logo

FRAUD

Laureate Education -- FOR PROFIT
www.walden.edu
Minneapolis, Minnesota
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME. EXPENSIVE MISTAKE. Six months into my PhD program, I changed the focus of my major and the enrollment advisor kicked me out of the entire school instead of transferring me into the new major. I had to wait months for the program to begin again, and there was a negative mark on my report (i.e. dropping out of school--but I didn't). I never had anything less than As while in the program. And on top of that, I was continuously ill-advised for the KAM independent study program. The academic advisors kept insisting that I needed to take intro classes at $2, 000 + per class over and over (3x) to be exact. It was the SAME material for each class. When I asked the head of the department he called and said, I'm sorry we can only credit you $200 of the $6, 000 but "I hope we can be friends at some point." Other reps said I should have absolutely been credited the entire amount. The faculty is nothing more than a revolving door of looney tunes that are rookies and just there to take your every penny. I am SO glad I am out of there but regret ALL of the effort and time to obtain straight As and calls made to try to understand the continued Administrative abyss of gross errors. THIS SCHOOL IS A NIGHTMARE.
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Feb, 2011 by   ALEX GRZYBINSKI III 0 Votes
YOUR RIGHT THIS SCHOOL IS A NIGHT-MARE AND I'M ONLY IN THE FIRST QUARTER SO FAR
1. dropped twice explanation computer error and thats a good one how does a computer drop you erase all your grades, , class particpation, like you did'nt exist
2. Second drop to try to correct we contacted instructor to see if can come to a resilution i still had the possibility of being screwed when i did'nt do anything
3. Finacial Aid notified same day started paperwork sameday to tell the banks for loans and pell grant i'm dropped but here's a good one i was re-registered same day charged again for same class and its up to me to get my money back from them
4.i had to ask them where my pell grant was explanation it was in there office aka ""Bursar Office unopened but they made sure they got there money from my loans
5. loans re-payment excess to me 10 weeks into class before refund pell grant they have investigate come up with decision favorable to me wont get it until before next quarter if then
6.they refuse to give contact number for Bursar Office they don't talk to students they only reply to e-mails
7. final comment these people can't understand why i got up-set
8. give me another college and these people got a A- with BBB

thanx for your time alex grzybinski
 11th of Feb, 2011 by   ALEX GRZYBINSKI III +1 Votes
up-date forgot the good one my son is in verification since November and there question to me showed me there intelligence they could'nt read a 1040A they wanted me to explain to them my refund amount what is it !!! because this mess my son alex 4th is now in collection they want to know when they are getting paid they want him to take out a personal loan through them not the subsidized kind or unsubsized this college is a joke the right hand dose'nt know what the left hand is doing MY WARNING INSTEAD OF REGISTERING WITH THIS SCHOOL HEAD FOR THE HILLS AND DON'T LOOK BACK
ALEX GRZYBINSKI IV
 11th of Feb, 2011 by   Run Don't Walk +1 Votes
I'm so sorry you had to experience all of this as well Alex. It's hard enough being a student and achieving the goals you've set out for yourself...without having to spend even more time and money on the admin side of your education. Each time I phoned to find a solutions to the growing nightmare someone new got on the phone who did not know what the previous person said. Each person provided different information and I learned what a revolving door the faculty and admin staff really is. You are lucky you didn't spend as much time with this school as I did. HUGE WASTE from every angle. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB, Consumer Affairs and the Department of Education. Just because they are for-profit doesn't mean that they can get away with anything they deem necessary. If for-profit education systems are run like this...laws need to be passed ASAP to regulate this abuse. You will do well--it's worth it to attend another college!!
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   zeusisthedog 0 Votes
I am getting ready to start my third quarter with Walden University and I am happy with the instructors they are great. The problem is with their administration. They do not return phone calls or emails and then when they do they make excuses for the person or persons you are complaining about. The financial aid department is a joke. The sit on your financial aid until the very last minute. They offer you the opportunity to receive up to $500 for a book loan and then they wait until the day before your classes start to release the funds and you have to go through your first week and sometimes your second week without your books. Many students rely on their financial aid to get them through college and Walden keeps raising the tuition and technology fee prices and they can give you no information as to why just that it is policy. They also assured me that I would not have any residency requirements for my MS program and now they are telling me in order to graduate in December, I will have to complete a quarter of residency somewhere in my field of study. Most often these residency programs are in Florida or some other state that is 500 miles away from me. Many students cannot do this because of family obligations, work obligations, or other obligations. However they do not give you an option. I cannot believe the BBB has given them an A- rating. Something is seriously wrong here.
 12th of Apr, 2011 by   gary29ny 0 Votes
Amen. I am graduating (Ed. D.) now & have been in the program 4 years. If I were to list all of their errors, including, but far from limited to financial issues, I'd run out of space. Here's my favorite though. After writing 3 chapters of my dissertation, the professor of the course I was in told me the entire thrust of my dissertation study needed to be revised. That meant I had to discard tens of hours of research and spend tens of hours doing additional research. Done. I got an A in the course. Next course. Next professor says (in effect) "What were you thinking?!" And tells me to re-discard (a new word discovered by Walden students) what I had done and un-discard (another one) what I had previously discarded.

Next: When I was ready to defend, one of the professors (and I use the term VERY loosely) could not be found to schedule the online meeting. My advisor (who thak God was wonderful and helpful) could not track him down by voice or email. Finally, after waiting for 2 weeks, we scheduled. Of course, by then my stay at Walden had entered another term and they ALWAYS have the meter running. And don't get me started on their computer system.

They are clearly a business first, last, and always, and an educational institution not at all. From a legal standpoint they probably fly just under the litigation radar. From a moral perspective, they are effectively scam artists. From an educational perspective, they are blatantly incompetent.
 13th of May, 2011 by   UnhappyGraduate1212 0 Votes
I agree with the administration at Walden. I graduated over a year ago, with an MBA, and still have not received my degree in the mail, and have not yet received official transcripts. I have e-mailed their support team, as directed on their website, and have never even received a response. It seems once the money from a student stops flowing in, they don't respond. When I was a student and e-mailed the support team, I always received a response rather quickly. I guess they have forgotten the golden rule, that graduates are your best word-of-mouth advertising, and alumni like me would never donate to them. My undergraduate degree, obtained at a brick-mortar university, still contacts me, sends me newsletters, etc...even after 20 years from graduation date. Walden better tighten up the ranks if they want to continue to be a reputable university.
 5th of Jul, 2011 by   janel WU sent my aid back +1 Votes
Committee chair seems to have as many questions as me. Too new to advise. FInancial aide office a joke, give misinformation and then forfeit your aid. Of course you have no means to fight back. They just tell you 'no problem' and then it's too late to fix it.
 13th of Jul, 2011 by   UNHAPPYSTUDE +1 Votes
I CAN NOT FIND SOMEONE TO FILL OUT A CLEARANCE LETTER TO TRANSFER. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THIS SCHOOL ANYMORE.
 24th of Aug, 2011 by   watchnow +1 Votes
Such a sad rip off in this time of economic devastation. People leap into the slick promotions of an easey degree thinking it will lead to more income--it does not!!! The evidence is chilling as to the actual placement and income ratio for the money spent. Congress is examining and trying to stop this evil bait and switch practice that preys on the vulnerable and the gullible.
 7th of Sep, 2011 by   pisseddafuckoff +2 Votes
I was recently an employee of this university and i resinged 2 weeks ago. They are holding my last paycheck due to "charges i incured". Are you fucking serious? What possible charges could i have made? I have tied multiple times to contact and they baned me from the grounds. I am filing a suit against them. Students look else where you would be better off going to a community college! This university IS a RIPOFF! They only want your money. In the department i worked in I would have to say out of 18 employees 3 including me were really there for the students. Pay was great but i can not work for a college that i am not proud of. Be aware. And there asses are mine!
 23rd of Feb, 2012 by   jbsapp8 +1 Votes
Walden University scammed me. Had me believing that financial aid through fafsa would take care of cost just like it did with the college I was attending before switching to Walden. However after they got me registered and started then over half way through the quarter/semester they say that My account is on hold because of my outstanding balance. witch is over $1000 dollars. They said that I was supposed to accept their loans program things for the tuition's etc etc.. & so that I owe that now. I withdrew from them immediately and would not recommend that school to anyone unless you feel like getting screwed over.
 9th of May, 2012 by   Dr Dual +1 Votes
No wonder their "enrollment advisers" sound like cold calling sales reps! Reminds me of South Harmon Institute of Technology.
 17th of Jun, 2012 by   ora1000 +1 Votes
Walden is a totally mill school stealing money from the federal government and does not allow black people to graduate. They are rude disrespctful and discrimatory. I left after 7 years trying to get a phd in ed technology and noone could help me finish ut. ai am filing a law suit to get my money back.
 17th of Jun, 2012 by   ora1000 +1 Votes
I am sorry about the spelling, i am just seriously annoyed and out of over 200, 000.00,
 8th of Aug, 2012 by   Mitryna Speciosa +1 Votes
My thoughts of attending this fine university have been crushed! You industrious people have swayed my judgment and now I must move on to other venues. TNX for the heads up as all can not be bad. Your reviews have been valued. I am a prison nurse that learns from the mistakes of criminals; today I learned from the mistakes of the abused. Point of consideration is not to attend this controversial venue. Bye Bye. I did the Spell Check so you can not prove that I am ate up too much.
 10th of Feb, 2013 by   Equality Education 0 Votes
It is a shamed that these incidents occurred. I wonder why these students and other students could not go to the next level of administrators with their allegations for resolutions. I believe these institutions are obligated by law to have the appropriate avenues for the student report financial incidents and other incidents about the institutions. If not resolve, than the student should be able to go outside the institution to report the incident to FASFA, Board of Education and other Federal Agencies for investigation (after ever avenue is exhausted within the institute, first).
No student should be cheated out of Financial Aid or be deny of an education because of human error or greed by an institution.
 19th of Feb, 2013 by   CaptRVDUSAFACAP 0 Votes
I've attended Walden University since 2008 and so far my experience has been good. I received a master’s in psychology in 2010 and was offered a master’s level mental health job within 6 months of graduating. Now I’m working on my Master’s in Mental Health Counseling. Unfortunately, losers like you all make it harder for folks like us that DO make the school work by your slanderous and libelous comments posted online! The only complaint I have is with the racial tension that is often created by mostly black female students in the some of the mental health counseling courses. They have clearly sucked up the anti-white and anti-European American racist crap that was spewed in their multicultural counseling class. Lastly, I have previously earned a master’s degree at another school and have been a licensed professional since 1991. I suspect all Walden U complainers are out of their league in an online learning environment and thus should go to community college where it could take 6 years or more to get an undergraduate degree. Good Luck with that!
 18th of Mar, 2013 by   JFCRG 0 Votes
I have been attending Walden University since 2010 in the Clinical Psychology program and have not had one negative issue with this University. The course work is rigourous to say the least but very challengng and worth the effort. It sadens me to hear of these horror stories which give the University a very bad reputation, but not in my view. I highly recommend the programs to working individuals like myself who was given the opportunity to study online. Online course work is not easy.
 23rd of Jun, 2013 by   Lukeant 0 Votes
It's funny that most of the negative complaints are people who needed their hand held to be able to learn. I will be finished with my B.S. in Political Science and Public Administration next summer. I have no complaints, except maybe one teacher that didn't participate as much as I would've liked him to. I really get a kick out of some of the spelling by the people on this board that didn't finish their degree. No wonder why you couldn't get through to administration, they couldn't understand you!!
 22nd of Oct, 2013 by   Joseph Haefner 0 Votes
Folks,

I am filing a lawsuit against Walden University. I have documented their tricks and encourage anyone interested to email me their story/complaint against Walden University. There are a few in my growing group who want to make this a class action suit. Anyone interested in helping, please send me an email at haefnerjjh@aol.com.

4 Cheap Mosquito Repellants