logo

Squareup.com
POOR customer service/scam
4. (1 hr 17 mins ago)
Milleniumgallery.co.uk
Impossible to contact the seller and get any info about order
5. (1 hr 20 mins ago)
Reliance NetConnect plus
to deactivate the net connection

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Family Insurance, Colorado Complaints & Reviews - They do not pay for roof damage ever

American Family Insurance Contacts & Informations

American Family Insurance

Posted: 2011-04-27 by    WOW, not again

They do not pay for roof damage ever

American Family Insurance
Colorado
amfam.com
I am a Contractor, I have been roofing for 20+ years, and in that time I have replaced thousands of roofs... That said, I want all to know that when it comes to getting your roof bought by storm damage, do not count on American Family!!! In the last year I have contacted or been contacted by over 300 clients with AFI (American Family Insurance) out of these 300, 2 roofs have been replaced!!! While we do roofs every where in Colorado, the same roofs next door are bought by all the competitors... State Farm, Hartford, Allstate, USAA, etc... AFI hires the hardest Adjusters to do business with, they look at wind and hail damage in a totally different way than the rest of the industry... Hard Core, when the roof leaks they will replace a couple of hundred dollars of drywall, but not the cause of the leak, the ROOF... Oh the $200 is paid by the client because of the DEDUCTIBLE that they give clients on roofs is 2K, 3K, 5K, etc... WOW, if I were in your shoes, its time to change insurance folks... My 2 Cents...
Comments United States Roofing
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Jul, 2011 by   bevgarrison +1 Votes
DO NOT USE AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE! American Family has apparently found another way to keep insurance premiums paid by consumers. We were insured for 24 yrs w/American Family w/ no claims filed & no inspections by American Family in all that time. Suddenly last winter (2011) we received a letter stating an inspector would be out - after one of the worst snows we had all winter. Then in late May 2011 we received a letter from American Family that if we did not repair trees overhanging house, some gutter problems, etc. our insurance would be cancelled on July 15th. We talked with our local agent & were told it would be okay - just make requested repairs. Then the second week or so of June we received cancellation letter with no review of our progress on repairs. Understand we needed to make substantial repairs but American Family gave us no opportunity to do the work within a reasonable amount of time before cancellation. Local agent just led us along with promises that he could get us other temporary coverage but of course on July 15th we got a so-sorry good bye phone call. So now we have no homeowners insurance & our mortgage co will force us to take their coverage at double the premium or foreclosure.
Now we have found out we are not the only ones this has happened to in the last few months - another family in a nearby city has had the same thing happen to them.
 5th of Aug, 2011 by   nothappywithAFI +1 Votes
Same story here with American Family! had a bad hail storm here and everyone on our street is getting a new roof but us! and we have major damage. 25 years with AMI and no claims, nothing! and this is how they treat us! Very Very disgusted!
 17th of Sep, 2011 by   all10pins +1 Votes
Same story here also. Bad hail storm on April 19 2011, every house in my court has had a new roof installed on it except mine. They say there is hail damage on my roof BUT the shingles are defective so they are denying my claim. The house is only 10 years old. I have had 4 contractors look at the roof and all have said there is hail damage . I am in the middle of an Appraisal process right now but haven't heard nothing from them in a week. Am Fam is one of the top three company to deal with in hail storms as per thr contractors. I will be switching when all is said and done.
 3rd of Oct, 2011 by   Nicole Mendz +1 Votes
American Family Insurance is the worst insurance company in the U.S. They don't care about loyalty or that you haven't had any claims. we had a catastrophe a bad bad hail storm heat our area and everyone on our street is got their roof replaced but us!!! We've had American Family for over 30 years. We haven't had any claims and pay our bills on time. They send an Engineer to come up with whatever excuse he could come up with so they didn't have to pay for a new roof. They offered us to replaced our gutters when everyone else got their roofs, fences, windows, siding replaced. After 6 months my house is the only house on my street with a blue tarp on the roof. We had lots of leaks and they don't care. They say they will not pay for a new roof and they don't care.
They say our roof was old it's only 8 years old (they don't have all the facts) they just don't care!!!
When I talk to the claims adjuster he just said we're not paying for a new roof and I asked if I could talk to someone higher than him and he said no, we're not paying. Mean heartless people!!!
 3rd of Oct, 2011 by   Nicole Mendz +1 Votes
American Family Insurance is the worst insurance company in the U.S. They don't care about loyalty or that you haven't had any claims. We had a catastrophe a bad bad hail storm hit our area and everyone on our street got their roof replaced but us! We've had American Family for over 30 years. We haven't had any claims and pay our bills on time. They offered to replaced our gutters but not our roof when everyone in our neighborhood got their roofs, fences, windows, siding replaced. After 6 months our house is the only one with a blue tarp on our roof when everyone else has a new roof. We've had lots of leaks and need a lot of work inside besides a new roof. We still have hail in our freezer to prove that it was big hail, it was considered a catastrophe. They totaled 2 of our cars but our roof ...they won't replace it.
When I talked to the claims adjuster he just said we're not paying for a new room and I asked if I could talk to someone higher than him he said no, we're not paying. Mean hearltess people! They just want your money.
They send us Christmas cards and birthday cards, ha! But when you need them they could care less.
Do not get American Family Insurance, you will be sorry like we are. : (
 3rd of Oct, 2011 by   hate american family insurance +1 Votes
We had bad ice daming this winter which caused roof and interior damage to several rooms in the house. Adjuster came out in December and cut a check for $2600.00, and told us if when spring came we discovered more damage then we simply needed to submit the estimates to get paid. When spring arrived I got estimates and they totaled over $20, 000. I Faxed in the estimates and they sent out another adjuster and he came up with an additional $6, 000. Why do we bother to get estimates if they simply ignore them. If American Family knows a contractor that will do the work for the money they have alocated then they should supply us with one. I don;t care who does the work so long as it is done right. 2 homes, numerous cars, and 30 years later and they just don't seem to care. I am going to go to the local news media if they do not get this issue resolved."
 3rd of Oct, 2011 by   hate american family insurance 0 Votes
5th of Aug, 2011 by nothappywithAFI

17th of Sep, 2011 by all10pins

10th of Oct, 2011 by   skyblue62 0 Votes
Same miserable AFI insurance claim coverage here in Chanhassen, MN. Our area had major hail storm damage in early Summer of 2008. Roofing contractors have been buzzing through our neighborhood like so many flies, since. Many houses in our neighborhood, including the house next door, across the street, three doors down, directly behind ours, and many many others, have had their roof replaced "IN FULL" by their respective insurance companies. The common link to the full roof replacement... none of these LUCKY home owners were covered by AFI. I've had two AFI insurance adjusters at my house two times since. Much to my family's disappointment, AFI has only provided ~$3, 200 in "Spot Damage Repair" for an otherwise total roof replacement cost of ~$13, 000 to $15, 000, depending upon the various roofing contractor's estimates we've had quoted since. Ridiculous. There's one other aspect to all of this... When we built our home in 1999, we selected to "upgrade" to CertainTeed's organic Hearthstead shingles. What a mistake. This shingle-type has been the subject of a nation-wide class action suit for being that of a defective product (e.g. excessive curling of the shingle over time). AFI is fully aware of this class action suit, the resulting settlement (which is a joke in and of itself), and has purchased much (or the remaining) stock of this defective product to provide it's customers for "Spot Replacement" such as mine. Yes, that is to say that AFI is choosing to repair it's customer's roof's with a known defective product. Again... Ridiculous. My advice to anyone with AFI homeowner's insurance who is not currently doing battle with them for an adjustment... drop 'em like a rock!
 5th of Nov, 2011 by   Skimbes 0 Votes

Worst insurance! - American Family Insurance

Home car 5th wheel dont buy INSURANCE wont pay wasting your money BE PREPARED TOO FIGHT!
 23rd of Apr, 2012 by   Very Angry 111 0 Votes
AmFam is a joke! I had an adjuster come out and say we had hail and wind damage, four (4) people heard this at the same time, but buy the time he got back to the office he stated that there was no hail damage. But, we didn't know this until 1 day before our repairs were supposed to be completed. How can we complete our repairs if the adjuster has not gotten back with us and is "on medical leave" how convenient. Guess what AmFam is refusing to give us an extention for the completion date even though it is there fault.
 30th of Apr, 2012 by   mullen831 0 Votes
We filed a claim after a few bad hail storms last year. AmFam denied our claim. We had 2 contractors come out and give us estimates of around $7k to replace our siding. We then had an engineer come out to inspect our property as well. We get a letter in the mail about 2 weeks later stating that due to the "deteriorating nature of our property", that they could no longer insure us. We then get a call from the adjuster that they approved our claim for only 2, 000, which isn't even anywhere close enough the even start the job. They will only replace 2 sides of the house. Our contractor told AmFam that 2200 won't even even fix 2 sides of the house and the siding wont match and won't connect at the corners... We feel so helpless and don't know what to do. Our next calls are going to be to the Ohio State Attorney Generals office and to the Insurance Commission. This is ridiculous. They wouldn't have dropped us had we not filed a claim. Not only are they not completing the job, they pretty much slapped us in the face. Thanks American Family, for royally screwing us over. They told my fiance that when he signed up for his policy that he didn't sign up for the policy that required "matching of siding". You have got to be kidding me.

Undercover Charities Scam