logo

Hammonds Furniture Ltd
Awful company
4. (14 mins ago)
The Bottled Wealth Holdings
Boiler room wine investment scam (Con't)
5. (21 mins ago)
Nannies Dubai
Unprofessional

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

United Steel Building, Fort Lauderdale, Florida Complaints & Reviews - United Steel Building Scam United Steel Bad Business Practices - Charge You a LOT MORE than initial 'Quote' or YOU LOSE ALL!!!

United Steel Building Contacts & Informations

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Phone: 888-448-6963
unitedsteelbuilding.com
I PAID IN FULL!

After I Paid in Full and Was Waiting for Delivery of My Building I Received a BILL For a %35 Percent Increase!!! THEY EVEN CHARGED ME FOR THEIR MISTAKE ON THE INITIAL DRAWINGS!!!
When I Spoke With Them about my new bill
(Seeing My Salesperson BOB Was No Where to EVER BE FOUND) I Was Told That
EVERY TIME STEEL RISES IN PRICE I WOULD BE CHARGED!!! Even if it was on a truck in route to me and steel went up they would charge me until I signed for the delivery!!!

My PROMISED DELIVERY DATE was pushed up every time I tried to contact them!!!

Half the time the customer service 1 800 number they advertise DOES NOT WORK!!!

I Simply did not have the money to keep giving them... at this rate my small 24x25 foot building would have cost 15-16 Thousand Dollars by the time of delivery. My First Quote Was Under FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! I offered to let them keep the several THOUSAND DOLLARS they charged me for the drawings of the building and I would receive the remainder monies I paid in refund. Even though my building hadn't even started production, THEY SAID NO!!! TO READ THE FINE PRINT!!!

SO BASICALLY THEY RIP YOU OFF IF YOU DON'T HAVE MORE MONEY LATER... INITIAL QUOTE FROM SALES PERSON MEANS NOTHING!

If you are planning on buying a building from these guys expect to have MUCH MORE MONEY before you can ever actually get it!
Run From this 'Steel Company!!!'

NOW THEY SAY THAT EVERY TIME STEEL RISES I GET CHARGED UNTIL IT IS SIGNED AND DELIVERED...

FUNNY THE UP-CHARGE ON THE STEEL IS 35% the SAME AS THE SALE THEY GAVE ME(35% Off)

THEY ARE CONNIVING LIARS

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR CRAP!

IF YOU FEEL YOU TOO HAVE BEEN VICTIMIZED BY UNITED STEEL BUILDING AND WANT TO SUE OR SPEAK AGAINST THEM PLEASE VISIT :

http://www.unitedsteelbuildings.org for Legal Action Against United Steel Building, Florida USA

Ricky g
Harkers Island, North Carolina
U.S.A.
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Aug, 2008 by   Michael Tomlinson 0 Votes
I ordered a building in March from United Steel Building. The increase on my building was 20%; after some negoation with a rep. from the company named Jack. I called a few other steel companies as I was pretty upset with the change in price. I was told this is common industry practice, one rep. from Olympia named Mark, said you need to have production started immediately to avoid increases, they can't controll the price of steel. I'm a little bitter, what can you do, the building is nice.

Mike, Jupiter Fl
 3rd of Sep, 2008 by   Billie M 0 Votes
United Steel Building has done the same illegal transaction with me. I purchased a building 4-1-08. They kept sending me new revision sheets with charges of $250 each time; even when it had been their mistake. I mailed them my contract and building permit 5-07-08. I thought my building would be coming 6-8 weeks later as they had promised me. On 7-14-08 I contacted them to ask if they knew when my building would be completed. Imagine my shock when they informed me that my building had not even begun to be fabricated. They informed me they hadn't received my building permit. When I mentioned I had sent it, they told me to fax them a new one. I asked why no one had called me; they responded that it was my responsibilty not theirs' to get my permit to them. A few days later they accidentally sent me a standard form they had called " Release of liability to fabricate without permit." Why couldn't they have sent me that form then and fabricated my building. On 7-25-08 I am informed I owe more money for a fabrication fee. I paid this hoping to end my nightmare, but no, on 8-15-08 I was informed that according to Section 18 of their contract they can increase my price and did by 35%. If they had completed my building in a timely manner, perhaps their steel prices wouldn't have increased. By the way the letter said prices had increased 60%, it was really about 18%, at that time. Do not let these people have any of your money or you will be sorry. The Broward Consumer Protection Agency has sent them a letter telling them to stop this illegal buisness activity. Their representative informed me they had never received this letter. Sorry, but I have a copy, try again.
 10th of Sep, 2008 by   rmcspadden 0 Votes
The same thing happened to us. Sent their deposit in "right then" to get discount of 35% off original price, got drawings, told them to send the building intact, not expensive doors or trim, according to their paperwork our building was supposed to be in fabrication, waited for contact that building was ready, got 35% increase price. Was told only locked in discount, not price. Their 35% increase was figured on original price, not our discount. Typical bait and switch. They have us because we have already sent them 2 deposits in excess of $7, 000.00. I am contacting everybody, including the Broward Consumer Protection Agency and am sending copies of all our paperwork to the Florida Attorney Generals Office. Somebody has got to do something about these illegal practices.
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Logan Ward 0 Votes
Wow i really can't believe they are trying to screw this many people. I made my first deposit 1-4-08 with the o7' discount locked in. I made two more deposits and with all three they totaled 10, 800. My last deposit was made the first of may and was not contacted until the second or third week of june about the "price increase" which gave them around six weeks to buy the materials. They told me no materials would be bought until building was ready to be fabricated. This is wierd because in their response from the BBB complaint I filed, they stated that my money could not be refunded because the materials were already bought. As of right now i just want my money back and be done with this. I have filed with the BBB and Divison of consumer services in Florida and i encourage anybody who hasn't to do so. I'm only 21 and the money that has went towards this is from my savings and i am very very angry. Never in my life i thought i would be taken like this. I'm in the process of contacting an attorney and see what i can get with that.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   Ricky Guthrie 0 Votes
United Steel Buidling is making an effort to correct the issues I stated in my intial report on this site.  I withdrawl all of my previous comments on United Steel Building.Thank You, Ricky Guthrie, JrHarkers Island, NC  28531
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   Billy B 0 Votes
I'm also a USB customer and have no complaints. I ordered from them in 2005 and got a nicer building than all my neighbors. Then I ordered in late 2007 and could not take delivery until May 2008. I also got a 35% increase but noticed that their May 2008 pricing was still higher than my new price. They must be doing this because they have to, not because it's something they do to rip people off. It's not like they're General Steel, who lost a $4.2M lawsuit. And they're not taking deposits and shutting down either, like so many fly-by-night outfits.

Also, to Mr. Chad, I think you're thinking of US Metal Buildings out of Deerfield Beach, Fl. Gary Rack is their company officer and is not affiliated with United Steel Building. US Metal Buildings actually named themselves after United, to take advantage of USB's positive reputation. I bet after reading this page that is hard to believe! But it's true. Check the BBB.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   chad 0 Votes
If I posted about the wrong company then I apologize. Evidentally, this company is taking advantage of your good name while screwing around their own customers.
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by   Chuck 0 Votes
I've called around to many steel companies and see the same thing. However, General Steel offers a 6 MONTH price guarantee...all you have to do is take delivery within 6 months and you will not be charged any steel price increases. Also, price increases should not occur once the building is being fabricated as the company/broker should have already paid the fabricator. The reason you're getting upcharged between fabrication and delivery is probably because the supplier you ordered through (ie United, Olympia, Freedom, Premier) probably hasn't even paid for the building yet! General Steel had a court case...but not over this stuff. Their case was about sales people claiming that buildings were sitting on a truck ready for delivery. However, that was 6 years ago and now they seem pretty clean. They've never been involved with this scam in taking people's deposits then upcharging them at delivery. well...they give you 6 months before the possibility of any upcharges. A lot of people complain that General Steel is expensive...maybe it's just that they're right the first time and everyone else is trying to undersell them unethically.
 24th of Oct, 2008 by   Bob 0 Votes
I checked out united steel building and it seems this customer has been fully satisfied. The only companies I wouldn't trust in the steel industry are the ones that have nothing good to say about their competitors. United Steel Building seems to be the only company I've called that doesn't make sale by bashing other companies. Those are the guys you really have to watch out for because they are probably hiding something themselves. I saw a response about buying from General Steel, well make sure to do your homework before doing business with them because the facts are as follows - http://www.ago.state.co.us/press_detail.cfmpressID=127.html. I'm a business man and sometimes customers will complain but to let it go as far as a lawsuit is bad news. Furthermore not that I'm a Dan Marino fan, but I'm sure if he put his name on a product his people did their homework checking them out.
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   Dave Colston 0 Votes
These people are scammers who play enormous games of deception other than just operating as an honest business. I ordered a steel building in late April and gave United a $6800 deposit. Slick sales people. A few days later, called to speak with the sales person, Mike, about a raise in height on the building. Denna from customer service refused to let me talk with him and was very rude. This is how things started out. I later visited the office on Cyprus. No sign. They buzz you in to this little lobby like their in a witness protection program -- for obvious reasons once you learn more about them. Jack Rachlin became my contact. Jack is also a liar and will make you believe they are reputable if you listen to his b.s. He almost had me fooled. I delayed the building myself for several weeks while attending to my father who died this year. Two months ago, once again picked up the project and have been attempting to have United be reasonable about dates and to give me a final price quote. So far they've delivered nothing except prints to be marked up. Thank God I never signed the Terms and Conditions which are totally obsurd and leave you with no rights as a consumer. After getting my attorney involved because of their lack of responsiveness, promises not kept, and generl pain in the ass to deal with, as of yesterday, we gave them notice that we are cancelling the order and demanding a refund. Thanks to others, I also called Kathy Livingston at Broward Consumer Protection. United has over 20 complaints against them from all over the US, and I'm told at least a couple of law suits here in FLL. They've had to make concessions with some of the people thanks to Broward County getting involved. Why the State Attorney General for Florida has not acted, I'm not sure. Maybe with enough of us from Florida complaining and Broward County's help, the AG's office will help shut these guys down. And btw, Dan Marino's agent is now asking about the situation, so maybe Dan will get his mug off their web site. I'd really like to see that web site shut down.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by   david e. gentry 0 Votes
Go to my web site www.unitedsteelbuildingfl.com or unitedsteelbing.org you will find information on this company and many questions will be answered if you think things are going wrong. They take you money and will not stand by the contract which has been proven to be worthless get a look at their lawyer and remember even O.J. had a lawyer that is the answer the Florida Bar will tell you. This is one of the reasons the economy is going to hell. do not lay down the information is out there fight back David E. Gentry
 25th of Nov, 2008 by   david e. gentry 0 Votes
Billy B are you kin to these rip off artist or what? You can be assured I have been contacted by people from Cal. to South Carolina and even YES even a Church In Florida that was Taken in by Jack Rachlin Sue Alder and the rest of this gang. I hope you got paid for you Blog and besides this is a complaint
Board!!!
 24th of Dec, 2008 by   Burned in SC 0 Votes
Click red 'Review all United Steel Building complaints 'at top of column to read my complaint of fraud perpetrated by the thieves at United Steel Building. Same as the rest...more or less. Anyone have Ms. Livingston's e-mail address at Broward County? My phone calls to BC Consumer Affairs have gone unreturned. The new website is nice Mr. Gentry...stay on it! Thx.
 6th of Jan, 2009 by   PJR 0 Votes
I will join the group with complaints against United Steel Building. The details are in my complaint but are similar to others complaints. I have been awaiting delivery since Sept. My most recent email has gone unanswered and calls/messages left are not returned. HAs anuone received any positive action from state or federal offices?
 30th of Jan, 2009 by   rydog 0 Votes
Chuck, I think you have been mis-informed. General Steel is the biggest scammer in the whole industry. They will snatch your deposit and find any way possible to not deliver your building. The only reason they say they will hold your price for 6 months is because they put a 100% markup on the price from the factories they buy from. So if steel goes up a point or 2, they don't care. I lost my deposit with them, $15, 000. I found out they don't even make buildings. They are a broker. They sold me a 50x100x14 for $52, 000. I put $15, 000 down. Then they wanted to charge me about $20, 000 more for openings, doors, insulation, gutters, downspouts. They even tried to charge for closures which were already included with the building. To make a long story short, I bought directly from Olympia's factory, a nicer building, same size for $29, 480. I lost $15, 000 to General STEAL but still came out ahead. I found out General was buying this from the Star factory for around $29, 000 and selling it to me for $52, 000. If steel goes up, it's from the mill/factory. On a 3% increase the factory price would be b$28, 870, so General STEAL is covered. That's why they will hold your price for 6 months, but they will never deliver the building anyway, so it will not matter. They make their money on deposits.
 13th of Feb, 2009 by   J.D. 0 Votes
I was too taken for a ride by this outfit . Yes United steel buildings Dan Marino's boys . I emailed for a qoute then the next day I recieved a call from salesman Billy who said they had a very special deal on a building that was perchused Circut City that they had backed out on . He also told me that it came with two door openings of my choice great . Well you need to send your deposite in won't last long . So i did they faxed me a deposite sheet and check sheet 1500.00 down 6000.00 remainder ok . Then two days later Deena calls me saying to my surprise that it is going to cost more for this openings I told her that Billy had told me no cost for this openings . So I told her I would think about it . So later I tried to call Billy she intercepted my call like a bad Marino pass said he was busy could she help me . I said that I have already taiked to her about this so she got her manager a women who I have forgotten her name she said I would have to pay for this so I told her I wanted my deposite back no was the answer . I asked how much then that I could not afford any increase . She said it would only be a couple of hundred dollars Deena would work out the price . Next day deena calls tells me she has emailed the cost 630.00 for the door 445.00 for the other opening .I emailed her back said I couldn't do it . I slept on it hatting to piss away my hard earned money I agreeded to pay this . Took my drawings downtown got approval to build feeling good I mailed them back three days later I recieve a call from Jack who said that it was going to cost me more for the opening . What was it going to cost he wouldn't say also buy the way I called your inspecter you will need a foundation drawing that will be 1750.00 . Wow ! I had talked to the inspecter we talked about the foundation had it covered I don't know what he told him . Come on a stanard drawing for a small buiding I am sure they have hundreds laying around there office . I talked to some builders who said it who be hard to find a engineer to sign off on there drawings being they didn't design it because of liability. So that the price had increased out my range I was forced to cancel my building thats 1800.00 dollars a months wages for me and my family. What what I have read this is comman practice for this company.
 17th of Mar, 2009 by   Burned in SC +1 Votes
J. D. - You're not the only one. Sorry to hear it.

Make sure and file a fraud complaint with the Florida State Attorney General. You can also file a complaint online with the FTC. The more complaints they receive, the sooner they will investigate. You might also try Ft. Lauderdale PD, Economic Crimes Division, for a criminal complaint...it is fraud.
 5th of Apr, 2009 by   rogermoor +1 Votes
I dealt with "Frank" and then his manager...

This was for a 60*25 building I was going to purchase from them..

This is a warning for anyone considering buying one of these prefabricated steel buildings from usbuildings...

They run commercials on tv some times...

On the surface these things seem like a good deal... You get a steel building for a cheap price... BUT...

What they don't tell you is they are selling you HALF of what you need to put the f*cking thing together..

Once you buy the initial steel building and put down a "non refundable deposit" they will wait for a week then call you back and tell you that you need to buy the "end walls"... for another 3 grand...

So you say ok.. f*ck I need end walls after all.. and buy it..

Then they wait another week and call you back and say well.. you need this steel channel to install the building or else it's going to be a major pain in the ass for you to erect it... and that's going to be another 3 grand...

I mean what the f*ck you know?

That's like selling someone a car and then saying oh by the way you'll need to buy these breaks to make it stop..

f*cking scum bags..

So I tell them to go f*ck themselves and refund my deposit and they refuse..

I've now charged it back with the credit card company..

I'm mainly posting this here so google will pick it up and people will be warned that usbuildings http://www.us-buildings-direct.com is a scam and a rip-off. Consider this an official complaint about their business practices.
 5th of Apr, 2009 by   rogermoor +1 Votes
I think it's important to note that this company has changed it's name several times...

What does THAT tell you?
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   Burned in SC +1 Votes
Sorry to here it.
Are you sure United Steel Building, Inc. and US Buildings are the same company?
Might be the same scam but another outfit. If it was United and you have been scammed join my group on this site "United Steel Building SCAM victims " for helpful info.

How to Save on Life Insurance