logo

Axiom or Smartkurve or Edknovate
Axiom are the Worst Agent in Bangkok
2. (12 mins ago)
BB&T Bank
They will flat ruin you!
3. (14 mins ago)
Scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

SEARS KENMORE ELITE FRENCH DOOR REFRIGERATOR Complaints & Reviews - Dept of Energy Agreement does not compensate me properly

SEARS KENMORE ELITE FRENCH DOOR REFRIGERATOR Contacts & Informations

SEARS KENMORE ELITE FRENCH DOOR REFRIGERATOR

Posted:    guillot163

Dept of Energy Agreement does not compensate me properly

SEARS LG
THE US DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY REACHED AN AGREEMENT WITH LG ELECTRONICIS IN REFERENCE TO SEARS TRIO & ELITE FRENCH DOOR REFRIGERATOR/FREEZERS WITH THROUGH THE DOOR ICE/WATER, WITH MODEL NUMBERS STARTING WITH 795, MANUFACTURED BY LG.
The above described units have lost their Energy Star rating, are not energy efficient, and if you 'Google' DOE AGREEMENT LG REFRIGERATOR ENERGY, you will find that; LG manufactured the Sears French Door refrigerator / freezer, and that LG knew of the US Dept. of Energy's procedures for confirming claims made by the manufacturer (LG) in order to obtain the Energy Star rating (this is also the monetary amounts shown on the yellow tag that advise you as the amount of money this unit should cost to operate for one year), and with that knowledge, LG maliciously and intentionally inserted a circuit board, that would recognize the fact that DOE testing was occuring, and would shut down certain operations of the product, so that a false reading would show the utilization of less electricity than the unit would really utilize in your home or during testing.
LG being aware that the seal on the doors are not keeping in the cold, and the front doors are insulated improperly, especially in the area of the ice maker (this is why if you touch the font doors, they are cold, the sides are not), hence, a refrigerator that is statically giving off too much cold air, and not keeping the cold inside the refrigerator, and doubling the cost of the operation of the unit.
LG knowing all of this, placed in the circuit board, an ap that when certain criteria was met (as in testing, AND during your your personal use, etc.) the unit would shut down the operation of the refrigerator/freezer, thus falsely reporting a lower energy useage. The ap shuts down the part of the unit that keeps the humidiy low (frost free) in the refrigerator and freezer, thus when a certain ambient temperture in a certain area of the refrigerator/freezer unit is reached, the unit shuts down, resulting in food & drink in the refrigerator being covered in condensation, uneven cooling, foods not being kept at 40 degrees or less (as required when refrigeration is required of a food), and now the need of your residence's HVAC system to compensate for the energy loss from the refrigerator into your kitchen, etc.
This now explains why I must set the thermostat temps far below 40 degrees in the refrigerator and far below zero in the freezer, to keep food cold and or frozen. It explains why the inside of my refrigerator is always full of condensation, and different areas are different temperatures.
LG agreed with DOE that they are willling to send a tech out to replace the circuit board, so that your energy consumption doubles, while it is alledged that inside the refrigerator and freezer the humidity will be kept low and free of frost, while not fixing the front doors problem.
LG is will to send the consumer 7-30 dollars, per year, for a period UP TO 14 years as compensation for additional energy uesage of the unit.
Why has no one sued SEARS & LG yet? This would be a class, and the circuit board, already caught by DOE, which LG has admitted to fraudulently placing in the unit, is evidence against LG, proving intentional fraud. The amount to make me whole again is much more than $4 a year.
Sears has made no attempt to contact me in this matter. Calls to Sears are fruitless, as they claim to not know anything about this matter. Calls to LG result in being told that since I didn't send my registration card in, they could not find me to notify me, even though I paid for it through my Sears account.
Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Feb, 2009 by   rob +1 Votes
Are you willing to join a class action suit? I have this refrigerator, have replaced the icemaker 4 times and Sears is unwilling to do anything about it. I got LG's check, with no explanation of what it was for, and I finally found out today about this. Sick and wrong! Sears has not given the American public the service they deserve. They no longer want to back the products they sell.
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   rob +2 Votes
Sears Sucks and their lack of customer services says it all. Shame on everyone one of the board members too. Here's another one of America's Stores that has sold out to the almighty dollar and could care less about customer service. Just try to buy me off by sending us a check...If it was just that easy.
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   RLR +2 Votes
This is the worst refrigerator we've ever owned, and we 've always bought Sears apliances for over 40 years. 3 months after the purchase the interior light stayed on and melted the plastic housing resulting in all the food stored in the refrigerator section, and partially in the freezer being ruined. Sears replaced the light panel, but the repairman had no clue as to why it happened. Of course they didn't pay for the ruined food, but did replace the light, since we thankfully had a $400 maintenance aggreement. We'll never buy a Sears appliance again.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   gws +2 Votes
I am so dissatisfied with LG products. We own an LG Washer and Dryer, which there is a class-action lawsuit being considered right now. At the same time we bought an LG dishwasher which has given us nothing but grief - having been completely rebuilt once and is still having issues along with the rollers on the trays breaking - what a disaster! So we have enough of LG and decide to purchase from Sears a new refrigerator and out of the magic hat comes another LG product. L(ifes)G(ood)!!! Now it appears that they along with Sears have duped the consumer again. Our frig (the most expensive we have ever had) has been a nighmare - cannot regulate the proper temp - is either freezing in the fresh food drawers and not keeping the freezer portion cold enough - the doors are cold on the outside. And they - LG (and apparently supported by Sears) want to compensate me a meager amount of cash each year??? Read Sears website on this at www.kenmoretriorefrigeratoroffer.com. And please notice this is an "offer" NOT a recall on a knowingly defect product intentionally manufactured by LG and marketed through Sears.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   DAR +2 Votes
I have had many of the same problems, including the interior light staying on and melting the plastic housing (luckily I smelled a burning odor before the food went bad), the food freezing in the fresh food drawers, and the ice maker breaking on multiple occasions over the 2 years we have had this particular refrigerator. I say 'this particular refrigerator' because Sears had to replace our original refrigerator (same model) because the interior lining was coming out. In the 6 mos we owned the first refrigerator, we also replaced the ice maker as well as one of the door latches. With both, the ice maker tends to con't to make ice until it overflows, shuts down the mechanism, and causes the ice to melt! And items in the freezer build-up a great deal of frost, but the repairman can find no problem. Our most recent problem involved significant ice build-up around the circulation fan behind the freezer section. Sears apparently was award of the problem as they have a special kit (essentially a template and some screws) to reattach the lining of the freezer.
 20th of Feb, 2009 by   Leslie Simmons +2 Votes
I favor a class action lawsuit on these LG Trio refrigerators regarding the energy lfalse advertisement. This is by far the worse refrig. I have ever purchased. Tried to send it back after a few months and I would had to pay a 30% stocking fee. Well hopefully they will regret this offer to me. Anyone interested in starting a classaction????
 21st of Feb, 2009 by   Donna +2 Votes
We have had nothing but problems with the Sears Elite Trio refrigerator - mainly the ice-maker. It functions when it feels like it - we can have a full complement of ice one day and none the next - and it doesn't start again for 1-3 days. I had a repairman out and he took the bottom section apart. He showed me the ice build-up
around the circulation fan behind the freezer section - took him over an hour to melt all the accumulated ice using the sink faucet. I also purchased a new service contract so I wouldn't have to pay for this service call separately (and I figured the problems were not over). - Right again - The problem has occurred twice more since the service call.
We didn't know the appliance was made by LG, but knowing that, I will never buy another LG or Sears appliance (and we have had Sears appliances for 35 years).
The appliance is defective and now it seems the energy rating was intentionally misrepresented - We would
be interested in joining a class action lawsuit - I don't want a few dollars a year - I want a NEW REFRIGERATOR!
Donna
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   kathleen Proctor +1 Votes
Amen to that Donna! I want a new refrigerator also, I purchased my refrigerator the last of Aug. 2008 and my electric bill jumped, my ice maker throws ice everywhere when you try to get cubes, repairman says nothing he can do about it. Sears used to care about what people thought about there products, but that is not the case anymore. You
can be sure I will join in a class action lawsuit.
Kathy
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   John +1 Votes
Have had to defrost fridge manually several times, have ice maker turned off, Just found out about notice. Has any repair actually fixed the problem? Very interested in new fridge that works. John
 3rd of Mar, 2009 by   Cynthia +1 Votes
I, too, have had problems with my ice maker many times since I purchased it a year ago. It has been replaced once. I also have gotten the notice about the energy savings. It seems to me that they have gotten off pretty easy on that deal. I believe they had to know they were marketing a product that didn't meet the standards. I think they know the icemaker is defective and haven't done much about it. I never buy an after purchase warranty but thought I should because of the icemaker and that makes me mad. I was 1 day late in calling in for the warranty and they wanted to charge me another $20 for 1 year. They were even snippy about it. I am willing to join a class action suit if there is one.
 4th of Mar, 2009 by   FEL +1 Votes
LG sent a tech. out to replace the main board in my side by side, bottom freezer fridge.. It now runs all the time. Before it cycled as it should. But now the only time the fridge shuts down, is in defrost mode. LOL. What a piece of junk. They also put a foam strip behind the door gaskets to make it seal better.What a jerry rig way of fixing a problem . Never again will I buy anything from LG .
 4th of Mar, 2009 by   FEL +1 Votes
The reason the interior light stays on and melts the plastic, is due to LG not installing the thermostat that turns the light off if it gets too hot. The tech told me when they repaced one of these lights that melted, the new light has a sensor that turns the light off so it will not get too hot. He said that the light they installed at the factory also had a place for this safety device but LG did not install them. This was probably done to save LG money.
 19th of Mar, 2009 by   qteepie702 +1 Votes
I am in foavor of a class action laswuit. Contace me if you a interested. I am going to contact an attorney. Karen qteepie702@yahoo.com
 19th of Mar, 2009 by   qteepie702 +1 Votes
Lets get a class action going. I am so mad I cant even spell right!
 21st of Mar, 2009 by   Irate_Mike +1 Votes
There is definitely a class action brewing. Check out the lgfridgefury.org website. I've already sent in my contact information to join the class action lawsuit. Looks like the media could get involved to help us all. I told the guy I was willing to speak with the media about this too.
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   Neight 0 Votes
I too am in this same boat and and agree that the best course of action here would be to file a class action lawsuit against LG or get the media involved and maybe put the pressure on Sears to allow us to exchange the fridge for a different one. If anyone can get the ball rolling please contact me... karma4life88@hotmail.com
 27th of Mar, 2009 by   Gary 0 Votes
I too want my money back and to send a message to LG and Sears that they have to pay for their deception to the public. I can not believe we are going to accept their quick fix with some foam and the small check every year; I want an energy savings refrigerator that I thought I was paying for. LG and Sears you SUCK and you owe me a new refrigerator. Gary gskato@aol.com
 1st of Apr, 2009 by   Teresa 0 Votes
I guess we aren't alone. We've had problems with the ice maker freezing up. The newest thing is that one of the door latches has broken off...no way to repair w/out replacing the ENTIRE DOOR SYSTEM, at our expense.
Where do we sign up for the class action suit?
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   punkus 0 Votes
I would be leery of cashing that check. These refrigerators have so many problems, some of which are very serious. There are numerous message boards detailing how the the fan and the light bulb issues mentioned above have caused fires. The ice makers and freezers break repeatedly - they are basically unfixable. Repairmen in my area won't service LG's any longer and my repairman's "fix" was to "get a new fridge." He said these are the worst, and they can't be fixed permanently.

By cashing the check, you can't benefit from any future lawsuit, and I could see one coming. I cashed my check; and two weeks later I experienced my first (of many) ERR FF errors in which the fan breaks down and the refrigerator stops working. Two year old, $2500 fridge. I remember my parents had their Frigidaire (sp?) for ~25 years with not a day of maintenance.
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   mnh 0 Votes
We have had our LG French Door Refrigerator 15 months, three months past the warranty. My lights and everything pertaining to the door sensors have just gone out. We were lucky they stayed off instead of staying on and melting their housing. I don't want to pay for repairs for a refrigerator that is continually going to have problems, in addition to the engergy rating fiasco. I refused the "fix" and check. Please post any information about a class action suit. These refrigerators are nothing but problems and I want my money back so I can buy a something reliable.

Flight Risk