oh wait, I could call my mom and give a name but that too could be false. If you can not answer my questions on the phone, than you have no business coming to my home. Why wouldn't the VA loan rate be available to me the second I applied for the loan, why do I have to wait for a phone call months later. I asked two question, is the loan fixed. And what if I am to move out and rented the house in less than six months. Maybe the employees should know this. And as a matter of fact, I do not mind paying the extra 180 they quoted me to save. The economy is bad and if my extra money is going to give someone a job than it is well worth it. Plus, where is the proof that the company has been open for 71 years. If the owner is a veteran, wouldn't he either be deceased or living in a home under a nurses supervision. Go ahead and call me uneducated. That doesn't mean your getting my business /money. And just to let you know, I have a lot of military friends that respect my thoughts and what I have to say. So that is at least another 10 loans out the door. Once they start preaching what I say, it's another ten and so on. Word of mouth is a powerful thing, and the employee should have commented respectfully. I can't wait to share this information with the local news paper.
Patricia
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   Concerned Navy Vet -1 Votes
I just had the same exact experience to a tee. However, I filled out the application not knowing a 1% deposit that was required the same night. When I balked on providing the deposit without doing a couple days worth of research, both the representative and his manager (via phone) began the hard sell. At this point I asked him to leave. I found this site right away and am very thankful for everyone's comments. I will be calling tomorrow to ensure that they know there is no deal.
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   goodguyy 0 Votes
Their sales pitch was boaring, misleading and demeaning. The salesman initially compared their 30-year, 3.5% ARM "savings" using my original loan amount from several years ago--thus misrepresenting their total "savings" using a corny visual chart. I was polite at first but eventually asked him to leave when he would not give a good faith estimate without an application! I felt like I was with a bad used car salesman. I wish that I had researched this company before setting an appointment--what a waste of time...

Do your own calculations: http://www.dinkytown.net/java/MortgageArmvsFixed.html

The short-term "savings" are off set by their high fees and the adjusted rate after several years.
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   Fuentino 0 Votes
Ignornance is Bliss...People need to get educated before you begin to throw out negativity about a company and product you have no idea about. Please read the following and perhaps you may contact MIC back. Thanks.

if it' s hard to read..here is the link

How about the VA Hybrid ARM?
June 22nd, 2009 by James Shergill
Most veterans I speak with are wary when it comes to the subject of adjustable rate mortgages, or ARMS. The perception is that at best they are uncertain, and at worst, they are disastrous. Many veterans I work with are on fixed incomes and can’t afford any more uncertainty in their lives, particularly when they are already battling to keep their credit cards at bay. Other veterans tell me that their goal is to simply pay off their home as quickly as possible, and that an ARM could potentially undermine this effort. Its hard to argue with this logic. For many, ARMs equal uncertainty. And having worked with many homeowners over the years, I would venture to say that veterans crave security more than most; a fact made even more apparent to me during a VA mortgage seminar my office held for some area veterans.

I began the meeting with a simple question: What do you know about adjustable rate mortgages? To my surprise, the veterans responded immediately.

“They lure you in with low rates, and as soon as you sign the paperwork your loan starts to adjust out of control.” one veteran warned.

“I heard that your rate is fixed for a short time, but after that the bank can raise your rate whenever they want to.” another interjected.

“Adjustable Rate Mortgages are the reason that we are in this banking crisis to begin with.” noted another.

“If you miss a payment the bank has the right to take your first born child.” cautioned a fourth.

Okay, the last one was made up, but you get the idea. I suppose what I found most intriguing about the question was that there was no shortage of responses and they were almost universally negative. Being that I was there to discuss the new VA Hybrid ARM product, I felt the best, most relatable approach would be to describe a recent experience with a fellow veteran who had opted for this product.

I recently took an application for a veteran named Colonel Mustard. I’ve changed his last name of course, but I can assure you all that this man was, in fact, a “full bird” colonel. I mention this because right from the get-go he let me know how the call was going to play out: He told me that he would only provide enough information to send him a loan quote for a VA 30 year fixed rate mortgage. Once I did he would compare my offer against several others, and if I was the best, he would call me. I took his application, prepared a Good Faith Estimate and sent it to him. As always, I explained to him that rates were date sensitive and were subject to change due to market conditions.

Although Colonel Mustard acknowledged this, he must have forgotten it immediately because two weeks later I received a phone call from him followed by a signed copy of the estimate.

“James, ” he said, “I’ve weighed the options and compared your quote to all the other ones I’ve received. Yours was the best. I’m ready to lock in my rate today.”

“I appreciate your business Colonel, but I’m unable to lock in the rate that I quoted you.” I apologized. “You might remember sir, that I told you the rate would only be good for 24 hrs. The market ultimately determines rate movement. Unfortunately, the market has pushed the rates higher since we last spoke. However, you might be interested in the VA Hybrid ARM as an alternative. In fact, given your desires to pay your home off faster I think this would be a better fit.”

“I told you I’m not interested in ARM’s.” he said flatly, and proceeded to list the same objections raised earlier.

“While I understand your objections sir, not all ARM’s are created equal. The Hybrid Arm is a VA insured loan. It is entirely different than those you are describing. Consider the following:

The VA Hybrid loan does NOT adjust to whatever the bank wants to set it at. It moves in accordance with the rates of the US 1 yr Constant Maturity Treasury index. Below is a graph reflecting the performance of the treasury index over the last 10 yrs. You will see that the rate never moved higher than 6.33% . The average rate over this 10 year period was around 3%. In all this time, the index has never moved more than 1% in a year, and never in consecutive years.
You will enjoy a fixed rate of 3.75% for 60 months saving twice as much as the fixed rate option.
With the additional savings you can have all of your non-mortgage debt (credit cards, etc) paid off much faster, freeing up additional $ in monthly expenses. These additional dollars can be leveraged into even greater principal reduction.
Your rate can never adjust more than 1% a year, regardless of what the index rate is.
Your rate does not automatically adjust up, it can just as easily adjust downward depending on the market
If your rate ever does adjust the loan will reset the payment based on the remaining balance. By contrast, the payment on a 30 fixed rate loan is based off the loan amount at the time the refinance closes and will never change. If you were to make the same payment on the VA Hybrid ARM as you would have made on the 30 year fixed option, the difference would be deducted from the balance each month. By doing this, you could possibly have a lower payment, regardless of what the rate might adjust to. (see VA 30yr Fixed Rate vs. VA Hybrid ARM comparison below.)
You will be able to obtain this rate for significantly less fees than the fixed rate

Historical Chart

VA HYBRID ARM vs. FIXED RATE OPTION

$300, 000 VA 30yr Fixed Rate Loan at 4.75%

Monthly Mortgage Payment = $1564.94
Loan Balance after 5 years = $274, 494.89
Mortgage Payment after 5 years = $1564.94 (payment never changes on a 30yr fixed loan)
Loan Balance after 6 years = $268, 627.47

$300, 000 VA Hybrid Loan at 3.75% making the 30 year fixed payment

Monthly Mortgage Payment = $1389.35 OR $175.59
Loan Balance after 5 years = $258, 663.72 OR $15, 831.17 lower than 30yr Option
“Worst Case” payment after first adjustment if rate adjusts to 4.75% = $1482.06 OR $82.88 lower than 30 yr option at the same rate
After covering these options in detail, there was a long pause on the phone. Finally, Colonel Mustard spoke, “So you’re telling me that for the next 5 years, I’m guaranteed to save $175 more per month that the other option, which isn’t even available?”

“Yes.” I replied.

“Is there a penalty for paying extra toward my principal balance?” he asked.

“Like all VA loans, there are no prepayment penalties or balloon payments on this product. You are free to put as much as you like toward the balance as you like. The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act stipulates that any amount that you add to your payment above the required amount must be deducted from the principal balance. Is that what you are planning to do?”

“Well yes, but on the other hand I’d rather use the money at first to pay off some credit cards and a pool loan. Would that put me at a disadvantage with the loan?” he asked.

“Not necessarily. In fact doing so will likely be even more beneficial to you. Most people tend to see their mortgage payments as separate from their finances. The idea is to prioritize paying off your debt in order of the debts with the highest rates first, as opposed to the highest balances first. How much non mortgage debt do you have that is at a higher rate than your VA mortgage?” I asked.

“Let’s call it around $15, 000, for which I pay $400 a month.”

“Even better. If you were to apply the monthly savings of $175 per month to this debt you would likely have it all payed off in just under 3 years. By this time, you will have freed up $575 a month which you will enjoy for at least 2 years, guaranteed. Remember, its all about the lowest monthly expenses. If the VA Hybrid ARM lets you achieve this faster than the VA 30 year fixed loan then I think the answer is clear.”

“Okay. One last question. What if things change and I want to fix the interest rate?” he asked.

“Flagship Financial offers a no-cost refinance for any return customer veteran wishing to refinance out of the Hybrid ARM. Again, there would be no prepayment penalties associated with this. Like the VA 30 year fixed option, you would still be eligible to defer two months payments and receive an escrow refund.”

An even longer silence. But after what seemed like 2 minutes, Colonel Mustard spoke:

“Send me the paperwork. This sounds good to me. I appreciate your help.” he said.

“Happy to help, sir. I will send that to you right away. I would be happy to lock you in as soon as you send the signed disclosures back to me.”

“Sure thing. I should have it to you in the next couple of weeks.” He said dryly.

“Uh…sir?”

“Just kidding, James.” he laughed.

“Right. Good one, sir. Thanks a lot.”

Flash forward back to the seminar. I had just finished recounting the Colonel Mustard story and the room was quiet. I could tell that many of the veterans were deep in thought. I decided to break the ice. “Listen folks, what you should take away from this is that, like loans, not all ARMS are created equal. Colonel Mustard happened to discover that the VA Hybrid ARM was the program that best fit his goals. For those of you with stable income and a decent amount of debt, this might be a dream come true. For others, a traditional fixed rate loan will be more beneficial. At the end of the day it depends on the individual’s financial circumstances and goals. But ask yourselves, if there are 30 year fixed conventional mortgages, yet you all still favor the VA 30 year fixed mortgage, doesn’t the VA Hybrid ARM deserve a second look apart from conventional ARMS?”

Oddly, this didn’t seem to break the silence. However, just when I was begining to squirm, the questions started flying. By the end of the seminar, four of the veterans had asked me to price out refinance options for them on the Hybrid ARM.

We all know that most active duty military personell live transient lives, being forced to relocate and move at every transfer. Similarly, veterans, as well as the rest of the private sector are finding more and more that they are living in a transient society. Americans move on average every 5 years (increasingly out of state) in search of work. Furthermore, the vast majority of veteran homeowners simply do not stay in their homes for a 30 year term. If we can accept this as true, then I believe that the VA Hybrid ARM deserves to be considered whenever a veteran is looking to refinance. It won’t work for everyone, but it will work best for many.
 25th of Feb, 2010 by   Wary Active Duty Veteran 0 Votes
Great story. I have considered doing the VA Hybrid ARMS through Amerigroup Mortgage Corporation. However, the problem with me is that I just recently closed on the home, and the loan amount is under the appraisal value of the home. If I refinance with Amerigroup Mortgage Corporation, they want to roll in $11K+ into the deal, making me go "upside down" on the loan, which means that I will owe more than what the house is actually worth. With that said, if I get hit with PCS orders within the next three years and have to sell the house, I will be faced with going in the hole, since I will be unable to break even at the time of sale, causing us some a serious financial woe.

Put it this way, if the knucklehead from Amerigroup Mortgage Corporation would have made the roll-in amount more reasonable, I most likely would have filled out the application right there. But, when the guy started itemizing the discount fee, title fee, and other nonsense, I saw that I was not really going to get my escrow money back, nor was I really going to enjoy not paying my mortgage for two to three months, but rather he was going to roll all of that money into the refinancing loan, bend me over, and insert the long and thick shaft.
 5th of Mar, 2010 by   rsmith16384 0 Votes
god help me, i just signed the papers

I have a worse case of $150 more to pay per month @8.5% and best case of $300 less on my monthly payments @ 3.5%

law of averages tells me this is better

wish me luck
 8th of Mar, 2010 by   railroad 0 Votes
i did this last year and was real scared about doing it there was nothing wrong with the loan i had but i was just looking to save a little bit of money every month with a lower monthly payment. well i have but now i'm scared for my results i had a payoff of 169k and when they where done with me it ended up being 182k way more than the house is worth. call me a dumb a''' is there any thing i can claim for my taxes this year at least?
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   Switch176 -1 Votes
Scam. Scam. Scam...
Does anyone truely believe that these people will not just raise your rates to the maximum allowable every single year? I had a very similar experience as the others today where I was promised a 3.5% 3/1 va refi from AMC. After doing the math I would have owed 6200 more than with my 30 year fixed. After turning down the person I was forced to talk to a phone rep who really laid on the sales pitch. What a joke. Only a questionable company would come to this site to try and sell a loan after people are complaining about being swindled.
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   Ticked off Army Wife -1 Votes
My husband and I just had the same experience (it seems) as everyone else on this site. And thankfully after 3 1/2 hours of sales pitching I knew that I was not comfortable signing any papers. I had the same worries as the post from "Wary Active Duty Vet" because they wanted to tack on 11k to our existing mortagage which would, as well, put me upside down in the loan and then I would ultimately be eating the $4500 in VA funding fee I paid earlier taking that 11k to $15, 500!!! YIKES!!! Yes, saving money sounds great but it would take me over 38 months to recoup all those costs and what if we get PCS orders?! What then?! Even a loan officer through USAA advised me that this would be a bad deal cause it would take too long to get the money back from the re-fi. I just wished someone could knock some sense into my husband, he doesn't see it the way I do! And BTW...I asked the guy whom I had to call on my phone (how tacky is that) what it would cost me if we put in an application now but later decided that we didn't want to go with this...and you know what he said?! "Nothing" but that doesn't seem to be what other people paid. I am sure the people that put in an ap would be happy to know that the credit card they gave the AMC rep or the 1% down they gave them was not really needed! WHAT A JOKE!!!

VIdeo Game Console Buying Guide