logo

Safecart
Internet Defender
2. (31 mins ago)
Taradale registry
Bad customer services from staff/ owner/manger
3. (37 mins ago)
Fubar.com
This site is one of two of the biggest "scam sites" that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with
4. (44 mins ago)
FRAUD, CHEATING

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

A1 American Plumbing, Virginia Beach, Virginia Complaints & Reviews - PRICE GOUGING, BAD RESPONSE TIME!

A1 American Plumbing Contacts & Informations

A1 American Plumbing

Posted:    Kathy D

PRICE GOUGING, BAD RESPONSE TIME!

A1 American Plumbing
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Phone: 757-474-2200
The phonebook ad claims "Fast Emergency Service". I called around 9pm on a Sunday night and was told the soonest they could send someone out was Monday between 9 and 11 am. The plumber called at 10:30 and said he'd be at my house in 30 minutes. By 11:30, he still had not arrived. I called the company and asked where he was. I was told they'd call and locate him and call me back. Finally he arrived about 10 minutes later, no apology for his lateness. We were charged a $78 fee just for him to come out and tell us that it would cost $780 to replace a 6-inch piece of pipe. I immediately called another plumber who quoted me "no more than $150" and they could arrive at my house by 5pm. We had to pay A1 American $78 just to tell us a jacked up price! What a SCAM!
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Feb, 2010 by   S.D +1 Votes
On 2/20/2010 (a Saturday) I was replacing fence posts in my yard and discovered my sewer pipe. Then I discovered it had a hole in it. I called A-1 American Plumbing. That was my first mistake. Bob told me that if he came out on a weekend it would cost me $150.00 non-refundable service charge just to show up. If I waited till Monday it would be a $78.00 service charge and if I agreed to have the repair done, he would deduct the $78.00 from the price of the job. I made the appointment for them to come out on that following Monday (2/22/10). Bob told me they would be there between 9 am and noon. I had to make arrangements to leave work to be there when the plumber arrived. At 11:30 am, there still was no plumber so I called the office. They told me that I was on his route sheet for the day. About 12:00 noon I got a call from the plumber saying he was running about 30 minutes late. He finally showed up at 1:00 pm. There was no lettering on the truck. As soon as he got out of the truck he had me sign the invoice for the $78.00 before he looked at the job. Then he looked at the job. I already had a 3 foot by 3 foot hole dug and the sewer pipe was exposed and the damaged part of the pipe was clearly visable. He said he had to go to the truck and call the boss and get a price. When he returned he had a price of $820.97 minus the 15% coupon I had from the telephone book was $714.97. Well, when I saw that I pretty much lost all my sense of professionalism! I told him that his boss should be ashamed of himself to even think of a price like that for a job so simple. When he saw how irate I was, he commenced to tell me that he was just the messenger and he gets this type of thing all the time. This place has the audasity to call itself A-1 "AMERICAN". They should be ashamed of themselves to even associate themselves with Americans with the business practices they employ! Since I am somewhat of a handyman myself, I went to the local home improvement store and bought the materials to complete this job and I had it done in 15 minutes. At 55 years old, I really didn't feel like this was something I wanted to do myself, not because of any complexity, but because I didn't feel like getting on my stomach and cutting sewer pipe. But after the experience with A-1 I managed just fine. I wasn't looking for a hand out, I was willing to pay a fair price for an honest job. I really don't know how those people at A-1 can look themselves in the mirror.
 27th of Mar, 2010 by   edoardo +2 Votes
I totally agree with the dissatisfaction by customers of A1American plumbing. As far as i am concerned they are gravely overpriced and perform their responsibilities at a level lower than a politician or used car salesman. I was charged over $1200.00 for the installation of a new hot water heater. I was at fault for accepting the contract to perform the work however i was never provided with an itemized invoice that would indicate the cost of labor and the cost of materials. i have spoken with numerous company personnel over a lengthy period of time requesting an itemized invoice that also would identify the warranty period and have I have been given the run around with idiotic reasons and excuses. It only leads me to believe that they grossly overcharged me and don't want me to know about it.
Don't trust this group.
 4th of Dec, 2012 by   BRJIII +2 Votes
High price!!! Here is the bill from yesterday to replace my hot water heater:
1 ea. 40 gal power vent water heater : $2799.65
1 ea. 3/4" cxc ball valve: $271.74
1 ea. expansion tank install: $896.69
total: $3968.08
Bill after a so called discount: $2499.00
I told them what I thought of their Rip Off price, but it didn't bother them at all.
Be Warned if you contract with them to do any type work you will be RIPPED OFF.
There are many honest local plumbers in this area, do your homework and find one.
 8th of Jul, 2013 by   Fredgray +1 Votes
I can't believe this company is still in business. They have a pattern of excessive charges. They are the proud owners of an F rating from the BBB. Hopefully the DA will investagate them soon.
 29th of Jul, 2013 by   everman +1 Votes
I called A1 about my AC Unit. I took off work early to meet them. Four hour later and severel calls they finally arrived. He really didn’t look to long, I could tell he wanted to go home. He told me it was the capacitor or the fan motor. He would be back in the morning with the parts. He returns and then tells me I need a new AC and duct work. It was not the parts he originally stated. He gave me a price of 9600 with an online discount. He kept going on and on about his knowledge of the systems and was very pushy. I smelled a con job from a mile away. Refused and had to pay the 78$ for them to show. I called another company and my AC is up and working for 300$. Watch out if you use A1!!! I’m still in shock that this company can get away with overcharging and ripping people off. Warning everyone I know.
 17th of Feb, 2014 by   Chilson +1 Votes
Yep, I got ripped off too by A-1. They charged me $775 to replace a gas valve in the furnace. Asked the technician how much for the part, did not know and that he is told what to charge. He put in a temporary valve, ordered a new one and returned in two days to install. He spent at the very most, about one hour at the house. Looked up on line cost of valve, they run around $100. That means I paid this guy $675 for one hour of work, more like forty minutes. I believe in free enterprise but this is legalized robbery. The bill is not even broken down to parts and labor. Called A-1 to file a complaint, that was a joke, these guys should run for office, become a politician.
 19th of Mar, 2014 by   shrry miller +1 Votes
I CALLED A1aMERICA TWO GUYS CAME OUT AS THEY SAID, I ALREADY KNEW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS, THEY WERE JUST SHOCKED I WOULD NOT GIVE IN TO THERE RIDICULOUS PRICE OF 375.00 FOR A DIVERTER VALVE.WHAT COMPANY IN I DON'T KNOW WHO'S NAME PUT A 3.76 DIVERTER VALVE IN FOR 375.00 .A1aMERICA WE CHARGE YOU NOT BY THE HOUR BUT BY THE JOB, BUT GUESS WHAT, I FOUND A STEP STEP BY STEP YOU TUBE VIDEO, MODERN DAY, FIX IT MY SELF I AM AM 40 YEAR OLD WOMEN, STEP BY STEP VIDEO.3.96 FIXEDFIXED, NO PROBLEMS! A1 charged m$78.00 for what I learned online, NEVER, EVER, AGAIN, AND I WANT RECOMMEND YOUR COMPANY to any of the nurses I work with.
 17th of Aug, 2014 by   Another unhappy customer X1000000 +1 Votes
I agree with all of these reviews. I was overcharged too and wish I would
have checked previous customer
reviews before I called them. I will never use again and would not recommend

How to Buy a Photo Printer