logo

Fraud and cheating

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

vacation services of america, Branson, Missouri Complaints & Reviews - unfair/unethical business practices

vacation services of america Contacts & Informations

vacation services of america

Posted:    lori

unfair/unethical business practices

Vacation Services of America
Branson, Missouri
My elderly parents were recently lured into Vacation Services of America to listen to a presentation of their travel club in exchange for a free stay in a condo. My dad repeatedly told 3 salespeople that they were not interested in their membership for themselves since my mom has Alzheimers and my dad has health issues making it difficult for them to travel. They were high pressured into buying a lifetime membership for themselves and 8 family members for $5389 after being repeatedly told, "do it for your kids". They told my parents that the Better Business Bureau gives them excellent ratings. I later found out that the BBB gives them a grade of C- due to the high number of complaints against them and that they actually are not accredited with the BBB. This membership was not sold to my parents with their best interests in mind. My parents, as well as many other elderly people, are not familiar with all the travel discounts to be found online. Their claim that they will match anyone else's price--how is that saving anyone money if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere? My dad called @3pm on the 3rd business day after signing the contract to verify the procedure for cancelling and left a message since noone answered the phone (they close mid-afternoon). They returned the call the next day and told my dad that they can not make exceptions and refused to cancel the membership. After my sister called and spoke with owner Thom Wood, he agreed to give a partial refund of $2000 with the stipulation that all family members agreed and would take no further action. We think that his offer is admission of unfair and unethical business practices and we are sending him a letter requesting a full refund with medical documentation of my parents illnesses. It makes me angry to hear how others are taken advantage of for a scam of a business. We will take further action if there is no cooperation from Thom Wood.
Comments United States Vacation Clubs
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Jul, 2010 by   branson for a ride 0 Votes
We also went to the presentation in Branson. I have been in the travel industry for almost 20 years so I felt familiar with some of the companies they spoke of.
The presentation was pretty good and they were up front that the cost was 10, 384.00. This did not include the $149.00 yearly fee. Some of the vacation deals were great. We listened through the whole presentation, had sat through one interview prior, and then had two more sales people make their pitch. The rate started at 9999.00 plus paperwork fee that pushed the total to 10, 384.00. We told the 3rd guy it was out of our budget and wrong time of life. He immediatley asked if we golfed/no then asked if we owned RV/no. He deducted $4000.00 from the package, now we are down to 6384.00. Still not feasible. On comes the next sales lady, she was doing our exit interview. Of course, more questions. Through these questions, knocking off 6 weeks of prereseve weeks at the condos they represent, this left us with 4 weeks a year. Also, it only allowed us to add 8 family members but she told us to we could change family members anytime we wanted. Now the price was down to 1500.00 for the membership. We still said NO! Makes you wonder who really gets the money. In less than an hour the price went from over 10, 000 to 1500.00
 12th of Aug, 2010 by   who goes on line to write positive thing 0 Votes
By taken the travel out of the package is how it got lowered,
4 weeks in timeshare would cost you thousands ...why judge something you haven't even used ...and do it for your kids give me a break if they have alz why are they on a sales presentation?
 25th of Aug, 2011 by   A Chicago Cop 0 Votes
Thank God for the Internet!. My girl friend and me were in Branson for a vacation. Its a wonderful place lots to do and great people but VSA is a blemish for sure. We took the discounted tickets and agreed to the presentation. It starts off with some interesting information on how timeshares make money and I found that educational. The offers on the wall they showed of discounted trips looked good as well. They spoke of how they do all this at cost and cut out the middle man for you. Sounding great. Then comes the 10 grand price... that was enough to have me run out the door but they keep talking. After the first sales person leaves your table, a person who you thought was just another "sucker" comes over and sits down saying they just want to visit with you. They keep you from talking among yourselves till the next sales person comes over. That person offers you a better price at 5500... then if that does not work they give you the "bottom line" price of 4400. We still said no. The last person was the "manager" he listed to us and then said that he could offer us the employee price of 1995.00 That seemed reasonable based on all the savings we could get if we traveled just once a year. I decided to say yes. Looked over all the paper work and was a little apprehensive but thought I would give it a try. They did say the membership could not be used for 7 days and they did say the cancel period was three days. I signed the documents put the charge on visa and we left. After getting back to my condo I thought I should check it out. I found complaints all over the net from the BBB postings to this board to other boards. I said NO this is not for us. We wrote up the cancel letter and took it to the office the next morning.
The folks who were all so nice and smiling were now in a new mode. I was introduced to a man named TJ Nobles who demanded to know why I was canceling. My letter stated that I did not need or would offer any reason. He asked me four times why I wanted to cancel. I kept saying I did not want to say. He called me rude. He called me a "smart guy.” I kept smiling. He wanted all the contracts that I had been given copies of. Now anybody knows that you can keep a copy of anything you signed but this jerk demanded my copies or he said he would not give me my money back. Since I had already photocopied the critical documents I gave them to him. He refused to give me a document saying that they agreed to cancel. What he did do was write on my cancel letter than they agreed to refund money in seven to ten days, but to show how uneducated these con people are, he spelled “received” as “RESIVED" He tried to bait me into a argument and I admit I almost took the bait and told him that this was going to get nasty and I might have to whip his hillbilly butt. Well he got red but me being 310 pounds probably kept him from doing something stupid. I left with my letter and called my credit card company. They assured me they would follow thru and make sure the charge was not processed and asked that I give them a copy of the cancel letter. Had it not been for research I too would have been taken. These folks are a mess. Smiles and promises but its all a fraud. As many people reported the deals they speak of are not there but you cant know that till after the three day period..
 9th of Nov, 2011 by   Myrrie1 0 Votes
The sales presentation all sounds really good, the 90 min. required turns into 'no way can you leave until you say yes, and sign papers! (Kids were waiting to go to Silver Dollar City and it turned into a 2.5 hr. entrapment.) I should have recognized the red flags, but I guess I got caught up in wanting it to be true. Of course being able to save enough to actually be able to go on some nice vacations was tempting. So, I didnt' have the money to pay but a $400 deposit, with the understanding that I could pay the balance after we got home from the trip. After we got home, I checked the reviews before I called to pay the balance. Of course seeing the multiple pages of "Stay away" "SCAM" "Fraud". I didn't send the remainder. I called, but was told that I needed to talk to a supervisor, that was conveniently 'Out' I left the message that I would not be completing the transaction. I wanted the membership canceled. (I would have liked the $400 returned, but it was pretty apparent that not being there to be a thorn in their side--that wasn't going to happen--so it was an expensive lesson, but could have been much worse.) I did also send a letter, because you should do these things in writing!
It has been over a year ago that we were in Branson, today I receive a letter stating that our membership is 'seriously delinquent' This company certainly has gull. They should just be happy that we didn't get a class action law suit together, that is what my husband is now wanting to do!
 4th of Jun, 2012 by   George Judd 0 Votes
Is there any way to get out of a contract after the 3 day time limit. The charge is still on my
credit card and has not been paid by me yet. What are my options. I would like to hear some
suggestions.
 22nd of Aug, 2012 by   The x factor 0 Votes
I was recently and employee of vsa sister company I.T.S. and wow that was an experience i will never forget. My first comment is a company is only has strong as it's leaders, and the person that put the GM Dwayne Smalls in charge does not know anything about running a successful business. He lacks the education, knowledge of running the company. He uses profanity and treats too be-little the staff. He shows favoritism and abuses hes power by having what i have witnessed has unethical sexual relationship with staff. I witnessed before i quit him hire a girl with no knowledge 3 days later he is taking her too lunch and bringing her home and the next week she been promoted to his PERSONAL (ass-sistant). The company will never go any where when your employees are constantly threatened and demoralised. MS
 4th of Apr, 2013 by   Nell Scott 0 Votes
My husband & I were in Branson last November. Thinking we were fairly intelligent people, we attended the sales pitch for discount tickets to Silver Dollar City. Our 30 minute sales talk turned into at least 3 hours. The guy doing the presentation was very good at his job. We are 72 years old, and do not have the money to spend on something like this. They made us feel like we could go some places we had only dreamed about for a fraction of the cost. I think they must have put a spell on us, because our brains just kind of quit working. We were thinking "wow, we would finally be able to do some of the things on our bucket list", forgetting the fact that we had to pay back over $4000, plus the annual fees!!! We are so stupid. We have kicked ourselves a thousand times since then, and would love to know if there is anything we can do. If anyone does file a class action suit, count us in.

Fight Back Against Identity Theft