logo

Pro Aqua Vacuum Cleaner
Problems with the hose
4. (13 mins ago)
www.hairlineillusions.com
The rep lied about the shipping and my order wasn’t send at all
5. (13 mins ago)
Autopay.com
Took money out without my ok!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Freight Complaints & Reviews - Scam and cheating!

American Freight Contacts & Informations

American Freight

Posted:    Lori Gessner

Scam and cheating!

I have an ongoing complaint with this Company and I am about at my wits end in trying to resolve it, my next step... Lawyer. Ok, I went in the store in Cincinnati Ohio and bought a Bedroom Set, this is in March of 2006, they told me they needed to order it and it would take up to 4 weeks, no problem, well 4 weeks later I called and they told me they are having problems with the manufacturer and they can't get that specific set anymore, well to find out, it wasn't the manufacturer at all, it was American Freight not paying their bills to them, (I was told by a Saleman), so I drove 40 minutes and was told to pick out another Set, my husband was livid might I add, and they were bending over backwards to try to calm him, we got not one phone call from them telling us the problem, I had to call, he wanted our money back and they said they couldn't do it because it was past 30 days... (if I would have known that I would have called sooner) I picked out another Set much more expensive and the Manager said for all the trouble I will eat the difference, (we had payed for the other set in full.) We said ok, it was a little bit better quality.

Problem solved, we got a deal... hardly... again, had to have it ordered but this time from a different manufacturer, and this Set was a popular item, he said they get Deliveries every week and he would take someone's else's order so we could get ours faster...? (Thought that was strange) he said the other order was one that was going into Lay-away and he would just order another for the other order, that made me feel better.

Well, 2 weeks later, no calls, I called again, what is the problem? "Oh, we have it here, I will have a Delivery person call to set you up with a Delivery Date." Ok, now I am getting somewhere... hardly... After several phone calls again, 2 weeks later a subcontracted Delivery company called me to get directions and it was coming in 2 days! Yes! finally the end of this nightmare, beginning of May 2006 I finally get my furniture, but wait, "Where is all my hardware?" The Delivery Company forgot it. I had to drive 40 minutes back to the store and pick it up myself.

Well, as if I didn't learn my lesson the first time, I went back, ordered another Nightstand and the Chest that was not included in my Set, I was moving to Florida from Kentucky, thought I better get it before I leave. Went into store, talked with the SAME Manager, told him I was leaving in 2 weeks and I would pick them up the day I leave on a Sunday while I have a moving truck. He said he has them in the store already and would put them on Hold, payed in full, no problems. This is February of 2007, (they now opened a store in Kentucky close to my house), called 3 days before we were to leave, it was there ready to be picked up. All ready to leave, packed up the truck and headed to American Freight to pick up my 2 items... they weren't there, said they needed to order... talk about making a scene... I yelled to the customers in the store..."Please go somewhere else and purchase furniture... you are making a BIG mistake!" Manager wasn't happy... well, CUSTOMER wasn't either! I threw a fit and told them I wanted my money back NOW! He said let's figure this out calmly, we will have to issue you a check from Corporate and that will take weeks, "Are you moving close to Tampa?" I am about 60 miles South I told him, he said "No problem" I will call the Tampa store, transfer them your money and tell the Manger there, order it, and have someone Delivery it and we will pay for it. After calming down I said "Fine".

Mindless to say, problems with the Tampa store also, it is now November of 2007... "I still don't have a Refund, or my Furniture." I am tired of all of this, called the Tampa store today and told them I was contacting a Lawyer and hung up. All of this for 1 Nightstand and 1 Dresser, told cost $400.oo. I hope they realize I am making them PAY for my Lawyer and interest on my money sitting in there bank account from January 2007 until November 2007, if not longer.

Please STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN FREIGHT, please...
Thank You. Lori.
Comments United States Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Nov, 2007 by   brad 0 Votes
Wow, this sounds so much like my exact situation though, I haven't been waiting for over a year ...yet... but I can see that's where it's going to go. I've talked to numerous managers and the KY district manager and get the same response "No money back and no furniture!" I think I'm going to contact a lawyer as well. And I'm out $1600.
 30th of Jan, 2008 by   randee cattling 0 Votes
I CAME INTO AMERICCAN FREIGHT ON JAN,20,2008 AND PURCHASED A SECTIONAL FROM A GENTLEMAN FOR 1,065.37. HE TOLD ME MY FURNITURE WOULD BE THERE THE NEXT DAY. MY SON TOLD ME THEY CALLED, SO I RETURNED IT, ONLY TO FIND OUT THEY HAD SOLD THE LAST ONE AND THEY WANTED ME TO CHANGE MY ORDER. I TOLD THEM THAT I WOULD NOT DO THAT BECAUSE I DID IT BEFORE AND I WASNT GONNA SETTLE FOR SOMETHING I WASNT HAPPY WITH. THEY SAID OK IT WILL ONLY 3 DAYS FOR THE FURNITURE TO COME IN AND THEN ID GET IT DELIVERED. NO CALL FROM THEM 4 DAYS LATER SO I CALL BACK IM GETTING THE RUN AROUND. THEY TELL ME THEY CAN GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK BY MAIL IN A CHECK FORM. I SAY TO THEM WELL I DIDNT MAIL IT INTO THE STORE WHEN YOU RECIEVED IT. SO I TRY TO CALM DOWN AND WORK WITH THEM. I GO INTO THE STORE AND PICK OUT SOMETHING ELSE JUST AS NICE AND NOT SOMETHING I WOULDNT BE HAPPY WITH JUST TRYING TO WORK WITH THEM. I DONT NEED THE FURNITURE I JUST WANT THE FURNITURE. NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY TOLD ME 2 DAYS ITS BEEN 10 DAYS AND I STILL HAVENT GOT THE FURNITURE. TERRY THEN TELLS ME ITS GONNA TAKE 3 WEEKS TO EVEN GET A CASHIERS CHECK BACK. WHY DO I WANT MY MONEY BACK? BECAUSE I CALL AND THEY TELL ME IT WONT BE DELIVERED UNTIL 11-12:00 MIDNIGHT I GOTTA BE UP FOR WORK AT FIVE AND I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF TWO. I DONT HAVE THAT TIME TO GIVE AND ON TOP OF THAT SHOULD I GIVE THAT MUCH MORE TIME. I AM GONNA CALL A LAWYER FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. I AM ALSO GONNA CALL 6ON YOUR SIDE A SEE JUST HOW FAST ITLL TAKE FOR ME TO GET MY MONEY BACK CAUSE IF IT TOOK TEN DAYS TO PLAY AROUND WITH MY MONEY FOR FURNITURE I NEVER RECIEVED THAN ITS GONNA TAKE FOREVER TO GET MY MONEY BACK AND I CANT AFFORD THAT. ESPECIALLY WHEN VALUE CITY HAD THE SAME FURNITURE AT THE SAME PRICE BASICALLY AND THEY ARE IN GOOD STANDING WITH ME ON FURNITURE. JUST WISH I WOULDVE NEVER GONE THERE AND FROM THIS DAY FOWARD I WILL FIGHT TOOTH AND NAIL TO KEEP ANYONE I KNOW FROM EVER GOING THERE AGAIN.
 5th of Feb, 2008 by   Barb Blankenship 0 Votes
Thanks to all the comments I will never go to American Freight. I was going to buy 2 twin beds for my daughters but I am scared out of my wits to even think about driving down to American Freight. I know none of us has money to throw away and I thank you all for helping me hang onto my money. I am sorry for all the trouble everyone has had but I am thankful I found out before I ended up in the same situation. Good luck to everyone!!
 26th of Feb, 2008 by   todd 0 Votes
Bought a kitchen table in November of 2007, in 3 months the top of the table started to bowe. Went and asked what they could do, their response was nothing they could do. Was asked to leave when I started causing a scene. Any contacts for their corporate office?
 27th of Mar, 2008 by   Lori Gessner 0 Votes
OK, this is the end of my nightmare, Thanks all who posted and I am proud to say that after 13 months I finally got my my back on my Dresser I bought, because of course by the time all of this madness was going on they discontinued making my furniture set so they couldn't get it anymore, and just yesterday almost 14 months they found a nightstand from across the country and had it shipped to my house, (not to mention the 100 phone calls and threats to them, unreturned phone calls, and just plain disgust) now I have found my dresser at Badcocks furniture in Florida went and ordered it, payed for it in full and had it the next day! Whew...I was worried, I love Badcocks, no problems, no hassle and I FINALLY HAVE MY COMPLETE BEDROOM SET, no thanks to American Freight. I HATE THAT COMPANY, WILL NEVER BUY THERE AGAIN AND I DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM PURCHASING ANYTHING THERE UNLESS YOU TAKE IT OUT THE DOOR THE SAME DAY, NO IF'S, AND'S OR BUT'S!! Sorry to hear the other horror stories, mine was 13 months long and finally over.
 17th of Apr, 2008 by   Johnny Stringer 0 Votes
I don't understand where all of these complaints are coming from. I went to American Freight paid for my furniture and got it within 2 hours of my purchase. Great quality, and exceptional price. I shopped around before I bought it, and nobody came close to the price and quality of American Freight. I have to say they were very busy, and I could imagine that would lead to some problems. I don't think I've ever seen a store that busy without any problems or complaints. You have to go there and see the deals for yourself. These websites are great, but where are the sites with unbiased reviews?
 17th of Jul, 2008 by   Lilegend 0 Votes
I am learning that the drama with American Freight is not worth it. I'd rather pay a higher price somewhere else than to deal with them ever again. I purchased my livingroom and dinette set to have it deleivered the following weekend(saturday). I live in a condo in South Florida and express the urgency that the furniture be delivered by noon the following Saturday b/c the "association" has rules and specific days/times for deliveries. The sales guy noted that on the delivery receipt. A day before the delivery I got a call saying the dinette wasn't going to be here until Monday. I told him I couldn't have it delivered until Wednesday. So yesterday the delivery guy showed up, dropped off the set and left. We unpacked it and realized they sent us the wrong furniture. I ordered a six seater, they sent me a 3 seater. I caled the store an demanded to speak with a manager. After getting the run around for 2 hours I finally spoke to him and he assured me it was in stock and to call him at 10am the following day (today) and it would be delivered this morning. We called this morning and low and behold both the manager and sales rep who knows the siuation are not there. The manager that is there today claims there are no drivers to deliver the furniture. Of course at this point I am irate! He claims to be contacting the driver now and the furniture will be at my home by noon. I will never deal with this company again. They have quality furniture, yes but their business practices are appaling. They treat their customers like crap. Tey are scammers and I am highly upset and have a good mind to tell them to come get their furniture and refund my money.
Does anyone out there know if there is a corporate office we can contact?
 28th of Jul, 2008 by   Me 0 Votes
I paid a $200 deposit on a sectional. It never arrived. I asked for my money back and was told that they did not refund "lay-aways".

SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!

Stay away from American Frieght!!!

Feel free to contact me for any other details, I'd be glad to tell you why you shouldn't even think of shopping there!
 21st of Aug, 2008 by   Santosh Madival 0 Votes
Hello,

I bought some furniture from AF and never got them. Neither are they willing to refund me the money.I am not an American citizen so i really don't know as to what should be done .lawyer?????

Please suggest me as to what is to be done???

Thanks

Santosh
 18th of Sep, 2008 by   Robert Vereb 0 Votes
I love Ameircan Freight. A store where people can get more than exceptional furniture for a great price on layaway with a same day deliver if available. Sorry for those who chose to purchase things that were not in stock or put a layaway on furniture that is liquidated.
 20th of Sep, 2008 by   Ginny 0 Votes
I can't stand American Frieght and I have never even shopped there and never will. Any company that has to scream into my TV with their obnoxious commercials tells me it's not a place for me. I thought the commercial was just for our local station but I was recently on a trip and the city I was in had the same horrible obnoxious commercial only with the local address for that store.
Maybe the customers should go into their stores and just talk real loud and be obnoxious because they must think that is who their customers are.
I really feel sorry for all the people who have been taken by them and obviously their poor customer service. Guess the lesson here is beware of people who have to scream at you to get your attention.
 28th of Sep, 2008 by   Sade' 0 Votes
I had a horrible experience with American Freight I went there and purchased a sectional. My first visit no one greeted me at all that right there should have waved a red flag but, i spotted this sectional that i really wanted that i couldnt find anywhere else. I just sold my orginial furniture so i put the sectional in layaway the next day i paid it off in cash. The sales assoicate tells me they didnt have it in stock but the day before he told me it shouldnt be a problem with having this in stock no problem i thought. then the manager tells me another one of there stores about 25 minutes away had it so they were going to pick it up from them and have it delievered to me that upcoming Monday. When Monday comes around i receieved a phone call telling me that store didnt get the furniture in so by Wednesday they should have it to me. With all this nonsense going on the guy who was calling me also told me that they were going to give me free delievery because of the poor service i was recieving so that made me feel a little bit better. Wednesday come he calls and tells me this long stupid story about how the store still didnt recieve the furniture so they probably wont have it until the following Wednesday okay now a week and three days go by and still no furniture. I didnt get a call on Wednesday like i was promised so i called them to see what the situation was and the run around again i was highly upset now that i been furniture less for almost two weeks. Thursday comes and i still didnt get any furniture of a phone call so i was to the point were i was just going to request my money back and go some where else were i would recieve better service. I then get a phone call telling me that they had my furniture in and that it could be delievered the next day. i was called to see was i at home to get the delievery and was told that i needed to have 6o dollars at the door for the delievery charge. I got upset because i was promised the free delievery come to find out their delivery team isnt part of the store separate contractors. so American frieght didnt have any say so on that situation. when the delievery guys arrived they couldnt even put my furniture together because they needed a drill to drill my legs on my sofa. They had to leave and come back once they came back they still didnt have the right drill and couldnt do the job intended. They couldnt finish the job until the next day. This store is very poor in customer service, Please dont do business with them they suck!!! STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN FREIGHT!!! The prices arent worth all the bullshit they put you through
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   eric 0 Votes
I purchased a mattress and couch and love seat from american freight in Lima, Ohio and I must say that was the best buying experience I ever had. All my relatives bought stuff there and never had a single problem. They were exceptionally nice and all the stuff I got was great quality and name brand items that I received that were cheaper than any other store. Everything is really great at american freight. You must go there. I will always shop there and all my friends and relatives will too.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   bob schultz 0 Votes
I bought a table and chairs, and a sectional from there. Everything was exactly as they said. I loved my stuff and will be going back for some more things. I don't know how there are any complaints but I guess you can get complaints from anywhere you shop. My local walmart has received complaints. I definitely will be shopping at lexington Ohio store again. Thank You American Freight, from Bob
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   tina vance 0 Votes
I had a really good experience from there and tell everybody to shop there. They delivered my items to me ahead of schedule and even helped me move some stuff to put my items where I wanted them. I got a sectional 1000 cheaper than abrams which had exact same item. Dave the store manager even called me to thank me for purchase. Don't go anywhere else for furniture. God Bless yOU
 20th of Oct, 2008 by   Demetra Taylor 0 Votes
i wish i would"ve came to this website before i purchased any furniture. my story is exactly similar to all of the above. here it has been almost 4 months since i heard from them and i also contacted a lawyer and they sent a letter to them, which they never responded. so they advised me to contact the BBB and the Attorney general's Of Ohio. so after that if i do not hear any response i am going to take them to small claims court where by the consumers sales act they will be held accountable to pay 3x the amount of damages and court cost. i advise u all to do that.
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   gary 0 Votes
i bought a mattress and box spring set and also two dressers and a dining room set from the north orlando store. i was greeted at the door by the store manager named kevin. he was professional and gave me a good deal and will go back to purchase from them again. i might even start selling for AMERICAN FREIGHT LIQUIDATORS
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   Chris Botero 0 Votes
I filled up my entire house with furniture from american freight and saved a couple thousand dollars in doing so. I had no major problems with anything and will continue to shop there for years to come!! The furniture looks great!!
 16th of Dec, 2008 by   hunterfah 0 Votes
American Freight
I put furniture on layaway. I was paying on it and they discontiued it. Now they are trying to force me to get something else. I wanted what I put on layaway. This company is going to have lots of problem. They take your money and dont even have the furniture. The buy one fro disaply and hope the company will have it when you finish paying for it.
Take them to court and don't let them keep your money.
 19th of Dec, 2008 by   Shiraz 0 Votes
Well, first off...anyone who would even go there after taking one look at their very annoying commercials must not have their head screwed on right. Me, being the curious type, once went there a few years ago before I saw one of their commercials to see what they were all about. After being in the store about 10 minutes I overheard two arguments regarding customer/employee interaction and it felt like I was in a zoo. I quickly left. This company (if that's what you call it) must be ran by a bunch of idiot scam artists. No thanks! People, there are MUCH better places to get "a good deal". Use your head.

Computer-Repair-Scam