logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Badoo
Using my information without permission
2. (53 mins ago)
Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
3. (1 hr 34 mins ago)
investorsavingbank.net
not paid
4. (1 hr 40 mins ago)
Beyond The Rack
SCAM- no customer service, never refunded
5. (1 hr 49 mins ago)
icreditscore.co.uk
They took money without my notice

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Urban Development Solutions

Posted:    Ms. McG

scam

Urban Development Solutions
Urban Development Solutions sponsors young black people to go door to door to sell magazines in predominantly white middle class neighborhoods in order to "help inner city kids". They misrepresent themselves as a "leg up" sort of organization, and sell magazines for "Midwest Clearing INC" at inflated rates. (See Midwest Clearing INC complaint). I confronted the woman who came to my door yesterday who scammed me, and she swore that she "didn't realize that this was a scam". I showed her the back of the receipt and told her that this organization does not help "inner city kids" or any other charitable cause. She insisted that she was recruited with other young black men and women to sell Magazines, and that they were told it was to help inner city kids and themselves. I told her that I would give the benefit of the doubt, but that now that she knows it is a scam, that if she continues to sell these magazines under this pretense, that she may not be prostituting herself, but is prostituting her soul for the sake of money. She seemed disturbed, and I hope that she was.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Mar, 2011 by   dmcclain83 0 Votes
Hello, I would like to comment on a couple things you have said along with minor mistakes you have made.
1. Urban Development Solutions (UDS) is not biased and is a welcoming business to all races and cultures - not just African Americans.
2. UDS is not misrepresenting themselves as anything. They are very clear on what they are and aren't hiding anything. Now, if that lady told you otherwise, that was of her own doing and UDS had no influence on that decision of hers. But this business is honest about their work and if you'd like to clear some things up for yourself, you can even contact them and a representitive will speak with you to get this situation cleared up if it happens again.
Sidenote - Although this organization doesn't help "inner city kids" (whatever that means), it does provide a second or third chance for those, anywhere over 18, that have no place to turn or just need to get away and explore. This business tries to help out in that aspect and they do a very good job in doing so and reaching out to the future employees.
 6th of Apr, 2011 by   jachibale 0 Votes
I have some serious reservations about the company that seems to have integrated charity and what amounts to indentured servitude into its for-profit business model, but I have zero complaints about the interaction I had with a UDS sales rep three evenings ago. He was a young, black guy with a sincere attitude although pretty nervous and not very well spoken. He did manage to get his point across that he was looking to improve his place in life and needed some help getting there. I was reluctant to subscribe and thought the prices were outrageous, but he helped me find an appropriate magazine and put a little of his own money on top of my own contribution to offset the absurd processing fees. I thought that was a straight up move. He was clear about where I could go online to check out the company and the status of my order. I just checked, and everything went through yesterday, and the order is in place. We'll see if the magazines appear in our mail, but I have a feeling they will. He mentioned that he'd been mistreated throughout our neighborhood with folks yelling at him and even throwing things as they told him to leave their property. The least we can do is respect the folks who are kind and courteous to us, right? I'll reserve judgment until the paper hits my mailbox, but I'm optimistic about things mostly because of Brian's sincerity and courtesy.
 27th of Jun, 2011 by   Lisa C Murphy 0 Votes
I agree with this and all the complaints I have read. I too live in a middle class neighborhood and was approached at my home by an African-American gentleman. He seemed so positive and just in need of a chance. I purchased $261 worth of magazines, two of which were for my children and this was over 12 weeks ago and they have never arrived. I am frustrated 1) this was a lot of money to lose and 2) I have a kind heart and I feel taken advantage of in the name of my children in my home. Please do not support Urban 1, Inc. It is a scam and now I will not purchase one item door to door ever again as this is the first and last time I will have my generosity taken advantage of.
 13th of Sep, 2011 by   jewel Perry 0 Votes
I purchased magazines in march of 2011. I was reluctant, it was overpriced but the gentleman assured me I was helping people like him start over at 47. Promised the magazine would show up. I has not and it has been 6 months now. I got someone on the phone (miracle) after 4 months and they refused to give me a refund and said there was a glitch with the distributer of Rachelle Rays cooking magazine but it was being maile within a couple of days. Now I have emailed, left several voice mails, and emailed again requesting a email and then threatening. I can't even get a response. Don't waste your money. This company is a ripoff.
 18th of Mar, 2013 by   C Harmon 0 Votes
They have come to my home for the last 3 years. Different sales reps each time but same process. I recently placed the order and cancelled the same day and put a stop payment on my check after I have researched the company through the BBB. So no money lost this time around, but I have been taken advantage of in the past. The first time by two females and never receiving the magazines. Another one a male, which the magazines were supposedly donated to the Boys and Girls club and this time by a male who has a 3 year old son. All of the African American. This is a scam. The prices are outrageous and inflated. They don't show the pricing either. They only ask you pick out three magazines.
 18th of Apr, 2013 by   Ethical Three 0 Votes
I am well aware of the situation with these door to door magazine sales people, but I am always so impressed with their desire to succeed that I usually always purchase something. Today a very nice young lady and young man came to my door and I agreed to purchase a few magazines, but when I started to make out the check they asked me to make it to Cash. I was immediately concerned and asked to speak to someone of authority. They gave me a number, but it was a voicemail. I proceeded to tell them that this was not a good business practice and that the company was being unethical asking them to require customers to make the checks to cash. I know that these kids are pressured to produce and I really felt bad for them. I am reporting this incident to the BBB and still trying to reach someone at Urban Development Solutions for some answers.

Tips to Save as You Shop Online