logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Texas Road House
Horrible service/ poop fly in my food
2. (4 mins ago)
White Label Dating
Fake account
3. (43 mins ago)
Match.com
Unauthorized charge and debit from my credit card
4. (45 mins ago)
BMW Automobile Company UK
Fake lottery winning ...
5. (49 mins ago)
Australian Wine Index
boiler room wine investment scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Universal Accounting, Modesto, California Complaints & Reviews - Forcible selling

Universal Accounting Contacts & Informations

Universal Accounting

Posted:    Cherrie

Forcible selling

Universal Accounting
Modesto, California
www.universalaccounting.com
This company sells a bookkeeping program and claims to have an ironclad guarantee return policy. When I tried to return the program to them they threatened to return it back to me and charge me for the shipping. I am trying to return the books unopened and sealed. They are telling me that I have to complete the course and then return it and they will look over the material that I have completed and then decide if I can return it. I told them I no longer have a job and I cannot pay for this program. I looked over the materials and I am not happy with the product. They basically told me that I had to continue to pay them and I have to purchase their product no matter what. I think anyone thinking of doing business with them should think twice about it. I feel their company is running a scam to sell you books and DVD's of very poor quality for a ridiculous amount of money. They tell you that if you are unhappy for any reason just send back the materials for a full refund. This is a lie!

Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Jan, 2009 by   KatieL 0 Votes
Universal Accounting's iron-clad guarantee states "If, after completing the course, you feel the course didn't live up to your expectation, simply return the materials to Universal, for a 100% refund of any monies paid." In your complaint, you state, "I am trying to return the books unopened and sealed." Their guarantee is all over their website and on any contracts you sign with them, and they send you a laminated copy with anything your purchase from them. If you just complete the course, they'll refund your money, no problem.
They've been around for 30 years, so they're not a fly-by-night company. They live up to their word, and their people are sincere.
Also, they're based out of Salt Lake City, UT, not Modesto, CA.
 18th of Mar, 2009 by   Connie 0 Votes
As I have read this complaint it amazes me that you say "I feel their company is running a scam to sell you books and DVD's of very poor quality for a ridiculous amount of money. " Yet just before that you admit you "I am trying to return the books unopened and sealed." I have too then wonder, just how you know it is of poor quality.

You also say "I looked over the materials and I am not happy with the product." Just how did you look over the materials if you never opened the course?
I have personally done this course and feel that it was terrific and those at UAC were very helpful. I have personally gained clients and am successful, by just listening to them and there marketing techniques.
If you are having financial difficulties I would suggest you figure out what you want in life, do the course you commited to do, and go gain clients to get out of your financial hard times. If you try and work with them you will find just how helpful they truly are with there students.
 19th of Mar, 2009 by   Jeanette +1 Votes
It's interesting that people read, hear and see the Universal guarantee in writing and in person in some cases, and still fail to grasp it. If someone completes the training, and does not find the material suitable for them, Unversal gives them back all of their money, even though the student has gained all of the knowledge. How much more generous do they need to be???

The title "Forcible Selling" is entirely misleading and inflamatory. Did someone tie you down and hold a gun to your head, FORCING YOU to order the materials or fill out the paperwork to buy it??? This would constitute "forcible". It sounds like the complainant simply does not want to work at learning. Their right to laziness is being defended to the nth degree, while hard work is what really pays off!!
 5th of May, 2009 by   wonkaman2002 0 Votes
Wow look at Universal Accounting having people write on their behalf as "successful" customers. Even though I have NOT yet purchased their kits and was researching the company's reputation, now I feel that it is a scam and that its probably a bad decision to purchase their materials because of the sketchy return policies that many of their customers feel and went through. Also because the company had to get people to pretend they are "successful" customers without even mentioning where their "practices" are to see it for ourselves.

BUNCH OF MORONS.
 12th of May, 2009 by   On2sumthng 0 Votes
You are so right wonkwoman 2002. You gotta wonder about anonymous "satisfied customers". Universal accounting also provides webiste service, I have yet to come across any of their so called "successful graduates" during my research into their business.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   JudyJos -1 Votes
Universal Accounting return policy depends on you complying with their system and continuing to pay the $161.00 monthly. If you fail to pay the monthly payment then you forfeit the return policy. My issue is that we who order this program have an issue with marketing so there is only few of us who will maintain this agreement. When you call an asked for help they just guide you do as the program say. I'm still gonna try the program but I have to get over the butterfly in my stomach. I still wish I hadn't purchase this program because I knew I was unemployed and getting little work from the two clients I had. Maybe next year I'll start repaying for the program but until then the collection agency will keep calling and I will keep not answering my phone. Sorry!
 23rd of Jan, 2010 by   Joaquim -1 Votes
Yes - I totally agree with some of the comments above. I have been to one of their workshops and few people from the audience were asking questions such as list of students who have established accounting practice and they still are in practice... the speaker hosting the workshop pretty much shut them down after the repeated the same question. Well - my point is if they have been in business for so many years... and have helped thousands of people to establish their successful businesses... I would imagine that they would have a book on their students "Throughout the Country" who run successful businesses. I would expect them to include this SAMPLE listing in their avertisement. If I had a successful practice with the help of Universal Accounting, I would be thrilled to have them do FREE ADVERTISMENT for me by including my company name in their brochures and marketing material.

The truth is, their may be few people who gained success after a long struggle. Perhaps they don't want to comment on their tough experience.

The program is OVER PRICED. Whether we (the students) find success and MAKE MONEY or NOT.. They are making money FOR SURE. It is really incredible how some of these companies can get away with murder in this country. No wonder our country is upside down today.

Watch out everyone - Think very hard on this BEFORE you sign their agreement and GET HOOKED.
Joaquim
Hialeah, Florida
 21st of Mar, 2010 by   ebookauthor +1 Votes
I am a UAC graduate from 1992. In order to qualify for the guarantee, you must complete the course. UAC is NOT a scam, but it's important that you understand the guarantee. Without fulfilling your part of the guarantee, it's not fair to expect UAC to fulfill theirs.

As far as a list of graduates who operate successful practices over a long period of time... I do not know HOW UAC would even be aware of this information. It would probably be a good idea for UAC to compile such a list, but remember that graduates are independent business owners. There is no requirement for graduates to stay in touch with UAC, nor does UAC stay in touch with graduates.

UAC trains you how to START A BUSINESS. Starting and running a business is far different from being an employee, punching a clock every day, and picking up a paycheck every Friday. FAR FAR different! It's hard work, much harder than being an employee. Do not buy the UAC program expecting a get-rich-quick plan. Starting and operating a successful business (even a solo bookkeeping practice which certainly has to be the easiest type of business to start), takes time and energy. It will not take off immediately, it just won't. It's like any other business.

Anybody considering the UAC course must first be 100% certain that they want to START A BUSINESS. If they are unsure or don't know what it takes, they must find out before getting the course.

Visit my website and you can see what I have done with the UAC knowledge I acquired:

4th of Jul, 2010 by   Business Person 0 Votes
After doing research on this company, first with BBB. The company has an A rating. A good thing. Checked out the website and lots of information about the materials and cost. I do not believe they are a scam. I do believe if you make the investment into this program, you must make a committment to study and learn from the materials presented. The internet costs are appears reasonable considering the information that you are getting. Not sure if these same prices are offered at the seminars. It would be a program that you should carefully consider because of the monies being spent as well as the committment to complete. If unsure contact them ask questions until you get the answers you need. And I personally, would not make a spur of the moment purchase without thinking about and asking for references. Based on my limited research, I would move forward and ask for a list of past students to contact. Any reputable business that is sell products will have and give that information.
 27th of Jul, 2010 by   ASH Acctounting +1 Votes
I have taken MANY courses thru UAC. If you devote yourself to studying and completing the coursework, it WILL transform your life. It definitely did mine. I now own ASH Accounting Services here in western NC and its growing. I would pay TWICE what they charged knowing how it would change my career...Im thrilled!!!
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   marisqa1 0 Votes
Why is it so difficult for UAC to keep in contact with their customers? You don't need a contract or anything. You just have to send out correspodnance asking for a website link and some information about the success of their businesses. Anyone who is happy with their success and the program, such as the very happy people on this thread, would be happy to reply.
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   marisqa1 +1 Votes
correction: correspondance
 20th of Nov, 2010 by   Jim in Hayward +1 Votes
I just returned from a seminar on the Universal Accounting products. While I wouldn't call it 'forceable' sell it certainly ended up as a 'hard' sell. I actually enjoyed the presentation for the most part. I did feel there was alot of information missing. The part I most disliked was the hard-sell at the end.

The speaker stated 'You MUST purchase these products today before you leave or you will not get any kind of discount. You will pay the full price'. Boy, am I glad I walked out! Turns out I can actually get the product for $30.00 cheaper from the web site that from the seminar. I like to check out companies first before purchasing their products. Waiting allows me to do this.

In the end, I may still purchase the course (without the QuickBooks part since I already know accounting and ERP software systems and can self train or get the course directly from Intuit cheaper) but at least I will have breathing room to make the decision I want instead of being intimidated into the purchase for fear of having to pay substantially more.
 4th of Mar, 2011 by   northwest learner 0 Votes
Read the return policy carefully before buying any product. This goes for any company, any product. Always understand what you are buying. Apparently many people do not read every word of the return policy, or do not read it at all. The return policy clearly states that you must complete the course before seeking a full refund. I

If you are going to run a bookkeeping business, first you must be able and willing to CAREFULLY READ and make sure you understand everything you read. This is crucial to the success of any business.

I also notice that many of the comments above contain misspellings and really poor grammar. (Have you totally forgotten what you learned in grade school, folks?) This will not help you to be a success business person. It does take hard work to start and maintain an independent business. You cannot expect the course to do this for you, while you sit and do nothing.

I agree that, while the sales people may try very hard to sell the product, no one "forces" you to do so. You always have a choice. (Example: I simply went on the University of Phoenix website to see what they had to offer. Their accounting program is $30, 000. WAY beyond my budget. However, in order to get this information, I had to enter my name and phone number. I immediately began receiving phone calls from them. Hard selling. I finally had to tell them to take me off of their calling list and not call again. Another example: I went on a discount retail furniture website just to see what it was about. Again in order to receive any info, I had to "register". As a result, they immediately began calling, persistently. I finally had to tell them to take me off their calling list.)

"Hard sell" does not mean "forcible". You always have a choice.

I also checked out my local community college to examine pricing for their accounting course. They were much more expensive than UA. And I would still have had to learn QB separately.

Always check the company out carefully. Thru BBB, ask the sales person about their accreditation, check that out. There are ways to check the company out to see if they are legit.
 7th of Jan, 2013 by   Merrlyn 0 Votes
No one mentioned the fact that Cherrie has NO JOB and CANNOT PAY. That statement speaks for itself, yes?
 30th of Jul, 2013 by   Epifania1 0 Votes
Hi,

I'm glad to see different comments here about Universal Accounting. I discovered their information today in the morning and I was absolutely in shock with the videos because I felt the owner of the school said what is really happening in the accounting world but NO ONE say it: people like me, that have a Bachelor's degree in accounting, (working towards the CPA now), have been prepared to the big corporations. That is the reality. I had an "aha' moment when I listened to this man, because I felt always in that way but I thought I should have know how to deal with accounting just to have a Bachelor's degree and this is not true.

I have been financial auditor all my life and I have no idea how payroll is recorded, how QB works, or how to deal with a gas station accounting or any small business. Don't even ask me about taxes filing. I can tell you where the business is doing well, and I can propose improvements BUT I need the other side in order to make stronger my professional career.
The thing is I have very huge skills in accounting field but in order to stop looking for a job where all people is looking for (big corporations), is a fact that having my own business would be a great idea.

I really feel attracted to Universal, I will put it in my budget because I want to open my biz in the next year.

Many people complain about they being "forced" to buy the program, that is really stupid. If you give your credit card information and say yes, then hold in your word and face your decisions. I'm not part of Universal people (just to clarify, because people could say I'm part of this organization) and just by common sense, I see people just change mind and complain a lot.

Thanks
 19th of Aug, 2013 by   ACastaneda 0 Votes
I have been over looking the UA website all weekend. I am very interested in opening up my own business in the bookkeeping/accounting field. I have been in the accounting and finance field for 16 years. Big corporations are no longer in my future. I am not happy with office politics, nor the long hours I have to put in and all the family time I miss. I am really looking into this very hard and trying to make the right decisions. I have a very diverse background and worked for several companies. So it doesn't scare me to do this; as this is something I want to do. I am tired of punching the clock for someone else or living up to someone's expectations of what they want from me. I know that I am good at what I do. I don't need to devote my whole entire existance to a corporation who just gives me a plaque and tells me thanks for the blank number of years of sevice. No thank you for all the time you missed raising your kids seems to come from them either. Just the complaints of how you need to decide if your career is what you want or your family. Not saying all corporations are like that, but I have been involved with two. All the things that happened at the corporations made me realize that life is too short to punch a clock, live my someone else's rules and hours, and giving up my life was not cool anymore. I want something that is mine and the policy and procedures I instill in my company will still be ethical and the work will still be given to my customers at 150%. Thanks for all the good postings. All of you have helped me make a decision to proceed forward.

Nigerian Students, Scammers Nabbed in Malaysia