Posted: 2013-01-17 by

Small Business Owner here and I'm here to tell you Yelp is the worst! ONLINE EXTORTION! Had a couple good reviews on yelp months back but the yelp listings was on the 9th or 10th page on google organically. Got a negative review and then all my good reviews...about 29 got somehow "filtered" so that my potenial customers only see the negative review...this negative review is now on the FIRST page of google in searching our particular catagory online...once that review went live the sales folks at yelp kept calling and implied if I paid that somehow my good reviews may re-apper. They tell me that a customer has the right to say negative things which is true but my clients that have posted good reviews have a right to have them seen as well! Yelp tells me that they have no control over the "filter" seems odd that none of my good reviews can be seen and the only bad one can...NOT FAIR!!!
YELP IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF...no other review site filters...you get the good with the bad...google local...angies list, service majic, home pro they all post both the good and the bad...IF you are a small business owner...never register with yelp.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful?

13th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes

Yelp.com - complaints ystematically removed

My rational and concise complaints were all removed from yelp.com.

Yelp has thus negated its purpose for existing which is to provide both the bad and good consumer experiences.

Will no longer waste my time posting on yelp.
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
There was a complant about Bayside Market of Traverse City Michigan the one compant was not true about the compant about them was a employee it was would be nice if you reved it if you like you can remove both complants.
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
THIS from Bayside Market They said that I work for them and they let me go this is not true and they said they did not do the job right
 8th of Mar, 2012 by    0 Votes

Yelp.com - They blast negative reviews all over the web

This site is a very biased site. They blast negative reviews all over the web. They hide favorable reviews and in some cases actually remove them for no reason. That is unless you advertise with them. If you pay their advertising fees the negative reviews will disappear and the the positive will be highlighted. How do owners of these types of scams live with themselves. Oh well one day they will be judged whether by our courts or a higher one!
 10th of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
Why don't you go to the tv news consumer to expose this. I have noticed my good reviews never show up. I wondered why and I now understand. This is a fancy form of blackmail to get businesses to advertise with them. That is not how they present themselves.
 30th of May, 2012 by    0 Votes
YELP is practically ruining small business' reputation like real estate agencies around Boston, YELP surely is being paid for by bigger real estate to post only negative comments about these business and filter the good reviews. I find this practice by YELP unfair, hateful. My good reviews about a great small real estate agency in Brighton were filtered. YELP should be fined, or put OUT OF BUSINESS by authorities because it seems if they are NOT PAID, they trash small business everywhere in USA.
 19th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes

Yelp.com - filtered reviews
San Francisco

Yelp keeps filtering out legitimate reviews. As soon as a client puts a review on my http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-night-to-remember-sacramento they filter them out!
This is driving me nuts! how can they justify filtering out only the good reviews?
I am open to a class action lawsuit against yelp if someone starts one up!
 11th of Aug, 2012 by    0 Votes
Yelp are being protected by the BBB as I reported them and was told even though they state quite honestly "if you pay us we will help you big time, but if you refuse get ready to have your online reputation destroyed" there is nothing the BBB can do because they told the truth up front lol.

The BBB even admitted that they had been told by Yelp the same as me when they were contacted the very fact they were honest meant they would keep their rating!!
 15th of Aug, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am in the massage business in New Jersey, and having the same problem with Yelp.com
I will just paste an email letter of complaint that i sent to them a few hours ago. I don't even want to be on their site anymore
I just want them to delete my business, but they refused to do so. is it legal for Yelp to prevent people from
removing their listing from their site?
This is the email i sent them tonight: Dear Yelp.com:
You have moved 10 reviews for my business to your filtered folder, four of them within
the last 2 weeks or so. This is clearly an act of bias and hostility on your part, against my business; and it is
a disturbing invalidation of your FAQ on Filtered Reviews.

It seems like you are conducting an orchestrated campaign to maintain a low rating and a
very negative image of my business in the eyes of the public. You are very much aware that businesses such
as my own, are easily vulnerable to 'nasty' public comments. In the meantime, your sales people have
contacted me to purchase advertising on your website.

I reaffirm my request to have my listing deleted from your website, Yelp.com for reasons stated previously, and
for new reasons stated above.
 5th of Mar, 2014 by    +1 Votes
The same thing basically happened to us. The question is "what do you do about it?" I emailed Yelp to be able to respond to the negative reviews, but cannot access the account that I set up with them. After several emails requesting a conversation with someone to fix the problem, I am still waiting (since Sept 2013) The bad reviews are visible and all of the good reviews are hidden, although a month ago, the good reviews were also visible (or recommended). When I checked today, the same good reviews visible a month ago are now "not recommended". Why? who knows that Logic??
So I am guessing Yelp is some sort of automated Droid, incapable of making coherent decisions, or it is a run by a group of unethical humans with only some sort of profit motive driving them. Either way - i believe It will self destruct in time.
I will spend my time improving my business and trying to listen to my customers to provide the best service possible. We are doing better than ever despite Yelp. I do not use it anymore for recommendations of any kind because it is not reliable.
 8th of Jun, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I am a small business Owner of a Nail & Beauty Salon in NY who concurs with the above comments about Yelp. They are definitely driven by their Sales Department who conspires to make you buy into a monthly note ($$$) in order to keep your good reviews up and not filtered. Even after sending many emails in reference to my complaint it was just a wait of time, and really make it their business to punish you by taken down any reviews that make your business be more competitive in the area your located. So, if you are thinking about uses Yelp to promote your business look out for the trap!!! Your better off creating your own web site than put up with their nonsense. Good Luck
 11th of Dec, 2014 by    +1 Votes
For years, Yelp has been publicly accused of extortion—asking for money from businesses that are automatically listed on the site in exchange for preferred placement on the site. There are also accusations of abruptly vanishing positive reviews and suddenly appearing negative reviews.
Yelp has been doing this to me for several months.
They call me wanting me to pay them a minimum of $200.00 a month to advertise. When I refuse and warn them not to call me anymore, they take a few of my (5 star) reviews and hide them.
I had 13 (5 star) reviews and now I only have 4 of them... the rest are hidden.
Yelp continues to call me (even though I told them not to). And every time I refuse to pay (or I complain about their extortion scam) another 5 star review disappears.
MEANWHILE, Another fake (1 star) bad review suddenly appears on my yelp page... the person wasn't even a customer of mine.
I contacted yelp and rode-their-ass to remove this review for violation Yelp's rules. Yelp not only left it up, but when I hung up the phone, another % star review was taken down.
It's clear that Yelp Flags small businesses that don't pay the extortion money and bullies these businesses untill they do.
 11th of Dec, 2014 by    0 Votes
Yelp just took another 5 star review down after I put a Yelp complaint on my Facebook page.

Where's my F***ing gun!!