logo

Huff N Puff
Corporate Greed
3. (7 mins ago)
Active Advantage
Active advantage trial membership scam
4. (15 mins ago)
Wrinkles R Us Karen Wilson Eatonville Wa
Bad breeder **just changed her kennel name**
5. (27 mins ago)
Anil Saini
scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Thompson Cigars Complaints & Reviews - I will never be a customer of Thompson's again!

Thompson Cigars Contacts & Informations

Thompson Cigars

Posted:    Mark Boyd

I will never be a customer of Thompson's again!

Thompson Cigars
www.thompsoncigar.com
I tried to order two boxes of cigars today and when it came to check out, what a customer service nightmare. The CSR tried to sell me everything from the Cigar club to expedited shipping. I told her repeatedly that I just wanted my cigars. She then told me that she would be sending out a free $25.00 Visa card to me. Then, out of nowhere, she said that if I didn't want to join, I could cancel and I would not be charged the $1.95 per month. I asked her for what. She couldn't answer me. I asked her to transfer me to a supervisor.

When I spoke to the supervisor, she informed me that I had said "Yes" to the e-super saver club. I had no idea what she was talking about. She told me it was for the monthly savings club. I explained to her, I never said yes to anything and I just want to order cigars. She told me I would not be charged and they would get my cigars out.

I will never be a customer of Thompson's again. And all it cost them was $1.95.

Sincerely frustrated,
Mark Boyd
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Jun, 2007 by   James L Stover 0 Votes
I went threw the very same thing with them. That's why I quit ordering cigars from Thompson's. They just push, push, push that buyer's club and they still took it off my Charge card. I called them and said never again will I buy anything from you people you can't trust them. Beware when you order from them, Look at all the charges on your statement, I'll bet you see that $1.95 even thou you said you didn't want it. I will never be a customer of Thompson's again. They blew it.
 18th of Aug, 2007 by   marty 0 Votes
They have THE WORST excuse for customer service I have ever encountered. I don't know how they are still in business. I will never buy from them again. I buy from JR cigar.
 4th of Nov, 2007 by   Deborah Pataky 0 Votes
I agree there customer service is awful. You email, you phone, I even wrote 3 letters, that was two months ago and I have still not got a answer. They are the worst.
 9th of Nov, 2007 by   Frank Paxton 0 Votes
The customer service is absolutely inexcusable. I was a member of their cigar club. I called and had my selection changed, and 'low and behold' the old selection came on the next shipment. They made absolutely no effort... unless I returned them at MY expense, plus no allowance the shipping I paid for the wrong cigars.

Never, ever again. And that goes for my cigar smoking friends as well.
 23rd of Nov, 2007 by   Bob 0 Votes
I agree........I have ordered from Thompsons for a couple of years....I did not order from them for approx. 1 year and when I try to start ordering again I am refused the option of charging my cigars to my account as I have always done in the past. They claim that I did not pay a past bill of over $100... I have never not payed. There are way to many cigar stores both online and in the city to mess with Thompsons ever again.
 26th of Nov, 2007 by   Cliff 0 Votes
I am surprised to hear about the problems everyone is having. I have been a Club member since '79 and never had any problems. I've always got what I ordered and in all that time only got one box of stale cigars and they replaced it at no charge without question. When I visited them in Tampa, I found the same level of friendly cooperative service.
 26th of Nov, 2007 by   Dave Carrier 0 Votes
I sent my brother and sister in law to Your store by Tampa
Airport because the last time that I was there (which has to
be at least two years ago, I had a very nice experience.. not
knowing about cigars a friend and I from the airport were
looking for a gift for her father in law... the people there were
Very helpful to us.. we left happy) BUT today my brother and
sister in law.. who know nothing about cigars...wanted to buy a substantial gift box for a co worker... told the man behind
the counter this and he just pointed... never left the counter...
their was no one else in the place!... They wandered around
not knowing what they were looking at.. and finally left...
NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! We will never deal with Thompsons cigars again!!! That was embarrassing to me as
they drove from the other coast to visit that store!!!

David Carrier... and will tell others at TPA the same!
 26th of Nov, 2007 by   Bryan Carrier 0 Votes
I went to Thompsons today near Tampa airport to buy a Xmas gift for a co-worker. I know nothing about cigars but Thompson's was recommended to me by other people. After I explained what I wanted to the guy behind the counter all he did was point down an aisle. Never tried to help. He was useless. Its safe to say that I won't go back. I have other places to go to that have expert customer care right around my neighborhood. Even though I may not know anything about cigars I rely on the people in the business to steer me in the right direction. When I give the cigars as gifts the recipient knows weather they are good cigars or not. Thompson's obviously doesn't care!
 5th of Dec, 2007 by   Angela Warlock 0 Votes
I just ordered my husband some cigars from the catalog. The cigars came but one of the styles was the wrong one. The right cigar name brand , but the wrong style (guess that's how you call it)
I called and they where very rude. They did not care.. I will Never Order From Them Or Go To Their Store
EVER AGAIN.
 14th of Dec, 2007 by   Joe Smith 0 Votes
Same here. Ordering cigars from them once in a while has been successful for me. But I got a call from a lady who could not speak english very well. All I could understand was something about qualifying for free this and free that and 10% off this and would I like a free humidor. Next thing I know I am enrolled in a club membership that is shipping me cigars at regular intervals?
Cancelling the membership seemed easy. Hope it worked and I do not get charged for anything.
 21st of Dec, 2007 by   Don Berry 0 Votes
I have been a member of the Thompson Cigar Club for several years. I looked online and found they were charging me $96 for a box of cigars offered for $65 by many online sites. Same cigar, size, and number. I cancelled my membership immediately!
 31st of Dec, 2007 by   Ozzie Jaime 0 Votes
everyone that has posted something about the experience with Thompson Cigar, I have to ditto their comments. I got coned into subscribing to that cigar club myself. I was told all I had to do is call or e-mail them that I wanted to discontinue, which I did. Come to find out that I just got charged for some cigars that I didn't want. I will never do business with these people again!!!
 7th of Jan, 2008 by   Willliam P. Meisel 0 Votes
Your website is absolutely useless when trying to track the status of an order. I know my order has been delayed which is okay. I even received a call from on of your reps which was okay also, but he tried to sell me something else. I said I would just wait. Seems like your customer service has quite a few complaints that should be easy to correct. I am considering going back to JR Cigar where I have never had any problems. Used to live within 20 miles.
 11th of Jan, 2008 by   JL Collins 0 Votes
I too have had a bad service with Thompson's. I ordered some cigars and after 4 weeks no show I called and the woman told me that they were shipped three weeks prior, That I should give them a few more days, that the mail was possibly slow. Five days later they came and they were post marked the day I called to find out where they were. Can you say LIER. Just tell you screwed up don't lie to me. Never again, now I drive down to JR Cigar.
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by   woodward 697 0 Votes
Thompson cigars is worthless! They tried to sell me everything on the planet when i ordered my cigars. i paid for them 2 months ago and continue to receive the "out of stock" postcards in the mail. Time to cancel my order which should be an adventure in futility!

Mark
 23rd of Jan, 2008 by   B K 0 Votes
I've ordered from Thompson about 6 times and have had a great experience each time. Their $39 humidor+25 cigar offer makes a great gift.
I've tried several of their house brands and think the La Paloma Vintage Reserve is a great cigar. I've also ordered commercial brands through Thompson and they've arrived in good condition.
I didn't find customer service to be bad, though I've not had to call them for any problems yet. They have made a couple of proactive calls several months after my purchase to see how things were going and ask if I'd like to reorder. I'd use them again.
 5th of Feb, 2008 by   Dennis Haft 0 Votes
I have been purchasing their products for some time. I called once because the wrapper was marked NA to find out what it was.The girl gave me a hard time about finding out and di so finally. I agreed to order some and when I checked on the order several days later, I found out that it never was placed. She had quoted me a special price and of course she was just messing with me.

I just ordered some more cigars and of course they called me and tried to get me to join the club. I told them I was already a member but I was not using the club since the cigars I bought didn't qualify. I asked if my order had shipped. He didn't know and wasn't interested in finding out. When I told him for the 3rd time I wasn't joining the club, he hung up on me.
 10th of Feb, 2008 by   Ash 0 Votes
I have had the exact problem as everyone else on this site. After ordering a couple cigars on their website, I received a barrage of phone calls trying to persuade me to join their cigar club. Even though I politely declined their offer everytime, they still signed me up for the club!! I came home one day to find a package with cigars and a $50 invoice. I followed their "simple" return policy only to have my credit card billed anyway. After more than 3 e-mails I finally got the charge off and will NEVER buy anything from their store again. There are much better places to purchase cigars without the hassle. (ie www.famous-smoke.com)
 13th of Feb, 2008 by   Marty Tuttle 0 Votes
Wow! I ordered a few cigars from Thompson and recieved a call a few days later from a person that couldn't speak very well.

I told them at least three times I did not want to join the club. Well...you guessed it! I recieved a box of cigars in the mail and a gift. Enclosed was an invoice for $59.00. It also staed that my next shipment was scheduled for March.

I did not give them my credit card so I guess I might be safe there. I will pay the bill but that was the last straw for me.

Has anyone had luck cancelling the club deal???
 23rd of Feb, 2008 by   Elizabeth Stallo 0 Votes
I understand that the company has been laying off employees and giving the jobs to people who make pennies in other countries like India. Another company that will bit the dust because of greed. Good Ole Capitalism is taking our country down the beaten path. Whoever owes this company does not care about America. Shame on you.

5 Jobs For Animal Lovers