logo

Absolute Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating
Outrageous Rip-off!
3. (30 mins ago)
Radaris.eu
Failure to remove personal info
4. (31 mins ago)
Booking.com
never give your credit card details to booking.com
5. (42 mins ago)
Altura Credit Union
Piss Poor Customer Ser

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

ACS-education, New York Complaints & Reviews - Poor customer service and support

ACS-education Contacts & Informations

ACS-education

Posted:    skelooth

Poor customer service and support

ACS-education
New York
acs-education.com
I would like to say that I have had, and am currently having, poor experiences with ACS-education. Their customer service is not only borderline rude and unhelpful, but their customer service is barely existent. I I emailed them three weeks ago with a question and have never gotten a reply further than the automated response. Calling with my questions is met with the crass attitude as described by the person above. I believe this problem is with ACS and not with Wachovia.

The worst part is, there is no one to complain to! Because they haven't technically done anything wrong I can not launch a complaint with the BBB, but make no mistake ACS / ACS-inc / ACS-education has made having a student loan a miserable experience. I make all of my payments on time and can not wait to be rid of this horrible company. In no other industry would such horrible client relations be acceptable and there is no one in our corner to protect us from them.

In addition to these problems their website software is either poorly written or poorly implemented. The one time they actually responded to one of my emails I was brought to a very unresponsive "secure email" web page that took literally 30+ seconds to load an individual page. The only 'response' I got on this secure email was another canned customer service message stating that I needed to use the secure email system. The pages layout was also broken (it looked like images were either missing or did not sit right in the webpage.) After being forced to create a second user name and password to use this application I have gotten, once again, no response. The entire experience is so poor I can only assume they are purposefully trying to prevent people from requesting support.
Comments United States Loans
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Jul, 2009 by   OhhmyGLoan +1 Votes
This is our experience with this company as well.
From the first e-mail contact I sent to them, they had a copy of my request for forbearance extension I was asking for a disposition on. It was in the body of an e-mail & all they had to do to read it was drop their eyes down a bit below a note to them. Instead of reading & responding to it, they asked for it in the form of an attachment. We sent an attachment as requested. Then they said they couldn’t read the attachment & asked for it in the form of a fax. We called a supervisor and got her so called “direct fax number” and faxed 2 copies to her along with 2 copies each to 2 other ACS fax numbers. They said the faxes were not received. Then they said they couldn’t locate my account—needed more information. Please note--by then they had a long list of e-mails from us in their secure system & apparently hadn't had the problem of locating the account before that. Then for 2 days, we couldn’t get access to their secure e-mail system where all the responses they had written were stored. At one point they sent a link to their most recent "response" that would take us into the secure mail system. The computer sat there for around an hour with a message on the screen saying:
"PGP Universal Starting
PGP Universal is currently starting. This page will automatically refresh every 10 seconds until the PGP Universal Server becomes available." After about an hour the indicator that showed progress for completion of the action was still less than halfway just as it had been when I first got the message. Finally just shut off the computer cuz' couldn't wait for the mail system to retrieve the e-mail any longer & assumed it was such a secure system that even the borrower couldn't access it! Now that's secure!
An ACS employee hung up the phone on me once. We hoped all these problems they seemed to be having reading an e-mail they already had weren't intentional, but at the very least this seemed grossly inefficient, so we contacted the federal ombudsman’s office for help. It was after that that we received a direct response to our attempts to communicate with them.
 14th of Jul, 2009 by   OhhmyGLoan +1 Votes
I was wondering if we were the only ones having problems with ACS customer service and did an internet search. That was when I saw the above entry from skelooth. By the way, I also saw the following. There seems to have been a pattern of privacy mishaps involving this company since
May 2005. From my experiences with them, I would wonder if these problems were due to inefficiency, although they certainly are not the only organizations to have exposed people's private data on the internet. Here are misshaps they have had:
• May 2005. Motorola:
The names and Social Security numbers of an unreported number of Motorola employees were on two computers stolen from ACS offices in Chicago. Although the number of individuals or records stolen was not reported in most articles, NSI lists the number as 30, 000, but does not cite their source for that number.
• February 2006. Denver International Airport:
Credit card information on people who paid by card for parking at the airport was on a backup tape stolen from ACS. The backup tape contained records for seven years. No number of records or individuals was estimated. In a case of locking the barn door after the horse is gone, DIA changed its procedures so that ACS was no longer allowed to store credit card information on any systems at DIA.
• August 2006. United States Department of Education:
During what should have been a routine software upgrade, ACS had a coding glitch on the DOE Direct Loan Servicing System web site, exposing the data of about 21, 000 student borrowers.
• October 2006. Colorado Department of Human Services:
A computer containing information on nearly 1 million recently hired Colorado employees and employees in other states, plus 500, 00 people involved in making enforced child support payments was stolen from ACS. An ACS employee was subsequently questioned, but no charges were filed and the computer was not recovered.
In 2007--A package containing a CD was being shipped from an Atlanta office of Affiliated Computer Services (ACS), to another company in Maryland. A computer disk containing personal information on about 2.9 million Georgians was lost in shipping. The data include Social Security numbers, birthdates and addresses of people on Medicaid and PeachCare for Kids. Maybe it was the error of the shipper--who knows? 16 other packages shipped from the office that same day arrived.

I'm not saying who was right and who was wrong in these situations & how ACS may have been at fault--only saying that I found this information when I did a search.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   TMK50500050 0 Votes
I'm extremely frustrated with ACS as well! I have been trying to increase my monthly payment amount for months now and they have failed to respond to my request. I have sent notification in writing (which they said they never received), I have called and spoke with two different supervisors, I have faxed the request and been assured my monthly payment amount would increase by the next payment date. But the payment stays the same, they reap in more in interest...
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   Scorsome +1 Votes
We have had and continue to have issues with ACS as well. Most recently we paid two payments via our Wachovia On-line bill pay and ACS sends us an invoice indicating we had not made payments and as a result tacked on excessive late charges to our account. I went to Wachovia and received printed verification that they paid our accounts and had proof that ACS deposited the monies into their ACS account. I faxed the information to the ACS Processing Department as well as e-mailed them. To date no response has been offered. I continue to check our account and the account still indicates our payments have not been received and the late charges are accruing. I have tried to contact them and one out of every three calls I get a recording that their system is down and information is not available. I finally reached a customer service respresentative yesterday who argued with me, was extremely rude, would not attempt to try to address our issue and ended with our account is going to be turned over to collections. My husband and I do not know what to do. We cannot afford an attorney and even if we had the money for an attorney, are doubtful anything can be done. We have everything from Wachovia Bank stating our payments were made and the proof they were deposited into the ACS account, however, we can do nothing. I wish someone could help us! Any thoughts?
 4th of Sep, 2009 by   Theresa28 +1 Votes
I have just spent the last half-hour/hour trying to use ACS's email system, which does not work, and hunting for an email that actually does.

(Just found this one emailsupport@acs-inc.com I got an automated response back, but at least it's something.)

You can tell them something several times and they do not listen. I have repeatedly, and legally, ask them not to call. They shut up for a while, and then start again.

This is not the best area in the country for jobs. Decent positions are just now beginning to open up, and I have applied, but not received answers or been turned down. I don't take any of this lightly. I never dreamed I'd be in this position.

I have applied for some, but have not received responses back from the latest applications. I'd like to have them happy with me, but until I have been hired somewhere for a while that's not going to happen.
 17th of Sep, 2009 by   ZD_SF 0 Votes
I am a 24 year old college grad. ACS handles both my federal and one of my private loans. They also aquired loans from CLC college loan corporation, and I had them consolidate my federal loans.

ACS is grossly mismanaged, their business policies, customer service practices, and technology (website, email, etc) are highly outdated, and inefficient.

I've had several issues with them over the past few years, whether it be difficulty getting answers (via email or on the phone), difficulty accessing account info, records, etc, and difficulty with payments. For example, if you send in one payment (via check or online banking) for various loans, they apply the check to the first loan on your account, then they send you a refund check for the rest of the money past what you owe on that account, and they charge you a late fee for not paying the other accounts. You don't find out that they did this until its too late, and if you blame them for the folly, they make you go through a drawn out process, talking to supervisors, complaining, etc, in order to get the charges removed.

ACS is a horrible Loan company, border line scam artists. I can't believe accredited colleges like mine allow this horrible company to handle millions of dollars worth of accounts.

Their website is a piece of garbage, I don't even know how it's certified as secure. With all the money they make in interest, you'd think they'd hire a smart development team and design a nice website, and have a thorough, modern customer service department.

I am considering transfering to another company, I have to find out the details, but anythign will be better than ACS. It's like basically dealing with a bunch of chimpanzees...actually, chimps might be easier to work with, and better with computers.
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   BSG_2009 +1 Votes
I am new to having ACS as a servicing agent for my student loans. Over the past 8 years I have been making regular automatically deducted student loan payments to Panhandle Plains Student Loan Center in Canyon, Texas. As of 18 Sept. 2009, ACS is taking over the servicing of my loan. I did not receive notification of this transfer from either PPSLC or ACS. Furthermore, ACS instituted a policy on all loans from ACS to not start automatic deductions for accounts identified as being "pre-paid", i.e. I've been paying more than my minimum payment for years and my next due date is not until sometime in 2011. I believe this is a covert action on the part of ACS to put people into non-payment status in an attempt to garner more profit for themselves in interest charges and late fees at the expense of college graduates just starting their careers. My experience with ACS is only 36 hours long at this point and I'm already asking around to find out which Federal agency has oversight responsibility for the companies that service guaranteed student loans. My advice to anyone with ACS is to check your account statements regularly and communicate only through certified mail with a return receipt. Obviously this part of the financial sector didn't learn any lessons over the past 12 months and is staffed with crooks and theives.
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   nrl +1 Votes
I am most frustrated with ACS's outmoded website. The interface is horrible. My husband's student loans are serviced through American Education Services and he can see each individual loan online and choose to apply more or less of an particular payment to each loan. I hate that on the ACS website I just see the totals. I would like to know more relevant information- such as how much I owe on each loan, their subsidized/unsubsidized status, etc. It took me weeks to change my address because every time I attempted to do it online the change never went through. I wish I could change companies.
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   grunt_docs_gal +1 Votes
Not only am I tired of their run around and rude customer service, not counting the abrubt letter that they are now in charge of my school loans, they've charged me double, charged me late fees when my due date wasn't even due yet. Then they ask me for proof of name change since I remarried within the past year and wanted copies of marriage license, driver's license and social card? Give me a break! Why so they can steal my identity! I told them my signature was good enough. Then I'm on defferment and they've lost my paperwork and have sent it to them 3 times!!! Who are these people!
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   grunt_docs_gal +1 Votes
Just wanted to say after my last post a few minutes ago. I took it upon myself to do my own investigation into ACS. I called Panhandle Plains and they said they were bought out by ACS. ACS is a Fortune 500 Company based out of NY with offices in D/FW and other cities. I was told that the CEO is Mr. Lynn Blodgett and ACS aka Affiliated Computer Services was founded by Darwin Deason in 1988.
The link below is a webpage from their site on their student loan services. Some of you may want to do your own searching on these people and send them your own piece of mind as I plan to do. Hope this helps someone. Oh, and check out their mission statement on their "core values", what a joke!

8th of Nov, 2009 by   Sh0rtyjo +1 Votes
I totally agree! ACS is the worst student loan company ever. (Followed by SLFC) My loans were originally with SLFC and then sold to ACS. Only, I was never informed that they were sold until MONTHS after ACS was in control of them. Therefore all of the payments I had sent to SLFC were not being forwarded to ACS and I was accruing late fees! Finally, after many, many phone calls, e-mails and faxes, I was able to get the payments forwarded to ACS. Here is where the new problem occurred. My 3 original loans were separated into 6 loans based on dispersement date. Then the payments that had been forwarded were applied to the wrong loans and wrong amounts. My payments originally were $332, $75, and $16. They decided to apply the $332 to the loan that cost $16 dollars a month, and the $16 to the loan that was $332/month. Needless to say, it didn't make sense. THEN after repeated phone calls, more late fees, and more e-mails, nearly 6 months later, I was able to get it all straightened out. (Or so I thought) How ridiculous! The last straw was when I realized that my payments were not going towards the premium. SLFC and ACS claim I signed an "interest only" promissory note (which I would never do) but were unable to provide a copy of "said" document upon written request. What a mess. I'd rather file bankruptcy then pay these people.
 16th of Nov, 2009 by   DUHockey9 +1 Votes
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting through and getting help? I'm having big issues as well.

I consolidated through Chase who does their processing through ACS. One of the loans I consolidated was through ACS originally. The consolidation goes through, yet when I log into ACS I still see my original loan + the consolidation loan. If the consolidation is there (and they do expect me to pay it) the original loan should not be, but they are both there and I basically have $36, 000 being counted twice, that I'm expected to pay.

I really need some help. Does anybody have any advice?
 16th of Nov, 2009 by   francenedresser +1 Votes
ACS Phone number in Utica, NY is 315-738-2200.Call anyone of these people here and compain
Val Koch- Facilities Manager
Jean Lewis vice president tel.315-738-6671
karen smith
dave young director
gary eychner director
mike palmetto director
sara mccan business operations
 20th of Nov, 2009 by   TexasTeacher62 +1 Votes
ACS is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. I was my previous lender for more than 8 years and never had one single complaint. My school loans were transferred to ACS this year, but I wasn't notified until after they took the automatic draft out of my account. They debited a different amount than my previous lender, so I didn't know who was taking money out of my account or why. About a week after the money was taken out, I finally received a letter explaining that the loan had been transferred and I was on automatic drafts. I received a second letter around the same time saying if I was on automatic draft with my previous lender, it would stay the same with ACS. However, the next month ACs didn't take any money out at all. When I called to find out why, they said I wasn't on automatic draft and never had been. I argued with the lady and when she finally went to check, she discovered that I had been on the draft. She explained that a teacher forgiveness loan was being processed, and that as soon as it was completed they would straighten out my account and remove the "late payment" notation on my account. She said at that time my automatic payments would resume. I didn't really believe her, so I tried to register on their website to look at my account. I kept getting a message that someone else with an account was using my social security number. Obviously, they were sending my password to an e-mail account that I haven't used for at least 6 or 7 years. I called again today. Of course, I couldn't understand the first person I talked to, so I asked for someone else. I eventually ended up talking to a "supervisor" - at least, he claimed to be a supervisor. The final verdict is that, no matter how much they mess up your account, they are not responsible for anything. It is your fault, your responsibility, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I already hate this company with a passion after being with them for less than two months.
 7th of Dec, 2009 by   Edvv 0 Votes
I can't agree more with all of the above. My sons school loans were transferred to ACS sometime last year and I did not get notification of the transfer. I continued to pay to the previous lender and then started getting harrassing phone calls from ACS telling me I was overdue on payments. Then when I accidently applied a several payments to the wrong school loan they would not reverse it and apply it to the one that was due.
Now they are reporting to my credit report as being overdue on one school loan by 120 days when in fact it was applied to the other loan.
 15th of Dec, 2009 by   unhappyrepayer 0 Votes
Add me to the list of folks who find ACS employees to be incompetent. I received verification that they successfully rec'd a fax which they claim they never got. Their fax machine must have been down. HUH? This is a huge company, they mostly likely have a fax server...and they should damned well know if that is screwed up or not. I called and finally got a supervisor who said I could fax it directly to her fax which I did...and she promised to call me to verify she got it. I NEVER got that call.

I tried emailing instead of calling and got a reply from someone who thinks coating is the same as quoting and said someone was just "coating" me over the phone. Well that is a lie because I never got anything "coated" much less Quoted to me over the phone for a repayment plan I was applying for. I faxed in the documentation! I do not recommend anyone use their worthless email system.

And I guess company that size can't keep their fax working either, what a load of crap.

Then I got an answer that say it was based on my interest rate, but my interest rate went down, not up, so my payment didn't need to go up! Two emails later they said it was based on my gross income, well duh that's what all the forms say and what I have been emailing and asking about all along.

They have many negative complaints at BBB even though they are not a member. I may add to that collection.

I can't figure out how they apply any extra funds I send in, either, but I'm not sure I even want to try to look at that.
 7th of Jan, 2010 by   lupita CJ 0 Votes
ACS really angers me as well! My original lender also sold my loan to them during the time when I was actually trying to consolidate my loan! The consolidating company sent a check to my original lender (before they sold my loan to ACS), however neither ACS or my original lender claim to have received a check! Therefore I'm currently being billed by ACS (I shouldn't be billed) and the consolidating company I used! I'm receiving TWO bills for the same loan! Very upsetting and frustrating. ACS customer service representatives are very incompetent and appear to be reading off their computer screenings not listening to my concerns!! To top it off, when I request to speak to a supervisor, I'm put on hold for about 10minutes and then "suddenly" my call gets disconnected and I never reach a supervisor!!

If anyone out there resolved their issues with ACS please, please let me know how you accomplished this !
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   kimo55 0 Votes
My experience with ACS has, so far been, been negative. Repayment of my student loan began on 12/28/09, however, I was expecting to receive a bill but didn't get one. As a result my payment became past due and I had to pay a high late fee. I registered to login on their website but I'm currently having problems logging in. When I contacted customer service, I was met with rudeness and apathy. I was put on hold for about ten minutes and then cut off. I tried calling back but couldn't get through. I contacted ACS by email and recieved an autolmated response and no subsequent response after that. I wanted to make payments online, but due to the problems I've been having with the website, my payments will again be past due again. This really worries me If this is the kind of service I can expect from ACS.
 12th of Feb, 2010 by   mont_33r 0 Votes
Dear Resolution Management Group (Cc: PPSLC Customer Service):

I agree with all the preceding complaints. I sent ACS (both the e-mail support and the complaint-resolution addresses) the following:

Last week was just the most recent example of my having spoken with an ACS representative and then with this representative's supervisor. This supervisor acknowledged my concerns and then, of her own free will, offered to give me "a callback" by close of business on Friday, February 12.

Today is Friday, February 12, and this supervisor did not call me back as promised.

My ongoing and as yet unresolved issue with ACS Education is as follows: ACS Education bought my consolidation loans from the Panhandle Plains Student Loan Center (PPSLC) sometime between June and September of 2009. While my loan with with PPSLC, my minimum loan payment was $139/month. However, beginning on July 3, 2006, I increased my payment amount to $250/month. I also made a large payment of $1, 452.12 to PPSLC on December 10, 2006. On July 2, 2007, I resumed making monthly payments of $139. By federal law, my paying more than the minimum due advanced my next due date into the future. PPSLC records showed that my next payment would not be due until June 1, 2011.

In addition, from June through August of 2009, I enrolled in summer classes at Blinn College-Bryan Campus (main campus in Brenham, TX). I applied for and received an in-school deferment for these three months. However, when ACS took over my loan from PPSLC, I received a notice that a payment was due in September 2009.

It would appear that ACS, when taking over my loan from PPSLC, assumed that the entire delay between that time and my due date in 2011 was attributable to the academic deferment, when such was not the case. My deferment for being in school was scheduled to end after only 3 months, and the rest of the grace period in my due date is solely from my having made larger-than-required payments when my loan was still with PPSLC.

Despite my having explained this situation to several representatives, all of whom have claimed to submit my account to the research department, I continue to receive notices for payments due. Being a creditworthy borrower, I have made every payment faithfully, including the one that is due on February 14, 2010. However, I was not expecting to be making loan payments during this time, which was the whole reason for my having prepaid such a large sum of my balance (see preceding paragraphs).

Moreover, when I spoke with an ACS representative most recently, the woman I spoke with claimed that she had no record of my having sent in any such explanation to ACS previously. I knew this to be incorrect because I have clear e-mail records of those messages. I asked to speak with her supervisor, who also could not verify my having contacted ACS in December 2009. All she could find was a record from January 2010 -- I believe January 16 -- and she said that it would take 16 days for the research department to get in touch about my situation. Only after I told her that I had records of my December messages did she then suddenly locate them. Presumably the research department needed to contact PPSLC to verify the payment history that I have provided. Even so, 16 days from December 2009 does not equal February 12, 2010. This supervisor promised that she would call me back by Friday, February 12 -- that's today -- to inform me of the findings made by the research department. I asked her to be sure to contact me regardless of the outcome, even if the research had not been completed yet. She assured me that she would, and I know that this phone conversation was recorded.

Your supervisor did not contact me. I canceled two appointments today so that I would be home to receive any such call.

My frustration with the failure of your staff to follow up with customers is secondary to the original issue: I should not be having to make student loan payments until September 14, 2011. I have in my hands account deferment information from both PPSLC and ACS, the latter of which indicates that my next payment due date should not be until September 14, 2011. Someone at ACS apparently assumed that my due date in 2011 was all because of my in-school deferment, when in reality my deferment was only for 3 months. My due date was then changed accordingly, which was incorrect. My 3-month in-school deferment was indeed supposed to end. Nevertheless, I had made several large payments to PPSLC that pushed my due date farther into the future, regardless of my in-school deferment.

My repeated attempts to explain this situation to your representatives has resulted only in more delays and in unkept promises. Also, there is a considerable language barrier. I mean no disrespect, but your representatives are overseas, my guess is India, and although they are courteous and professional, they are not addressing my needs.

Please, please have someone knowledgeable and able to fix this situation contact me. I am frustrated and running out of patience.
 21st of Feb, 2010 by   Jefferson1 0 Votes
I'm having a huge issue with ACS... I consolidated my loans through OneSimpleLoan, which got bought out by CFS-Suntech, which got bought out by Chase. Each time a buyout occurs, my payment history is maintained and I finally received a 1% interest deduction after my 36th ontime payment. Now Chase's federal student loan division just got bought out by ACS and they are claiming that my ontime benefit resets. How can they breach my original agreement like that?

Avoid Phishing that Claims to Be from IRS