logo

Usbizdata.com
Worst customer support
3. (28 mins ago)
Mbi - Probiller.com
Charged me monthly for something I don’t know.
4. (1 hr 11 mins ago)
Sleepy's - Kingsdown Mattress
Kingsdown give up making mattresses!
5. (1 hr 12 mins ago)
monthly youth
payout checque

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

ADT Security Services Complaints & Reviews - Horrible customer service and faulty product!

ADT Contacts & Informations

ADT Security Services

Posted:    Ryan

Horrible customer service and faulty product!

This complaint concerns a commercial install performed for a non-profit organization. After almost six months, we still don't have a fully-functioning system and are out nearly $8,000. Our experience has included a ridiculously long list of faulty parts, missed service calls, false trips of the system, added riders to the contract during the installation process, and horrendous customer service from ADT management in the Richmond office.

The only thing ADT has done well and consistently is bill us for service and monitoring. Otherwise, they've replaced parts repeatedly without successful resolution of the problems. They've scheduled service appointments, then not shown up and not called, and their sales and installation managers are using the poor field guys as barriers in an attempt to avoid speaking with me.

I have devoted almost 100 hours in the past six months to arguing bills, driving into work at 2am to disarm a false alarm, and grappling with managers and service technicians. They have cost our non-profit a large amount of money and time due to their inefficiency, poor customer service, and faulty system.

Also, as part of the contract negotiation process, they agreed to donate $500 to one of our projects. After that donation wasn't received for four months, I was informed that they couldn't make the donation and would instead deduct that amount from our monitoring; yet another example of their inability to follow through.

I strongly encourage you to consider other security companies as I will never give business to ADT again. Please consider going with local, smaller security companies (of course check with Better Business Bureau). The only satisfactory resolution at this point would be a complete refund of all costs associated with installation and monitoring (over $7,800) and an apology from a Regional Manager.
Comments United States Security Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Feb, 2007 by   Valerie +1 Votes
ADT hired a sub-contractor to install a security system into my home. Defender security did not install the system properly so it is less secure having the system then it was without the system.

I do not feel safe because the technician did not complete the system installation and then walked out with my remote. My electric was disrupted, in one area of my basement and when i called they said it would take a week to return to fix it. I told them I wanted my remote, they told me the technician's car broke down. I called ADT and they sent a tech. the day after they made my appointment,the excuse was that the refixing would take too long so they needed to alot more time for the repair. The ADT tech arrived this am. and would not repair the mistakes and referred me to their installation dept. ADT's installation Dept. said I had to call Defender security. Now I ask you out there, would you allow them back into your home to repair what they ruined in the first place?? I won't. My advice to all of you is do not trust your home's security to ADT.... I realize it is a well known company but you cannot trust a company that does not stand behind their reputation when they do not care about who they farm out to.... BE SAFE PLEASE!
 2nd of Jul, 2007 by   Alfredo Galvan 0 Votes
I called ADT to get information about their alarm system. A salesman came over and said that since my house was not prewired, a wireless system will have to be used and I will have to pay about $230.00 for the equipment and sign a 3 year contract. Less than two years later the monitoring service went up $2.00 which is now 37.11. Exactly two years later I am moving to another house and I just found out that I have been paying for monitoring and I have not been getting the service. They did not even have my phone number. ADT said that it is my fault because I should have been testing the system monthly. Apparently the installer did not test the system when the alarm was installed. On top of that, ADT want me to pay $100.00 cancellation fee. I am out over $850.00 for a service I did not received.
 1st of Oct, 2007 by   Tim W. +1 Votes
I decided my home needed a security system and called ADT about setting up an appointment. I was not happy at all with the guy who installed it and thought "well, if this is the kind of service condoned by ADT, then there is no way I want to be in a 3 year contract with them!" Disappointed, I decided to cancel within the 3 days allowed. The local company was apologetic and did try to smooth it out, but I just lost confidence in ADT and had a gut feeling that I should cancel while I could. Well, when I called your cancellation dept. on 9/21, I knew my gut feeling was right. The woman who answered brings a lot of words to mind; monotone, unhelpful, sarcastic, insincere and at times just condescending. After talking to her it hit me, "Thank God I cancelled". If she is a representative of your company, I want nothing to do with your firm. There are other options out there.

Be careful who you hire! You have lost me as a customer for life, not to mention everyone else I tell about my bad experience. Reputation is everything in your business.
 27th of Nov, 2007 by   N. Rich 0 Votes
BUYERS BEWARE!!!! ADT AND DEFENDER SECURITY IS NOT THE PLACE TO PROTECT YOUR LOVED ONES!

I CALLED ADT WHO UNKNOWN TO ME PAWNED ME OFF ON DEFENDER SECURITY OUT OF INDIANAPOLIS WHO SENT OUT 2 GUYS ONE WHO WAS CLUELESS ON WHAT TO DO, WHEN THEY LEFT THE ALARM SYSTEM DID NOT WORK, A QUICK CALL TO ADT AND ALL I GOT WAS CALL DEFENDER, THEN A QUICK CALL TO DEFENDER AND ALL THEY SAID WAS CALL ADT AND HUNG UP!

WHIT OUT BEING TO LONG WINDED, I FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, THE BBB, AND FILED A CIVIL CASE, AND THEN I GOT ACTION...
IN SHORT FIND ANOTHER COMPANY TO SECURE YOU LOVED ONES AND GOODS.
 18th of Dec, 2007 by   LATRICA LAMB +1 Votes
I HAVE HAD THE MOST TOTAL WORST EXPERIENCE WITH ADT... I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A REFUND OF 60.00 THAT IS MY MONEY FROM THEM CHARGING FOR 2 PROPERTIES. I CALLED TO MOVE SERVICES, WHY CALL IF YOU ARE GOING TO STILL DEBIT MY ACCOUNT? WELL NEATLESS TO SAY, I WAS CHARGED FOR 6 MONTHS BEFORE I NOTICED DOUBLE CHARGES ON MY BANK ACCOUNT. WELL, I HAVE HEARD, THE CHECK IN THE MAIL, THE FUNDS HAVE BEEN TRANSFERRED TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, THE FUNDS WENT TO A FROZEN ACCOUNT, THE CHECK WAS LOST AND WE ARE INVESTIGATING IT, AND THE FUNDS WENT TO THE WRONG ACCOUNT AND WE HAVE TO INVESTIGATE IT... WELL IT DONT TAKE A GENIUS TO FIGURE OUT THAT I HAVE GOTTEN THE RUN AROUND AND WAIT ALL OF THIS COME FROM MANAGERS EVERYTIME BECAUSE A REUGLAR REPRESENTATIVE COULD NOT HELP ME. SO IF THE MANAGERS ARE GIVING OUT MISINFORMATION THE REPRESENTATIVES DONT HAVE ANY CHOICE BUT TO BE MESSED UP. I JUST WANT MY MONEY!!!
 26th of Dec, 2007 by   john allentown +1 Votes
Have had ADT for 3 years and a month or 2. In this time we have had one alarm failure fixed at a cost of about $175 dollars.
Since then we have had the same alarm fail about 5 times and one motion detector alarm.

The smoke/heat detector failing is reset the system and maybe for weeks no more failures.

No one smokes in the house. The alarm in not in a sensitive area, like water, smoke or heat.

ADT's response is well have it serviced and then put the charges in dispute. AHHH we did this once and paid dearly for a very inexpensive sensor.

Well, we was going to do that once again and we had a promise of the service time. About 30 minutes before the call ADT calls and says how do we get to your place. Where are you? Well they were at least a hour's drive and we had another appointment to take care of.

I feel that after this number of alarm failures and the delay in contacting us the system is of zero mental value.
We will be going else where for an alarm system and hope other also consider other suppliers.
 2nd of Jan, 2008 by   Andrew Buck 0 Votes
I too have had multiple issues with ADT Security Services that resemble this complaint, and have included the following:

1. Had an alarm event that required notification to the local police department. 45 minutes later, the police department had called back -- long after I called them directly and they'd been to the premise -- to advise me that they received a call that was misrouted and transferred trough various sources (phone operator, state police, county dispatch, finally to my local police) because ADT had the wrong phone number for the local police, despite our providing the correct one. When we called them to correct this, we were told by the phone representative that nothing could be done about it. So I'm paying for police notification that isn't happening properly. Oh, ultimately, the original event was a false trip of a motion sensor, so once again -- as with the original complain to this thread -- faulty equipment is the culprit.
2. Scheduled an appointment for ADT to move my security panel due to a door installation. Technician arrived late, berated the door installers, continually used foul language with me and the installers, spent 2 hours rewiring the entire system, then left it in a non-functioning condition to go to other appointments and never returned. Had to insist that an off-hours technician repair my system and make it optional at 10PM -- more than 9 hours after the first technician left. Also scheduled a CO Sensor installation (see 3. below).
3. Scheduled a CO Sensor install for a month ahead with a technician. Received several calls from ADT indicating that the part was received, and then asking "if I wanted to schedule". Corrected them on no less than 3 occasions, and asked how we make sure this is scheduled, was assured this was under control. The morning of the installation, receive a call telling me that they "don't have the part and would need to reschedule", after being called to schedule 3 times prior because "we've received the part".

ADT clearly is not handling its business well, requests for escalation are not well-received or taken seriously. Calls to local office are not handled by managers immediately, and post-sales service is not taken seriously. Clearly, their goal is to sell you the system, then not service it properly, and shrug their shoulders and feign ignorance when things go wrong y pointing the finger around. I've contacted the business without response on several occasions, the most recent this morning after the missed appointment. The next one is to the Better Business Bureau to raise the complaint, though I doubt there's really a satisfactory resolution possible at this point, nor do I think that ADT will much care.
 10th of Jan, 2008 by   Dan Rider +1 Votes
Never Ever buy a security system from an Authorized Dealer. My sister got a security system from Defender Security and I later found out that the guy she bought it from was a registered sex offender.

Thats great, this guy has my password, my social security numer, my credit card number and my email address and phone numbers.

Warning dont buy from Defender Security. Sex offenders work there.

Dan Rider.
 10th of Jan, 2008 by   Dan Rider 0 Votes
Hey not only should you not buy a security system from defender security because they have sex offenders who sell the system to you over the phone like what happend to my sister.

The thing was in order to qualify she had to pass a credit check and this registered sex offender actualy ran a credit check on my sister.

I cant imagine how any of the major credit unions would allow a registered sex offender to run a credit check on my sister.

When I called equifax they said its not against the law and its up to the company what kind of precautions they take.

Warning, Dont buy from Defender Security, They have sex offenders working there.
 8th of Feb, 2008 by   knittt 0 Votes
We have experienced similar problems with ADT. In a nutshell, their customer service is anything but that. Following is a summary of my experience:

1. Due to faulty equipment in our home, several alarms have gone off in the middle of the night waking neighbours and family.
2. Repeated calls to ADT for service have resulted in THREE missed appointments, and no phone calls to let us know they weren't coming or to reschedule.
3. Calls to the district manager resulted in promises to help, but no action and no follow-up.
4. I am dumping ADT and converting to a new local service with an excellent reputation in the community.

This company has some major problems with operations management. Don't waste your time and money with them.
 19th of Feb, 2008 by   d. Whitmore +1 Votes
The ADT system started sending false alarms. A tech came out and supposedly change the sensors and cleaned the panel charging 100.00. The panel continued to stick. A called to ADT resulted in a tech giving instructions on how to change the code. After the instructions were implemented the panel shut down. Three techs have been out without success causing me to miss I full day and 2 half days from work. The last tech stated that he needed to order a part. He called two days later left a voice mail asking me to call him and set up an appointment. Which I did, however, on the day of the appointment he did not show and a call to ADT indicated that no appointment was made. That seems pretty suspicious . Why did he make an appointment and ADT is unaware? Females be cautious! I have been without a system for almost a month. If I were you I would think twice about ADT. I am switching to a new company ASAP.
 20th of Mar, 2008 by   hrojas +1 Votes
My panel has not worked since 7 days. I called for service and was told I had to wait at least 48 hours. I then scheduled an appointment as soon as possible. The date of the appointment was my birthdate, but I waited for the service person from 12-5, considering my panel did not work, and I was to be on a business trip and was concerned for the home security of my family. I confirmed at least 3 different times with ADT my service appointment, as I would miss work, and be at home. The service person did not appear. I lost my wages for the whole afternoon. When you call to inquire about why the service person is not there, they make you wait over 15 minutes on the phone. (Unacceptable). When I finally did get through I was told I did not have a service appointment, though I had confirmed at 3 different occasions. Please do not get ADT service, as it is nonexistent.
 21st of Mar, 2008 by   Mike B. +1 Votes
My complaint sounds scary similiar to Hrojas, Ours started off with rude customer service, we got a call saying the tech. would arrive from 12-1pm, he showed up @ 2:20 pm, then the work order was wrong my wife had to fight and argue with them for a good half hour also he stayed until 9:30pm it did not get installed, the tech said i'll come back tommorrow after my first appt. is done, what?? STAY AWAY FRO DEFENDER SECURITY PLEASE!!!
 22nd of Mar, 2008 by   Mike +1 Votes
ADT provides terrible customer service. Our alarm wasn't even working properly because they didn't replace the batteries and then they wanted to charge us to come out. DO NOT USE ADT, and if you have them, cancel them at the earliest opportunity!
 8th of Apr, 2008 by   Jim Atkins +1 Votes
I had ADT in my house for 6 years, I sold my house and moved to a rental house, which I contracted for a year.I told ADT that I was moving, they said we can move your account over there, ADT is the only company that will put a system in a rental house.So I said OK, the ADT guy showed up in the midst of unpacking, installed alarms on three doors.Said someone will be back next week to do the windows.He was real friendly, lifted a box or two, then at the appropriate time, said just sign this so I get paid for coming out today.Without searching for my glasses, I scrawled my name on a faded piece of paper, didn't even get a copy.When no one showed up for a 6 months I decided to cancel the service, BUT I now found out I had signed a new 3 year contract on a place I rented for 1 year, tried to go through BBB, but ADT won't budge, they took advantage of me, an elderly person.I will pass on this story to anyone that will listen.
 29th of Apr, 2008 by   Amy Covington +1 Votes
ADT hires numerous subcontractors who don't know what they are talking about and install systems improperly. I had so many false alarms that I was actually fined by the City and ended up disabling my system because every time I left it seemed like my alarm went off. What's more I told the salesman who signed me up that I would only be in the home for a year and could I cancel if I needed to and he said yes. When I went to cancel I was told I would have to pay $450. I couldn't afford it and so they continued to withdraw the monthly payments out of my account. Now I'm just so ticked off that they have NO options available for people who move to apartments and no longer have use for the service. ADT did not provide any new equipment for me, as I already had equipment so they had nothing to lose ... except for any potential future business from me or people I know based on their treatment of me. Every time I've called I have been treated so rudely. They clearly only care about making money in any way that they can.
 10th of Aug, 2008 by   whyme88 +1 Votes
I left ADT after three years of employment at the National Marketing Center (NMC) in Jacksonville, Florida. The pay was good, the benefits were good, but job satisfaction evaded me for the entire three years. My job was to assist customers in reactivating and reprogramming existing ADT alarm systems in their homes remotely over the phone. I was also an ADT customer for three years; ADT employees get a 50% discount on installation and monitoring. During the three years I was a customer, I found that my alarm system was typically effective and that the monitoring center did a pretty good job of responding to the few false alarms I experienced. There was one incident that prompted me to leave ADT (as an employee and as a customer) that occurred several months ago. A fellow employee in my department, for reasons unknown to me, decided to tamper with my personal home alarm system programming using the remote downloader hardware/software ADT utilizes for reactivating existing alarm systems.
This person changed my master arming code and disarmed my alarm system while my wife and I were both away from our home. When we returned home we were obviously concerned that not only had our alarm been disarmed, but we could not re-arm the system either. I discovered the program tampering to my alarm monitoring account when I returned to work and made copies of all program documentation and reported the incident to upper management. No action was ever taken, that particular employee is still at ADT, and I'm no longer an employee or customer there. I have filed a complaint against ADT with the Florida Department of Consumer Affairs because of this incident.
I'd like to let everyone who stumbles across this post know that paying for alarm monitoring should be a thing of the past. Most everyone has a cell phone these days, so why not monitor your own alarm system. With simple programming on the alarm keypad, you can change the phone number that the alarm system dials from the alarm company's monitoring center to you personal cell phone number. You can call the police, friends, and neighbors and have them check on your home just as easily as some $8.00/hour monitoring center employee can. Most alarm company monitoring centers are required to contact the homeowner or a key holder to the home before they can notify the police anyway.
To monitor your home alarm system via cell phone, you'll need a few things. First, you'll need the manufacturer's installation and programming guide for the make/model of your alarm system. This will walk you through the programming steps for changing codes, phone numbers and so forth on your alarm keypad. Second, you'll need the phone number and monitoring account number that your alarm is currently programmed to dial. You can get this information from your alarm company's monitoring center operators; if not, ask around in your local area and find an alarm technician (or ex-alarm technician) who can find this information for you (usually for a small fee or favor). Third, you'll need the installer code for your particular alarm system. This code will allow you to access the advanced programming for your alarm at your keypad. Once you have the programming guide, all phone numbers and codes, it's just a simple matter of following instructions and typing in numbers on your keypad.
It's really quite simple; if you can set up address book phone numbers in your cell phone, you can reprogram your alarm system. When the alarm goes off in your home you'll be notified directly on your cell phone, and you can in turn call the police yourself.
Now, if all that's too complicated for you, or if you can't obtain all the codes and information you need for your alarm, there is another option that will still allow you to monitor your own alarm system. You'll have to purchase a digital alarm phone dialer. You can usually find one of these at your local Radio Shack or electronics store or by searching on-line. These automatic phone dialers can usually be had for around $80.00. A digital dialer can easily be wired (just two wires usually) to the siren output connection in the main control panel of your alarm system (that's the metal box that houses the main circuitry and system back-up battery for the alarm system). When the digital phone dialer is installed you'll unplug the alarm system from your home phone wiring and plug the digital alarm dialer phone cord into any phone jack in your home. The digital phone dialer will come with wiring and programming instructions and are much easier to program than the alarm system itself. A big plus with most digital phone dialers is that you can program two, four, or even six phone numbers for the system to dial in the event of an alarm. This allows you to program your cell phone, neighbor’s phone, friends, other family members, etc...Please note; however, you should not program the dialer to call police or other emergency services; that's unlawful in most areas.
So, stop paying $30, $40, $50 per month or more for alarm monitoring and take control of your own home security. You can do this with a lot of the alarm systems that are out there; it's just a matter of doing some research and/or spending a little cash, and doing a little wiring.
For those of you that do not have a home alarm system and are thinking about getting one for your home a company called X-10 has a pretty good do-it-yourself system that comes with keypad, remote key fob, six number digital voice phone dialer, five window/door contacts, two motion sensors, and an additional wireless keypad, all for under $200.00. Just Google X-10 and you'll find their website. I bought one of these systems for my 75 year old mother-in-law and it works great. I installed the entire system and programmed it in under two hours.
I'm not what you would call an expert alarm technician, but then electronic alarm systems and alarm system monitoring is not rocket science either. Even the latest and most advanced electronic home alarm systems still use the same basic circuitry and components that have been used in home alarm systems for the past 30 years or more. I have to laugh whenever I see ADT's new commercial where they talk about their "new" keychain remote control...they've been selling that same remote for at least 20 years now.
You'll pay $400/year and up for monitoring with most alarm companies, and yes, they do sometimes provide technical service if the alarm breaks, but most problems you would ever have with a home alarm system you can fix yourself (if you have basic mechanical skills), like replacing the system backup battery, reattaching a lose door or window contact or replacing batteries in wireless door/window sensors and motion sensors, etc...
If the alarm system is just totally screwed up, you can easily replace the entire system yourself for less than one service call from an alarm company technician.
I hope the information I've provided on this post is useful to some of you out there. At least you know that there are alternatives to paying extortion fees to an alarm company and being locked into a 3 year contract. I'm sure that there are many other alternative home security solutions out there that cost way less than ADT that I have not mentioned here; so get off this blog and start doing your research.
 4th of Sep, 2008 by   Carlos +1 Votes
I agree with the complaints posted. They are crooked. I had ADT for 7 years (they bought out my original two companies). I requested cancellation of their monitoring services effective August 31 by phone in late July. When I did not hear from them, through email or snail-mail, as far as confirming the cancellation, I sent them a message on July 12 by logging-in to my account in their website (MyADT.com). They responded with an email informing me that they do not accept cancellations by their website messaging system. They said I had to either call them (which I had already done) or fax them. I decided to fax them again requesting cancellation effective August 31st, on August 12. I requested confirmation through an email. On August 21 when they did not respond, I resent the fax. On September 2nd, since they had not responded, I called them. Now they tell me that they did not receive the phone call or the faxes. They confirmed the fax number with me annd I have a record of 2 successful faxes sent on August 12 and 21. Now on September 2, they charged me the $93.40 for the next 3 months monitoring. The credit card company (Citi) says that it would be hard to prove that they actually received the faxes. So, it seems that ADT knows exactly what they are doing and how to do it.

They are obviously crooked. They only accept phone calls or faxes in order to cancel, however, later they claim they did not receive them. They do this to try to cheat their customers out of an additional 3-month period and in order to punish them for daring to cancel their monitoring. Doesn't the government monitor this kind of fraud on consumers?
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by   Ron W +1 Votes
All that I can add is, read the fine print carefully because it will come back to haunt you. When the service person comes out to fix your system, don't believe the person unless it is in writing when he says that there will be no charge for service. Also some people don't realize that they are dealing with two different companies (ADT and the service contractor). When ordering the service from the salesperson (who is an independent contractor), he will ask for your social security number so that the company can do an inquiry on your credit rating. The other subcontractor will do another inquiry on your credit rating also, that will give you two dings on your credit rating in one day. Insist on one inquiry in writing, so your credit rating will not be hurt. Also, everything that your sales person promises must be in writing to be valid. I think the minimum agreement is three years lock in, so be careful and read the small print, I wish that I had.
 21st of Mar, 2009 by   rob street +1 Votes
adt hired sws to install my system and the 2 men from sws stole money and tools and other things from my house! i do not reccomend adt or sws for anything. neither company will help me or try to fix the problem, they are basically ignoring me. so do not trust either of them!!!

Outrageous Prices in the Health Care System