logo

Kathrine Lisa,
My Testimonies how I got a loan
4. (21 mins ago)
Pfizer / Tetracycline
Tetracycline staining of the teeth
5. (28 mins ago)
xpressbet.com
Don’t deal with them and you won’t earn money from them

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Security Networks Complaints & Reviews - Stay away at all costs!

Security Networks Contacts & Informations

Security Networks

Posted:    Goldie

Stay away at all costs!

In 2002, we got Alarm-One security system installed in our home in Hoffman Estates (IL). The contract for the equipment was signed for 3 yrs, after which we were told we could cancel at any time. Now (May 2007) we have moved to New Jersey and want to cancel our service. But during this time the accounts in that area have been sold to another company called "Security Networks". We were advised by Alarm-One to now contact Security Networks to cancel. But the customer service at Security Networks told us different things to do every time we called in when the service was still not disconnected. We were told to send in mail, e-mails, fax and request cancellation. We have done all of the above but still they haven't taken any action. It has been months and since we are set-up for auto-payment Security Networks is still withdrawing $40 regularly from our account. Every time we call they make us hold for hours and then tell us to fax/e-mail again etc. Also, now they have come up with a new tactic, they are telling us that we are still under contract and we will owe the remainder of the term amount. In spite of the fact that we signed the contract in 2002 and it was over in 2005. In addition, we have been treated very badly by the customer-service dept. and have even been asked to "get off my (their) phone". This problem has lead to a wastage of a lot of time and money and not to mention the mental anguish.

If their is anyone planning to get a security system from "Security Networks" I want to warn you that DO NOT ever do that!!!

Hope this will help some innocent customer before he/she takes the bait.

- Mischa

Comments United States Security Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Aug, 2007 by   Brenda Elkis -2 Votes
As my mother is 89 years old we talked to a salesman for Security Networks and agreed to pay $100 for pendant, free installation charges and $42.50 monthly for the alarm system, lease of equipment, etc. (after he left I noticed the pendant was to be free and installation $100 - w hat a laugh) We gave a blank check to the salesman to start automatic payments and the first thing that happened in two weeks is a telemarketer had gotten into the account and took $399. My mom is confused and doesn't remember things and somehow that telemarketer had to HAVE HAD HER BANK INFO when he called her for she'd not even know how to give it out to him. Of course I'm aware some of them just have CONFUSED people to read ALL the numbers on the bottom of the check then record that AS PROOF they ordered crap!!!

So I canceled her account at bank and called Security Networks - the people here in WVa were nasty and said I had to give them NEW bank information as I signed a contract. I laughed and told them "take me to court" - somehow checking information got out to THIEVES right after I gave a blank check to your company !!! She referred me to main company and they did agree to send me a bill. Well it's been in almost a month and NO BILL - I called them and told them "don't even think about adding late charges on this account as YOU have not sent the bill and won't give me proper address to send it to???"

I cannot prove this alarm company gave out that information, but BEWARE as 90% of their customers are handicapped, old and mental challenged and confused, etc. -

On another note, the system works fine - we tested it and folks did talk to us thru the monitoring system - both via using the pendant buttons and setting off burglar alarm. Also I can call my mother and punch in certain information and actually listen to what goes on in the house or if I call and get no answer I can choose to speak to her via the monitor myself and if she would not answer I'd go up and call 911, etc. I really like that feature. Of course my Mom - forgets how it works, etc. and my son has to help her - I was told the contract was for FIVE years and in reading it NOPE it is for three and will be automatically renewed if I don't cancel.
 3rd of Aug, 2008 by   Suzie O'Reilly -2 Votes
I agree this company is unethical. They have 111 complaints on the BBB website in Fla. I am currently in a dispute with them. Stay away from them!
 22nd of Apr, 2009 by   Sean Dixon -2 Votes
Talk about deja vu. Everything written above is identical to what I am going through. I sent in my cancellation letter via certified mail as they require, it costs almost $12 to send a certified letter. Now they send me a letter saying that they have been trying to contact me by phone. They have not. The letter also states that if I don't call them they will assume I changed my mind and will renew my contract anyway. These people are crooks and should be shut down. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Borough, so have over 100 other people. Whatever you do, do not get involved with this company.
 4th of Jun, 2009 by   Karen 0 Votes
Thanks to all who have posted. I just finished talking with a salesman who came to my door. I was almost sold but I'd call him when my husband got home. Glad I did. There aren't any complaints to the BBB in Ohio where I live, yet. Looks like I'll avoid being the first to complain.
 6th of Jul, 2009 by   bird1317 0 Votes
I completely agree! I'm in a dispute with Secuirty Networks over an alarm system for a home I sold 18 months ago because of job relocation. I've just been told that they've renewed my contract for another year because they didn't recieve a written cancellation notice.
This is a terrible company; don't ever get involved with them!
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   Lefty1222 -1 Votes
Wow! Same experience. This company is a scam for real. Now I filed a complaint and they responded (in their usual rude way) that they cannot honor my request because they require a 60 day written notice. Ironically, someone from the company called recently and left a message to contact them (rude voice). I am writing my State Representative so that others will not fall privy to what I am going through. READ the fine print because they will not tell you.
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   Tracy1878 -1 Votes
Like Karen above me, these folks came to my door here in Ohio. They wanted to put a sign in my front yard advertising their service, and to compensate me for letting them do that, they were going to install a free system. While it may have been a good deal, the monthly monitoring fee is 49.99 (of course they told me that is the rate they charge employees, and that they weren't making any money off me, yeah right). They wanted to install right then and there and when I hesitated saying I wanted to speak to my husband first, I was told it was now or never. Of course if someone doesn't want to give you time to look over contracts, that always throws up a big red flag for me. While the 2 men that came to my door were very nice and polite, it did take a while for them to accept my "No" and move on to other neighbors.
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   KARLMORTIMER +3 Votes
SECURITY NETWORKS IS A MONITORING FACILITY BASED OUT OF FLORIDA. THIS FACILITY IS CALLED "MARLIN STATION". THE WAY THIS COMPANY OPERATES IS JUST LIKE ADT, BRINKS, GUARDIAN, VECTOR AND A FEW OF THE OTHER NATIONWIDE COMPANIES. THEY USE "DEALERS" OR "AFFILIATES" TO OBTAIN CUSTOMERS TO USE THEIR CENTRAL STATION SERVICES.

THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE HAD A PERSON COME KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR ARE BEING APPROACHED BY ONE OF THESE OUTSIDE AFFILIATES. IT IS THEIR JOB TO PROMOTE A FREE ALARM PACKAGE IN LIEU FOR YOUR NEW 24 HOUR MONITORING SUBSCRIPTION. BASIC, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THIS FREE ALARM PACKAGE, YOU HAVE TO BE A HOMEOWNER. YOU MUST HAVE AN ACCEPTABLE CREDIT SCORE, AND YOU MUST SUBSCRIBE TO A MINIMUM OF 36 MONTHS OF MONITORING SERVICES. THE MONTHLY RATE FOR SERVICE VARIES FROM STATE TO STATE.

THE MONITORING SERVICE AGREEMENT IS VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD. IT HAS A RENEWAL CLAUSE. IT SAYS THAT THE AGREEMENT RENEWS FOR THE ORIGINAL TERM. I.E. IF YOU SIGNED A 36 MONTH AGREEMENT, THE CONTRACT RENEWS FOR ANOTHER 3 YEARS AT THE TERMS YOU STARTED WITH.

THE REASON FOR THIS IS BECAUSE ONCE THAT RATE IS RENEWED, IT IS NOT GOING TO INCREASE.

IF YOU READ THE PART THAT TELLS YOU ABOUT RATE INCREASES, YOU WILL FIND THAT IF THE COMPANY SENDS YOU A RATE INCREASE NOTICE, WHICH THEY MUST DO 30 DAYS PRIOR MAKIING IT EFFECTIVE, THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECLINE THAT INCREASE, AS LONG AS DO SO 10 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE INCREASE DATE.

THEN, THE COMPANY HAS THE RIGHT TO KEEP YOUR CONTRACT AT THE SAME RATE YOU ARE PAYING AND TO KEEP THE AGREEMENT IN FORCE WITHOUT ANY CHANGES TO IT, FOR THE TERM OF THAT AGREEMENT.
OR THEY WILL CANCEL THE AGREEMENT WITH NO RECOURSE TO THE CUSTOMER. WHICH DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO DO?

IN ESSENCE, SECURITY NETWORKS OFFERS A FIXED RATE THAT CANNOT INCREASE. THIS IS WHY THEY PROMOTE AUTOMATICA RENEWAL OF THAT AGREEMENT. IT IS ACTUALLY A HIDDEN BENEFIT TO THOSE CUSTOMERS WHO CONTINUE ON FOR MANY YEARS. WHICH IS THE ENTIRE SPIRIT OF THE PROGRAM, TO OBTAIN LONG TERM RELATIONSHIPS.

AS SUCH, YOU CAN ALSO SEND IN WRITTEN NOTICE, AT ANYTIME PRIOR TO 90 DAYS BEFORE THE END OF THE AGREEMENT STATING THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAVE THE CONTRACT AUTOMATICALLY RENEW AND THAT YOU WOULD AGREE TO A TERM OF MONTH TO MONTH SERVICE.

MY AFFILIATE WHO SOLD ME MY SYSTEM GAVE ME A FORM LETTER THAT HAD EVERYTHING PREPARED FOR ME! THEY EXPLAINED THIS AUTOMATIC RENEWAL AND TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT VERY PROFESSIONALLY AND DISCLOSED EVERYTHING TO ME UP FRONT.

I SENT MY NOTICE IN THE SAME WEEK THEY INSTALLED MY SYSTEM. I WAS CALLED BY CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY ASKED ME IF I WAS CANCELLING THE SERVICE AND I TOLD THEM THAT I WAS NOT. I WAS MERELY EXERCISING MY RIGHT TO NULL THE AUTOMATIC RENEWAL OF MY AGREEMENT AND THAT I WAS WILLING TO CONTINUE MY AGREEMENT UPON THE EXPIRATION OF MY ORIGINAL TERM ON A MONTH TO MONTH BASIS.

CUSTOMER SERVICE ACKNOWLEDGED MY NOTICE AND NOTED MY ACCOUNT. I HAVE BEEN A CUSTOMER WITH THEM FOR 8 YEARS. MY RATE IS STILL THE SAME AS THE DAY I ENTERED INTO IT, $39.95 PLUS MARYLAND STATE TAX. I HAVE BOTH OF THEIR SERVICES INCLUDING TWO WAY VOICE AND CELLULAR BACKUP. MY SYSTEM IS UNDER WARRANTY STILL! I NEVER PAY MORE THAN $25.00 FOR A SERVICE CALL. I HAVE HAD MY PHONE LINE CHANGED FROM VERIZON TO COMCAST, SECURITY NETWORKS CAME OUT AND HOOKED MY ALARM SYSTEM BACK UP AGAIN AND ONLY CHARGED ME $25.00. THEY ALSO CAME OUT AND UPGRADED MY OLD ANALOG CELLULAR BACKUP UNIT TO THE NEW HONEYWELL DIGITAL UNIT AT NO CHARGE!

THEY ARE AN OUTSTANDING COMPANY IN MY OPINION AND I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE SERVICING MORE THAN 125, 000 CUSTOMERS NOW. I THINK YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE. THE NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS I HAVE FOUND ON-LINE VERSES THE NUMBER OF SATISFIED CUSTOMERS IS NOT A BAD RATIO.

I AM SURE SECURITY NETWORKS WILL DO EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER TO RESOLVE THESE ISSUES, I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN THEM AS ONE OF THEIR HIGHLY SATISFIED CUSTOMERS.

KARL
HARFORD COUNTY MARYLAND
CUSTOMER OF : SECURITY PRO'S INC. A HONEYWELL ALARM DISTRIBUTOR AND SECURITY NETWORK INSTALLATION AFFILIATE
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   tim wil 0 Votes
a young man from secuity networks came to my door. he wanted to get a sign in my yard to do some adverising and he and the company paid for my new honeywell system, i paid no installation or activation, nothing up front and just forty a month, he explained everything to me just fine and answered all my questions. i got broke into a couple times in the past ten years or so, and have been needing a system. it works perfect and the customer service is great, i dont know what all you guys are complaining about but i got a super good deal and security networks really takes care of me. thanks,
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   SCOTT DELO +1 Votes
i agree, i have been with security networks for about 8 years now and havent had one problem, when i did, they came out and took care of it for me, and even replaced all my batteries for free. THEY ARE NOT AN A PLUS WITH THE BETTER BUISNESS FOR NO REASON. THEY ARE A GREAT COMPANY AND I AM GLAD I SWITHCED FROM ADT
 6th of Oct, 2010 by   KellyMK -1 Votes
Wow!!!... After checking out 7-8 different security companies; so we could choose the one that best fit our needs, I found the same complaints with ""ALL OF THEM!"" Check it out for yourselves! ADT, Alarm Force, Monotronics, Brinks, Secruity Networks, I could go on and on...the rep for Security Networks explained everything up front and went over every detail of the contract..(yes-I agree, these long contracts are ridiculous--there should be a law against it but they ALL prey on our desire to keep our families safe, etc). Maybe they have to purchase lines, or whatever... so that's why they do long term contracts...I guess we all need to do more research! Who do you turn to if they all have the same issues and you want a security system? We will be going with Security Networks (Central Ohio location)...I felt the most comfortable with them, etc.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   Jim 1975 +1 Votes
NOTE: ALL OF THESE NATIONWIDE ALARM COMPANIES HAVE COMPLAINTS. HOWEVER, BEING A FORMER POLICE OFFICER AND NOW AN ALARM SYSTEM CUSTOMER, I AM GLAD I WENT WITH SECURITY NETWORKS. THEY HAVE NOT INCREASED MY RATE AND BECAUSE I HELPED THEM ADVERTISE BY POSTING THEIR SIGN IN MY YARD THEY PROVIDED ME A SYSTEM AT NO COST. IN ADDITION, THEY WAIVED THE ACTIVATION AND INSTALLATION CHARGES. I AM GLAD I WENT WITH SECURITY NETWORKS. ALSO, PLEASE NOTE THEY ARE RATED A PLUS ON THE BBB. CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.SECURITYNETWORKS.NET. THEY MAY HAVE A FEW COMPLAINTS BUT WHAT BUSINESS DOES NOT HAVE A FEW UNSATISFIED CUSTOMERS? AS A FORMER POLICE OFFICER AND KNOWING A LOT ABOUT ALARM SYSTEMS, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SECURITY NETWORKS. AWESOME COMPANY AND AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SALES TEAMS THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   Jim 1975 0 Votes
PS I ALSO NOTICED THEY HAD VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE SALES AND SECURITY CONSULTANTS. THIS WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO ME. THEY UNDERSTOOD HOW TO SET UP A SYSTEM IN A HOME AND COVER THE MOST VULNERABLE AREAS OF MY HOME.

AGAIN, GREAT JOB SECURITY NETWORKS!

19th of May, 2011 by   Teamb -1 Votes
sounds like all the complaints come from people who don't read what they sign their name to!! READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!! if you believe everything people tell you, don't complain!!!
 19th of May, 2011 by   Lovinthealarm +1 Votes
Anyone that signs their name to something should realize they are promising to fulfill their part of the contract. And therefore READ what they are signing. I have security networks and they have been great with NO surprises BECAUSE I read what I signed my name to. Also when you get a new system from security networks they have a recorded phone call reviewing the details on the contract which you can ask questions too. So I really don't know how anyone could try to blame the company for their own actions. I guarantee if someone tried to sue them they would lose because of how clear they are. One note: if you are buying a system from a door to door salesman you can negotiate the monitoring price pretty low and get lots of free equipment, just be nice to the person. That's what I did.
 20th of May, 2011 by   okiewoman 0 Votes
Please be advised that if you sign a 5-year contract with this company, THERE IS NO BUYOUT OPTION. You will be required to pay for the full 5 years, no matter what. It does not matter if you must move for your job. They could not care less about any circumstances. You will be stuck, as I am. Their customer service personnel were rude and obnoxious, as well. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Period.
 8th of Jun, 2011 by   Whatsdatbuttondo 0 Votes
Security Networks has been a great company o me. As far as the contract goes, they haves military clause that will void the contract for military related needs to cancel. I like what all the other people have said about reading the contract. Sure there may be some shady sales people out there, but it is ultimately up to you to read the contract. Thad representative in Va Beach was very up front and honest about everything. I have had pushy salesmen come to my door, but security networks let me ask questions and let me decide what I wanted. I would highly recommend security networks to anyone.
 8th of Jun, 2011 by   Whatsdatbuttondo 0 Votes
To add to my previous comment, I used to be with ADT, but they wanted to charge me for new equipment, plus raise my monthly rate and charge me to have it installed. Security networks didn't charge me a dime for the new touchscreen panel with the cell chip included in it or for the installation. Plus they gave me more sensors to protect the rest of my home. I would have had to pay about $800 to get that from ADT. If you do your homework, you will agree that security networks is a great company and have the best deal I have seen.
 15th of Jun, 2011 by   keeley120 0 Votes
I agree with the initial complaint, totally! My husband and I have had our system for 2 years, and this is the most incomptetent company I've had the misfortune of dealing with. We're paying for a monitering system that doesn NOT moniter!!! The customer support people are rude, and crude, and after at least 20 attempts to get them to fix the system, we have given up.
Stay away from this company, if you're looking for dependable service, with good support!
 20th of Jun, 2011 by   hd320 0 Votes
I have had security networks for about a year now in Houston and everything has been perfectly fine. The system works great and the salesmen explained the contract to me in full before I signed anything. Also my neighbors signed with the same company a few years back and have had no complaints whatsoever.

Why The Rich Stash Money Offshore