logo

Sky Go Courier Services, UK
Fake Courier Website
2. (22 mins ago)
AT&T
No level of competence in services
3. (57 mins ago)
The Bottled Wealth Holdings
Boiler room wine investment scam (Con't)
4. (1 hr 6 mins ago)
PARCEL HOLD

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sunset Ranches. LLC, Van Horn, Texas, Texas Complaints & Reviews - Sunset Ranches scam

Sunset Ranches. LLC Contacts & Informations

North County Road
Van Horn, Texas, Texas
Phone: 1-561-347-1077
sunsetranches.com
this company advertises in the Pennysaver, City Paper, and online websites. For a number of years, they have offered cheap deals on 20 acre "ranches" in El Paso, Texas. The realty is that the land is "scrubland". Brandi Grissom, reporter for El Paso Times wrote an expose story about the Texas Attorney General, a Judge, et. al failed efforts to stop the land deal scams because a man commited suicide, people have lost their life savings, and the landscape in Sierra Blanca and Van Horn is dotted with old trailers, half buillt shacks, etc. from those who were ceated into this scam. When consumers default on the monthly payments, Sunset Ranches forecloses and takes back the properties. I canceled my contract with them within the seven day period after sigg the contract. This because of finding online that it was a scam. They simply sent me a package with a land plat saying I was owner of 60 acres for 40 acres price. (I fell for that!) It is sadi that what they are doing is barely "legal", but legal none the less. This makes no sense if they misrepresent what their "product" is. Hudspeth County or the State of Texas should assume a more aggressive effort to stop this scam. They get to send tax bills to thousand of duped consumers.
HELP THERE SHOULD BE SOME JUSTICE...
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Mar, 2009 by   Armando +2 Votes
What kind of goonball wrote such comments about Sunset Ranches? Sunset Ranches are honest people and over 2, 000 of the 20 acre parcels have been sold and I can't find too many people that are unhappy with their parcels except the disgruntled person who wrote the negative feedback. I bought 2 20 acre parcels nearly 4 years ago. 325 of my friends bought them as well. So who do you believe (The goonball or me?) If they were a scam, then the Texas Attorney General would have closed them down and the owners would have been arrested. The parcels have gone up in value from $8, 995 to about $16, 000 sine I purchased mine about 4 years ago and they continue to go up in value. They are nice because they are grandfathered under the original zoning laws which means that you can build structure without having to worry about city codes. There is water about 400ft. down and you can drill a well and make your own man-made lake as many have done. I visited there and found that many people have already built their own houses there and are living off solar energy and backup generators. It is quiet and peaceful living there and my prediction is that eventually development will begin there as El Paso is crowded and the next most logical place for expansion in the area is where the parcels of SUnset Ranches are located. Don't believe that pot head who wrote the negative article!
 30th of Mar, 2009 by   Stephanie 0 Votes
I've been dealing with Sunset Ranches for about six years, and have been very pleased with their service. They do not hide information, to my knowledge. They have been very truthful with all of my questions - I verified information, and looked deeper at questionable aspects.

I am purchasing 20 acres for $8, 900. I researched the company and did not find any customer complaints. I also researched Hudspeth County, and its surrounding areas. I was not surprised to find the land is not exactly "prime." Why else would it be $8, 900? The truth is, it is 20 acres - prime or not. I have not seen my land, but I am not so naive as to expect a lavish, rich piece of property - I do know what to expect.

Complaining that the company forecloses on property not paid is not a legitimate reason to call the land deals a scam. I have often gone nearly four months without making a payment, and am informed each time the exact date and time foreclosure will take place as well as the minimum amount of money needed to be removed from foreclosure status. Sunset Ranches provides plenty of warning. There are also few fees associated with default. In fact, Sunset Ranches has one of the more lenient types of bill arrangements I've seen in a long time. They also offer a plan to help those customers unable to avoid foreclosure so the customer does not lose everything.

I was foreclosed on once - my mistake - not Sunset Ranches. My land was immediately transferred to another. When I was able to pay the past due amount, I was placed on a waiting list and when another property became available, I was provided the new land package. I was actually pleasantly surprised with my new plot. It is now about 30 miles closer to El Paso which to me was a plus.

When I do have a chance to visit Texas and see my land, I expect to find rough, mountainous and/or desert land, in a very rural area. This is what I bought, and I was fully aware of it. Is it worth the $8, 900? Its 20 acres! I am fairly certain, that at some point in my life, I will see a benefit of purchasing a plot of land for such a low price.
 19th of May, 2009 by   ScottyMax 0 Votes
I am surprised that the county allows legal 20 acre parcel sizes in the middle of a wasteland. Here in California land like that could not be divided into anything smaller than 640 acres. I guess if you need to fulfill your need of becoming a texas cowboy through an overpriced prepackaged set up then what the hell. Land is only worth what people will pay for it. When a company has to spend huge marketing dollars for a SMALL properties solicited to several small investors, I can assure you that your not getting them deal of the century. You have to ask yourself, what does the property contribute, can you lease the ground, is the any development potential this century for the property, can it be planted to any crops, is any natural resources available, can you find water? If you can't answer any of these questions then the properties real worth is nothing, zip, zadda, zero. The only way the property has any value is your ability to convince someother poor sap that it has value. And since your marketing budget isn't nearly the size of the developers chances are that is going to be extremely difficult.
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   jiminj 0 Votes
I am surprised that someone could accuse Sunset Ranches of running a scam. 20 acres is 20 acres my friend, and in the words of Mark Twain (or any of the other personalities to whom this has been attributed), "Buy land, they ain't making it anymore!" If you bought the land thinking you were going to get a 20 acre tropical resort for $8900, then you are truly the epitome of naivety. $8900 for 20 acres works out to $445 an acre. A steal. And at that price, of course it's not going to be prime real estate, but the point is to buy it as an investment, or to build your dream home if you don't mind well water and solar/wind power. El Paso is expanding... There's no denying that fact, and the logical place for the expansion to head is to the east. I'm holding on to my 20 acres and if I don't see the benefits from it in my lifetime (it's paid off, so I don't even worry about it), maybe my kids will be able to benefit from it. At the very least, I get the bragging rights to tell people that "Yes, I own 20 acres in Texas", and I'm happy with that.
 16th of Sep, 2009 by   CowboyJim 0 Votes
Is it all about sunset ranchs or the people the hire to do their work.Usually is the dead beat, people who drag the roads with old chain link fence and are getting paid to "grade our roads"Yes i am a old cowboy who is broke and lives out here in the ranch area.I have watched a certain short, fat, blonde guy screw over sunset ranchs by hiring poor unsuspecting people to do his work and then he doesnt pay them.
This then leaves a bad taste in everyones mouth about sunset ranchs-its not the owner s creating this bad enviroment its the dozerman person -the man that puts you in his white truck and drives you around and shows you the desert land that is for sale-shoot this guy would lie to his mama to sell you that property and get his commission check from sunset of florida .He does it every day, day in day out just for the buck.
So may be you should blame him instead .sunset just buys sections up, pays him to install roads and signs and to help sell this dead land to people from the cities who only have so much money in their pockets.Its then they find out the cannot survive in the desert with out spending money they dont have.The cycle then repeats.
Most the land in that area sells for about 75.00 to 100.00 per acre and there is tons of it.Go to the local court house and tell them you want to buy some of their back tax property.They will be happy to sell it to you the same way they sell it to anyone.Well i have wasted enough of all our time here.Happy sailing.
James
ps ;
i own mine free and clear too and there is good snake hunting everyday.
 11th of Oct, 2009 by   Danno29 0 Votes
We purchased a 20 acre track about 6 years ago. I have never seen it except on Google Earth, and one day I will most likely sell it. It is a well known fact that Hudspeth county Texas is a waste land for dumping toxic waste and everything in between. Just do a search on Google and type in Hudspeth County Texas. You will see that a bunch of waste from NYC arrives there by train, and lots of other stuff. They are dredging the Hudson River in NY right now. They are digging up PCB's that have been dumped there by General Electric. Guess where the PCB's are going to end up? Probably somewhere close to our land. It is on it's way to Western Texas. Exactly where remains a mistery, but I sure can take a good guess. Anyway, maybe someday a good rich company will want to buy our land so that they can dump there toxic waste on it and polute the ground water even more. Maybe someone will jump out there and stop all the toxic dumping. Your guess is as good as mine.
Danno
 11th of Oct, 2009 by   Danno29 0 Votes

Click this link or copy and paste into your browser. You will be amazed...

Danno
 8th of Dec, 2009 by   Mo Deemi 0 Votes
Does the foreclosure process affect your credit, I heard owner financing does not report to the credit bureaus?
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   desertdog 0 Votes
I bought 20 acres for 7500.00 and now they are selling for 16000.00. I don't know why anyone would label it as "wasteland", it's typical Southwestern brush country. I think it's pretty. There's no 'scam' involved..you look at the properties, and if you want to buy, you buy...Wheres the scam???
 4th of Jan, 2010 by   DocTao +1 Votes
Danno,

Uh when was the last time you did research on the Sludge dump in Sierra
Blanca, Tx. If I recollect the Sludge dump was closed for operation in 2003.
Basically we can hold the past Presidential Administration, prior Governor's
of the Great State of Texas for selling the environmental "Soul" of Texas to
the highest bidder. Sierra Blanca's residents stood standfast and got the
State legislature to halt the transportation and the "processing" of the
Sewage Sludge from NY. This area had been tapped for possible approval
for a Permanent Nuclear Waste Facility.Both high level and low level waste
was to be shipped, trucked or trained to the southwest part of Texas. Again
the stalwart few who gave a serious damn about our Ecological future said
no Nuke garbage in our Backyard. It never happened as of yet. Now I am
a property owner with Sunset Ranches and have yet to have any problem
with the way they do business. Yes people, it is High Desert Land. What does
that mean? Landscapes can go to being similar to the surface of the Moon, to
scrub land known commonly as " arroyo" . It is not your Verdant Green
Paradise, but beauty is often in the eye of the beholder. Yes, amenities are few
but for the select few who are and need be resourceful it can be Paradise Found.
It can and will be a test for the uninitiated, but the Night time skies can be
awesomely inspiring, and the Milky Way can become like and old friend.
Desert land is not for everyone. Not something to be entered into lightly.
If you survive on challenge, and the will to make things happen, you might
find the Desert to be calling out your name. Okay, you might get some
sweltering days during the Summer, but on the average the Temps are in
the Upper Eighties with next to no humidity. Comfortable sleeping weather
at nightime the Mid- Sixties to Mid-Seventies. You get a little wind and a
sandstorm every now and then isn't unusual. As far as I'm concerned it's
new way of Life.
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   seilock +1 Votes
I have a question for every owner of Sunset Ranch. How are you so sure if your lot you bought haven't been sold before? Most lots in texas has been reported on USATODAY that it has been sold more than once. Have anyone made a contact with the county to see if their lot, because all lands have parcel numbers to identify with county and tax, that they are actually the owner or just some goonball paying off a large company until they call bankruptcy and can't be sued?? Do any of you even have a parcel or just going off of what you want to believe? If you haven't seen your land, make note and do go see it. Because owning land for years and not seeing it, well, you might as well buy a car and let someone hold it for you while you make the payments for the next six years.
 18th of Feb, 2010 by   Junkeon +1 Votes
I'm a person who's, at most, happiest with something that I call my own. I've seen my big beautiful piece of God's gift to man and, as you can read, am very content with my perfectly priced piece of desert land. I can see all these discouraging comments come from people who may just want to scare off people from buying or keep their land so that, maybe, they and their friends can go and buy it up to profit from the little guy and basicaly suck our bloods out. Oh well. Some may just be looking for a clue and too scared to go find out for themselves. That's too bad. Mark my word, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and, this is a beauty, to me. Those of you that don't apreciate what is there, you should pull that long rigid cane out and go take a long look at this place. If the view and the breeze don't take your breath away then, this isn't for you. Accept it and move on.
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   Ben Browning +1 Votes
I purchased a 20 acre tract from Sunset Ranhes back in 2000, and I checked with local authorities, city hall, and the BBB, in which they ARE a member. They are fine!!! I rode around and looked at properties with a longhaired cowboy, too bad I don't remember his name. But he was HONEST!!! He did NOT try to sell me a promise of an oilfield, or a gold mine. He told me the shortcomings. The roads are unpaved, and when it rains, and yes, it RAINS, people get stuck!!! The closer your property is to a mountain, the soggier your property will be, due to mountain water runoff. I paid on the land for a year, then defaulted and lost the land, because I had to buy developed property in FL and could not afford 2 properties at the time, and then I fell in love with and married someone who had medical issues and was unable to live under the circumstances in which this land provived!!! What I saw was exactly what I got. I do NOT think Sunset Ranches is a scam!!!
 18th of Apr, 2010 by   Harold Hawley +1 Votes
If you do your homework it's all laid out for you. I grew up in the forth largest city in the United States, have lived in Austin and on Galveston Bay.
I love the desert, the peace and quiet, and the possibility to build the type of green structure I want to live in.
The land is not advertised as lush, heavily vegetated, trees, lake front or anything else except for what it is.
The guy from California is right about the land, but he's wrong about California not selling this type of land except in 640 acres parcels.
On a page like this you can type anything you like. The only problem is with the indignant postures spouting misinformation, it's just a dissapointment to me.
In every state there are agencies designed to protect the public from all kinds of scams, and Texas is one of the best.
If You are going to spend Your money on anything, it's up to You to do Your due diligence.
This property is if you'll pardon the expression "dirt cheap", and during the time I have been looking it's gone up from $50.00 and acre to $200.00. I'm coming all the way out there next week to make a purchase, and by the way, you won't get mineral rights either.
You get what you pay for and Texas desert land is not Beverly Hills, but it's peace and quiet, clean air, with lots of wide open spaces. If you have to have your shopping malls and subdivisions stay where you are. That'll leave a bit more space and less noise for the rest of us who appreciate the opportunities that this situation provides.
If you are undecided, stay at home and figure it out. That will give me more time to find the best property for me.
 19th of Apr, 2010 by   BobHicks +1 Votes
Land is land. Those of us that are property owners out here and Live out here Love It. Im very happy with my land at sunset ranches.
 21st of Apr, 2010 by   landguy74 0 Votes
According to Sunset Ranch's ad in Forbes Magazine April 2010 Edition, this land is located near the proposed "Travel/Space Center". So someone is lying or exagerrating the facts--who could it be? This company, with an excellent track record for selling properties at low cost so that EVERYONE profits or will profit? Or goonballs who are not seeing an immediate profit because they thought it was a get-rich-quick opportunity via real estate? Hmmmmm...I beg to differ. Regardless if this land is being tapped to be a major refuse or sewage waste disposal site, the buyers are investing in this land in an as-is risk type of relationship with the seller and chances are, like every commenter stated on this website, a major corporation will want to purchase this land for their operations to continue processing dumping or a risky developer will come in and decide to develop this land, which is located 50 minutes from El Paso which is growing abundantly by the month!!
 28th of Apr, 2010 by   Steve R. W. +1 Votes
Hello to all,
Well I have discovered an ad by sunset ranches and have begun the process of searching out information on the company, on the land, on the sludge and so on.

We unlike many are interested in the type of land that is being offered. Build green, supply our own energy and so on. With that said we know this is desert land, not a paradise. I do wonder about well water, I have been told to reach water you need to dril 400 feet, I was also told 1200 hundred feet by a sunset agent.

My concer about well water -- Is it safe? On this land? I have read articles about the sludge and so on.

What I am thinking of doing is simply flying in and speaking to the local residents. Hear what they have to say, that or randomly contacting a local business and speaking to whomever answers the phone.

The wife and I would like to bring our horses to this land, have a septic installed, bring our 40 trailer to the land. There are so many questions before this can be done. Hell, will our trailer be washed away! during a storm! Does flash flooding occur on this property?

Anyone with honest answers please feel free to contact me (813) 699-2657 my email address is srwalker2@gmail.com

I will say this I am not dilusional, I realize this is not prime land but exactly the oposite, it is however what we are looking for, no neighbors 20 feet away, rough, rustic, but peacful at the sametime.

ANY HONEST INFO WOULD BE APPRICIATED! hELL IF THE LAND ISN'T CONTAMINATED AND WE WON'T BE WASHED OUT WE ARE HALF WAY THERE.
 14th of May, 2010 by   elopez14 +1 Votes
Well I just finished going to the land plots and in my personal opinion they are land that if you work with it, it will work back with you. I am from El Paso and the drive isnt that bad. To get to a restaurant from fr1111 and 180 is like 5 minutes and then the nearest supermarket from their is exactly 35 minutes to get their which in my opinion is not horrible. I am planning on purchasing a 40 acre lot in these up coming months. Their were people building out their already houses already built(mainly mobile homes) but still they had their septic and what seemed like water containers. I am planning on going fully green from the solar panels and septic system to either drilling a well or having company fill up a tank to keep drinkable water. Scam i wouldnt say it was but its gonna be a very long time before anything develops to that area so dont expect water, electricity, sewage or gas lines. I got to see some horses just running around with a great deal of cows and antelope which is great to see nature at its finest. Overall if you are planning on living off grid and have time to build i say go for it there is dirt road but it seems in certain parts of the roads it gets muddy. We took a nissan versa out while it was dry and had no problems getting around all over the place. Overall its dry like 90% of the time, there is flash flood warnings around that area but next time it seems like it rains i will go out there in my truck and see how it gets. Well if any decid e to buy land around there let me know revedora@yahoo.com my wife and i will be building our own house out their and would be nice to know a few neighbors. Good luck !
 25th of May, 2010 by   TexasLand 0 Votes
Time will tell on this venture. I would love to hear from anyone who has land deed in hand and validated the purchase with the County of Hudspeth.
I just financed 40 Acres through seller but who is to say I will ever see a deed? Like many I am worried "something" will occur beyond my control between now and the next 242 payments that will render my investment null. I rolled the dice; hopefully the company is just and true. I will attempt to determine the validity of this company. Below are my concerns;
- I make payments with nothing that says I own anything., other than a non-official map and plot info from the company. (i am still waiting on the welcome packet - so we will see)
- I provide my SSN to a internet site (crazy me), sounds like a 60 minutes special report coming.
- The company is based in Miami (weird)
- I sent Hudspeth Co land deeds a letter requesting information on that particular area (waiting on a response)
- No one I can verify who actually "owns" land in this area - many are paying but where are the "owners"?
- The land is remote
 26th of May, 2010 by   BobHicks +1 Votes
come out to the ranches I can introduce you to a few people that have a deed in there hands. Depending on which area you bought your property at as there are 4 separate sunset ranches areas. Fabens/fort hancock, Cornudas, Sierra Blanca and from what I have heard there is now one in Pacos area. Some areas have few inhabitants. The ranches around the Fabens areas has around 200 residents. Jack is the developer/owner and they are based out of Miami

Tips How to Avoid and Report Consumer Fraud